TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 01:20 AM

Article

Quote:
(Newser) – No Child Left Behind has become “the most negative brand in America,” says a congressman, and new Education Secretary Arne Duncan says it’s time for a new name for the law. Educators and jokesters alike are trying their hand at rebranding, the New York Times reports. Proposals range from the Quality Education for All Children Act to the Mental Asset Recovery Plan.
The Bush administration created its current name in 2001 as it proposed a number of changes to an act that was actually born in 1965. As President Bush’s popularity fell, the act was frequently lampooned. Now, a Clinton administration official is sponsoring an online contest to rebrand it. Entries include the Act to Help Children Read Gooder and the Could We Start Again Please Act.
First of all, I must say that I love the entries for a new name for this act. For people in the states, how do you feel No Child Left Behind has affected you? I personally think that it has been a detriment to me. I am in Gifted Education classes and I was unable to receive supplements in my other classes because of this act. It also seems to push the idea that everyone will grasp every concept. In my state, we have to take SOLs (Standards of Learning tests) and eventually they want to make it so in order to be fully accredited, we have to have a 100% pass rate. Either they are going to dumb these tests way down or they are completely crazy. Not everyone is going to learn everything no matter how hard they try.

--A

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 01:27 AM

Teachers in my state allow any student to pass because of this law they refuse to take punishment.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Teachers in my state allow any student to pass because of this law they refuse to take punishment.
That's horrible. What good does it do to the student to be sent ahead to the next level if they can't even understand what they are doing now? It probably allows a lot of kids to not care about what they are doing because they know they will be promoted anyway.

--A

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 01:34 AM

Half the kids that are above 5th grade can't even read above a second grade reading level.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 01:51 AM

Ohio they did dumb the tests down. The passing rate was pretty low, but then students still did not pass them. I had the highest rating in math with one year of algebra my freshman year and no math my sophomore year. My math teacher my junior year told me that I wasn't allowed to tell the sophomore students that. The only course I wasn't advanced in was writing, but that's because they focused on writing a five-paragraph essay with five sentences per paragraph.

Quote:
Half the kids that are above 5th grade can't even read above a second grade reading level.
Source please?

Beware of the cats.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adean View Post
Ohio they did dumb the tests down. The passing rate was pretty low, but then students still did not pass them. I had the highest rating in math with one year of algebra my freshman year and no math my sophomore year. My math teacher my junior year told me that I wasn't allowed to tell the sophomore students that. The only course I wasn't advanced in was writing, but that's because they focused on writing a five-paragraph essay with five sentences per paragraph.
When I was in 8th grade, I took Algebra. They asked a bunch of us to take the Math 8 SOL so the school would be accredited. Basically the kids in the Math 8 classes were expected to fail. I've gotten perfect scores on two of my tests. I don't understand how they grade the tests, because I've missed a question before yet I still managed to get a perfect 600 on the test. That doesn't make sense to me.

--A

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 02:01 AM

That's what I've witnessed working in a school along with fellow staff, who have also dealth with students who cannot read or write. Teachers from 1st-to 4th grade refuse to held back any student because they are woried they will be fired so instead they pass the student to the next level.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 02:08 AM

Nothing worse than a catastrophic failure in a system. If a child doesn't understand a concept, then re-teach it until the child is not failing. But don't deduct money from schools or fire teachers for the lack of understanding in a child's mental processing.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
That's what I've witnessed working in a school along with fellow staff, who have also dealth with students who cannot read or write. Teachers from 1st-to 4th grade refuse to held back any student because they are woried they will be fired so instead they pass the student to the next level.
That's different from what you said.

To be fair, the teacher did yell at me because I really shouldn't have been in the traditionally, non-honors sophomore class and I was being a smart ass. I was taking a class above algebra II during the same time as geometry because I skipped algebra II.

Beware of the cats.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 02:45 AM

Well, from my experience with my college classmates, the ones who just graduated high school in the last few years, have a hard time managing to get by.The work is to difficult. Class time is spent going over the same concepts over and over again. My point is, they should have been taught better in high school, not just passed along

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
That's horrible. What good does it do to the student to be sent ahead to the next level if they can't even understand what they are doing now? It probably allows a lot of kids to not care about what they are doing because they know they will be promoted anyway.

That's exactly what I"m thinking. I remember being in school and knowing I had to get good grades to pass. It's going to end up promoting kids slacking type behaviors, then the parent's are going to end up saying, "My son Jimmy isn't excelling like he used to." I think it's going to be clear as day why he's not excelling if it's going to be like this.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 06:08 AM

Well I went to a private school until high school and was shocked by the level of education I was met with in high school. In my freshman honors English class people didn't know what a preposition was. Scarier still my current college roommate asked me what a preposition was, asked me the difference between effect and affect, and asked her mother on the phone if the Civil war was after the Revolution, which she though started in 1778, which I couldn't help but correct. Scary and sad that a person like that is in college.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: No Child Left Behind Discussion - February 25th 2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
What good does it do to the student to be sent ahead to the next level if they can't even understand what they are doing now? It probably allows a lot of kids to not care about what they are doing because they know they will be promoted anyway.
Exactly.

I've even seen it in the preschools I'm working at. They promote the kids even if they're not ready. I think the No Child Left Behind is why there's kids starting school so young. There's very young three year olds in school district programs, and most of the time they aren't ready for it.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

Closed Thread