TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Smitten's Avatar
 
Name: Smitten
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 678
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Question The Act Of Smoking - December 18th 2010, 11:21 PM

There is a thread about smoking whilst pregnant, and many people have expressed strong views on the subject - I am interested in hearing those views on smoking in general.

How do you feel about smoking/smokers.

I personally have VERY strong views... I argue with people in my graduate courses on a daily basis about it... many just don't care or don't agree with me, so it will be interesting to see how many younger people - having grown up with the information about smoking's negative effects - feel on this subject.

My view has been solidified from several undergraduate and graduate research papers and presentations on this subject that I have compiled in the past few years-
So here's my opinion, and you are welcome to try and change it - but be warned, trying to change my view on this is like trying to change the orbit of the moon with your mind...


So, I feel that smoking is just completely evil - with horns and everything!
I find myself being prejudice towards smokers - I can smell it on them, and I treat them as Lesser people. I used to be oblivious to this, but it has recently been brought to my attention - not that I hate them, just that I don't want to deal with them at all. I would be very happy if I never spoke to another smoker again, if they just vanished - poof. The cigarette is what they embody, and I HATE the cigarette, therefor I don't want anything to do with those that use them.

Smoking isn't just about being an inconvenience to your fellow man, it is not just about "getting your fix" like some other drugs - but rather it is airesolized poison that those who smoke FORCE everyone who happens to be in close proximity to them or down wind from them to inhale. It is not as if I could avoid smokers,
though I may try, they are around every public building entrance, every parking lot, sidewalk, and park. If I have to get into a building, and even one person is smoking near that entrance - I am FORCED into having that poison inhaled into my lungs, stuck onto my clothing, in my hair, on my skin.
It's filthy.
Aside from that, my life is being adversely affected by your disgusting habit. I am losing lung capacity, my liver and kidneys have to work harder, my stress levels increase, you increase my risk of cancers, and trigger potential allergic reactions.
However trivial the amount of damage may be, it is still forced onto me by someone who simply must no give a shit.
So, I ask: Why should I give a shit about them? should I feel bad for not giving a damn if I am rude or inconsiderate to them?

Aside from direct and obvious adverse effects - here are some that you may not realize:
Cigarette butts NEVER decompose; they just break down into finite particles the size of a fine sand and gum up waterways, find their way into the stomachs and flesh of fish which we consume.
The chemicals from the filters of cigarettes that people so easily discard of on the ground wherever they may be are for the most part water - soluble.
What does that mean?
When it rains, the chemicals from those cigarette butts filter into our ground water, rivers, lakes, and even pools. Next time you turn on a sprinkler for your children to play in the yard, try and remember that the water coming out of that sprinkler head is the same ground water that every cigarette butt thrown out a window while driving or haphazardly thrown onto the grass near the sidewalk filters down into. Your kids, are literally getting shot in the face with water laced with poisonous and cancer inducing elements that are present due to cigarettes.
DDT, the pesticide, was banned for cancer inducing properties in the US and consequentially the world thereafter - yet - DDT is present in Cigarettes. hmm, so a substance that was banned for it's harmful effects is still being pumped into the environment because of smoking? WOW.
While we are on the sprinkler subject, why doesn't everyone who smokes go out and buy a huge canister of RAID and start spraying random kids on the street in the face with it?
I bet that would get a great reception with law enforcement, yet this is essentially what is happening.

Let's keep on the subject of environmental effects though - the cigarette butts that get swept down storm drains by the rain don't just disappear, they eventually let out into a body of water. Storm drains, unlike sewers which are connected to indoor plumbing, do not go to a treatment plant - rather they simply flow down tunnels until dumping into the ocean or a river, which eventually leads to the ocean.
What effects can you possibly think this has besides poisoning and toxifying the planet as a whole?

If smokers think their children have a future, they better look in the mirror and realize that every cigarette they smoke is one less chance that their kids will have a healthy planet to grow up on. For those who don't want children - I hope you look in the mirror and realize how terrible of a human being you are being in terms of the treatment of your fellow man.

