TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
CanadaCraig's Avatar
 
Age: 56
Gender: Male

Posts: 854
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - February 28th 2009, 08:13 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're all fine and dandy.

Apparently - the disabled host of a children's TV show [In the U.K.] is 'scaring children' - according to some parents.

Click on link below to read the story.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ost/index.html

I had to laugh when I read the following...

"...... a father lamented [i.e. 'regretted strongly'] that Burnell [The disabled host] being on the show forced him to have conversations with his child about disabilities."

That poor man!! lol

What do YOU think about this? Should disabled people be banned from hosting children's TV shows?

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandaloo Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Pandaloo's Avatar
 
Age: 24
Gender: Other

Posts: 258
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - February 28th 2009, 09:39 AM

I read about this in the newspaper, and my niece was one of the children who watched it. She is scared and runs behind the chair when its on.

I think its horrible to ban disabled people from being TV show hosts, children will grow up learning that disabled people are just as normal as any other person. And sure at first they will be curious and confused by it, but in the end, they just have to learn about disabilities.

Haha, ironic, i was forced to sit through an episode of 'The Bear in the Big Blue House' which was about disabilities.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while
********
 
*Faith*'s Avatar
 
Name: Faith
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 25
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - February 28th 2009, 11:12 AM

That's just idiotic, won't it teach kids to respect other people despite their differences? Its the same with having them in the same class with other kids in school.


You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough
*********
 
Hyper Sonic's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 2,374
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - February 28th 2009, 01:08 PM

I do not think she will cause much 'arm

now that lame pun is out of the way: I don't think they should be banned but sometimes kids just are not ready for things. From what I understand this was on cbeebies which is a channel for pre-schoolers thus making Faith's point moot since the target audience is not in school.

Sometimes kids just aren't ready for the real world, I mean would you teach your toddler the full story about sex, drugs or alcohol? I should hope not and do not forget all of these occur naturally in life, just like disability.

However, I do not think they should be banned, just changed if they are scaring a significant number of children
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - February 28th 2009, 08:44 PM

I don't think they are banned. I personally think that this is a good thing for children. They are going to have to learn to accept people with differences. My father was in an accident when he was 16 years old and as a result of that, he only has one leg. He has an artificial leg that he wears, but when relaxing at home he doesn't always have that on. I grew used to him being on crutches. It taught me a lot about the world and if he wanted to be on TV, then I don't see why his lack of a limb should stop it. Children will have to get used to it eventually. If they are afraid of the woman because she doesn't have a hand, then someone needs to explain to them about how everyone is different so they can accept that she is how she is and so she can move on.

I also think this is more of a debate, so it probably should be moved there mods. :-)


--A
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while
********
 
Perplexity's Avatar
 
Name: Shaz
Gender: Female
Location: London

Posts: 1,951
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - February 28th 2009, 08:52 PM

I've moved this thread to Current Events and Debates as I feel it fits more in that forum.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - February 28th 2009, 08:56 PM

Parents should let there kids watch her there's no reason for being against disabled people.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - February 28th 2009, 09:46 PM

Good for the host! Differently abled people shouldn't be shoved out of the public eye because others are "uncomfortable" or (gasp!) forced to actually raise their children to understand differences.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 1st 2009, 03:21 AM

It shouldn't be banned. If the parents cannot handle it, then they need to sort themselves out. The world isn't all a bunch of happy bunnies and rainbows, and parents, regardless of who they are, should let their kids know that. The host is doing something good, the complaining parents I'm assuming are going with the idea that disability is not "normal". Well, time for some little facts: nobody, not even this parents are completely normal. Everyone in some way is abnormal, although in many cases it isn't physically seen. Humans are all mutants, whether it is a visible mutation is a different story but all humans are, to some degree, abnormal. This seems to be ban the more physically abnormal because it's too harsh to see the real world. Usually I'd reserve this phrase for younger people, but this needs to be said to the parents: grow up. The world has harsh issues, isolating your kid from that will do no good.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 12:18 AM

Are these parents afraid to expose their children to the facts of life, including the fact that disabilities happen? These kids need to know sooner or later. Stupid parents.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough
*********
 
Hyper Sonic's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 2,374
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 12:23 AM

Why not later? By everyone's logic here withholding sections of the real world from kids is wrong. However, by the same logic you'd have to tell kids all about rape, murder, drugs, prostitution. These things happen in the world
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Why not later? By everyone's logic here withholding sections of the real world from kids is wrong. However, by the same logic you'd have to tell kids all about rape, murder, drugs, prostitution. These things happen in the world
Just exactly how much "later"? A few months, years, 5 years? I don't think you should tell the kid about rape, murder, torture, etc... all in one go. Perhaps gradually you should tell them or if they ask or want to see it, then you show them. That seems fine to me, but not getting the mindset of shutting them out of it.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Why not later? By everyone's logic here withholding sections of the real world from kids is wrong. However, by the same logic you'd have to tell kids all about rape, murder, drugs, prostitution. These things happen in the world
Withholding knowledge from children about people they may well encounter is probably not the wisest.

