TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 01:26 AM

Article

Quote:
(Newser) – A California lawmaker thinks he has a solution for the state’s fiscal woes: Tax marijuana. Assemblyman Tom Ammiano has introduced a bill that would legalize, regulate, and tax pot, treating the drug like alcohol or tobacco, the Los Angeles Times reports. “I know the jokes are going to be coming,” Ammiano says, “but this is not a frivolous issue.”
By some estimates, California’s pot industry rakes in $14 billion each year, which would make it by far the state’s biggest cash crop. If that’s accurate, the state—struggling to close a $42 billion deficit—could make upward of $1 billion in taxes. But opponents say it “would create a whole new set of costs for society,” making pot easier to obtain and increasing incidences of driving under the influence.
I think that if you were to tax and legalize pot that it could rake in a lot of money. However, legalizing it could cause other issues such as driving under the influence. I think that if you are already smoking pot then you know how to obtain it. Having easier access to it won't matter, you still have to have the funds to purchase the goods. Honestly, just because it is easier to obtain doesn't mean that you'll drive under the influence. Alcohol is easy to obtain, but if you were an alcohol user and wanted it, you'd find a way to get some and go on driving if you chose to. I think pot would be the same most likely.

--A

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 01:30 AM

Legalizing it would cause less people to drive under the influence. High Driving would have the same penalties as drunk driving. If people could get high legally, they would treat it like alcohol.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 01:32 AM

People are going to smoke it either way legal or not legal, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be legal.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
Legalizing it would cause less people to drive under the influence. High Driving would have the same penalties as drunk driving. If people could get high legally, they would treat it like alcohol.
In my state if you drive high, you get the same consequences as if you were driving drunk. However, they usually just test you for alcohol because that's more common and high driving involves a blood test to prove it. You probably get worse consequences driving high, because most likely you still have some of the substance with you. You can't get in trouble here for being high, you have to have possession of it. I have friends who went into WalMart high and saw a police officer there. He asked if they were high and they admitted it, but he could do nothing because they didn't have anything on them (they were searched).

--A

(#5 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 02:22 AM

I'm all for the legalization and taxation of marijuana. (Y) Use it like tobacco and alcohol--make money and allow for it's recreational use.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 03:07 AM

Sounds like a good idea. makes money, so why not?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 03:13 AM

I'm torn on this. It seems like a good way to make money for the state but it *could* get dangerous. So I don't know..

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 04:14 AM

I'm all for it. Driving high is no where nearly as difficult or uncoordinating as driving wasted is. In my opinion at least. I'm just afraid that the quality will go down.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Confused1isin Offline
Straight Edge LIFE!!!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelly or Khaos

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 03:41 PM

If it will help the economy, then why not! I have a feeling that if they make pot legal, then the demand will go down, nothings fun legal.

"It took a funeral to make me feel alive"
"
Forget regret or life is yours to miss, no other road, no other way. No DAY BUT TODAY!!!!"
  Send a message via AIM to Confused1isin Send a message via MSN to Confused1isin  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Article

I think that if you are already smoking pot then you know how to obtain it. Having easier access to it won't matter.
Well I know a lot of people who won't smoke pot because of the fact that it's illegal so maybe making it legal would cause more people to smoke it.

Also, I agree it is just like alcohol, people probably will drive under the influence of pot but they do that with alcohol already and I don't see anyone making alcohol illegal.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
aloharocker Offline
writer
Average Joe

Name: Steffani

Re: Calif. Legislator Wants To Tax & Legalize Pot... Will it Work? - February 25th 2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
High Driving would have the same penalties as drunk driving. If people could get high legally, they would treat it like alcohol.
My thoughts exactly. I've been supporting this idea for years. I think it would make a lot of money and I honestly don't see why marijuana is considered worse than alcohol.

If you need someone to talk to, my PM box is always open.

I've been a member of TeenHelp on and off since I was 16.

Closed Thread