How would you like it if someone FORCED you to ingest a tablespoon of rat poison that was killing you slowly every day and degrading your quality of life over a long period of time - but was not enough to kill you, just keep you sick and miserable?

~REALITY CHECK~

There's much more I could say but,
I'm not playing a numbers game with this post, if statistics and citations are wanted - I will provide them, but the broad overview is here.



In Summation - my opinion:
Smoking is defined as: a complete lack of respect or concern for your fellow man, or being in a state complete ignorance and/or incompetence.



Opinions?





You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.


   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 542082 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,261
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 18th 2010, 11:25 PM

I think that as long as you are harming only yourself with your smoking then it's your body, your choice. Please describe to me a situation where you are forced to inhale another persons smoke? On a person level, I dislike the sign and the smell of smoking however I do think its reasonably arrogant to tell other people how to live their lives or try to change their habits; most smokers are perfectly aware of the danger.


(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Smitten's Avatar
 
Name: Smitten
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 678
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 18th 2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
I think that as long as you are harming only yourself with your smoking then it's your body, your choice. Please describe to me a situation where you are forced to inhale another persons smoke? On a person level, I dislike the sign and the smell of smoking however I do think its reasonably arrogant to tell other people how to live their lives or try to change their habits; most smokers are perfectly aware of the danger.
A fairly common response, I rebuttal with the question: When am I not forced to breath a smoker's smoke?

If I need to get to class and someone is smoking by the door, I have to breath, no? To get to class I must enter the building. So, on my way to enter the building, since I require oxygen, I must breath - therefor breathing their smoke.

Driving in the car, someone smoking ahead of me - if it is a nice summer day, I want the window open - their smoke enters my lungs because of the simple principles of air movement.

Do you suggest that I hold my breath all the time? it still gets on my clothing and onto my skin, in my hair.
the only way a smoker is ONLY hurting themself is if they are locked up in a airtight room and discard of that cigarette properly in a biohazard bin.


You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.


   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The ANTI-Troll's Avatar
 
Name: ..........
Age: 30
Gender: Trans
Location: nowhere

Posts: 705
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 18th 2010, 11:53 PM

okay i know i said id never post in another smoking thread but im done after this

my view is this.if im in a area first i can do what i want if you dont agree with smoking LEAVE i was there first.. i encountered this all to many time at parks and gun ranges ill smoke a cig while im taking a break from running or shooting and someone has the nerve to come over to me and tell me to put it out... if i was them id be more worried about second hand bullets then second hand smoke..

i mean really were in wide open areas i really doubt a lil smoke is gonna do anything in a wide open area outsiide with the wind blowing..

heres afunny story i tell to most people i know who smoke..

about a 2years or so ago i was at a public auction as the auctionneer was about to start he said "if you got em smoke em" he lit up a cig and a few others along with myself lit up... i noticed about a dozen or so people take off and a couple of them were saying "how rude people are" i was personally laughing at that. specially when the auctioneer yelled at them good riddance while most of us laughed.. now anytime i goto a auction i make sure to bring a couple cigars to smoke to weed out the anti smokers.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Dark-and-Twisty's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Iowa, USA

Posts: 734
Join Date: November 4th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 18th 2010, 11:55 PM

I agree 100% with you, Smitten. In my state, smoking in public places is illegal, and you're supposed to be X amount of feet away from the building before smoking. Unfortunately, some people think they can get away with that law--like my inconsiderate step-father.

I remember the days when the NON-SMOKERS had to walk through the SMOKING section to get to the non-smoking section. It was ridiculous and completely unfair. I'm so grateful that smoking inside restaurants is now illegal.

Personally, I am allergic to smoke to some extent. Whenever I am around someone who's smoking directly in front of me, my throat will clot up and will become very sore. I have bad allergies to begin with, and smoking does not help it.