In the same way we tell our children about "good touch" and "bad touch" (a sensitive and dark subject, but a situation they may find themselves in), we shouldn't keep them from understanding people with different abilities. It's likely they will encounter a peer with some sort of disability. Ignorance isn't bliss and there are age appropriate ways to teach children about sensitive subjects.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Pessimistic Panda's Avatar
 
Name: Jennifer
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Location: Three rivers Mi

Posts: 914
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 04:21 AM

i think it should be allowed honestly. people in this world are disabled all the time and we tend to stare i think it'd actually might bring a bit of acceptance to today's youth


You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus




  Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 06:08 AM

Well disability is inherently scary. It reminds us of our obvious mortality and nobody likes that. Personally I'd rather not see it and, while I'm perfectly good with disabled people, I still feel slightly uncomfortable with them. That having been said, I probably have more experience with disabled people than anyone here so not being taught about it as a child is certainly not the reason, in fact having it forced on me as a child I think has made me MORE uncomfortable around disabled people. For example children hate clowns, why? Because to them they're creepy and they're everywhere when growing up, the same with this disabled person, having her on TV will only be counter productive.

Maybe she should just host shows aimed at older children? I mean, as Russel Howard put it, "when I was under six I was more concerned with issues like why can I be tickled, but I can't tickle myself?" rather than issues that adults see as important.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
CanadaCraig's Avatar
 
Age: 56
Gender: Male

Posts: 854
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Why not later? By everyone's logic here withholding sections of the real world from kids is wrong. However, by the same logic you'd have to tell kids all about rape, murder, drugs, prostitution. These things happen in the world
Hi Hyper Sonic!!

I hope you're fine and dandy.

I honestly do NOT think that a lady with part of her arm missing is the same as rape, murder, drugs and prostitution. The difference being - that is who she IS whereas the examples you gave is what some people DO. What if some parents complained about a black host or an overweight host or a very old host - should those people be hidden away from kids?! Besides - that lady with half an arm missing might be sitting next to some kid on a bus someday or walk by them in a shopping mall - what then?

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Claire Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Claire's Avatar
 
Name: Claire
Gender: Female
Location: Wales

Posts: 373
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 11:42 AM

I think the earlier a child gets introduced to disabilities, the more normal it will seem to them and disabled children will then be picked on less at school . If any adults have a problem with the disabled presenter, then thats THEIR problem for being so shallow and not the presenters. Good for her


Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though its breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, youll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
Youll see the sun come shining through for you
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
in fact having it forced on me as a child I think has made me MORE uncomfortable around disabled people. For example children hate clowns, why? Because to them they're creepy and they're everywhere when growing up, the same with this disabled person, having her on TV will only be counter productive.
By this logic I should be extremely uncomfortable around black people. And differently abled people, including people in wheelchairs. As well as people with illnesses like diabetes. Let's not forget Jews, Muslims, and the elderly. All of these people are different than me and I was exposed to them, quite frequently, at a very young age.

I don't, however, find the presence of any of them uncomfortable. I learned about our differences at a young age and learned that our differences (while important and something to be embraced) are not bad things.

There is nothing inherently wrong with disabled people. Of course you know that. But to then go and say they should be kept off of children's programs seems to be what is actually counter-productive.

Clowns are scary because they aren't "human", by the way. Their faces don't look like ours. The recognizable features of the human face are covered--masked--and the often sinister portrayal of clowns doesn't help. This woman, missing part of an arm, still has a human face. She is still recognizable as a person "just like them."

