TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

kids today - December 19th 2010, 01:19 PM

i mentioned my view on kids in the WWlll thread and how a war might make them value the things they have.

I know im only 20 but unlike most kids my age when i wanted something that wasnt a birthday or christmas present,etc. my mom and dad would set up a chart like it it was a cd or a book i would have to mow the lawn for a week..
i see kids run around with there video game devices,phones,toys,etc and intentionally break it and the parent runs out and buy the kid a new one. i also see kids close to my age replacing there car every 3yrs or 60k miles.no matter if nothing is wrong with it. were moving to a waste society everything get replaced as soon as something new comes out.

they believe there ENTITLED to a tv, cable/satalite,internet,computer, videogames ,allowance.
i think kids should have to spend about a week in the 1940-1960's so they can learn how lucky they are and maybe theyll apreciate the stuff they have and not be so wastefull.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 03:56 PM

hmm. I kinda agree. I don't like how they get cellphones at 4yrs of age, these days. When I grew up, I got things if I was nice to others, did my chores, and got good grades. As for the car thing, that is a bit rediculous, I wanted a new car for gas reasons and I didn't feel safe in a Jeep.

Technology changes, we change and generations change. Now a days, we all revolve around TV, computer, cell phones.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 04:20 PM

Hey kiddo.

You're right that a lot of teenagers are like this, but I have a hard time faulting them for it since in many cases that's how the parents live too. I'd say it's less an issue with children and more just our society in general.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 04:20 PM

It is ridiculous, and I see it happening within my own family. In that, when I was a kid I didn't get a cell phone when everyone else did the only reason my parents got one for me at 14, is because I was going out of town for 5 days and they literally wanted me to call/text them every 10 minutes. I didn't get a computer until I was 15 and we homeschooled for a year through an online program. I NEVER had a video game system. I got a laptop at 18 for college, and a car at 21 again for college since I wasn't going to be living off campus. However my brother (at the age of 13) has gone through 3 different video game systems, got a computer years ago, has a phone (though at least it's just a prepaid thing). At least when he wants to randomly get a new game my parents make him trade in another one so they don't have to pay full price.

But here's the thing it's not really the kids. Kids have always been like this, always wanting the new fad, always begging for it. It's the parents' fault. It's the parents giving into their kids. It's the parents buying the phones, and the cars, and the video games. If parents would start parenting again and not letting technology do it we probably wouldn't have this problem.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 06:42 PM

Well this is true but I think it is the parents and society in general.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Smitten

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Hey kiddo.

You're right that a lot of teenagers are like this, but I have a hard time faulting them for it since in many cases that's how the parents live too. I'd say it's less an issue with children and more just our society in general.
Agreed, It's not the kids - It's society.

You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 06:51 PM

I mean the parents are the ones buying the stuff. That and think about it their parents raised them in the 40s-early 70s so which group messed them up? Our parents.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Fhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 07:43 PM

It's the parents faults, not the childs.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
It's the parents faults, not the childs.
its both... i blame kids who refuse to learn about the great depression and how to behave and parents who refuse to teach there kids how to be proper human beings..

example yesterday i was walking into a gift shop in the mall and some 13-16yr old kid was infront of me maybe 5steps he opens the door proceeds to slam it shut in my face...

its little things like that piss me off about kids these days i ALWAYS hold doors open for people its a common courtesy that is long gone anymore.
then theres these kids who talk whatever lingo and i can only understand one or 2 words if someone is gonna talk someone speak ENGLISH not "what up dileo did you see that playa last he was slamming" <wth i here talk like that and i cringe

anyways im going to spend the night with my sister and brother in law probally wont be around after the next hour or so sorry if i dont respond. but ill get to it in the morning

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
its both... i blame kids who refuse to learn about the great depression and how to behave and parents who refuse to teach there kids how to be proper human beings..

example yesterday i was walking into a gift shop in the mall and some 13-16yr old kid was infront of me maybe 5steps he opens the door proceeds to slam it shut in my face...