It's a proven fact that children of smokers tend to have asthma and other lung problems more regularly than children of non-smokers. Is it fair to the children? Not at all.

EDIT:

OH MY GOSH, why should NON-SMOKERS have to leave? We have the right to clean air! There have been times I have been forced to "go outside in the cold" because I couldn't breathe because of the selfish smokers. But really, it should be the other way around. -_-


"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 18th 2010, 11:59 PM

I think people should grow up and let people smoke if they want to. Businesses back then had switched to non-smoking before the ban. If a business wants to cater to smokers, don't go there and go somewhere else.

Also, I love how people stereotype smokers into people who smell like smoke. Usually it is only after they have smoked and it goes away pretty quickly. I wouldn't have known some of my coworkers were smokers if I hadn't seen them at the smoking circle. My boyfriend does not smell like smoke and no, I am not just used to him.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The ANTI-Troll's Avatar
 
Name: ..........
Age: 30
Gender: Trans
Location: nowhere

Posts: 705
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post


EDIT:

OH MY GOSH, why should NON-SMOKERS have to leave? We have the right to clean air! There have been times I have been forced to "go outside in the cold" because I couldn't breathe because of the selfish smokers. But really, it should be the other way around. -_-
didnt even read what i said if im there first then you can leave if your there first ill go elsewhere..... as for why well in my case im bigger,meaner,crazier then most and telling me what to do sets off my temper which aint wise.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:03 AM

Several of my family members smoke/used to smoke. I do not like the act, but I have nothing agnaist the smokers
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Dark-and-Twisty's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Iowa, USA

Posts: 734
Join Date: November 4th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:04 AM

Just because someone smells like smoke, doesn't mean they smoke. Though, when someone has smoke on them when they walk in a room, I can smell it from across the room. But I know whenever I go over to my aunt's house I come home wreaking of smoke because her roommate smokes. I also come home with a sore throat.

In my state it doesn't matter, smoking is banned from all businesses and public properties. And I'm quite fine with that, and I hope it never changes. With the statistics and the proof in which smoking is harmful to second hand smokers, the government has the perfect right to ban smoking. It's the mature action to take.

Edit: @the Anti-troll, I read it, I don't care.


"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Member
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Kitty.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kitty
Gender: Female

Posts: 6,268
Join Date: January 23rd 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:07 AM

I dislike smoking, but I don't have some huge hate against it.
I know people who smoke and I am around people who have smoked and I can definitely smell it.
I'm not going to out of my way to avoid everything because people smoke.
It doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

Banning smoking would never work simply because so many people smoke.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Smitten's Avatar
 
Name: Smitten
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 678
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
okay i know i said id never post in another smoking thread but im done after this

my view is this.if im in a area first i can do what i want if you dont agree with smoking LEAVE i was there first.. i encountered this all to many time at parks and gun ranges ill smoke a cig while im taking a break from running or shooting and someone has the nerve to come over to me and tell me to put it out... if i was them id be more worried about second hand bullets then second hand smoke..

i mean really were in wide open areas i really doubt a lil smoke is gonna do anything in a wide open area outsiide with the wind blowing..

heres afunny story i tell to most people i know who smoke..

about a 2years or so ago i was at a public auction as the auctionneer was about to start he said "if you got em smoke em" he lit up a cig and a few others along with myself lit up... i noticed about a dozen or so people take off and a couple of them were saying "how rude people are" i was personally laughing at that. specially when the auctioneer yelled at them good riddance while most of us laughed.. now anytime i goto a auction i make sure to bring a couple cigars to smoke to weed out the anti smokers.
You are part of the problem.
How can you possibly believe that your assault on the lungs of others takes precedence over the right to BREATH. ??? idiocy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
I agree 100% with you, Smitten. In my state, smoking in public places is illegal, and you're supposed to be X amount of feet away from the building before smoking. Unfortunately, some people think they can get away with that law--like my inconsiderate step-father.