ETA: If these differences aren't an issue, for children, isn't that better? I mean, if they don't understand that NOT accepting these people is an option, well, wouldn't you prefer that? Of course I'm all for free thought. But I just don't see how exposing children to a disabled woman is bad. They're learning to accept difference before they even know that some people don't.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough
*********
 
Hyper Sonic's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 2,374
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
Withholding knowledge from children about people they may well encounter is probably not the wisest.
We still do, it's called religion and is practised worldwide
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
We still do, it's called religion and is practised worldwide
One instance of a behavior doesn't justify another similar behavior.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
By this logic I should be extremely uncomfortable around black people. And differently abled people, including people in wheelchairs. As well as people with illnesses like diabetes. Let's not forget Jews, Muslims, and the elderly. All of these people are different than me and I was exposed to them, quite frequently, at a very young age.
Black people aren't scary. Diabetes and religion isn't noticable on the surface. They are incomparable. Also, many people do find the extremely elderly scary for the same reason, they are a reminder of our ever present mortality. Having one arm missing and having a withered stump IS scary, or at the very least unpleasant to look at.

Quote:
I don't, however, find the presence of any of them uncomfortable. I learned about our differences at a young age and learned that our differences (while important and something to be embraced) are not bad things.
Surely by definition being disabled is a bad thing?
Though I'm sure that's not what you meant. You don't find it uncomfortable to be around them, I do. Individual difference, though maybe if you had been exposed to them more as a child rather than just taught the theoretical differences you might be different.

Quote:
There is nothing inherently wrong with disabled people. Of course you know that. But to then go and say they should be kept off of children's programs seems to be what is actually counter-productive.
I never said they were inherently bad, just inherently scary. Why do you think they were treated with such loathing and fear in all ages before our more enlightened era? Logic and tolerance tells me that I shouldn't be uncomfortable but gut instinct tells me I should.

Quote:
Clowns are scary because they aren't "human", by the way. Their faces don't look like ours. The recognizable features of the human face are covered--masked--and the often sinister portrayal of clowns doesn't help. This woman, missing part of an arm, still has a human face. She is still recognizable as a person "just like them."
But clowns are humans. They're just humans with the characteristics of their face distorted and overexagerted via make-up. They do look like us, just twisted versions of us. Which incidently is what disabilities are, twisted and broken human beings.

Quote:
ETA: If these differences aren't an issue, for children, isn't that better? I mean, if they don't understand that NOT accepting these people is an option, well, wouldn't you prefer that? Of course I'm all for free thought. But I just don't see how exposing children to a disabled woman is bad. They're learning to accept difference before they even know that some people don't.
ETA? Estimated Time Of Arrival? I'm mildly confused.

But the article, along with a few posters in this thread, does say that children are scared by her. How is scaring the children going to instill tolerance? It wont. Leave it until they're old enough to understand.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Black people aren't scary. Diabetes and religion isn't noticable on the surface. They are incomparable. Also, many people do find the extremely elderly scary for the same reason, they are a reminder of our ever present mortality. Having one arm missing and having a withered stump IS scary, or at the very least unpleasant to look at.
YOU don't think black people are scary. Some people may. Tell a white child who has never seen any person who was not white that black people aren't scary. It would be utterly different to them. Also, diabetes is noticeable the moment someone has to test their blood sugar or take a shot. Also, a child isn't afraid of the elderly OR the disabled because they are concerned about their mortality. It is because they look different than them. They aren't afraid of differntly colored people because they are raised with them, fully understanding (however unwillingly) that being different colors is OK.

I don't find missing arms scary or unpleasant, by the way. Individual differences.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Surely by definition being disabled is a bad thing?
Though I'm sure that's not what you meant. You don't find it uncomfortable to be around them, I do. Individual difference, though maybe if you had been exposed to them more as a child rather than just taught the theoretical differences you might be different.
I was exposed to differently abled people a lot in my childhood. I was raised, in part, by my grandparents. My grandfather has many friends who have been in war--missing limbs, etc. I know a lot of people in wheelchairs, as well. Being so near these kinds of disabilities encourage ME to be comfortable with them. I knew it was OK for a person to be without a limb, fingers, toes, whatever. I knew they were different but also learned that they were capable. This is why I most often use the phrase "differently abled" instead of "disabled." To me disabled can imply an entire inability, which isn't often the case.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I never said they were inherently bad, just inherently scary. Why do you think they were treated with such loathing and fear in all ages before our more enlightened era?
I personally do not think there is anything inherently scary about a person with missing limbs, and I attribute that to my childhood being so affected by people with these disabilities, as well as my parent's raising of me. I think they were treated so poorly for the same reasons many people were. They're different. People are so damn afraid of different that they refuse to accept that difference is okay. That doesn't make it alright, though. That isn't reason to hide people with differences away from the rest of society.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
But clowns are humans. They're just humans with the characteristics of their face distorted and overexagerted via make-up. They do look like us, just twisted versions of us. Which incidently is what disabilities are, twisted and broken human beings.
Clowns are humans, but a young child's ability to identify a masked person as a human is different than your or my ability to do so. We know that under the makeup is a "normal" human. A child sees the makeup and may be entirely unable to make the connection that their face is covered, while you or I can quite easily assume and understand that their face doesn't look like the makeup makes it look.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
ETA? Estimated Time Of Arrival?