its little things like that piss me off about kids these days i ALWAYS hold doors open for people its a common courtesy that is long gone anymore.
then theres these kids who talk whatever lingo and i can only understand one or 2 words if someone is gonna talk someone speak ENGLISH not "what up dileo did you see that playa last he was slamming" <wth i here talk like that and i cringe

anyways im going to spend the night with my sister and brother in law probally wont be around after the next hour or so sorry if i dont respond. but ill get to it in the morning
So you want the kids to just randomly say what was life like back then?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:

It's the parents faults for letting their children think they can have everything they want. A child isn't going to know what 'the right thing to do' is, unless their parents teach them.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
So you want the kids to just randomly say what was life like back then?
i want kids to be interested in the past..... i could walk up to some kids i know and ask what the north and south were fighting about and none would give me the correct answer....

some kids think everyone is always happy and that every child gets what they ask for no thoughts for kids in other places...

(#13 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:

It's the parents faults for letting their children think they can have everything they want. A child isn't going to know what 'the right thing to do' is, unless their parents teach them.
with that logic if i go out and kill someone i should be able to get off cause my parents never told me it was wrong..

(#14 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:22 PM

The kids you're describing are not the kids I know. I think you're making a huge generalization.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
with that logic if i go out and kill someone i should be able to get off cause my parents never told me it was wrong..
No, you're exaggerating, besides, I didn't say they could get away with it, only that that's what they think is the right thing to do, which a lot of murderers do anyway.

But what I meant is a kid will be ungrateful and bratty unless the parents teach them otherwise.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'TeppyLala View Post
The kids you're describing are not the kids I know. I think you're making a huge generalization.
I think so too; although I did read somewhere that one in five American teens do not know we declared our freedom from England

(#17 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'TeppyLala View Post
in describing the typical youth in usa suburbs

(#18 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:

No, you're exaggerating, besides, I didn't say they could get away with it, only that that's what they think is the right thing to do, which a lot of murderers do anyway.

But what I meant is a kid will be ungrateful and bratty unless the parents teach them otherwise.
save response for this till tommorow morning or afternoon... im heading out right this minute

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Funny that you talk about kids this days not having common courtesy when you stated on the other thread you would blow the smoke of your cigarette to other peoples face.
Anyways I do think its the parents fault. Kids arent going to say no when the parents buy them things, if a parent buys their kids a X-Box I doubt the kid will say no so its up to the parents to teach their kids. If everyone has a certain game or phone the kids will want it and since the parents never say no the kids know they will buy them whatever they ask for.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

7 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 09:08 PM

I blame the parents mostly. If you spoil a child they will expect everything because it's all they now. I suppose when they hit 15/16 (maybe older) they should have more personal responsibility and know right from wrong. It does annoy me when people turn out bad and still blame their parents and upbringing when they're about 25 :| You don't have to fit into the expectations from your surroundings. I admit I live in a rough area, but I'm not a common thug/chav because I don't want to be. Sorry if I made this a bit off topic

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 09:23 PM

I blame the parents.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 09:51 PM

It's hard to tell. I think people of all ages are selfish in the society I see. People feel the need to keep up with the Jones and as a kid, I was guilty of it too. Oh, I need this and that because everyone else has it. As an adult, I don't really do that anymore.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 10:13 PM

The only time I really insisted on having something that I did not need was a northface jacket I wanted instead of a cheaper one. This is the only time I remember.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: kids today - December 19th 2010, 10:58 PM

I really hate generalizations. I know sometimes I do it too, but I really try not to. When you look at a child, you don't know what they have or don't have. You don't know what they did to earn it. You don't know that they might have been a hard working student and DESERVED a new laptop because they, like me, spend hours on their homework every night. I don't have time, like my parents did, to get a job, because they didn't have to do all the homework I had to do. As society changes, there will be people who compare the past with the present, which isn't fair. I face more difficult schooling than my parents, who want me to be successful then them, who didn't go to college.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 12:10 AM

This thread is such a massive generalisation (as stated - I'm just backing it up).

To say people don't hold doors open these days except you isn't true. I do it too. So does that mean you and I are the only ones? There's another generalisation.