I remember the days when the NON-SMOKERS had to walk through the SMOKING section to get to the non-smoking section. It was ridiculous and completely unfair. I'm so grateful that smoking inside restaurants is now illegal.

Personally, I am allergic to smoke to some extent. Whenever I am around someone who's smoking directly in front of me, my throat will clot up and will become very sore. I have bad allergies to begin with, and smoking does not help it.

It's a proven fact that children of smokers tend to have asthma and other lung problems more regularly than children of non-smokers. Is it fair to the children? Not at all.

EDIT:

OH MY GOSH, why should NON-SMOKERS have to leave? We have the right to clean air! There have been times I have been forced to "go outside in the cold" because I couldn't breathe because of the selfish smokers. But really, it should be the other way around. -_-
Right on board with you, non-smokers have the right to clean air.
Polluting the air and harming others is not a right, it is an injustice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Also, I love how people stereotype smokers into people who smell like smoke.
Obviously you do not have an acute sense of smell, that's fine. Also - if you live with or spend alot of time among a smoker - yes, you do become used to it. stating the contrary is futile as it is not supported by evidence, which I am sure I can drudge up somewhere if you would like.


You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.


   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
I dislike smoking, but I don't have some huge hate against it.
I know people who smoke and I am around people who have smoked and I can definitely smell it.
I'm not going to out of my way to avoid everything because people smoke.
It doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

Banning smoking would never work simply because so many people smoke.
plus how would they enforce it like stand outside every public place?
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Member
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Kitty.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kitty
Gender: Female

Posts: 6,268
Join Date: January 23rd 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
plus how would they enforce it like stand outside every public place?
Exactly. People are going to smoke whether we like it or not.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Dark-and-Twisty's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Iowa, USA

Posts: 734
Join Date: November 4th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:14 AM

Maybe people are missing what I'm saying...it is already enforced in my state, and it seems to be working. On my college campus, smokers have to go across the street; at bars, restaurants, stores, and other public places people are forced to go outside--though every now and then I can smell smoke in the bathroom during the winter time. I take it smokers "hide" in the bathroom when it's too cold out.

But nonetheless, it makes eating out so much more enjoyable.


"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The ANTI-Troll's Avatar
 
Name: ..........
Age: 30
Gender: Trans
Location: nowhere

Posts: 705
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post


You are part of the problem.
How can you possibly believe that your assault on the lungs of others takes precedence over the right to BREATH. ??? idiocy.
so...

takes precedence cause no one has the balls to make me stop they back off when i tell them to make me.. maybe if this younger generation had some nuts and not run away from any situation that might become...confrontaional. instead of running to the voters,govenors, president everytime that want something done..
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Smitten's Avatar
 
Name: Smitten
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 678
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:16 AM

@ Anti-troll: I'm not going to full on physically assault you over it - if I get arrested that will just lessen my credibility. :P
I would just do what I did at my UNI- which is photograph people who are blatantly smoking while SITTING on NO-SMOKING signs, and the aftermath (Cigarette Butts) littered everywhere. After 2 terms of submitting these photos of violators (and their being fined $500 for each offense) - smoking is Banned campus wide as of January. YOUR WELCOME.


On a side note, I am going to be moving to a University in a city that has completely outlawed smoking, alcohol, and Drug use.
So I won't have to deal with this for much longer, and afterwards I will simply move to a place where smoking has been illegalized... if the law is broken, there's always .45FMJ

It always amazes me how people can defend smoking as if it CAN be defended- face it, the only reason it is even legal is because so many people smoke and many policy makers smoke. If those in power were not users, it most certainly would be banned - as we are seeing in more and more places who have non-smoking leadership.


You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.


   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
Maybe people are missing what I'm saying...it is already enforced in my state, and it seems to be working. On my college campus, smokers have to go across the street; at bars, restaurants, stores, and other public places people are forced to go outside--though every now and then I can smell smoke in the bathroom during the winter time. I take it smokers "hide" in the bathroom when it's too cold out.