But the article, along with a few posters in this thread, does say that children are scared by her. How is scaring the children going to instill tolerance? It wont. Leave it until they're old enough to understand.
ETA = Edit to add.

If the children are scared, then yes, it's a problem. But it is not the woman's problem. Her inability to grow an arm/hand doesn't excuse those trying to get her off the program. If the children are scared, their parents can choose a different program for them to watch. That, or they can explain to the child what disabilities are.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
YOU don't think black people are scary. Some people may. Tell a white child who has never seen any person who was not white that black people aren't scary. It would be utterly different to them.
I seem to remember when Europeans first met black people they were intrigued not scared.

Quote:
Also, diabetes is noticeable the moment someone has to test their blood sugar or take a shot.
Which a child doesn't have to see unless the adult shoved it in their face that they're doing so.

Quote:
Also, a child isn't afraid of the elderly OR the disabled because they are concerned about their mortality. It is because they look different than them.
Well the elderly thing is generally because they smell funny, but I take your point.
Why should children be exposed to (to them anyway) frightening differences just because adults think it important? They'll learn soon enough anyway, let them have their childhood.

Quote:
They aren't afraid of differntly colored people because they are raised with them, fully understanding (however unwillingly) that being different colors is OK
I don't think that anyone over a certain age is actively afraid of disabled people anyway. It's just a gut sense of being uncomfortable around them.

Quote:
I don't find missing arms scary or unpleasant, by the way. Individual differences.
How are missing arms NOT unpleasant? It's certainly not aesthetically nice, it's not nice in the sense it's useful.

Quote:
I was exposed to differently abled people a lot in my childhood. I was raised, in part, by my grandparents. My grandfather has many friends who have been in war--missing limbs, etc. I know a lot of people in wheelchairs, as well. Being so near these kinds of disabilities encourage ME to be comfortable with them. I knew it was OK for a person to be without a limb, fingers, toes, whatever. I knew they were different but also learned that they were capable. This is why I most often use the phrase "differently abled" instead of "disabled." To me disabled can imply an entire inability, which isn't often the case.
Though, I've been brought up around disabled people my entire life, my brother is disabled and I've spent a lot of my time helping him and other children out at his "special" school. I still don't feel comfortable with them, I don't think it's anything to do with exposing children to them at a young age and teaching them that it's ok. I think it's more down to the individual. Most people I know don't feel altogether comfortable around disabled or elderly people either and it's become more accentuated by attempts to intergrate them into regular every day life.

Quote:
I personally do not think there is anything inherently scary about a person with missing limbs, and I attribute that to my childhood being so affected by people with these disabilities, as well as my parent's raising of me. I think they were treated so poorly for the same reasons many people were. They're different. People are so damn afraid of different that they refuse to accept that difference is okay. That doesn't make it alright, though. That isn't reason to hide people with differences away from the rest of society.
I'm not saying that we should hide people with differences away, only that they shouldn't be presenting children's TV shows. It's similar to when they introduced that charachter with HIV into Sesame Street, it's partially because they want misguidedly to teach children about concepts they can't possibly understand and secondly for the publicity. Yay for exploiting differences. Anyway, people shouldn't be focusing on differences, they should be focusing on similarities and teaching kids to notice the differences instead of similarities is not the way to go.

Quote:
Clowns are humans, but a young child's ability to identify a masked person as a human is different than your or my ability to do so. We know that under the makeup is a "normal" human. A child sees the makeup and may be entirely unable to make the connection that their face is covered, while you or I can quite easily assume and understand that their face doesn't look like the makeup makes it look.
Children's ability to see beyond a physical deformity is different that yours or mine as well. Especially with facial deformity (though it's not the case here), that is similar to a clown having something wrong with the face, it is difficult for a child to equate the deformed person with a regular human being.

