TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 02:41 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, teen star Miley Cyrus, using a BONG.

http://www.people.com/people/article...00.html?hpt=T2
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B95V620101210

And while we're at it she just bought a $1.8 million condo. Can you think of anyone more worthy of 1.8 million dollars?

Last edited by FlyingTrue; December 11th 2010 at 03:09 AM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 537191 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 03:30 AM

What annoys me more is people commenting on celebrities and criticising them like this. For starters, there are plenty of non-celebrities who take drugs every day, so where are the public videos humiliating them and the personal criticism against them? Also, if the stories are to be believed (and we really have no proof against them), Miley wasn't doing anything illegal anyway. What she did wasn't really any worse than people drinking alcohol, another legal drug.

Just because she is a celebrity doesn't mean that she can't make mistakes and it certainly doesn't give any of us the right to criticise her when I'm sure we've all made mistakes as well. A large number of teenagers end up doing unintelligent things, especially when hit with the shock that comes from parents getting divorced.

I'm not saying that what Miley did was intelligent or "right" by any means. But I hardly think judging someone I don't know is the "right" thing to do either. Perhaps having more compassion for people who have absolutely no privacy and are judged constantly on every tiny action would be a better course of action?

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
What annoys me more is people commenting on celebrities and criticising them like this. For starters, there are plenty of non-celebrities who take drugs every day, so where are the public videos humiliating them and the personal criticism against them? Also, if the stories are to be believed (and we really have no proof against them), Miley wasn't doing anything illegal anyway. What she did wasn't really any worse than people drinking alcohol, another legal drug.

Just because she is a celebrity doesn't mean that she can't make mistakes and it certainly doesn't give any of us the right to criticise her when I'm sure we've all made mistakes as well. A large number of teenagers end up doing unintelligent things, especially when hit with the shock that comes from parents getting divorced.

I'm not saying that what Miley did was intelligent or "right" by any means. But I hardly think judging someone I don't know is the "right" thing to do either. Perhaps having more compassion for people who have absolutely no privacy and are judged constantly on every tiny action would be a better course of action?
i agree with this....

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 03:38 AM

Nope sorry but when you are a celebrity you are held to different standards. ESPECIALLY if you are a role model for thousands of young girls. And she knows she is, and she can't say that she didn't mean to be one or didn't want to be one because that's bull it comes with the job and everyone knows it. So yeah if she was a nobody who the heck cares, the fact is girls look up to her and that's a responsibility she's not capable of taking seriously.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Nope sorry but when you are a celebrity you are held to different standards. ESPECIALLY if you are a role model for thousands of young girls. And she knows she is, and she can't say that she didn't mean to be one or didn't want to be one because that's bull it comes with the job and everyone knows it. So yeah if she was a nobody who the heck cares, the fact is girls look up to her and that's a responsibility she's not capable of taking seriously.
Except she didn't really get a choice. Her father was famous and that automatically puts her in the spotlight. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she was pushed into this career. She was 11 when she auditioned for Hannah Montana; hardly old enough to make the decision to spend the rest of her life as a "role-model", don't you think?

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 03:50 AM

I agree with Shimmering Faerie.

She is under so much pressure and whatnot. Also, she practically born famous. She didn't chose fame, fame chose her because she is the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus.

I don't agree with her decision to do salvia, but she doesn't need endless criticism.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post

Except she didn't really get a choice. Her father was famous and that automatically puts her in the spotlight. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she was pushed into this career. She was 11 when she auditioned for Hannah Montana; hardly old enough to make the decision to spend the rest of her life as a "role-model", don't you think?
The thing is it doesn't matter. She is one, and there's no way around it. So she needs to grow up and realize that if she does things like this, of course she's gonna get slammed. We might not think it's right, but it's the way our society works. We let our kids pick fake characters as role models and then expect that actual person to behave perfectly because our kids are looking up to them. It sucks but it's the way of the world, it's the life she has.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 06:21 AM

If that was the way our society worked then there would be a law stating that anyone in the public eye will not have any rights to privacy, being able to do whatever they want in their own dwelling, own a gun, etc. This is America, you have freedom to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't impinge on other people's rights. Now just wait till she kisses another girl on stage like Britney.

Last edited by Gram Negative; December 11th 2010 at 06:38 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 09:49 PM

Honestly, I am surprised to see Miley like that. She's still young though, so I think it's pretty unfair to expect her to be a perfect role model. She is still at the point in life when you're supposed to explore the world and figure out who you are.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 10:14 PM

http://perezhilton.com/2010-12-10-mi...smoking-salvia

If any of you have ever done pot or been around people who have been smoking pot, you'll notice her behaviour in the video is really not typical of one bong hit. I do believe there's a good chance it's salvia, which is legal. If she were caught with a can of beer in her hand, even though she is underage, do you geniunely think people would make such a fuss on the role model thing. Also, it's pretty clear she's never done this before, she's being instructed on how to use a bong, and totally freaked out.

I have to say, if her friend ratted her out, she needs new friends.

She's 18, she was in her own house, celebrating a birthday with friends. She took one bong hit of a probably legal substance. People need to back off. This sort of pressure will make her go crazy. If people didnt lap it up so much, no one would bother publishing it.