But nonetheless, it makes eating out so much more enjoyable.
My school is a Christian school so we are not able to smoke on campus and are not supposed to smoke at all.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Dark-and-Twisty's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Iowa, USA

Posts: 734
Join Date: November 4th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:20 AM

Well, yeah, it was against the rules in my high school (public). If a high school student got caught smoking, they could get expelled. But in college it's a little difference, since everyone's over 18. You can't really stop an eighteen year old from "smoking" period, though they can't smoke on the grounds. Smoking in public is illegal in public areas in my state, which I'm re-iterating. I think it should be illegal in public areas everywhere.


"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
Well, yeah, it was against the rules in my high school (public). If a high school student got caught smoking, they could get expelled. But in college it's a little difference, since everyone's over 18. You can't really stop an eighteen year old from "smoking" period, though they can't smoke on the grounds. Smoking in public is illegal in public areas in my state, which I'm re-iterating. I think it should be illegal in public areas everywhere.
Well at my college like I said we can not smoke, but it is private so I am not sure if banning it in public areas would work as it is private property be like saying dad could not smoke in his own yard.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post

Obviously you do not have an acute sense of smell, that's fine. Also - if you live with or spend alot of time among a smoker - yes, you do become used to it. stating the contrary is futile as it is not supported by evidence, which I am sure I can drudge up somewhere if you would like.
So a few questions. How do you know whether or not I have an acute sense of smell? Do you know me personally? Have you ever met me? For your information, I spend less than 15% of a week with smokers. I may be dating one or work with smokers occasionally, but it is not the majority of my time.

It is not me getting used to it and yes, I know the psychology reasoning behind getting used to stimuli that you are constantly bombarded with (hence why people do not constantly feel their clothes touching them). However, the smell goes away in about five to ten minutes whereas it takes me on average thirty to forty minutes to get used to perfume of a person sitting within in five feet of me regardless of whether or not I like it due to me actually being very sensitive to smells.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:23 AM

I think people should be able to do whatever the like to their own bodies. However I think that ends when you are putting others at risk too. What I mean by that is that if you are in a public place with people already around you, if you want o smoke you should be considerate enough to leave the group of people, especially if asked. Now if you are standing by yourself and already smoking, then it's a persons own business to keep their distance from you. I hate smoking, and would personally never be around someone who is, however people can do to themselves as they please. I mean I'm an actor and actors and techies tend to smoke A LOT and they tend to do so right outside the stage door. So you hold your breath for the two seconds it takes to get inside, I mean if that's what they need to get through the long hours that's their business, I can avoid it.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Smitten's Avatar
 
Name: Smitten
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 678
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
So a few questions. How do you know whether or not I have an acute sense of smell? Do you know me personally? Have you ever met me? For your information, I spend less than 15% of a week with smokers. I may be dating one or work with smokers occasionally, but it is not the majority of my time.

It is not me getting used to it and yes, I know the psychology reasoning behind getting used to stimuli that you are constantly bombarded with (hence why people do not constantly feel their clothes touching them). However, the smell goes away in about five to ten minutes whereas it takes me on average thirty to forty minutes to get used to perfume of a person sitting within in five feet of me regardless of whether or not I like it due to me actually being very sensitive to smells.
I don't know you personally, no - but I do need to ask: how can you be sure that you are not accustomed to the smell of smoke?

If you are in the presence of a stimuli for X amount of time daily, your body WILL adjust to that stimuli - in the case of the sense of smell, that means adjusting to it that makes each subsequent encounter with that stimuli elicit less arousal (Food is typically an exception to this) Secondly, you have stated that you are dating a smoker - this in itself would significantly lessen your conscious awareness of smoke, as your lover - someone you have significant emotional attachment to - emits this stimuli, which subconsciously is most likely associated with your partner. So, after initial stimuli recognition - it will subside quickly because it is a "Friendly" stimuli and one you have adjusted to.

