TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - February 28th 2009, 09:12 PM

http://news.aol.com/article/deputy-v...en-girl/362747

A King County sheriff's deputy slams a 15-year-old girl the floor of a jail cell, strikes her and pulls her hair in violence captured on videotape.
Prosecutors released the surveillance video in Friday in the assault case against Deputy Paul Schene, who is accused of using excessive force on the girl.

The footage shows the attack beginning after the girl enters the cell at suburban SeaTac City Hall and kicks off one of her shoes toward the deputy.
Schene, 31, pleaded not guilty to fourth-degree assault in Superior Court on Thursday.
The incident last November began after the girl was brought in for an auto theft investigation, according to court documents.
"We believe this case is beyond just police misconduct, it's criminal misconduct," King County Prosecutor Daniel Satterberg said. "This is clearly excessive force."
Satterberg added the case is uncommon because cameras captured the entire incident.
Schene was investigated previously for shooting two people killing one in the line of duty in 2002 and 2006. Both times his actions were found to be justified, said Ian Goodhew, prosecutor's deputy chief of staff.
Calls by The Associated Press to Schene's lawyer Anne Bremner were not immediately returned Friday. Bremner, however, released a statement to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in which she said the video does not tell the whole story. Bremner had asked Judge Catherine Shaffer to not release the video to the media.

"As we argued to the judge, it will inflame public opinion and will severely impact the deputy's right to a fair trial," Bremner said.
In the video, a deputy kicks the girl, pushing her back toward the wall. The deputy then strongly backs the girl against the wall, and slams her to the floor by grabbing her hair. A second deputy enters the holding cell, while the first deputy holds the girl face down to the floor. The first deputy appears to hit the girl with his hands. The girl is then lifted up and led out of the cell while the first deputy holds her hair.
The second officer shown in the video was a trainee at the time and is not under investigation, Goodhew said.
According to court documents, the girl complained of breathing problems after the incident and medics were called to check her. A short time later, she was taken to a youth detention center and booked for investigation of auto theft and third-degree assault, the latter accusation dealing with her conduct toward the deputy. The girl has pleaded not guilty to taking a motor vehicle without permission, Goodhew said Friday, adding she was never formally charged with assault.
Schene told investigators through an e-mail conversation with his lawyer that once he was assaulted by the girl kicking her shoe at him, he entered the cell to "prevent another assault," according to court documents. Schene also said that the girl failed to comply with instructions in the holding area.
Prosecutors said Schene did not explain why he struck the girl after he had her in a holding position on the floor.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - February 28th 2009, 09:43 PM

Some people should not be members of law enforcement forces. If he's found guilty I hope he has to quit his job. That, or be some kind of resource officer.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Turquoise Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - February 28th 2009, 09:46 PM

I agree completely. Honestly, if you can't even explain yourself after committing this sort of act, then you hardly deserve to be a person, much less a law enforcement officer. Troubled girl or any day kid, this is so inappropriate.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - February 28th 2009, 09:46 PM

I hope he will be sent to jail.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - March 1st 2009, 05:04 PM

Well, after watching the video, it's hard to give a call, as we don't know what happened prior to the video. She could have been a real pain in the ass, and then kicked the shoe, which could be considered assault on an officer, and so the officer went to arrest her for that (even though she's already in a holding cell, maybe charge her on that). The only thing that seemed slightly "excessive" is the few hits but the rest seems fine. It wasn't a lot of punches nor was there a lot of damage (from what I could tell). However, due to the wretched media, I'm sure that will favour the girl.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - March 1st 2009, 07:04 PM

Some would look at it as Male guard beats Female inmate.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - March 1st 2009, 07:13 PM

I can see both sides of the argument...
but the girl is only fifteen, and I would say that the officer used excessive force on the girl.
I mean he could have controlled her without being quite so violent... If you catch my drift?

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - March 1st 2009, 07:57 PM

Even if she kicked her shoe at the officer, it's still excessive use of force, because there's no reason why he should continue to strike her while she's immobilized on the floor. I hope he's fired, loses his job, and maybe spends a couple of months in jail.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - March 1st 2009, 10:36 PM

Oh gosh that's awful. If he's proven guilty, he should go to jail or lose his job at least. Some police offers seem to think that they can just do what they want.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - March 2nd 2009, 12:33 AM

She shouldn't have got smart with him by kicking the shoe, but yeah that was far too much he just beat the shit out of her basically lol. Plus it said he shot 2 people before and that was questioned too he prob takes bribes too aha.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Video Shows Deputy Punching Teen Girl - March 2nd 2009, 01:22 AM

Over a shoe? Someone needs anger management. Seriously... Why didn't he just close up the cell and leave her alone for a bit? Or subdue her in a less brutal way? I know that there are very few 15yr old girls, or guys for that matter, that can stand up to a 31yr old police officer, he didn't need to beat her senseless.

He deserves to be strongly reprimanded for this, hopefully loses his job.

~Cody

Normal User

Closed Thread