TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Flight. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 03:26 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Do you think that those that sell cigarettes such as in supermarkets and corner shops are influencing people to smoke?

Last edited by Flight.; January 18th 2011 at 03:38 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 03:35 AM

No. Business is business. If you aren't being forced to smoke cigarettes, then it's completely your choice and therefore you have no obligation to buy the cigarettes. If you buy the cigarettes, it's not because it was the tobacco company that pushed their products to be on supermarket and corner shop shelves, but it was because you made the choice to buy those cigarettes. Just because they give you the ability to buy cigarettes doesn't necessarily make them "just as bad" as the people who smoke the cigarettes. The people who smoke the cigarettes are only supporting tobacco companies. It's contradicting. It's like going to war against an ally -- doesn't really make sense.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 03:43 AM

I do kind of, because the stores are making the cigarettes easily accessible.

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#4 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
No. Business is business. If you aren't being forced to smoke cigarettes, then it's completely your choice and therefore you have no obligation to buy the cigarettes. If you buy the cigarettes, it's not because it was the tobacco company that pushed their products to be on supermarket and corner shop shelves, but it was because you made the choice to buy those cigarettes. Just because they give you the ability to buy cigarettes doesn't necessarily make them "just as bad" as the people who smoke the cigarettes. The people who smoke the cigarettes are only supporting tobacco companies. It's contradicting. It's like going to war against an ally -- doesn't really make sense.
i second this.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 04:18 AM

Not really. The stores don't hawk them at you; they're just selling a product, like toilet paper or soap.

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
i_am_waves Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ryan

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 04:37 AM

Not at all. There are plenty of things readily available at a supermarket that I don't feel obligated to buy. And if you're a smoker, it doesn't really matter how available cigarettes are - you'll go pretty much anywhere to get them. And if you're not a smoker, cigarettes probably aren't really appealing to you.

Send a message via MSN to i_am_waves  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 04:44 AM

Not really. If a person wants to smoke they'll get them anyway, just somewhere else.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 04:59 AM

As oppose to selling them where?

Lets use Italy as an example.They pretty much only sell tobacco is special tabacco stores, not supermarkets, etc. But lots of them smoke.

Also as said, smokers will generally go pretty far for tobacco (I have to admit, I have gone in search of it, maybe for a 20 minute walk there, and 20 minutes back, just to get tobacco late at night to a gas station when my corner store was closed. And none smokers aren't just going to start smoking because they walk past fags in a store. Usually people start socially, having some from their friends or families, before they start buying their own. Smoking isn't cheap, you aren't just often going to go buy a packof fags unless you like smoking.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 11:57 AM

Yeah , causeb the first (and only) time I smoked was when in a shop and noticing them , my friend and I got on older friend to go buy them later.
I hated it!
It was horrid! Left me smelly and tasted like crap
Easy to do , but yukky!
Never again

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 12:35 PM

If cigarettes were made illegal people would still smoke them. Nobody forces anyone to smoke. It's common knowledge it's bad for you, they have pictures of ruined lungs and dead people on cigarette packets in UK. If that doesn't make someone quit then I don't know what will.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
If cigarettes were made illegal people would still smoke them. Nobody forces anyone to smoke. It's common knowledge it's bad for you, they have pictures of ruined lungs and dead people on cigarette packets in UK. If that doesn't make someone quit then I don't know what will.
I think the extremity of such photos actually makes them get taken less seriously. Like my friends when trying to identify their tabacco from mine or others will be like 'Im the dead guy' or something, it becomes a joke. Pyschologically, hard hitting ads can make people pay attention, but if they go to far, people tend to block them out. I do believe simply the 'Smoking Kills' words were meant to have correlated well with a decrease in smoking. I am really not sure about the pictures though.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 07:07 PM

No, they are kept behind the counter and to get them you have to ask the 80 year old granny working the register to sell them to you.

I feel discouraged to buy them when I have to ask for them.