Parents will logically explain to kids that the clown is a human too, yet the kids wont understand and be frightened, this is a similar case.

Quote:
ETA = Edit to add.

If the children are scared, then yes, it's a problem. But it is not the woman's problem. Her inability to grow an arm/hand doesn't excuse those trying to get her off the program. If the children are scared, their parents can choose a different program for them to watch. That, or they can explain to the child what disabilities are.
Of course it's her problem if the children are scared. Her job is to provide a fun and enjoyable program for the children to watch, if she can't do that due to physical attributes or anything else, regardless whether it's her fault or not, then she shouldn't be doing that job. Explaining what a disability is to the children wont change anything.

Last edited by Jack; March 2nd 2009 at 01:06 PM.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 01:39 PM

Oh man, okay. I'm way too tired for this. I haven't slept. Here goes... it's kind of watered down, I think, I can't focus. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Which a child doesn't have to see unless the adult shoved it in their face that they're doing so.
Diabetics can't always hide their supplies and stuff. And shouldn't have to. If a diabetic has a high blood sugar and is at risk of ending up in the hospital, I don't care who is around, I want them to pull out the damn needle and take some insulin.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Well the elderly thing is generally because they smell funny, but I take your point.
Why should children be exposed to (to them anyway) frightening differences just because adults think it important? They'll learn soon enough anyway, let them have their childhood.
By the way, I'd like to point out: This article does not say, anywhere I could find, that the kids are scared of her. It's the parent's complaining, because they're having to actually parent their children.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I don't think that anyone over a certain age is actively afraid of disabled people anyway. It's just a gut sense of being uncomfortable around them.

How are missing arms NOT unpleasant? It's certainly not aesthetically nice, it's not nice in the sense it's useful.
I simply am not bothered by it. I don't find it aesthetically pleasing nor displeasing. The person is as they are and I'm not phased by it? You're just going to have to accept that I'm capable of being unaffected by physical differences in such a way.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Most people I know don't feel altogether comfortable around disabled or elderly people either and it's become more accentuated by attempts to intergrate them into regular every day life.
That's the individuals problem. I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no acceptable reason not to integrate differently abled people into everyday life. It shouldn't even be a matter of interegration. There shouldn't even be a question. o.o

Let's just segregate schools again because white supremacists feel uncomfortable with their children going to school with black kids. No? Make them put their children in private schools or homeschool? But why, Jack? They're uncomfortable with it. We must appease them.

One of my best friends back a uni is disabled. I have never felt an ounce of discomfort around him. He's an amazing, gifted individual and his disability is part of what makes him him. Just as he is, I love him, and his comfort in his own skin has taught me so, so much.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I'm not saying that we should hide people with differences away, only that they shouldn't be presenting children's TV shows. It's similar to when they introduced that charachter with HIV into Sesame Street, it's partially because they want misguidedly to teach children about concepts they can't possibly understand and secondly for the publicity. Yay for exploiting differences. Anyway, people shouldn't be focusing on differences, they should be focusing on similarities and teaching kids to notice the differences instead of similarities is not the way to go.
Okay, so the black kids can start going to school with the other kids in, hmm... 6th grade, I think. They should be old enough, by then, to mix and mingle. By then they should be aware of different skin colors and everything. Seriously? What, can a child without a hand not go to school because the kids will stare? Because they'll go home, with questions? No.

By the way, no, we shouldn't discourage the noticing and understanding of differences. Differences should be embrace and celebrated. I am not color blind. I'm white and other people aren't and that's beautiful, not shameful. I can learn things from that. And I intend to. The same goes for other differences. Some people don't have arms. I do. And there's nothing ugly or bad about that. We can learn so much from different people--the ability to accept that and be willing to embrace the knowledge they have is such a wonderful thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Children's ability to see beyond a physical deformity is different that yours or mine as well. Especially with facial deformity (though it's not the case here), that is similar to a clown having something wrong with the face, it is difficult for a child to equate the deformed person with a regular human being.
The human face is one of the most recognizible things in the world. So regcognizible that when you see two dots and a half cirlce you think "FACE!" Just like that.

