TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Total War - February 24th 2009, 03:49 AM

I've noticed a lot of talk around this area lately about war. More specifically, 'total war'. This seriously irks me. Before I continue, let's define 'total war':

Quote:
Total war is a conflict of unlimited scope in which a belligerent engages in a total mobilization of all available resources at their disposal, whether human, industrial, agricultural, military, natural, technological, or otherwise; in order to entirely destroy their enemy

I'm sure you've all heard this expression thrown around, I mean, it's been thrown around throughout human history. Every now and then someone likes to claim that country x is in total war with country y, or some variation of such. That is total crap on two basic levels.

First of all, no country or group is ever 100% committed to war; it's just not physically possible. You can have a high percentage, so many people working so hard for so long, but all of the people, all of the time? What about the malingerers, or the conscientious objectors? What about the sick, the injured, the elderly, the very young? What about when you're sleeping, eating, taking a shower, or taking a 'dump'? Is that a 'dump' for victory?

The second reason is that all nations have their limits. There might be individuals within that group who are willing to be martyrs; it might even be a relatively high number for the population, but that population as a whole will eventually reach its maximum emotional and psychological breaking point.

The Japanese reached theirs with a couple of American atomic bombs, the Vietnamese might have reached theirs had we dropped a couple more, but, thankfully, our will broke before it came to that.

That is the nature of human warfare, two sides attempting to push the other past its limit of endurance, and no matter how much we like to use the term 'total war', that limits is and always will be there.

Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Total War - February 24th 2009, 04:01 AM

Hey, I see your problem, but I think you're being a bit nit-picky. Also, where is your definition from? This is what I got from the Oxford English dictionary:

Quote:
Total war, a war to which all resources and the whole population are committed; loosely, a war conducted without any scruples or limitations;
That's pretty much what I used as my definition in the conscription thread, isn't it? I think total war is understood by all to mean war in which the civilian population is also actively engaged in the war: Victory gardens, Victory bonds, food rations, etc. Sometimes, the pourcentage of conscientious objectors is statistically insignificant (Canada during both World Wars, for example). Also, tons of very old people buy victory stamps or take their grandchildren (who can be very young) to tend victory gardens. That's what happens in total war. And if they're too old to be of any use in the war, they don't count as a "ressource," do they?

I don't think the US or Canada has been involved in total war since WWII, and in a country as big as the USA, it's unlikely that any war in the future will ever have a statistically insignificat number of conscientious objectors. Such is the case when your country has as many immigrants from as many parts of the world as the US does.
But you can bet your last dollar that any communist country that goes to war with a Western power will be in total war. That's the great advantage of communism in times of war: it's really efficient in terms of allocating ressources.

One last note: you can hardly call poo a "ressource," (I mean, feel free to make the "fertilizer" case, but it's a stretch) so I don't think you have to conserve it for the war effort. xD Alas, the "victory dump" is not yet a reality.

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Total War - February 24th 2009, 07:17 PM

I must say I agree with Evee. You're really arguing semantics here.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Total War - February 24th 2009, 07:20 PM

The only country who would use war against any western country would be china even though they don't need to.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
Closed Thread