Plus this is definitely one of the situations where you could plug any product into the blank. Do they also encourage junk food and alcohol?

My friends and my parents turned me on to smoking. Seeing them randomly in the store was no encouragement at all.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 07:15 PM

Hardly. I don't even notice the cigarettes behind the counter even though they'r there.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Cigarettes. - January 18th 2011, 07:28 PM

I once went on a 30 minute ride to get cigarettes at 3AM in the morning. All of the nearby gas stations were closed so we went to a 7 11. Yea...
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Cigarettes. - January 19th 2011, 12:41 AM

Are supermarkets influencing people to stab their spouses by selling kitchen knives? Are supermarkets influencing people to eat dog biscuits? Are convenient stores influencing people to buy lottery tickets? Are supermarkets influencing people to buy pots and pans to whack strangers on the head with? It goes on and on.

Answer is no. People smoke cigarettes one way or the other, it's sold because it's good business. People smoke cigarettes, stab each other, eat dog cookies and buy lottery tickets because they want to. Stores sell hundreds of items and each item has its own advertisement that is designed to encourage people to favour it over other items and buy it.

Part of the question though is silly because blaming supermarkets or convenient stores are the ways you'll get cigarettes. If it's not in a store, chances are you're not going to get it because other places generally won't sell them. When I go to buy my train passes at the train stations, I don't have the opportunity to buy a set of steak knives and large box of dog biscuits while I'm there because those items are for the stores.

One fundamental difference between all these items listed is cigarettes are available if you ask the store employee for them and show ID. You don't need to show the store employee you're 21 to buy a cantaloupe. The location of cigarettes restricts customers from freely examining them and they are pressured to ask for them as though they are infants asking their parents if they can have a tasty cookie. If anything, supermarkets unencourage people from buying cigarettes based on their location.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Cigarettes. - January 19th 2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
My friend either buys the one with no picture or just throws the box away and put his cigarettes in another box. =/

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Cigarettes. - January 19th 2011, 08:39 AM

No I dont think so. People rarely just say 'im going to start smoking" as they are standing in the supermarket queue waiting to pay. Supermarkets just make it easier for people to buy cigarettes, as supermarkets are visited by everyone because of food, which is a necessity. If someone wants to smoke, they will get ciggies, whether from the supermarket or another store. The convenience of the supermarket selling them just means they dont have to walk :P

The pictures dont put people off. Neither do the words, and I can guess why. Everything is bad for you these days. Sugar is bad for you, but sweetener is too. Plastic bottles cause cancer, coca cola is rubbish for you, but diet coke is just as bad. Tea stains your insides, coffee is a diuretic and keeps you up all night. McDs, Burger King, KFC is rubbish for you, go to Subway...but oh Subway can be just as unhealthy with cheese and bacon and some of the high fat sauces the cookies and the muffins. Energy drinks are bad for you, juices have way too much sugar, ribena doesn't have vitamin B or whatever it was meant to have! Get my point, no one cares! Everyone just thinks 'oh yea may have affected one of two people but it won't hurt me!'

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Reflections Offline
Alice
Average Joe

Name: Alice

Re: Cigarettes. - January 20th 2011, 01:05 PM

I'd have to say my friend got me started. Was really stressed and upset, than took a puff, and so on and so forth xD

I don't know about where you all live, but here in Canada it's against the law to "display" tobaco products. They all have to be hidden, either undrneath the counter, behind closed doors, anywhere, but not on display, or you get a pretty big fine. I think it's to stop what has been talked about, displaying leading to people buying. I honestly dn't think having them on display is making people not buy them, nor making them buy them. It's really expensive, and you almost always need ID. If I'm asked for ID, I obviously don't bother getting them, but that doesn't happen a lot of times.

I think they set up that law, just incase displaying made people buy it, but I don't see any reason to believe that that's the case for every smoker. That's just my opinion,
  Send a message via MSN to Reflections  
Closed Thread