TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
anishift Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Anissa

Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 03:37 AM

"Britain could become the first European country to force cigarette manufacturers to remove all logos, names and colors from packages."

Basically, the boxes would be plain white. The only "embellishments" would be the health warnings on the boxes. The idea is to alienate youth by making the boxes less aesthetically appealing.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/video/science-...ettes-24466407

So -- what does everyone think?
  Send a message via AIM to anishift Send a message via MSN to anishift  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 04:26 AM

How the FUCK are you gonna know what kind of cigarette you are buying?

Dumbest idea I have ever heard, no one starts smoking because they think the box looks cool.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 04:27 AM

I like the idea. That's how TV commercials advertise products or services, by creating something appealing to the senses. Using that method AGAINST a certain brand to promote the alienation of the youth from smoking cigarettes is a genius idea, in my opinion. I think it'll do some good -- maybe not significant, but it'll be another step in the right direction.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 04:47 AM

They were talking this up big in Australia last year when Rudd was in office but it seems to have gone nowhere. I think it's stupid. Nobody smokes because the packet 'looks cool'.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Strife Offline
Average Joe

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 05:20 AM

1. o.o how on earth would you know which cigarettes are which?
2. I've never heard anyone say they like how the packs look. I don't either.
3. the plain white boxes will just become the new "look tough with a cigarette pack" thing. if that's even a thing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 06:42 AM

Yes, TV ads do promote/advertise products with colourful and appealing appearances to encourage people to buy them, but how many people actually promote cigarettes these days, and how many TV ads have you seen that try and sell ciggies??? Well my answer to that is NONE!

There is so much negativity about smoking these days, but it still does not seem to stop people. Maybe it is preventing some people from starting, and that's great, but people who are already smoking aren't going to stop if they box is less colourful.
It's just like if cadburys chocolate wasn't a bright purple colour anymore, if it was a dull grey boring colour, I am not going to stop buying it. Sure, someone who has never had a chocolate bar may not buy a bar because the packaging looks lame, but people who already love the stuff, aren't going to stop. Also, I don't like the packaging on some brand of ice-cream and so I never really went for it, but after I'd had the stuff once, the company can do whatever it likes with the packaging and you can bet I will be buying the ice cream again!

My point here is, people who smoke will continue to smoke what-ever the packaging. Maybe this idea leads into the right direction to prevent people starting (even though there are already many negative connotations with smoking) but addicts aren't going to stop. So really I doubt it will do anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
Yes, TV ads do promote/advertise products with colourful and appealing appearances to encourage people to buy them, but how many people actually promote cigarettes these days, and how many TV ads have you seen that try and sell ciggies??? Well my answer to that is NONE!

I don't mean like that. I'm just saying that people enjoy looking at things that appeal to the senses. If you make something dull, then you get people to lose interest in looking at it. And if you get people to stop looking at it, then supposedly you might lower the chances of them smoking the cigarette. I know that the people who smoke cigarettes aren't going to be very affected by it, obviously. I'm not saying that this approach is going to work miracles...which is why I said that I think it'll do SOME good, but nothing significant.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 11:48 AM

Actually the plain packaging thing is just an idea at the moment they are not enforcing that yet.

What they are enforcing is cigarettes aren't allowed to be displayed any more an have to be kept under the counter. This means you would have to ask if they have them if you want any. This isn't a new thing either as many other countries do this already.

Quote:
Both steps have been under discussion for a number of years with legislation to ban the display of tobacco products put in place by the Labour government before it lost power last year. The coalition had initially said it wanted to review the plan before proceeding.

A number of countries, including Canada, Ireland, Iceland and Finland, have already introduced similar bans, while Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are moving in that direction.

But if England goes ahead with the plan to force tobacco companies to put cigarettes in plain, unbranded packets it will be the first country in Europe to take such a tough line. Australia is due to introduce the measure in 2012.

The plain packaging measure is only a proposal at this stage and will be put forward for consultation. Campaigners believe it will make purchasing cigarettes less appealing and enhance the effectiveness of health warnings
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12680815

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 01:02 PM

Waste of money if you ask me. If people want to smoke believe it or not they will still smoke no matter what the packet looks like.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I don't mean like that. I'm just saying that people enjoy looking at things that appeal to the senses. If you make something dull, then you get people to lose interest in looking at it. And if you get people to stop looking at it, then supposedly you might lower the chances of them smoking the cigarette. I know that the people who smoke cigarettes aren't going to be very affected by it, obviously. I'm not saying that this approach is going to work miracles...which is why I said that I think it'll do SOME good, but nothing significant.
I don't know what ciggarette packets look like in Britain but here's what they look like in Australia:

If anyone looks at that and finds it appealing they need to be 'taken care of' straight away.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 02:03 PM

I actually think it's a good idea. People are a lot more susceptible by advertisements and the way things look than people think.