Thats what makes sense with anyone who dates a smoker - perfume however, is often a distinct aroma each subsequent encounter, therefor keeps you aroused much longer.


You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.


   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post


I don't know you personally, no - but I do need to ask: how can you be sure that you are not accustomed to the smell of smoke?

If you are in the presence of a stimuli for X amount of time daily, your body WILL adjust to that stimuli - in the case of the sense of smell, that means adjusting to it that makes each subsequent encounter with that stimuli elicit less arousal (Food is typically an exception to this) Secondly, you have stated that you are dating a smoker - this in itself would significantly lessen your conscious awareness of smoke, as your lover - someone you have significant emotional attachment to - emits this stimuli, which subconsciously is most likely associated with your partner. So, after initial stimuli recognition - it will subside quickly because it is a "Friendly" stimuli and one you have adjusted to.

Thats what makes sense with anyone who dates a smoker - perfume however, is often a distinct aroma each subsequent encounter, therefor keeps you aroused much longer.
I am not in the presence of smoke daily. I called them my coworkers by accident, but they are students (we meet once a week) and some paramedics for when I go on runs. As for my boyfriend, I see him every few days and even then, people do not know he smokes. His own mother did not know that he had been smoking for about six months again and it took me about a month to figure out he smoked because I smelled it on him for a few moments before we went inside the movie theater. My family have met him several times and once again, they did not know that he smoked. My mom was surprised and she rode in the car with us for several hours.

One thing everyone needs to consider is personal bias against smoking. You know they are smokers. You saw them smoking. Could you be imagining that they smell like smoke all the time because you have a personal bias against them? The media says that smokers are nasty and they smell all the time. People are so easily influenced and not everyone is aware that they are convincing themselves that they are experiencing stimuli that is not there. Oh, and people are more aware that smokers are supposed to smell so it is easier for them to recall the situations that prove their scheme that smokers smell than the exceptions (if they are aware that those people smoke).

Some people do smell like smoke all the time, I will give you that. However, not all smokers smell like smoke 24/7. It depends on where they smoke, how often they smoke, and how many they are smoking.

But once again, you are making assumptions based off of little information. Just lumping it to "you must be exposed to smoke constantly" does not work. I do not see my boyfriend that often due to my heavy school and work demands plus his own school and work demands. It is on average once a week I see him.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Dark-and-Twisty's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Iowa, USA

Posts: 734
Join Date: November 4th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:51 AM

Whether or not you can tell a smoker smokes depends on the brand of cigarette they smoke. Some smell worse than others. Whatever my step-father smokes reeks the most.


"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:52 AM

i really hate smoking. it used to anger me so much when i saw people smoking but now i do realise that it's their body - their choice. still don't put up with people blowing smoke in my face or breathing their smoke breath on me. but yeah i just i tell them (politely) not to and get on with my life.

i'm very happy about the smoking ban. i doubt i'd go to pubs/bars/clubs if we didn't have it.. just can't stand when a room is smoke-filled to the point where i struggle to breathe properly.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Smitten's Avatar
 
Name: Smitten
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 678
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 12:56 AM

@ Misplaced dreamer:
I will concede on the subject of "Not ALL smokers smell like smoke" as some cover it up well, but I can usually taste it in the air even when I can't smell it - if that makes any sense to you.
As for what you said about Bias - yes, you are correct. That I cannot argue.


You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.


   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough
*********
 
Briana's Avatar
 
Name: Bri
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Neverland, Ohio

Posts: 2,851
Blog Entries: 232
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 02:45 AM

It depends really for me. I don't like the smell at all. I hate having to hold my breath when I walk past, if I don't, I get a coughing attack from breathing it in. I like having the ban here. That means I can be comfortable when I go out to eat and what not.

I have nothing against smokers....just smoking is ick. Why would you want to slowly kill yourself with it? I have seen many people die from cigs and others with medical problems.

