TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: Do you think colleges should sent digital acceptance verdicts?
Yes, I think colleges should send digital acceptance verdicts. 7 50.00%
No, I think that colleges should not send digital acceptance verdicts. 6 42.86%
I am undecided on the topic. 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:12 AM

Article

Quote:
(Newser) – College admissions offices are jazzing up acceptance packages—adding confetti, T-shirts, internet videos—to lure students, and are also trying to keep up with the times in their rejections, US News and World Report writes. But some efforts have backfired, with students hurt by brutally short, electronic turndowns—including text messages as brief as “Admissions decision: Deny”—and high schools complaining that midday e-mails disrupt classrooms.
Even accepted students say the fanfare is no replacement for a traditional personalized letter. One senior says a letter that quoted her application won her over: “I’m not just a number to them.” Cost-cutting, tree-saving digital announcements seem here to stay, though admissions officers are listening to the criticism: Stanford has softened e-rejections, while others have rescheduled emails to avoid interfering with school.
Quite personally, I think that if they want you to to go their school that they should send you a nice, personalized acceptance letter. Even if you are denied you deserve to have an actual letter. A text message just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

--A

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:14 AM

I partially agree in that a text message does not cut it but disagree with a letter. An email will do nicely with a letter available on request from the school. Email is far more efficient and one can check in secret anyway.
Also Amanda is doubt there is such thing as a personalised letter, moreover it's bound to be just blank spaces for name and pass and fail with the same generic letter

I voted yes in the poll because digital does not mean only texts but anything ranging from a fax to an email

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:16 AM

I liked getting the traditional acceptance letters. The rejection I got was on an internet portal site, so that was kind of.. hard, but eh, whatever.

When I got accepted to the school I'm going to, though, I did get a nifty tee-shirt that I still wear.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:20 AM

I don't think they should. I remember getting SO excited when I was opening my letters. Digital would ruin all the fun.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:21 AM

You can check a digital in the comfort of your own room, in secret. I'm not saying families go through one's post but there is an obligation to open it there and then

(#6 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:30 AM

I could check online but also got a letter. I was so excited with the ability to check online--I found out before I got my letter.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:36 AM

Eh, I don't think I'd mind either way?
If I'm accepted, heck, I got an accepted!

A letter would still be nice for scrapbooking of whatever.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Eh, I don't think I'd mind either way?
If I'm accepted, heck, I got an accepted!

A letter would still be nice for scrapbooking of whatever.
I'm keeping all the letters I get. I probably get a stack of mail every week, a letter from this college saying they want me to apply, another from this one. I'm saving them all, mainly to see how many I get. It's nice. :P

--A

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 01:40 AM

I think they should do both. That should be an option, by the way. I found out half the time before receiving the letter I was accepted and it was nice. I knew back in December and had my letter about two weeks later. Actually, they did mess up sent me a letter telling me how my credits transfer a week before the results were up online.

Beware of the cats.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 09:11 AM

No, because I know plenty of people who still do not use computers or e-mail, what about them.

What about non-traditional students, I mean, I'm in class with 2 ladies in their 70's.

If they were going to do this, wouldn't they have to make it a requirement to include an e-mail address on your application?

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider*man(girl) View Post
No, because I know plenty of people who still do not use computers or e-mail, what about them.

What about non-traditional students, I mean, I'm in class with 2 ladies in their 70's.

If they were going to do this, wouldn't they have to make it a requirement to include an e-mail address on your application?
If it were optional, I don't see how there would be a problem.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#12 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 09:43 AM

Both, please. I think both is great, but I wold rather have universities cut costs on administrative crap and actually spend money on educating me, so don't really care if my letter quotes my app or not.

That being said, I only checked one school's decision online.. I didn't really care about the rest and I waited for the final verdict to come in the mail.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 10:19 AM

I think email is fine, the letters they send are only standard letters anyway most of the time, just with the name changed.
However, there should be an option in which you can request for them to send it in the mail. I know i obviously haven't been through college/uni applications yet but when i got accepted to my current school they asked on a form before interview how you want to be contacted.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#14 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 11:09 AM

I would be fine with an e-mail, but NOT a text msg. + a short msg wouldn't have work for our uni since they also send you acceptance exam results/ your ranking/ interview scores & etc.

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 06:13 PM

A text message seems kind of ridiculous, but an e-mail is fine. There's no reason to chop down more trees just so you can tell someone they got rejected.

I can imagine there might be problems if the system got infected and started spitting out acceptances/rejections by mistake, though. Or if someone hacked the e-mail account. They'd have to have a fool-proof system worked out so that stuff like that won't happen.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#16 (permalink)) Old
aloharocker Offline
writer
Average Joe

Name: Steffani

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 06:26 PM

I think they should keep the physical letters as long as possible. An email feels less real, at least in my opinion. You can easily ignore/fake/accidentally delete an email and it takes less effort to send it.

I liked receiving something tangible.

If you need someone to talk to, my PM box is always open.

I've been a member of TeenHelp on and off since I was 16.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 10:05 PM

I just thought of something else, some scholarships now only accept recommendation letters through e-mail.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Santeria Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jeremy

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 10:09 PM

the colleges that accepted me said 'congratulations, you've been accepted' etc in a small plain font on a portal online, but later sent big pretty packages in the mail. So i think its ok because u get your admission decision a couple weeks earlier

PM me, I'm bored

(#19 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 27th 2009, 10:58 PM

Well I just got told on the spot ... I'd say yeah a text or something with written confirmation letter, however having experience the tension waiting for a letter, horrible at the time, but it makes the moment all the more sweeter if you get in.. Just WAITING for the postman :L

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Should Colleges Send Digital Acceptance Verdicts? - February 28th 2009, 02:47 AM

Text messaging, I don't think is appropriate. It's a university you're applying to, something that can change and pave your future, and you get it sent by a casual little text message, the same way your random friends text you? Seems rather diluted to me.

I liked getting the big packages in paper from the university. It's the sight of it, something that an email cannot do.

As for softening the messages, no, that the university shouldn't do. "Decision: deny" is all that is needed. If the person gets offended or depressed, it shows they're rather weak and in need to grow some skin and a backbone. To me, it's disgusting. You sugarcoat it because why, the people cant handle the word "deny" or a straight-forward blunt answer? I'd much rather read the straight-forward blunt answer rather than sift through the sugar-coated stuff. If the person gets hurt or depressed or whatever, too bad. That's their problem, not the university's. Therapists and doctors are there for a reason.

I'll settle for an email or a nice package by mail, as the package by mail lets me see what else the university has to offer. If they sugarcoat it, then so be it. I don't get all pissed off if they sugarcoat it but rather I laugh, thinking about how many other people are going to see a rejection letter and be so sad. If you're that weak, then you deserve it.

Closed Thread