TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 01:05 AM

Article

Quote:
(Newser) – Dedicated gamers beware—researchers have identified a skin disorder just for you, the BBC reports. “PlayStation palmar hidradenitis” is characterized by painful lumpy sores on the palms. British researchers think it's caused by gripping the controller tightly with sweaty hands for extended periods. Good news, though: Symptoms appear to clear up—if gamers can go cold turkey for a while.
Scientists writing in the British Journal of Dermatology describe the case of a 12-year-old girl who checked into a Swiss hospital with the sores after playing a game for several hours a day. She recovered after a 10-day break. "We do not wish to belittle this research and will study the findings with interest," said Sony, the maker of PlayStation. "This is the first time we have ever heard of a complaint of this nature."
Another reason for me not to play video games. I can't believe people have time to just sit and do those games all day.


--A
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Rican Roll's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: Windy City

Posts: 217
Join Date: January 19th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 02:02 AM

You know, there are guys who wonder how people can sit on myspace/forums/blogs/etc. all day long too. At least a video game is more engaging.


Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 02:04 AM

I don't spend my life playing games maybe an hour or so a day which isn't a lot.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican Roll View Post
You know, there are guys who wonder how people can sit on myspace/forums/blogs/etc. all day long too. At least a video game is more engaging.
I personally think that the internet is more engaging. You are actually connecting with other people and communicating. A video game is nothing past the screen.


--A
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while
********
 
Hdjdjdjduvieg's Avatar
 
Name: no

Posts: 1,127
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 02:06 AM

Sounds a lot like "ipod thumb"...


I love the name of honour more than I fear death.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 02:53 AM

But you're on TH as you say this...

What if you cut down your hours for everything and spent 20 minutes a day just looking after your skin. Sounds like something I should do..


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Rican Roll's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: Windy City

Posts: 217
Join Date: January 19th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
I personally think that the internet is more engaging. You are actually connecting with other people and communicating. A video game is nothing past the screen.
How is that? Most games now are online and you communicate with other gamers and work together to accomplish in game goals. Heck, a lot of games are far more engaging than sitting on myspace or your blog. Halo 3, World of Warcraft, Team Fortress Two, Left 4 Dead, and Counter Strike immediately come to mind.


Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while
********
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Name: Toast
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,285
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 03:17 AM

Isn't that called blisters? Or is it somehow different?


Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 03:19 AM

Sounds like a heat rash or something of that nature. Too much of anything can cause problems. *shrugs*


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Pessimistic Panda's Avatar
 
Name: Jennifer
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Location: Three rivers Mi

Posts: 914
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 03:39 AM

wow. i think it's proof what over use of anything will do to you. Video games, internet, whatnot should be done in moderation. or else you're going to have these problems.


You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus




  Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 04:11 AM

A video game is ALOT more than just a screen...Thats like saying "a book is just words on a paper", or "movies are just screens." I could name many games that have great depths in their stories, innovative gameplay ideas....but no one here seems to play much so...meh. I don't want to ramble on too much about this.

Well, good thing I don't play very much anymore though. And I still got my comp games
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Oiseau the Little Bird!'s Avatar
 
Name: Bernadette
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 457
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 13th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 04:55 AM

Lol looks like it's a slow news day when people make up news stories to scare the naive.


Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.


  Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Dasha's Avatar
 
Name: Dasha
Gender: Female
Location: South-East Longways

Posts: 409
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 08:33 AM

Heh, that's hilarious. I know a friend who actually does play video games constantly. But he's got like, one of those controllers with fans in them. Fucking awesome


"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 11:19 AM

Her parents had to take her to the hospital.


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Power Cosmic's Avatar
 
Name: Janos
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Posts: 3,922
Blog Entries: 225
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 02:29 PM

This sounds ridiculous =/
Too much of anything can of course cause blisters, as long as you take appropriate care of yourself.
I'm working on a degree in Games Design, and I just have to say, games are so, so much more than just a screen, and I'm curious to how she could have gotten sores whilst playing for only several hours a day? ...
I'm not so bad anymore, but I used to easily hit 7-8 hours on schooldays and approaching double that on weekends and holidays, and I got nothing except hunger pangs due to forgetting about meals *rolls eyes* but thats another story altogether =P
Just my two pence on the matter.




"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

  Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Bibliophile's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,709
Blog Entries: 165
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 02:56 PM

She must have being playing for an awful long time.
Just another reason to stay away from the things.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Gaia's Avatar
 
Name: Lou
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: ekam eveileb

Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 03:09 PM

This reminds me of an episode of CSI when they caught the killer due to the sores on his hand. He left a mark somewhere...
Anyways.
I don't find the internet nor gaming bad, in moderation.
I spend at least two hours outside everyday.
Y'all should try it


"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 03:57 PM

I'm safe then, I get really bored if I do the same thing for too long so I don't normally stay on a game longer than an hour.

