TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
asyoulikeit's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: MURKA!

Posts: 417
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Homeschooled kids - March 5th 2009, 06:38 PM

My school is currently rebelling against a bill that's being passed in my area saying that homeschooled/private school kids should be allowed to participate in public school extracurriculars (sports, theatre, etc.). I've heard about 3 of my teachers rant about how this is completely unfair to the students paying for their public education and all it's benefits, and so far I think my area is opposing it. Me, I think there should definitely be some fee that you have to pay to take advantage of another school's stuff, but I don't see it as wrong. Opinions?


When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 5th 2009, 06:43 PM

Well if the parents work they pay taxes which pay the teachers so they don't need to pay any extra Fees.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough
*********
 
BrittneyNicole's Avatar
 
Name: Brittney
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,040
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 5th 2009, 06:45 PM

The parents of homeschooled kids are paying taxes for other children to go public schools and to pay the teachers? So why should they have to pay to participate in sports and such? Public schools are free, basically, for the children who go there and they don't have to pay an extra fee.


"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

  Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 5th 2009, 07:14 PM

They need to evaluate how the school fees are done. If it is state funding, then yeah, the kids in the school district should be allowed to participate. They have to live in the school district in my own opinion. If the kids pay an activity fee, then they should too.


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 5th 2009, 08:28 PM

For starters public school kids don't 'pay'. Taxes pay for their education.My parents paid school taxes for two kids, even though we were both homeschooled. If there's an activity fee for public schoolers, then sure, it's alright to make homeschoolers pay the same fee.But otherwise, I say let them join in if they want to.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 5th 2009, 11:48 PM

I think they should be allowed to join in, but they should have to pay a fee. Yes, the kids' parents are paying taxes which go to the school. But the children do not attend the school and they participate in school activities, they could be taking spots away from a student there. Sports teams are supposed to represent the school, not the area. If you want to represent your area, get on a travel team. There are sports teams out there that would be great for home schooled children, as well as other kids. You just have to be willing to pay for it.


--A
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 6th 2009, 03:04 AM

Here I go on a large rant. I have a very personal oppinion on this matter. I was homeschooled my entire life up until last year. I was involved in my local high school's Theatre department during my Freshman year (still homeschooled), and was completely head-over-heels in love. On our first performance night, the school Administrators had apparently "discovered" that I was involved (although I wasn't hiding), and booted me out. The only reason I attend that school now is because I wanted to be involved in that theatre so badly. So yeah. If I get a little hostile, I apologize.

Parents of homeschooled children do not get tax breaks. They fund public schools as much as the parents who actually attend the school. I can say with first hand knowledge that you do NOT pay any more money attending the school. When I switched from homeschooling to public school, we did not have to pay any fees or extra taxes. It was exactly the same.

So, it is established that, financially, this would not affect the public school system. If money is not an issue, then why should homeschooled students be excluded? Are they of less value? Must we conform to do what the school wants just to have a normal life? It's out-right descrimination, honestly. This sectionalism is rediculous. One school district should be able to share extracarricular activities without all this "outsider" and "insider" bullshit.

Quote:
But the children do not attend the school and they participate in school activities, they could be taking spots away from a student there.

If a homeschooled student tries out for a sports team, it would not lessen the chances of any student there getting the position. All students are treated equally at try-outs, and if a student is good enough, THEY will get a spot on the team, not the homeschool student.

*takes deep breath* I feel much better now.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 6th 2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
For starters public school kids don't 'pay'. Taxes pay for their education.My parents paid school taxes for two kids, even though we were both homeschooled. If there's an activity fee for public schoolers, then sure, it's alright to make homeschoolers pay the same fee.But otherwise, I say let them join in if they want to.
For starters, some kids do pay their school fees. School fees do not equal taxes.


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
asyoulikeit's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: MURKA!

Posts: 417
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 6th 2009, 05:07 PM

Dang, Jessi

As for the fees, I know that taxes are paid by everyone homeschooled or no, but I've been going to public school all my life and I know that parents (at least) of public school kids DO put money into the school that homeschooled students aren't invited to. Ex:

fund raisers
tickets to school events
sports supplies (admitting, though, that a homeschooled student would also have to pay for this if they got on the team.)


When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 6th 2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adean View Post
For starters, some kids do pay their school fees. School fees do not equal taxes.
I didn't say some kids didn't. Just the schools in my area don't charge fees for public school students, is what I meant. I know some schools do, but not all schools do.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asyoulikeit View Post
Dang, Jessi

As for the fees, I know that taxes are paid by everyone homeschooled or no, but I've been going to public school all my life and I know that parents (at least) of public school kids DO put money into the school that homeschooled students aren't invited to. Ex:

fund raisers
tickets to school events
sports supplies (admitting, though, that a homeschooled student would also have to pay for this if they got on the team.)
Yes, but I've been in homeschool AND public school, so I can very easily constrast the difference between how much money we pay...which is none. =]

If homeschoolers were allowed in the extra-carricular activities, then they would most likely participate in fund raisers for said activity. As for fundraisers for the school in general, even childless families contribute as buyers. Besides, why should a non-student pay for the parts of the school they are NOT involved in?

