TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 18th 2010, 09:10 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/...pt=T1&iref=BN1

About time they did something right...

thats just a start hopefully now the patriot act will be next.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 18th 2010, 09:40 PM

Good.

(characterlimit)

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 18th 2010, 10:24 PM

About time.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 18th 2010, 11:01 PM

I am so happy about this. Now just Obama needs to sign it next week. Though, nothing will happen right away, but still that is great! One step closer for LGBT to feel free in the US. Hopefully in the coming years, they do something about marriage rights and gays adopting kids.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 18th 2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post
I am so happy about this. Now just Obama needs to sign it next week. Though, nothing will happen right away, but still that is great! One step closer for LGBT to feel free in the US. Hopefully in the coming years, they do something about marriage rights and gays adopting kids.
Come to Massachusetts I am go to college in Boston and there is literally no stigma towards gays.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#6 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 12:28 AM

Oh Happy Day!!! Great step forward.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 12:30 AM

Yeah this is a good thing. It will allow more people to serve which these days is important. I am still a little worried about purposeful friendly fire, but then again we will see.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
purposeful friendly fire
You serious?

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
You serious?
well some people still hate gays and would shoot them not saying it would occur like everyday.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 01:21 AM

Great. Waiting now to adapt to "won't ask, don't care."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 01:21 AM

great news. there is no reason why sexuality should prevent you from serving in the military and i'm glad they've finally realised that.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 01:24 AM

although I do have to say that times are changing and that friendly fire us not as likely as it once was.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 02:58 AM

Good. Although I can see this becoming negative, it's still a really good step forward.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 03:05 AM

I am SO happy that they are doing this. In my opinion, if a person wants to serve it shouldn't matter if they are in the LGBT community or not, just that they are dedicated and want to help our country. I'm very glad that gays can soon serve without fear of being kicked out.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 03:20 AM

The sad thing is that there were (and still are) people who believed this law needed to be instated in the first place. Discrimination on a private, harmless matter in the military proves to the rest of the civilized world that we're lagging a bit on our "equality" promise, so this helps a lot.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 03:48 AM

Excuse my language but...FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 19th 2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
well some people still hate gays and would shoot them not saying it would occur like everyday.
I can't think of one news-related incident where a US soldier shot at another US soldier because he/she was gay. That is flat out treason.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 20th 2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
I can't think of one news-related incident where a US soldier shot at another US soldier because he/she was gay. That is flat out treason.
just because it is treason does not mean anything. I could also shoot and them not have to know that I did so because of his/her sexuality.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 20th 2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
although I do have to say that times are changing and that friendly fire us not as likely as it once was.
Do you have a source you can link us to for your statement?

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 20th 2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post
Do you have a source you can link us to for your statement?
Nope. She's just saying "WELL IT COULD HAPPEN..."

(#21 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 20th 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
just because it is treason does not mean anything. I could also shoot and them not have to know that I did so because of his/her sexuality.
As treason is punishable by the death penalty under title 18 section 2381 of the United States Code, I'd say it means quite a bit really. Not telling them it was because of sexuality is also not going to prevent them finding out if that is the case - the JAG can be quite efficient at working it out for themselves. Anyone seriously entertaining thoughts of killing or shooting at their fellow soldiers, whatever the motivation, is going to find themselves in front of a court martial quite quickly.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 20th 2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
As treason is punishable by the death penalty under title 18 section 2381 of the United States Code, I'd say it means quite a bit really. Not telling them it was because of sexuality is also not going to prevent them finding out if that is the case - the JAG can be quite efficient at working it out for themselves. Anyone seriously entertaining thoughts of killing or shooting at their fellow soldiers, whatever the motivation, is going to find themselves in front of a court martial quite quickly.
Some will still do it I mean most people have common sense to know that murder, rape ect will get them in front of judge likely. Yet over two million people are behind bars (for various reasons) in this country.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 20th 2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Some will still do it I mean most people have common sense to know that murder, rape ect will get them in front of judge likely. Yet over two million people are behind bars (for various reasons) in this country.
True, but the number of those convicted for treason in the United States are exceptionally low and the number of those in prison for killing fellow soldiers is not particularly high either. I take your point that it could theoretically happen, and there have probably been instances of it in the past, but the likelihood of being caught and punished for it is such that it is unlikely to occur with any real frequency.

Quote:
RIP Nick

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 23rd 2010, 08:22 AM

I have nothing against gays serving in the military, but I have issues with them serving openly. You could not join the military and openly be a Nazi, Fascist, Racist, or some other non-mainstream group, sure, they are excellent soldiers, but they need to be quiet about their beliefs during service, just like gays should.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#25 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - December 23rd 2010, 04:27 PM

Well I got some new insight on this the other night when a friend of mine in the military read a Facebook wall conversation between her and some of the girls she went to boot camp with. These girls were saying idiotic things like, "even though we assume gays are there it's another thing knowing who just might be checking you out in the shower". Or "Straight people don't go around talking about how they are straight". To the first idiotic statement, it's incredibly vain to think that just because someone is gay they will automatically be checking you out. To the second one, well my friend had the best response to it she wrote, I've heard more girls going around talking about how they need penis then I ever wanted to.

Oh yeah and I love how people assume that now that gay people can tell everyone they are gay that automatically means they are going to be shouting it from the rooftops. You know just because they can now share that information with the military doesn't mean they will want to share it with their fellow troupes.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Mellifluous Offline
Moo with me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna, call me Rue

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - January 2nd 2011, 04:43 AM

*dances around merrily* WOOT WOOT! *happiness* People don't have hide and lie anymore to be in the military!

You can find me here: http://mcrdoesmylaundry.tumblr.com/
Follow me, I'm pretty awesome

Gimme sympathy,
after all of this is gone.
Who would you rather be?
Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
Oh,seriously,
You're gonna make mistakes.
You're young.
Come on, baby.
Play me somethin'
like 'Here Comes the Sun'

(#27 (permalink)) Old
To_Destination Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tiffany

Re: Senate votes to repeal ban on gays openly serving in military - January 2nd 2011, 08:58 AM

Its about time. It shouldn't matter your sexuality; it should be enough that you want to serve for your country. The Netherlands military is gay friendly and they seem to be fine but then again they have gay marriage and we dont.

"If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy ever closet door," - Harvey Milk
  Send a message via MSN to To_Destination  
Closed Thread