Also, some people are allergic to cigarettes, so when you are outside smoking and blow it in someones direction, it could be very dangerous to their health (even though 2nd hand smoking is bad enough).

I especially don't like people smoking in a car with kids in the backseat, that is messed up.


"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Spoons's Avatar
 
Name: Dez
Age: 23
Gender: They/them.
Location: Connecticut, USA

Posts: 19,526
Blog Entries: 139
Join Date: November 16th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 03:03 AM

I despise smoking. My parents smoked for most of my 14 years of life. My father got cancer a few years back and then they apparently "stopped" but I still smell strong cigarettes on them and the rooms that they are in, and I have been mad at my parents lately, so sometimes I think that I hope they die and sometimes regret the thought, not wanting to watch them suffer from cancer because of the smoking.
My brother in law smokes as well, and a lot of my aunts do (Except for one who also got cancer, and maybe another one), and some of my cousins, so whenever I'm around them I feel incredibly disgusted. The secondhand smoke gives me headaches and makes me nauseous, and sometimes will bring out my asthma if I smell enough of it.
I also despise the environmental effects, the fact that they are polluting the air and the animals, and I know that they will have contributed to the pollution.
We watched a video with pictures of the lungs of a smoker, and I couldn't help but be disgusted. How can they be doing something like that to their bodies, as well as the bodies of everyone else who happens to be stuck inhaling their fumes if they can't go away?
It's horrid to see small children watching the people who influence them smoking, too, though. I know that not everyone who watches someone they love do something will do it too, but what about the ones who do follow the examples of their parents? It wouldn't be a good example at all.
Well, to sum it all up, I really hate smoking.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Gaia's Avatar
 
Name: Lou
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: ekam eveileb

Posts: 3,804
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 04:07 PM

I'm a weird one, I like the smell of smoke. My grandad smoked, my grandpa smoked pipes, and my dad smokes. It's familiar to me.
I don't think it's right to smoke near people who hate it, but I would never look down on someone who smoked. What's the point in judging? One bad thing doesn't make a person bad, if that were true everyone in the world would be bad.
Life's too short to judge people, or be bothered by their actions when they don't directly affect you [i.e. all smokers, not just the ones who smoke near you]. I'm sure everyone has a quality that other people will dislike, it's natural, but that doesn't mean we should look down on everyone that does something we don't like. That's just twisted.


"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post
It depends really for me. I don't like the smell at all. I hate having to hold my breath when I walk past, if I don't, I get a coughing attack from breathing it in. I like having the ban here. That means I can be comfortable when I go out to eat and what not.

I have nothing against smokers....just smoking is ick. Why would you want to slowly kill yourself with it? I have seen many people die from cigs and others with medical problems.

Also, some people are allergic to cigarettes, so when you are outside smoking and blow it in someones direction, it could be very dangerous to their health (even though 2nd hand smoking is bad enough).

I especially don't like people smoking in a car with kids in the backseat, that is messed up.
My father used to smoke with us in the car, as messed up as it is keep in mind they are addicted so it hard to make it home at times.
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough
*********
 
Briana's Avatar
 
Name: Bri
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Neverland, Ohio

Posts: 2,851
Blog Entries: 232
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
My father used to smoke with us in the car, as messed up as it is keep in mind they are addicted so it hard to make it home at times.
He could have been more aware of his children and tried to stop?


"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post
He could have been more aware of his children and tried to stop?
As far as I know he HAS since quit.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Make Believe's Avatar
 
Name: Kayleigh
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Wales, U.K.

Posts: 6,185
Blog Entries: 190
Join Date: August 31st 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 09:40 PM

In UK it's illegal to smoke in public places, which I agree with. Yes, it pissed me off sometimes when I used to smoke and had to stand in the rain but I understood why.

I've only become more aware of 2nd-hand smoke recently myself as I'm more sensitive towards the smell now. As long as people are smoking outside and are in a wide-open space it doesn't bother me.