Also, if I'm honest, I really, geniunely, don't see an 11 year old girl deciding 'Miley Cryus did salvia, now I want too!' and managing to get hold of it. And if there are mid-teen fans, with more access to such things, you can't really blame Miley, as they are old enough to decide on their own actions. At the very max, Miley would have made them aware of the existance of salvia (most people dont seem to know about it, but now they do lol).

Not to mention, watch the video, Miley is ridiculasly annoying, and needs to be slapped when high. If anyone wanted to imitate that, they should also be slapped.

EDIT: we destroy these girls that we make 'role models' with the expectations of them. Just look at Lindsay Lohan. Then they become worse role models until they are no bodies.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 10:26 PM

I couldn't give a flying fudge if she takes salvia or not to be honest. I don't agree with her being a "role model" in general. Childrens parents should be their role models, they shouldn't stick them in front of the TV and hope Miley Cyrus will babysit them ¬____¬

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 11th 2010, 11:53 PM

Yeah, I pretty much don't care. So someone in the music industry is doing something that is sorta drug like. It must be a slow news day.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 12th 2010, 04:15 AM

Anyone who seriously looks up to Miley as a role model needs to evaluate their role models.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 12th 2010, 05:16 AM

It seems like the moment a celebrity does something, people jump on it and point fingers criticizing or perhaps praising. I think people need to take a few steps back and look at the world seeing how lots of what these celebrities do, isn't particularly abnormal or shocking. She tried a drug, had a reaction, nothing amazing about it. The excuse of she's a role model for children is moot to me because she does not have to act a certain way just so a bunch of kids can benefit from it. There's nothing requiring that (unless there are legal papers saying so), so holding her to higher standards for being a role model is silly. For starters, what even are these high standards, specifically, what do they have to do that is beyond what other legal citizens have to do? I see no difference. I don't see how it matters if she was born into a famous family or did something to get herself famous.

The only thing I think should come out of this and other reports of trivial acts that celebrities do is people should quick sticking their noses so far into people's business and add the word "privacy" to their vocabulary. More time should be spent dealing with your own life than trivial acts of others. The media could benefit with this but the only reason they love to report what celebrities do is because they know many people are for some reason, interested. I suggest those who are so busy looking into the lives of celebrities and not in their own, think of how it would be like to have their face plastered everywhere, commented and criticized about even the silliest, most insignificant things. Having even new hairstyles critized and photographed, being followed and having not much of a life to oneself because of the long noses of so many others.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 12th 2010, 01:46 PM

By the way I'm SURE if Miley wasn't a celebrity and come on TH and said she takes legal drugs now and then people would not jump on her like this :|

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 12th 2010, 05:56 PM

I read online they're thinking of banning that drug in California due to this video. They're worried just in case minors may start taking Salvia. If they want to ban salvia due to this then they should ban alcohol also ¬____¬

(#17 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 12th 2010, 06:18 PM

The only thing I get from this is how sad it is that teens nowadays do this. I couldn't care less whether or not she was a celebrity, but I think it does speak to the standards of many modern day teenagers.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Silver View Post
The only thing I get from this is how sad it is that teens nowadays do this. I couldn't care less whether or not she was a celebrity, but I think it does speak to the standards of many modern day teenagers.
compared to teenagers from when exactly?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 04:15 AM

To me, I don't find anything special about celebrities. At the end of the day, it's the doctors who save their lives and it's the firefighters who prevent their house from burning down. But they are celebrities and they have no privacy. It's part of being a celebrity. I'd rather people invade my privacy and get millions of dollars than not.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 08:19 AM

Not surprising but I don;t really care. I'm all for let people do what they want as long as it's not affecting me.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Jessica

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 08:41 PM

Oh please, if parents are seriously worried that their children are going to go out and smoke a bunch of salvia(which is legal, btw) just because miley cyrus is then they need to stop relying on an 18 year old girl to raise their children.

Hannah Montana is a character. Nothing more, nothing less. People need to stop holding celebrities to inhuman standards and making a huge stink about an 18 year doing what is pretty much expected of an 18 year old when there are far more interesting things to get pissed off about.

Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 09:08 PM

I just think she's an idiot in general...

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
I just think she's an idiot in general...

How is she an "idiot in general"?

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post
How is she an "idiot in general"?
Because in generally find her to be an idiot?...

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post

Because in generally find her to be an idiot?...
how though? how is she different from other celebs?

Honestly, though, with this topic, she is just any other person really. Well, any other teen. She is faced with lots of stress for being famous and the whole divorce with her parents.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post
how though? how is she different from other celebs?

Honestly, though, with this topic, she is just any other person really. Well, any other teen. She is faced with lots of stress for being famous and the whole divorce with her parents.
Sorry, let me rephrase my point.

As a person I generally find Miley Cyrus to be an idiot, her status as a celebrity has nothing to do with this, I don't discriminate.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Once again another celebrity doing something stupid... - December 13th 2010, 09:30 PM

She's 18, and a human being. She's going to do stupid shit. Salvia is legal anyway, so who cares?

Closed Thread