Children learn by "monkey see, monkey do." If the people around them are not disgusted by a missing limb, neither will they be. When a child looks at a person, they look at their head. That's how they determine "boy" and "girl." Girls have long hair, boys short. That's why a kid may ask a girl with short hair if they're a boy or a girl. Later, children begin to look at the rest of the body to identify a person. Chest and etc. They may stare at a physical difference, but the face is the first thing most people notice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Of course it's her problem if the children are scared. Her job is to provide a fun and enjoyable program for the children to watch, if she can't do that due to physical attributes or anything else, regardless whether it's her fault or not, then she shouldn't be doing that job. Explaining what a disability is to the children wont change anything.
How is a disability her problem? It is not her inherent duty to educate you, or anyone else, about her disability. It is not her job to be concerned with what other people think of her. Just as it is not my duty to educate people on being a lesbian. If they don't understand and don't want to, it sucks for them.

What does an arm have to do with fun, anyways? Why is her physical form so much more important than her personality? She was hired for a reason, and if she is qualified to do her job then why take that away from her?



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while
********
 
ThrashAttack's Avatar
 
Name: Will
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Edge of Oblivion

Posts: 1,375
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 10th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 05:39 PM

lets just say it is anouther case of 'pc' that the uk is very famouse for....
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Lozzaa's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female

Posts: 590
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
I do not think she will cause much 'arm

now that lame pun is out of the way: I don't think they should be banned but sometimes kids just are not ready for things. From what I understand this was on cbeebies which is a channel for pre-schoolers thus making Faith's point moot since the target audience is not in school.

Sometimes kids just aren't ready for the real world, I mean would you teach your toddler the full story about sex, drugs or alcohol? I should hope not and do not forget all of these occur naturally in life, just like disability.

However, I do not think they should be banned, just changed if they are scaring a significant number of children
Sorry I have to disagree with you there.

What's the difference to a toddler seing someone disabled on tv, to seeing someone in real life? If you want to sheild these youngsters from it, does that mean i'd have to avert my brother everytime a pram passed?

I think Disabled people have as much as a right to be on tv, as non-disabled. Toddlers or not. I dont particularly care. After all, we're trying to stop predjudice and this will is not helping.

I bet nobodys thought from there point of view. What about if you were disabled and told you couldnt be on tv, due to something no fault of your own. Its degrading isn't it. Sorry, I think kids should know from a VERY young age, that its not wrong. Maybe we can get it into this stupid societys head that discrimination is wrong.
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough
*********
 
Hyper Sonic's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 2,374
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkiller7 View Post
lets just say it is anouther case of 'pc' that the uk is very famouse for....
Not really. It's what the tabloids want us to believe
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 07:15 PM

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
Diabetics can't always hide their supplies and stuff. And shouldn't have to. If a diabetic has a high blood sugar and is at risk of ending up in the hospital, I don't care who is around, I want them to pull out the damn needle and take some insulin.
As would I. They just wouldn't have a diabetic stabbing themself with a needle on childrens TV show.

Quote:
By the way, I'd like to point out: This article does not say, anywhere I could find, that the kids are scared of her. It's the parent's complaining, because they're having to actually parent their children.
But several other articles do, sorry I was mixing up that one with some I read on google. Well, to be more precise they say the parents are afraid it might cause their children to have nightmares. Which I can completely understand, I had nightmares about The Moomins when I was little let alone a presenter with a withered stump.

Quote:
I simply am not bothered by it. I don't find it aesthetically pleasing nor displeasing. The person is as they are and I'm not phased by it? You're just going to have to accept that I'm capable of being unaffected by physical differences in such a way.
I do accept that. What I don't accept is that everyone is as enlightened as you, or would become so by having it shown on a TV show.

Quote:
That's the individuals problem. I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no acceptable reason not to integrate differently abled people into everyday life. It shouldn't even be a matter of interegration. There shouldn't even be a question. o.o
No, there isn't. However, ham fisted attempts should be a question. My main problem with this is not that it's forcing children to ask questions about disability but that it's done in an incredibly crude and possibly counter productive manner.

Quote:
Let's just segregate schools again because white supremacists feel uncomfortable with their children going to school with black kids. No? Make them put their children in private schools or homeschool? But why, Jack? They're uncomfortable with it. We must appease them.
I never mentioned schools, this is about TV shows with unecessary content.

Quote:
One of my best friends back a uni is disabled. I have never felt an ounce of discomfort around him. He's an amazing, gifted individual and his disability is part of what makes him him. Just as he is, I love him, and his comfort in his own skin has taught me so, so much.
Good for him, however a lot of disabled people are not like that. Many are just dribbling husks of humans and perform acts, throguh no fault of their own, which are percieved as disgusting.