There are ignorant people, there are disrespectful people, and there are stupid people. But to say that all kids these days are like that is, quite honestly, ignorant.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 12:32 AM

I agree, but I think it's a problem with many adults too. They are the ones who teach kids how to behave afterall.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 01:01 AM

It's the parents who are spineless and are afraid to say, "No" to their children because they do not what the kids to whine, fuss, and complain. Children see advertisements on television, and they see what their friends have, and if they don't have what their friends have they are considered "uncool," and are teased. Parents don't want to see their kids teased, and they don't want to deal with their children's fussing. In today's society, children are brought up to beg, plead, and be selfish.

I was one of those kids who you could say was "spoiled," though I didn't get a cell phone until I was fourteen - when I went to high school, mind you, my sister got a cell phone for her eleventh birthday because she begged and pleaded constantly. But when I was little, and my dad was alive, all I had to say was, "I want it" and I had it. After my dad died, I had already grown to expect to get what I wanted; thus, my mom continued to get me what I wanted. It wasn't only mom; I had an aunt and a grandmother who spoiled me as well.

Our society is so commercialized in today's day and age. Back in the fifties and sixties they didn't have near the technology and options there are today. Heck, they didn't have cell phones, computers, and all of that jazz back then. If they had, surely kids would have wanted them and would have found a way to weasel them out of their parents.

Look at how days like Black Friday have become. It's scary to go out on the day after Thanksgiving now because parents are out fighting for gifts on their children's Christmas lists. Is that what Christmas is about? Giving your child everything on their Christmas list? The meaning of Christmas has completely been diminished because parents completely go all out. I remember when I was a kid, I'd come home with a whole trunk full of presents, and then when my sister came along that only doubled. I would get pretty much everything I asked for, plus a bunch of toys that my parents and other relatives thought was "cute."

Every year my family asks me to make out a Christmas list. I find that it's harder to make out now that I'm older. It's difficult, because my parents have helped me out so much this year sending me off to college. My mom will just randomly hand me stuff and I'll be like, "Gee, you could have wrapped that under the Christmas tree."

It's not the kids' fault, nor is it fully the parents. It's our commercialized society.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 01:33 AM

Your parents are saying the same things about you. And their parents the same thing about them. And them about them. And them about them about them them them them.

It's redundant. This thread is merely perpetuating the trend that every generation goes through:

"This new generation? They're all punks! Back in my day we were great..."

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I really hate generalizations. I know sometimes I do it too, but I really try not to. When you look at a child, you don't know what they have or don't have. You don't know what they did to earn it. You don't know that they might have been a hard working student and DESERVED a new laptop because they, like me, spend hours on their homework every night. I don't have time, like my parents did, to get a job, because they didn't have to do all the homework I had to do. As society changes, there will be people who compare the past with the present, which isn't fair. I face more difficult schooling than my parents, who want me to be successful then them, who didn't go to college.
There are still things that kids beg for they do not need or beg for more than they need the most advanced phone when a basic one will do.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
i want kids to be interested in the past..... i could walk up to some kids i know and ask what the north and south were fighting about and none would give me the correct answer....

some kids think everyone is always happy and that every child gets what they ask for no thoughts for kids in other places...
I suppose this may be a reason for some of the confusion but when you say "kid", what is the age group you're referring to? If it's a very young kid around 5 years old, obviously asking it about North and South Korea is likely to be a hopeless endevour but if the person is 17 years old, it's more likely they know. So, what is the age range you're targeting?

Society is constantly advancing in technology and people want to apply this to kids, both to help them and because they can make a hell of a lot of money. For kids who are too young to have a job or are entering their teen years and don't yet have a job, their parents may give them money but when you look at the ads, they're not targeting simply the kids, they're targeting the parents because the parents have the wallets. The parents are also told to buy these items as it'll help their kids in some way, so the parents do and when the kids show some improvement, the parents accredit that to the things they bought, so they buy more. Naturally, the kid loves it because they're being smothered with toys and they learn that the parents will pull out their wallets without much hesitation when the kid wants something. How much of this is the kid's fault? None. Kids should learn to be more independent but this contradicts society's general view to make the kid's lives as amazing as possible by having the kids be dependent. Of course, once the kids are older, such as 15-16, society already expects them to be more independent.