Oooh and for whoever was talking about the internet being better or something, couldn't the same thing happen to you if you were holding the mouse for too long?


   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while
********
 
*Faith*'s Avatar
 
Name: Faith
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 25
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 04:11 PM

I don't think it could've been a disease :confused: maybe just a wart/blister thing. Many people get them from sweaty hands....or is that just me?


You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Deep Brown Eyes's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Posts: 513
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyheartbeat View Post
This reminds me of an episode of CSI when they caught the killer due to the sores on his hand. He left a mark somewhere...
Anyways.
I don't find the internet nor gaming bad, in moderation.
I spend at least two hours outside everyday.
Y'all should try it
He was a games tester, and the repetitive contact with the controllers buttons had created a sore-spot on his fingertips and had subsequently worn away at his fingerprints. The void in his fingerprints is what gave him away, because the void at the crime scene matched the ones he had.

Anyway, this story is nothing new. I used to play Gran Turismo 2 and Fifa 2000 on my PS1 for 6 hours + daily when I was younger. I frequently had blisters on my hand that would fill with water.

Plus, people who play games frequently know that you shouldn't play for more than an hour at a time. Guidelines are there for a reason. If a radiologist spent more time in an x-ray room than the guidelines suggest and developed something other than x-rays, nobody is going to call it a new disorder - it'll just be their own stupidity to blame.


   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
guv11 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
guv11's Avatar
 
Age: 27

Posts: 35
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 09:26 PM

i think i had this when i was younger...i think what they mean isnt a blister but something that resembles hard skin but on your hands, the difference is that blisters are painful however this (or at least what hgappened to me) doesnt cause pain.

although the only cases ive ever heard mentioned are only in children...prehaps your skin is still developing??
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Guardian_Angel Offline
Protector.
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Guardian_Angel's Avatar
 
Name: Peter
Age: 28
Gender: I am a pretty woman! 8D
Location: London UK

Posts: 301
Blog Entries: 36
Join Date: January 25th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 25th 2009, 09:39 PM

Mwahaha, some people just cannot over indulge as well as I can, I can play a video game, ALL day for several days stopping for the toilet and food in the holidays. but i don't ever get sores or repetitive eye strain... and i seriously serioulsy spend every moment of free time in front of my computer screen (which is based beside my bed) or on my now HD tv.
pathetic I may be. but gaming is immersive and hell it allows me to escape into a world which is hell of a lot more exciting than my life.
hence why i love RPGs or strategy. So to say its just a screen is... ignorant of the nature of some games.
mwahaha my mighty fingers are too strong for blisters
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican Roll View Post
How is that? Most games now are online and you communicate with other gamers and work together to accomplish in game goals. Heck, a lot of games are far more engaging than sitting on myspace or your blog. Halo 3, World of Warcraft, Team Fortress Two, Left 4 Dead, and Counter Strike immediately come to mind.
I don't think that video games are more engaging than the internet. Video games are just games to me, something that moves on the screen that you try to play with. I'm not into video games. With my internet usage, I spend the majority of the time on TeenHelp. A lot of days I don't even bother logging into myspace. TeenHelp certainly isn't a waste of time for me--I'm accomplishing things. I'm helping others and I'm debating, which I love.

In case you can't tell, I was raised in a house without video games. We have one television, which I'm sure is way below the average. I touched a video game system maybe 6 times in my life for no more than 10 minutes each time before this Christmas, when my grandparents bought us a Wii. I've used that maybe 6 times since we've gotten it. It's just not something that I'm into, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
He was a games tester, and the repetitive contact with the controllers buttons had created a sore-spot on his fingertips and had subsequently worn away at his fingerprints. The void in his fingerprints is what gave him away, because the void at the crime scene matched the ones he had.
Does that happen often? I do a lot of activities that involve my hands and parts of them become blistered as well as calloused from these activities. Could I actually wear off my finger prints?


--A
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Fucking Done's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Posts: 658
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 02:08 AM

What's a couple blisters for hours of fun eh.
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Rican Roll's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: Windy City

Posts: 217
Join Date: January 19th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
I don't think that video games are more engaging than the internet. Video games are just games to me, something that moves on the screen that you try to play with. I'm not into video games.
It's understandable if video games aren't your thing. The point I'm trying to make though is, just because you don't find them engaging doesn't mean that they are just screens that people waste their time in front of while you go about your 'interwebz' business.

You're on the same level as gamers, just with a different outlet. I guess I just felt that you were talking down to people who game, as if sitting on teenhelp/myspace/your blog was somehow better and not worthy of being looked upon as the same level as video games.

If I'm mistaken then I apologize, but that was the impression given.


Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican Roll View Post
It's understandable if video games aren't your thing. The point I'm trying to make though is, just because you don't find them engaging doesn't mean that they are just screens that people waste their time in front of while you go about your 'interwebz' business.

You're on the same level as gamers, just with a different outlet. I guess I just felt that you were talking down to people who game, as if sitting on teenhelp/myspace/your blog was somehow better and not worthy of being looked upon as the same level as video games.

If I'm mistaken then I apologize, but that was the impression given.
I don't see video games as a total waste of time, but they should be used in moderation. I've seen the educational video games, I've seen the ones with puzzles that can involve you. I do think that being on TeenHelp is more engaging and better than playing video games, but that also depends on your reasons for being on the site. If you are using chat, then not it is not better than a video game. But giving advice is way better than a video game to me.


--A
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough
*********
 
TheNumber42's Avatar
 
Name: Cody
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 2,145
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyheartbeat View Post
...
I spend at least two hours outside everyday.
Y'all should try it
Outside? What's this mystical place you speak of?


I normally only play for maybe 4-5 hours a day, maybe double that on weekends. But 4-5 hours isn't very hard to do without neglecting other stuff when you don't sleep until at the earliest 2am every night

As far as games being more than just pixels on screen, I used to play RuneScape (perhaps a bit excessively). I had alot of friends I would talk to and hang out with, we would go exploring and fighting together. I mean, it was a community just like TH is a community (well, maybe a bit less mature, but so was I). Now I play Urban Terror, which is an online FPS. Even though on the surface all it is is shooting things and blowing heads off, there is alot more to it. To actually do any good, it is important that you work together with your team, covering them, medding them, defending them while they plant or defuse a bomb, etc. And I frequent the same servers, so I have friends that I meet up with on there. Again, it's a commuity, not just a game.

In reply to Amanda Kate above, I do agree that giving advice is alot more rewarding mentally and emotionally for all parties in most cases and that I've made some amazing friends while doing it. But I think video games are much better at just letting you escape and relax. I can play guitar hero and because I'm concentrating on the game, it cheers me up just by the fact that I can't concentrate on the problems in my real life.


~Cody

Normal User
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 06:29 PM

If I were to get any kind of sores, it would be from mast...icating. Tough food hurts.

Yeah...


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Acedread Offline
Big Mike
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Acedread's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: California

Posts: 42
Join Date: February 19th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 06:38 PM

Ughh.. First it was carpel tunnel I had to be worried about and now this.

Does this also apply to PC gamers that use the mouse, as well?
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
LillyImp Offline
Average Joe
***
 
LillyImp's Avatar
 
Name: Lilly
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 196
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 06:39 PM

That's crazy. O.O
Reminds me of my sister though, who has internet addiction. I guess that is about the same. Only without sores.
And yea, a real good reason to not be a gamer.
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Deep Brown Eyes's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Posts: 513
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 26th 2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Does that happen often? I do a lot of activities that involve my hands and parts of them become blistered as well as calloused from these activities. Could I actually wear off my finger prints?
It's possible, but would take a very long time. I'd estimate at least 9 hours a day for 18 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedread View Post
Ughh.. First it was carpel tunnel I had to be worried about and now this.

Does this also apply to PC gamers that use the mouse, as well?
PC gamers are more likely to get RSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyImp View Post
And yea, a real good reason to not be a gamer.
Not really, otherwise the risk of damaging your eyesight would be a good reason to not use a computer or TV. Risk of RSI would be a good reason to not text. Potential risk of developing cancer from a mobile would be good reason to not use a mobile phone. The risk of getting mugged would be good reason to not go out. The risk of falling over would be good reason to never even get out of bed.
See where I'm going?
If we relied solely on how risky an action is, we wouldn't have survived as a human race. We compare the risk of an action to its reward, and the persons inner desire to perform that event, and that's what makes reasoning.

I've played PC games and console games, a lot, for the last 11 years, and the worst I've gotten is a sore wrist because I wasn't using proper wrist support and a few blisters. The risks of this is negligible to me personally.
Also, how many decades have consoles been around? And they're "discovering" this now?
And a serious disorder would not have a trademark in its name. "Playstation palmar hidradenitis"? I guess it doesn't apply to XBox and Wii users. What about previous generations of consoles - the NES? or the Atari consoles? Can playing them too much do it too?



Last edited by Deep Brown Eyes; February 26th 2009 at 07:51 PM.
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while
********
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Name: Toast
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,285
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: Gamers, Beware of Skin Disorder - February 27th 2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guv11 View Post
i think i had this when i was younger...i think what they mean isnt a blister but something that resembles hard skin but on your hands, the difference is that blisters are painful however this (or at least what hgappened to me) doesnt cause pain.

although the only cases ive ever heard mentioned are only in children...prehaps your skin is still developing??
So a callous? (I can't remember how to spell that)


Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
beware, disorder, gamers, skin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.