Quote:
Okay, so the black kids can start going to school with the other kids in, hmm... 6th grade, I think. They should be old enough, by then, to mix and mingle. By then they should be aware of different skin colors and everything. Seriously? What, can a child without a hand not go to school because the kids will stare? Because they'll go home, with questions? No.
That's a totally different issue. I see no problem with kids asking questions, but I do see a problem with a TV show deliberately forcing these issues onto parents with potentially harmful effects on children.

Quote:
By the way, no, we shouldn't discourage the noticing and understanding of differences. Differences should be embrace and celebrated. I am not color blind. I'm white and other people aren't and that's beautiful, not shameful. I can learn things from that. And I intend to. The same goes for other differences. Some people don't have arms. I do. And there's nothing ugly or bad about that. We can learn so much from different people--the ability to accept that and be willing to embrace the knowledge they have is such a wonderful thing.
Differences should be understood but it's only on focusing on the similarities that we can be a productive and happy society. Too much emphasis on differences drive people apart, similarities bring people together. You don't choose to be around people different from you, you choose to be around people similar to you, as the old saying goes "birds of a feather flock together". That's how you integrate people, you make them WANT the other persons company, you don't force it on them.

Quote:
The human face is one of the most recognizible things in the world. So regcognizible that when you see two dots and a half cirlce you think "FACE!" Just like that.
If that is true then you've defeated your earlier argument against my clown analogy. As you said that the reason children are afraid of clowns is because they can't equate their features to a human face, I then countered by saying in that case they may have the same, if not more, trouble with facial deformity. Clowns have two eyes and a mouth, and in approximately the right places which a person with a facial deformity may not have, therefore according to your arguement clowns should be less scary than disabled people.

Quote:
Children learn by "monkey see, monkey do." If the people around them are not disgusted by a missing limb, neither will they be. When a child looks at a person, they look at their head. That's how they determine "boy" and "girl." Girls have long hair, boys short. That's why a kid may ask a girl with short hair if they're a boy or a girl. Later, children begin to look at the rest of the body to identify a person. Chest and etc. They may stare at a physical difference, but the face is the first thing most people notice.
Well how children learn is still a hotly debated subject, some say children learn by viewing others (Bandura, Skinner) and some say that children have innate abilities to do things such as talk (Chomsky) and many other views exist. So I don't think either of us can argue from the point of children learn like this or children learn like that.

They probably actually ask the girl whether they're a boy or a girl due to the fact that young children aged around 5 have problems with gender identity and gender roles and are still easily confused rather than due to the head shape.

Quote:
How is a disability her problem? It is not her inherent duty to educate you, or anyone else, about her disability. It is not her job to be concerned with what other people think of her. Just as it is not my duty to educate people on being a lesbian. If they don't understand and don't want to, it sucks for them.
How is it anyone's but her problem? If her disability prevents her from doing her job then she shouldn't be doing it. In the same way I wouldn't hire an olympic sprinter with one leg I wouldn't hire a childrens TV host who scares children.

Quote:
What does an arm have to do with fun, anyways? Why is her physical form so much more important than her personality? She was hired for a reason, and if she is qualified to do her job then why take that away from her?
Because it's not fun if it's scary, and I don't mean the fun rollercoaster type scary either. Her physical form is more important than her personality if BOTH are necessary to do the job to the best it can possibly be performed. Others are just as qualified as her to do the job, the makers are probably selecting her for the controversy and to be PC rather than out of any "best woman for the job" mentality, though maybe I'm being uncharitable and cynical but it's not unprecedented.

Last edited by Jack; March 2nd 2009 at 07:36 PM.
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
.commers
Average Joe
***
 
theycallmespitfire's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Age: 30
Gender: GenderQueer
Location: WestMidlands

Posts: 104
Blog Entries: 14
Join Date: February 26th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 07:32 PM

Anyone who wants to ban her are a moron,becasue she has one arm it makes her scary?what about all these big blue and different coloured creatures with odd names on tv?
dont they scare people?obviously not,people will make a fuss and include a child if it helps to get thier idiotic view across.

dose a child no question a different coloured person,gay people,things they dont understand yet?yes yes they do and its the same for disabled people.
Banning her would just be as bad as banning someone of a different race or gende rits stupid and foolish if they do so.
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough
*********
 
Hyper Sonic's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 2,374
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmespitfire View Post
Anyone who wants to ban her are a moron
Personal insults destroy a point faster than anything else. And although I can't put it as well as Jack does I agree on all his points.

