TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 08:53 PM

click on this for source

It sounds like something you would see in a horror movie. A 6-year-old girl, devoid of any social interaction and stimulation all her life, is discovered living in a filthy, roach-infested home. She speaks in grunts and her body is covered in roach bites, her hair filled with lice. She's lived her whole life in a room the size of a closet, piled high with the used diapers she'd worn. She weighs XX pounds.

That is exactly how police in Plant City, Fla., found Dani in 2005, The St. Petersburg Times reported last year. On Tuesday, Dani's adoptive parents appeared on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' to tell her story.
When Dani was first rescued, a sobbing caseworker from the Florida Department of Children and Families called the case "the worst I've ever seen," the St. Petersburg Times reported. The girl couldn't speak or chew food, didn't understand peek-a-boo, didn't know how to nod yes or no. She lay curled up, sucking her fists. She never cried and didn't react to hot, cold or pain. She walked sideways on her toes.
Who would consider adopting such a girl? Diane and Bernie Lierow. Dani has been living with the Lierows and their son since 2007. Diagnosed with "environmental autism," Dani, now 10, is slowly managing to do things on her own. But the Lierows still struggle with her violent fits and don't know how much of her developmental capability has been damaged forever.
Danielle's birth mother, Michelle Crockett, was charged with child abuse and faced 20 years in prison. Still, she refused to give up custody of her daughter. So prosecutors offered a plea deal: She could wave her parental rights and avoid jail time. She was sentenced to two years of house arrest, probation and 100 hours of community service, The St. Petersburg Times reported.

this is just amazing how she was treated.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 08:55 PM

Meh, pretty white girl syndrome strikes again.

People also only care because she is a US citizen. Millions live like that in Africa

(#3 (permalink)) Old
almostinvisible Offline
Dreaming
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Erica

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 09:00 PM

That was awful. I saw it on the news a while back. I'm glad she found a stable home.

You're everything I know that makes me believe
I'm not alone
You're in everyone I see
So tell me
Do you see me?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post

People also only care because she is a US citizen. Millions live like that in Africa
Have to agree with Lee on this one. Sad story, but people are worse off in other countries.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Turquoise Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 10:01 PM

Uhm. Yeah, she might be a pretty white girl. But you know what makes this story sadder than something in another country? Her own mother did this to her on purpose. Neglect of a child is something most traditional families only do if it's NECESSARY. This was just sickening.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Guardian_Angel Offline
Protector.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Peter

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 10:10 PM

There is kids all over the world living in these conditions, they are classified as "feral children"
Abuse is horrible, but it happens. I am so insensitived by it all.

What is good is that these poor kids can be reintegrated into society, what I am more concerned about is that the woman only goes to prison for two years. After such abuse, I don't think they should have to make a bloody deal to gain custody of her kid. She gave that up when she treated her worse than most torturers could!
that's messed up.

Impossible
is a word
to be found only
in the dictionary of fools.

To do all that one is able to do,
Is to be a man;
To do all that one would like to do,
Is to be a god.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Quiero tener sandías con un patito como Tricia!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:

What? People in Africa can't chew food, can only communicate with grunts and don't react to temperature or pain? Hardly. She was also in conditions which would put an African village to shame.

I also wouldn't agree with pretty white girl syndrome, it is a genuinely shocking case rather than something which wouldn't get reported if it was a black child or an ugly child. I think you're jumping straight to cynicism without thinking about it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
WordNerd
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lindsay

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
Have to agree with Lee on this one. Sad story, but people are worse off in other countries.
others being worse off doesn't stop this from being terrible. their stories are horrible as well. it doesn't mean we shouldn't care about her.

"If you are going to tell the truth, be funny, or they'll kill you."
-Billy Wilder

My tumblr is mydalekromance.tumblr.com please visit me there.

feel free to contact me anytime.
Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing
  Send a message via AIM to llamasliketoparty  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 10:25 PM

This is absolutely shocking. How someone can treat a child like that is beyond disgusting. This is really saddening to see. I'm just glad she has a nice loving home now.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 10:41 PM

I disagree with Lee. I honestly think this is different from other children in foreign countries. Most of the time, they aren't purposely put in that situation.

She is an adorable girl. It's sad that she was treated that way.

--A

(#11 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What? People in Africa can't chew food, can only communicate with grunts and don't react to temperature or pain? Hardly. She was also in conditions which would put an African village to shame.

I also wouldn't agree with pretty white girl syndrome, it is a genuinely shocking case rather than something which wouldn't get reported if it was a black child or an ugly child. I think you're jumping straight to cynicism without thinking about it.
Seconded.

And even if somewhere people ARE worse off than this girl, it doesn't make her situation somehow "better". Seriously? I'm fine with being a cynic and all but human pain is human pain.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Quote:
living in a filthy, roach-infested home.... her body is covered in roach bites, her hair filled with lice. She's lived her whole life in a room the size of a closet
I meant that bit more than not grunting or decreased reactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
Seconded.

And even if somewhere people ARE worse off than this girl, it doesn't make her situation somehow "better". Seriously? I'm fine with being a cynic and all but human pain is human pain.
Reported human pain is reported human pain. This had been going on for the best part of a decade and on the large scale nobody cared. This was almost certainly because nobody knew but it does not render my point false

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 4th 2009, 11:54 PM

There has been far worse cases of abuse than this one, however, that is not to say that this one is rather bad, such as the case of Genie (I think in the 1970s or so), where she was bound to a portable potty chair day in and day out, forced to eat and sleep sitting down. If she made noises, it was suspected the father (or whoever the male person was) came in and kicked the crap out of her. This is believed to have gone on for at least 10 or so years. There are also other cases of feral children, which can produce some similar results in terms of cognitive, health and physical abilities.

I have to side with Lee. Stuff like this happens worldwide, perhaps not always as bad but many of the other cases go unreported. And since we all love the fluffy little animals, they get abused and neglected a rather good amount yet go unreported. It sucks for her but it's not shocking to me.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 5th 2009, 12:07 AM

There have been many cases of feral children, reported and unreported. As mentioned above, Genie is one famous case of a young girl whose parents locked her away.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#15 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 5th 2009, 02:20 AM

That's awful. I feel so sorry for the girl. I really hope that she can get her life on track as much as possible with this new family.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#16 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 5th 2009, 03:50 AM

That's so sad. I know her life might be on the right track one day possible but the mental scars must be unbelievable.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 6th 2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
That's true but this is so shocking because of the fact that it happened in a wealthy country like the US.

Also, please remember that this girl needed help and still does. Just because she was born in the US doesn't mean that she's automatically "wealthy" or "rich". She is still human. The sad fact is that she was treated worse than a lot of children in Africa. She was malnourished and very neglected by her mother. Even though many African children are poor, at least some of them have parents and relatives who love them.

In addition, I don't know if she's a US citizen. Her mother had never taken her to the hospital, which means that it's very likely that she was never registered which, additionally, she wouldn't have a birth certificate, health ID, etc.
Therefore, in the eyes of the law, she didn't exist. (Also keep in mind that nobody except for the family knew this girl existed).

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 6th 2009, 03:18 AM

I highly doubt that no one was able to take the kid, or get adopted or the like. Any sociologist would be fighting over her. We've been talking about similar cases in sociology, and it's really pathetic how much the professionals will play games, and just treat the girl like a toy.

It kind of makes me really sad to see the cynicism and total disregard for other people.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Child Was Raised Like an Animal. - March 6th 2009, 03:21 AM

I don't know why AOL is just now reporting this, but this is very old news. I remember reading this article last year when I was still back at my old college.

Beware of the cats.

Closed Thread