School events, such as dances (*cough* another thing I was kicked out of as a homeschooler) are some of the activities at issue here. If homeschool kids were ALLOWED at these events then, yes, we would pay the same fees.

As for sports supplies, you already admitted that players would have to pay the same damn thing as current students.

Students that have been in public school their entire life, or homeschooled their entire life, have very little experience with the different fees as each. So just trust me on this, okay? In fact, it's costing the school/state MORE MONEY to have me as a student, because I get free lunch as do many other students who cannot afford the school food.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
asyoulikeit's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: MURKA!

Posts: 417
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 12:27 AM

Good lord. People are allowed to have opinions, and you make good points but try not to bite heads off, ok? I already said I think the bill is a GOOD THING. The whole issue about paying compensation for using the school but not attending it is probably irrelevant unless somebody starts a petition specifically ABOUT that; there's already one going around against it, but that's the only petition I know of at the moment.


When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 12:32 AM

Dear wife, this IS a debate...I'm just contrasting my opinions/facts with your opinions/facts. I know I can get heated on this, though, so I apologize. *hugs*

Whether or not the homeschoolers have to pay fees IS really important, though. Remember that, if I had to pay a fee to be involved in theatre, I wouldn't have been. My family struggled just to get by those days, and a LOT of other families are in the same boat. I just don't think it would be fair to be deprived of an experience because of financial problems when it's something you shouldn't have to pay for.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 01:01 AM

We should charge for all sports and activities. I think those activities should
be taken out of the school.


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 01:30 AM

Personally, at my school you pay money to do everything. This education is NOT free at all.

Whenever a home schooled child is on the sports team, it does take away a spot from someone who would actually go to the school and play on the team. It's high school sports. You are representing your school. Do I want to be represented by someone who doesn't even attend there? No, I do not. I want this to be the best athletes at our school. It would also be near impossible to have a home schooler athlete because of all the events that happen at my school in school. Not to mention how we leave early, have fundraisers in school, etc. Then there is that bonding thing. At school, all of us girls sit together and talk. We get changed together, carry water. If you weren't a part of everything, I think the girl would get rejected. It may not be that way where you go to school, however.


--A
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adean View Post
We should charge for all sports and activities. I think those activities should
be taken out of the school.
Why?...... sports keep people from doing drugs joining gangs doing other illegal activitys.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Personally, at my school you pay money to do everything. This education is NOT free at all.

Whenever a home schooled child is on the sports team, it does take away a spot from someone who would actually go to the school and play on the team. It's high school sports. You are representing your school. Do I want to be represented by someone who doesn't even attend there? No, I do not. I want this to be the best athletes at our school. It would also be near impossible to have a home schooler athlete because of all the events that happen at my school in school. Not to mention how we leave early, have fundraisers in school, etc. Then there is that bonding thing. At school, all of us girls sit together and talk. We get changed together, carry water. If you weren't a part of everything, I think the girl would get rejected. It may not be that way where you go to school, however.
I can't exactly see students getting into an uproar because a homeschool student is on their soccer team. We are part of the same community, and I think that is MUCH more important than being across a building from someone all day. Most people wouldn't know the difference if a homeschooler was involved in their activities.

It isn't impossible to bond with someone because they do not go to your school...if that were the case, no one would homeschool their children because they would never have any friends. People from different schools would never be friends, either. When I did theatre while homeschooled, I was there working more than the actors most of the time. It does not mean we cannot work just as hard or just as well. Also, whether or not an activity takes place during school hours is entirely irrelevant--the homeschooler would have the same ability to drive to the school during the day than they do in the afternoon. We do "previews" of our plays during 4th period, one for each production...when I was homeschooled, I simply drove to the school, got a Visitors' pass in the main office, and went about things as usual.

Would you say that a girl would get rejected from your team just because she didn't have any classes with her team mates? I think that the notion that you MUST speak during school hours to bond is a bit silly.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 03:05 AM

Well, the schools should focus more on academics. I don't think the schools should be spending money on athletics and theaters when America has such poor school systems.

As for keeping kids off drugs, do you have some studies to back that up?