This is the BBC trying to curry favour with the demented press than select the right person for the job
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
[
How is it anyone's but her problem? If her disability prevents her from doing her job then she shouldn't be doing it. In the same way I wouldn't hire an olympic sprinter with one leg I wouldn't hire a childrens TV host who scares children.
Are you saying that people with one leg can't run? Well, I certainly think this guy can. That guy has no legs and I bet he could run far faster than I can. Just because you only have one leg doesn't mean that you can't run fast. Just because you only have one arm doesn't mean that you can't be a TV host. If the children don't like her, who is tying them down and forcing them to watch her?


--A
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough
*********
 
Hyper Sonic's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 2,374
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Are you saying that people with one leg can't run? Well, I certainly think this guy can. That guy has no legs and I bet he could run far faster than I can. Just because you only have one leg doesn't mean that you can't run fast. Just because you only have one arm doesn't mean that you can't be a TV host. If the children don't like her, who is tying them down and forcing them to watch her?
I think that was just an example, like this one: would you hire an ex-terrorist who's fought against your country into the CIA or would you hire someone with no arms to do heavy lifting
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Are you saying that people with one leg can't run? Well, I certainly think this guy can. That guy has no legs and I bet he could run far faster than I can. Just because you only have one leg doesn't mean that you can't run fast. Just because you only have one arm doesn't mean that you can't be a TV host. If the children don't like her, who is tying them down and forcing them to watch her?
He has legs... prosthetic ones. Hey, she can use a prosthetic arm in order to not scare the children, great idea. I was just using it as an incidental example.

I never said just because you have one arm you can't be a TV host, you just shouldn't be a children's TV host.

And I would think parents will be forcing their kids to watch it in order to teach them "tolerance". Because seeing a disabled person on TV will totally make you tolerant.
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 08:03 PM

personally, the guy in that picture would have scared me more than the girl
and i think its good that they have someone "different" hosting because it shows tolerance and the different types of people faced in the real world
so what if some are scared? i was terrified of barney, but that doesn't mean they cancelled him



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Lozzaa's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female

Posts: 590
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
He has legs... prosthetic ones. Hey, she can use a prosthetic arm in order to not scare the children, great idea. I was just using it as an incidental example.

I never said just because you have one arm you can't be a TV host, you just shouldn't be a children's TV host.

And I would think parents will be forcing their kids to watch it in order to teach them "tolerance". Because seeing a disabled person on TV will totally make you tolerant.

Why should she hide her disability... its like my brother saying "I'm in a wheelchair lets hide it" wtf?

No it wont make them tolerent, but it will make people with disabilities more accepted in society
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough
*********
 
Hyper Sonic's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 2,374
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzaa View Post
Why should she hide her disability... its like my brother saying "I'm in a wheelchair lets hide it" wtf?

No it wont make them tolerent, but it will make people with disabilities more accepted in society
She should hide is because it is preventing her doing her job to the best of her ability.
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzaa View Post
Why should she hide her disability... its like my brother saying "I'm in a wheelchair lets hide it" wtf?
I was being sarcastic. Plus, you can't exactly hide a wheelchair.

Quote:
No it wont make them tolerent, but it will make people with disabilities more accepted in society
I don't see how. I can't imagine having children being scared by something they're incapable of understanding will help them be more accepting.

Last edited by Jack; March 2nd 2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Typo, god I'm terrible at typing today.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
molliegym's Avatar
 
Name: Molly
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: NJ

Posts: 252
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
She should hide is because it is preventing her doing her job to the best of her ability.
How does it prevent her from doing her job to the best of her ability? She's missing part of an arm. She doesn't have an open wound. She doesn't have a speech impediment. I don't see what's wrong.


[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be


My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days


Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.


  Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough
*********
 
Hyper Sonic's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 2,374
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliegym View Post
How does it prevent her from doing her job to the best of her ability? She's missing part of an arm. She doesn't have an open wound. She doesn't have a speech impediment. I don't see what's wrong.
She's giving the children nightmares, which is not doing the job to the best of your ability
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,301
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Disabled Host of Children's Show is 'Scaring Children' say some parents - March 2nd 2009, 08:24 PM

It's kind of bad that parents were complaining about it, it's like placing them selves above the presenter. Though it may be scary at first, surely it would seem less scary after a while? I mean, this is something they need to get used to, you don't get druggie toddlers that sleep around, but you do get toddlers with disability's...
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
caring, children, disabled, host, parents, show

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.