I don't think many current smokers will stop smoking due to this but I think it will decrease the amount of people starting to smoke.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
I don't know what ciggarette packets look like in Britain but here's what they look like in Australia:
There was talk about putting a load of disgusting pictures on the packaging but for some reason it never happened. We just have this:

Others say "Smoker's die younger" and "Smoking seriously harms you and others around you".

There a not really effective in the slightest. Definitely not as much as the pictures.

I don't think the plain packaging will do much but I think not displaying them in the shops may deter some younger people from starting smoking. Obviously this won't stop everyone though.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 02:30 PM

There were pictures on them in the uk, but I don't think they lasted long. Simple solution. Make them illegal and don't sell them?
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 02:48 PM

Shock tactics don't seem to work with tobacco and alcohol really - I've lost count of the number of campaigns I've seen where the damage done is made inescapably clear to people, yet the extent to which it's taken on board is patchy at best.

Anyway, I can see why they're trying this as packaging design does impact upon uptake - it's part of the reason why manufacturers spend so much time on their packaging - and for younger people I can see how it may be more attractive if it's in distinctive packaging. The rest of me however thinks it's a bit of a waste of time and perhaps a touch hypocritical given the kind of packaging alcohol manufacturers are allowed to get away with. The keeping-cigarettes-under-the-counter thing might work though.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 02:54 PM

i think it's a good idea. more kids than you'd think carry round a box of cigarettes to 'look cool.'

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Ali Baba Offline
Honesty, Loyalty, Respect.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alexandra

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 03:20 PM

This is a bit weird! People are aware of the associated health risks...do they really need the government to keep highlighting that what they are doing is stupid? Let them off if they want to smoke, it's their own business. The government should have other, more important things to worry about.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 03:40 PM

Well they have those disgusting picture's on them they put people off smoking..ew.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 03:41 PM

To be fair the amount of NHS resources go a LOT towards people who have health problems due to smoking. I know we pay a lot of VAT on cigarettes but on a whole people smoking does effect the country. Doctors could be concentrating more on problems people have which aren't self-inflicted.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 04:11 PM

There's a rather good article on the effects of cigarette packaging changes here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ng?INTCMP=SRCH

TL;DR version is that cigarette companies use packaging to make their product appear safer, and people believe them.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 04:13 PM

To be honest it's a waste of their money. However i'm all for it if it makes them cheaper for People legally able to buy them

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 04:59 PM

I've been thinking, would it be a good idea to stop selling packs of 10? I mean back when I was 15 and smoked I could only ever afford a pack of 10, sometimes me and my friend would split the cost and have 5 each.

Just an idea floating around my head.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Ali Baba Offline
Honesty, Loyalty, Respect.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alexandra

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
I've been thinking, would it be a good idea to stop selling packs of 10? I mean back when I was 15 and smoked I could only ever afford a pack of 10, sometimes me and my friend would split the cost and have 5 each.

In Ireland we don't have 10's, kids just turn to the rollies instead cause it's cheaper :/

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 06:44 PM

As a smoker I can say that the packaging of cigarettes did actually have a big impact when I was about 14/15. You got bullied if you didn't have a nice-shiny gold pack of Benson & Hedges. You'll also find, that I think for girls, cigarettes on nights out are like some kind of accessory - and they all smoke Marlboro lights/gold.

I remember when I was young, in fact when I bought my first pack of cigarettes, rather than being disgusted they actually seemed quite classy. You pulled off the foil around to open the pretty carton to have to pull off some gold foil. The packaging does make them look very classy and sophisticated and does actually have a psychological effect of justifying your smoking n an aesthetic way.

Secondly, amongst smokers the brand of cigarettes you smoke says something about you. A lot of people smoke Marlboro reds purely because a lot of 'pretend' smokers on Silk Cut blue or Marlboro gold/lights can't handle the heaavy taste of reds. It says something about you and your lifestyle.