You may want kids to be interested in the past but the kids are influenced by the parents, peers and education system. If the parents aren't interested much in having the kids learn history yet, and the education system doesn't teach much, why would the kid be interested? You could answer that it affects their lives but that's a horrible answer because I could want kids to be interested in medicine but if they haven't learned much of it for the same reasons, it's silly on my part to expect them to know what William's Syndrome is.

In any group you look at, you're bound to get members who are ignorant, stupid, arrogant, and other characteristics. You've found the ones who are ignorant and somewhat arrogant, however, this doesn't mean all them are like this.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#31 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
were moving to a waste society everything get replaced as soon as something new comes out.
This is in response to "oh screw the rich!"

Dude, seriously, and not to sound overly critical - that sounds like something an angry poor person would say.

Yeah, I'm a rich brat. I had a limo pick me up from college to take me to the airport. I see myself as Harry Osborn. I was the kind of guy who told my Dad to NOT have it on campus so people couldn't see me in it.

Sure there are advantages - I get what I want, go where I want, be what I want, I feel "guilty" saying my parents pay for my apartment so I can be an intern at a top company...

But, in addition to that? There are some times when I (and other rich guys I know) feel like our parents think they can just throw money at something and all our problems will disappear. "He's not feeling so good - throw him this and his problems will be gone!" Or the constant reaction of people less off and how they see us - "he has a lot of money, how can he possibly have any problems?"

So do I feel entitled to it? What exactly are you saying? Should I just give up everything I have? Seriously? Yeah I'm entitled to it, I was adopted into it - it's the class standing I've been brought into. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. My life? Isn't that perfect either my real dad ran away before I was even born and my real Mom had to send me away - I never knew them. So naturally I relate to the young orphan billionaire playboy types (Oliver Queen, Sam Flynn) who act out in only ways rich people can - so, yeah that's showing the money... but behind that? I'm still just an angry kid that was thrown out into this world falling apart around me alone.

I have money - but what's beneath it doesn't go away.

You grew up poor - you wish rich people didn't get as much as they do - I get it. Look at the other side - being rich isn't all it's made out to be either.

If you were talking about some kids not caring enough, being too immature, etc. that would be one thing but your first post? That was just "I hate that people have so much" and seemed to be more of an attack on upper middle class and upper class in general.

"Maybe I just like people. Maybe sexuality isn't one thing or the other. Maybe it's just something that's shifting and moving. I just know I'm not thinking man or woman."
- SHAMELESS.

Last edited by ThePunkAlien; December 20th 2010 at 09:08 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 08:59 PM

I didn't really view it like that. I thought it was a statement on how materialistic this generation can appear to be. Just look at iPhones. Everyone I know who had a 3GS rushed to get the iPhone 4 when it came out. Not as a statement of wealth, just to be up to date with material possessions.

(I'm not being offensive to anyone. I own an iPhone. It's great.)

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunkAlien View Post

Dude, seriously, and not to sound overly critical - that sounds like something an angry poor person would say.

Yeah, I'm a rich brat. I had a limo pick me up from college to take me to the airport. I see myself as Harry Osborn. Sure there are advantages - I get what I want, go where I want, be what I want...

But, in addition to that? There are some times when I (and other rich guys I know) feel like our parents think they can just throw money at something and all our problems will disappear. "He's not feeling so good - throw him this and his problems will be gone!" Or the constant reaction of people less off and how they see us - "he has a lot of money, how can he possibly have any problems?"

Yeah, you grew up poor - you wish rich people didn't get as much as they do. Look at the other side - being rich isn't all it's made out to be either.

If you were talking about some kids not caring enough, being too immature, etc. that would be one thing but your first post? That was just "I hate that people have so much" and seemed to be more of an attack on upper middle class and upper class in general.
The rich can be worse off than the poor for that reason. Some of them think that money will solve all of their problems. I am a middle- class young adult and know better than that.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
This thread is such a massive generalisation (as stated - I'm just backing it up).

To say people don't hold doors open these days except you isn't true. I do it too. So does that mean you and I are the only ones? There's another generalisation.