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 03:38 AM

http://www.essortment.com/family/fam...nting_sjkp.htm


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Pessimistic Panda's Avatar
 
Name: Jennifer
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Location: Three rivers Mi

Posts: 914
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 04:25 AM

I don't know how well their tax money is going to the school but their tax money pays for some of the schooling so why not and I don't think it's wrong if they have to pay to be in the extracurricular activities like anybody else.


You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus




  Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 05:40 AM

Just FYI...

Quote:
Legal Arguments

There are several constitutional arguments advanced on behalf of non-public students seeking part-time public school participation:
  1. Denying non-public students access to part-time classes denies them due process in their property interest in the free public education provided for by state constitutions. (Due Process Clause of the 5th and 14th Amendments)
  2. Non-public students excluded from part-time activities are unjustifiably discriminated against, denying these students their right to equal protection under the law. (Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment)
  3. If a student is not enrolled in public school because of a sincere religious belief, his right to the free exercise of his religious beliefs is burdened by the prohibition of access to public school activities. (Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment and Free Exercise Clause of the 1st Amendment)
Quote:
State legislators, however, seem open to allowing homeschoolers the privilege of access to public school activities.

Part of the reason for this trend is financial. School districts in some areas are beginning to feel a decrease in funds due to the increasing number of students leaving public schools for private and home education. Schools may try to compete with private education by luring those students back with sports and academic classes, in order to regain at least partial funding for those students.

I *heart* HSLDA.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000049.asp


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 07:24 PM

FINALLY! I found the actual bill. I'm so stoked. I was looking for this all night. Again, I absolutely love HSLDA.

Quote:

Senate Bill 259: Opening Public School Sports to Homeschool Students

Authors:
Senator Jim Jacumin
Summary:
This bill would permit students in private, home, and charter schools to participate in sports at public school.

Status:
2/19/2009 (Senate) Filed 2/23/2009 (Senate) Referred To Committee on Education/Higher Education
Quote:

A private school, home school, or charter school that does not have an interscholastic athletics program in a given sport may participate in that sport at the base public high school for the student's address,subject to the terms and conditions applicable to a regularly enrolled member of that school's student body. If the student's base school does not have a program in the sport, the student may participate inthe sport at the public high school closest to the student's base schoolthat has a program in that sport, subject to the terms and conditionsapplicable to a regularly enrolled member of that school's student body.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
eaty's Avatar
 
Name: Sarah
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Posts: 969
Blog Entries: 347
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 7th 2009, 11:14 PM

I think it is about time i posted in here.

First off, i am homeschooled and have been my whole life.

The high school here is just trying to pass this thing that homeschoolers can't do sports or drama at a school. When in fact, the schools in my area have never let them.

But as to if it is right or wrong to not let homeschoolers to sports or theater at a school, i really think depends on where you live. And what is going on.

I have seen a LOT of people who are against homeschoolers, who would try anything to get rid of homeschoolers. I get tired of those kind of people.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 12:29 AM

Why? You have the right to join a sports team or any other school activity!


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
asyoulikeit's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: MURKA!

Posts: 417
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 01:46 AM

To Mary, the arts do in fact have statistical evidence backing up the beneficial effect, and the extracurricular activities motivate students to participate in school (EXHIBIT A: jessi, who came to my school BECAUSE of theatre.) If we took away the funding from the arts/sports and put it in academics, that would force students to find less constructive ways to spend their time and wouldn't increase their interest in math or english.

I would hope that a homeschooled student (hereafter HSS cause i'm tired of typing that ) would be as much accepted by the team as a regular player, but that's likely to vary according to school. I can see, however, the worry that the HSS would have trouble with the schedule. Again, depending on school and students there.

I think my school is protesting this because they're already broke and afraid that this will take even more money from their programs. We have CONSTANT (and I mean constant) fund-raisers that students contribute to, which HSS's wouldn't necessarily give to. Not saying it makes sense, just I think that's their motivation.


When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asyoulikeit View Post
To Mary, the arts do in fact have statistical evidence backing up the beneficial effect, and the extracurricular activities motivate students to participate in school (EXHIBIT A: jessi, who came to my school BECAUSE of theatre.) If we took away the funding from the arts/sports and put it in academics, that would force students to find less constructive ways to spend their time and wouldn't increase their interest in math or english.
What she said.



Quote:
I think my school is protesting this because they're already broke and afraid that this will take even more money from their programs. We have CONSTANT (and I mean constant) fund-raisers that students contribute to, which HSS's wouldn't necessarily give to. Not saying it makes sense, just I think that's their motivation.
I don't know...I wouldn't say our school is exactly "broke". If we have enough money to even do things like Theatre and all the different sports and clubs, then we're doing pretty well. Most schools in our area do not even have a Theatre, let alone a drama program. We have a couple hundred great school computers, some buses with air conditioning, excellent teachers, an AMAZING library and decent text books. I would say our school is one of the most wealthy in the area, honestly.