Making the boxes plain will certainly lose enthusiasm amongst younger people and take a certain edge off the appearance of smoking. It won't stop many people smoking, but it will stop a lot of people from starting smoking.

And for the point on the pictures on boxes. I am still shocked by one I saw in the UK of a man with throat cancer. The pictures have a lasting impression in your mind, but as with anything else the shock wears off and the discomfort goes away with increased contact with the pictures.

The thing is that a lot of these campaigns aren't a means of stopping people from smoking, as I see it, but to put people off from starting.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post

I smoke far more now, because packs of 10 are gone in Ireland. You have a choice of rolling tobacco - ~ 30 cigarettes for 12.5g; or a 20 deck.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurineth View Post
There were pictures on them in the uk, but I don't think they lasted long. Simple solution. Make them illegal and don't sell them?
that will NOT work. Does it work on weed or crack no if it did there would not be that problem. America tried that with booze and repealed it less than two decades later.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PM me
All or nothing for Christ Was I love dogs

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not parish, but have everlasting life John 3:16 ( 21st century King James Viersion)

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 13th 2011, 07:52 PM

Ahhh, that's true :/ I could never actually roll rollies for some reason, I would just waste loads of tobacco as it turned out so badly.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 14th 2011, 04:18 AM

In general, the government would really be shooting themselves in the foot if they actually did manage to convince people not to start smoking as the taxes on cigarettes (and alcohol) fund a large amount of the NHS and other publicly owned infrastructure. People who smoke actually contribute several times more money than it costs to treat smoking related illnesses, so thanks for smoking guys and please continue! As for the blank boxes, that wont work at all in my opinion. Keeping them under the counter? Maybe more so, but really why should the government go to such trouble? It really isn't their buisness, it would also seem to be slightly hypocritical as the conservatives made several nasty comments about Labour's "nanny state. Similarly they should just stop unfairly targetting cigarette companies as "bad guys", especially when so many other companies have equally dodgy, if not worse, ethics.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 14th 2011, 08:16 PM

I don't agree with making any drugs illegal, that includes tobacco. If people want to smoke them, let them. Just make sure you ram down their throats at every opportunity that they are killing themselves in a trying-too-hard attempt to look cool.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
anishift Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Anissa

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 15th 2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
People who smoke actually contribute several times more money than it costs to treat smoking related illnesses, so thanks for smoking guys and please continue!
Out of curiosity, where did you get this information? That's interesting!
  Send a message via AIM to anishift Send a message via MSN to anishift  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 15th 2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anishift View Post
Out of curiosity, where did you get this information? That's interesting!
Well, "smoking costs the NHS between £1.4bn and £1.7bn a year, according to the most recent research." [Source: BBC].

Now the taxation of cigarettes raised 8.8 billion pounds worth of direct revenue in 2009-2010 and 1.7 billion in V.A.T. [Source: HMRC][2nd Source] That means that cigarettes raise between 9.1 billion and 8.8 billion more than they cost to treat the illnesses which arise from them.

I just looked up the statistics I was using and another more recent study is claiming that smoking actually costs up to £5 billion per year. [Source: More BBC] Even if that figure is true then cigarettes still raise 5.5 billion more than the cost of treating the illnesses. I'm giving you both figures as I'm not sure which study to trust so you can make up your own mind.

As a side note, the same is true of alcohol.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Britain to force plain cigarette boxes - March 16th 2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Well, "smoking costs the NHS between £1.4bn and £1.7bn a year, according to the most recent research." [Source: BBC].

Now the taxation of cigarettes raised 8.8 billion pounds worth of direct revenue in 2009-2010 and 1.7 billion in V.A.T. [Source: HMRC][2nd Source] That means that cigarettes raise between 9.1 billion and 8.8 billion more than they cost to treat the illnesses which arise from them.

I just looked up the statistics I was using and another more recent study is claiming that smoking actually costs up to £5 billion per year. [Source: More BBC] Even if that figure is true then cigarettes still raise 5.5 billion more than the cost of treating the illnesses. I'm giving you both figures as I'm not sure which study to trust so you can make up your own mind.

As a side note, the same is true of alcohol.
I haven't got a source to back this up, but I did read in the Irish Times, maybe 4 months ago that the EU (or some body within it) is trying to get other European countries such as Spain and Greece and the Eastern ones to encourage people to stop smoking, because the cost a smoker puts on the health services is huge.

Closed Thread