There are ignorant people, there are disrespectful people, and there are stupid people. But to say that all kids these days are like that is, quite honestly, ignorant.
did i say only me hold doors open let me read what i said......
nope i said from a personal experiance and that has been many incidents with many different kids...

(#35 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm a rich brat. I had a limo pick me up from college to take me to the airport. I see myself as Harry Osborn. I was the kind of guy who told my Dad to NOT have it on campus so people couldn't see me in it.

Sure there are advantages - I get what I want, go where I want, be what I want, I feel "guilty" saying my parents pay for my apartment so I can be an intern at a top company...

So do I feel entitled to it? What exactly are you saying? Should I just give up everything I have? Seriously? Yeah I'm entitled to it, I was adopted into it - it's the class standing I've been brought into. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. My life? Isn't that perfect either my real dad ran away before I was even born and my real Mom had to send me away - I never knew them. So naturally I relate to the young orphan billionaire playboy types (Oliver Queen, Sam Flynn) who act out in only ways rich people can - so, yeah that's showing the money... but behind that? I'm still just an angry kid that was thrown out into this world falling apart around me alone.

I have money - but what's beneath it doesn't go away.

You grew up poor - you wish rich people didn't get as much as they do - I get it. Look at the other side - being rich isn't all it's made out to be either.

lol a poor person........ i have more invested in my hobby/job then most people have in there car im far from poor also if you really want me to i can pull up what i alone spent in sk and snap on tools this year

you know nothing about my familys income and youd really be suprised if i posted it but since its not my personal income i wont post it...

(#36 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I didn't really view it like that. I thought it was a statement on how materialistic this generation can appear to be. Just look at iPhones. Everyone I know who had a 3GS rushed to get the iPhone 4 when it came out. Not as a statement of wealth, just to be up to date with material possessions.

(I'm not being offensive to anyone. I own an iPhone. It's great.)
thanks you thats exactly what i was getting at....

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 09:33 PM

Yeah, but the whole post came across as an ego stroking rant that you were the only person who did respectable (in your opinion) things, and that everyone else was the problem.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to prove. Some kids do need to learn respect, but that's nothing new. Some adults need to learn respect as well. As do some senior citizens.

The way I see it, this is a thread for people to stroke their egos about how "good" they are to society and how everyone else is doing an awful job behaving the way they are.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
lol a poor person........
Just came off as, also saw WWIII post, "wish kids who have it so good were taken down a peg to find out what hardship can really be like." Cause I'm used to dealing with those people and that kind of reaction a lot.

The real eye opener was when the school didn't allow me to have a car freshman year, so I had to take the bus - no one in downtown cared. But, the second I drove by there in my BMW - I could see how angry people get about money.

"Maybe I just like people. Maybe sexuality isn't one thing or the other. Maybe it's just something that's shifting and moving. I just know I'm not thinking man or woman."
- SHAMELESS.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 09:39 PM

Also, just because someone is well-off does not mean that they do not know hardship or that they go around bragging about it and looking down on people.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: kids today - December 20th 2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but the whole post came across as an ego stroking rant that you were the only person who did respectable (in your opinion) things, and that everyone else was the problem.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to prove. Some kids do need to learn respect, but that's nothing new. Some adults need to learn respect as well. As do some senior citizens.

The way I see it, this is a thread for people to stroke their egos about how "good" they are to society and how everyone else is doing an awful job behaving the way they are.
not at all how i wanted it to sound. i wasnt talking about all kids just the ones i see im sure there are some good ones but the bad likelly outweigh the good...

Quote:
Just came off as, also saw WWIII post, "wish kids who have it so good were taken down a peg to find out what hardship can really be like." Cause I'm used to dealing with those people and that kind of reaction a lot.

The real eye opener was when the school didn't allow me to have a car freshman year, so I had to take the bus - no one in downtown cared. But, the second I drove by there in my BMW - I could see how angry people get about money.
meh its not a money issue for me its how (as someone put the word for me) materialistic everyone has become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
Also, just because someone is well-off does not mean that they do not know hardship or that they go around bragging about it and looking down on people.
never said they all didnt..... but i know alot who do...

Closed Thread