At the end of the day it's their lives, I can't tell them what to do. I suppose what DOES annoy me about other people smoking is it's wasting tax payers money on the N.H.S. :/


"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
In UK it's illegal to smoke in public places, which I agree with. Yes, it pissed me off sometimes when I used to smoke and had to stand in the rain but I understood why.

I've only become more aware of 2nd-hand smoke recently myself as I'm more sensitive towards the smell now. As long as people are smoking outside and are in a wide-open space it doesn't bother me.

At the end of the day it's their lives, I can't tell them what to do. I suppose what DOES annoy me about other people smoking is it's wasting tax payers money on the N.H.S. :/
yes but do they pay high cigarette tax?
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: Mxico

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 09:47 PM

There was a law passed here just recently where it became illegal to smoke inside bars and any indoor building and I could not be any happier. I hated when I went to a bar and came home with all my clothes smelling like smoke and having to deal with the smell. Now smokers have to step outside or they get fined about $500.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31
Guest
 
DeletedAccount31's Avatar
Edit avatar
 

Posts: n/a

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 10:00 PM

I hate smoking. I think it's gross. If people want to do it, I guess I can't stop them, but I feel like more people should have the decency to not smoke in public places with mass amounts of people and to at least bathe before they go into public. I can't stand the smell of smoke; it angers me. If you want a cigarette, have it on your own time, and don't force me to inhale your secondhand smoke as I walk by. Furthermore, use an ash tray! Don't throw your cigarette butt on the ground!

It's not so much the act of smoking that bothers me as much as it is the disrespect that it shows to others.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
off to a new life's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female

Posts: 288
Join Date: July 12th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 19th 2010, 11:52 PM

I think cigarettes are disgusting and I am glad smokers can't smoke inside public buildings here, but I think the laws about smoking outside are ridiculous. Sure, walking past a smoker outside you might get a gross whiff, but you are NOT going to get ill from it. Also, Smitten, all that stuff you brought up about the environment is ridiculous. Unless you stop driving a car, grow all your own food, stop buying anything made from or packaged in plastic, etc.. I don't think you can really complain about the effect smokers have on the environment.


From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 20th 2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
I think cigarettes are disgusting and I am glad smokers can't smoke inside public buildings here, but I think the laws about smoking outside are ridiculous. Sure, walking past a smoker outside you might get a gross whiff, but you are NOT going to get ill from it. Also, Smitten, all that stuff you brought up about the environment is ridiculous. Unless you stop driving a car, grow all your own food, stop buying anything made from or packaged in plastic, etc.. I don't think you can really complain about the effect smokers have on the environment.
But you see that stuff is becoming less and less of an option, although, I did grow on a farm so grandfather does raise much of his food and used to raise a fair part of the meat. However smoking has no purpose so that can be seen a little differently.
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
off to a new life's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female

Posts: 288
Join Date: July 12th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 20th 2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
But you see that stuff is becoming less and less of an option, although, I did grow on a farm so grandfather does raise much of his food and used to raise a fair part of the meat. However smoking has no purpose so that can be seen a little differently.
Well how about something like taking your own bags to the grocery store? It's an incredibly simple thing to do and it would save a lot of plastic from going into the environment, but hardly anyone is willing to do it. What about buying candy? That is unecessary, is unhealthy for your body, the wrapper is usually made from plastic, and it is usually imported from somewhere requiring the use of polluting fuel.


From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while
********
 
ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 1,928
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: The Act Of Smoking - December 20th 2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
Well how about something like taking your own bags to the grocery store? It's an incredibly simple thing to do and it would save a lot of plastic from going into the environment, but hardly anyone is willing to do it. What about buying candy? That is unecessary, is unhealthy for your body, the wrapper is usually made from plastic, and it is usually imported from somewhere requiring the use of polluting fuel.
You still have cars and do you REALLY think that people will not buy at least some candy? I mean it is fine in moderation.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
act, smoking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.