I think that our school gets that "omg we're so broke" mentality because we live in one of the richest and most expensive areas in the country. So our School Board directors and administrators expect us to have more, even though we already have MUCH more than we need.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
asyoulikeit's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: MURKA!

Posts: 417
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 03:12 AM

True; I didn't take into account that our county is ridiculously overpriced as far as property value and stuff...not that any school EVER has enough money. That's basically a general rule, that they're always hoping for more. Us, maybe we're just stingy in some areas lol but that's not fair when a bill like this actually makes it to Congress. It kind of surprises me that it made it this far, and I hope it goes all the way.


When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazola View Post
What she said.





I don't know...I wouldn't say our school is exactly &quot;broke&quot;. If we have enough money to even do things like Theatre and all the different sports and clubs, then we're doing pretty well. Most schools in our area do not even have a Theatre, let alone a drama program. We have a couple hundred great school computers, some buses with air conditioning, excellent teachers, an AMAZING library and decent text books. I would say our school is one of the most wealthy in the area, honestly.

I think that our school gets that &quot;omg we're so broke&quot; mentality because we live in one of the richest and most expensive areas in the country. So our School Board directors and administrators expect us to have more, even though we already have MUCH more than we need.
Oh and also North Carolina isn't dead last in Gov Funding for Education. Arizona receives Far less Money and also has a high Drop out rate


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 07:43 AM

Adean no offense but I think you're suggestion of taking out extracirricular activities is nuts. Most people only get a chance to go to college because of athletic scholarships. The only reason I even got a chance to audition for BFA programs is because of my high school theatre credits. Not only did theatre allow me to have a social life, but it gave me something to do in the afternoons instead of sit in front of the television. You take away extracirricular activites, you take away some kids reasons for even attending high school. It's sad and sure I guess it should be about the academics, but we can't change what is. Because of budget cuts my alma mater might have to cut their drama and chorus programs. I cannot imagine what my friends who are still there will do with themselves. Let me tell you some of those kids are in a situation where they need some place other than home to be, whose parents don't care where they go so if they didn't have something to do at school, they'd be off doing something else.

On topic, I think that homeschoolers should definitly be allowed to participate.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Mel14 Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Mel14's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Imaginationland

Posts: 216
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 05:44 PM

Don't private schools have their own sports and stuff??
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 06:40 PM

Some Private Schools have their own extracurricular programs, but many do not. Homeschools do not have any.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
LillyImp Offline
Average Joe
***
 
LillyImp's Avatar
 
Name: Lilly
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 196
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 8th 2009, 06:46 PM

That's already a law where I live, and it's sweet.
All the kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to play, or convers with other kids can. And it isn't hurting anyone.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 9th 2009, 06:08 PM

Why! That's a great source! Use essortment in all your papers at school. Especially when it says at the bottom "Information may have errors or be outdated.Some information is from historical sources or represents opinions of the author."

The problem is that can you prove that the kids involved with sports or activities aren't already kids less likely to do drugs? Maybe they are doing drugs or alcohol on the side?

Quote:
Most people only get a chance to go to college because of athletic scholarships.
You do realize that the people who get athletic scholarships are very few in number in proportion to the amount of students in college? Then there's also the fact that the kid has to have good grades too or else they won't be in college very long if at all. Also, those kids then need to figure out something else to do with their lives if all their lives are theater or some sport at school. If there's nothing to do, then they must be very, very boring people. Yeah, I am calling your friends boring. Get a job, organize a club outside of school, volunteer, get involved with something else. There's loads of things to do in the world and the school shouldn't have to babysit kids to keep them off drugs or keep them from a bad home situation.

I think it's time to get rid of the old public school model. If we did, we would no longer have to have concern for whether or not we should have public and private schools mix.


Beware of the cats.

Last edited by Adean; March 9th 2009 at 06:16 PM.
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
asyoulikeit's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: MURKA!

Posts: 417
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 9th 2009, 06:54 PM

I've read your post a couple of times, Mary, and I think you're misunderstanding the argument others are making.

First off, NO statistical "evidence" is ever completely reliable; what may be true in one school can be completely false in the next. Also, all the surveys and studies never study the complete population of students; it's impossible. If you want to disregard numbers, it's logical to say that students who have the opportunity to participate in extracurriculars would be less likely to get into destructive behavior because there is an extraordinary amount of discipline and devotion of time involved in these activities. Students who are interested in these are usually the type who would be less likely to be destructive anyway, but the simple option of being ABLE to do them has turned many students around as well.

As for being "boring" for having a passion for a certain subject, I highly doubt you could be serious about such a close-minded statement. Someone involved in art, sports or theatre is PERFECTLY capable of having an outside life involved in their community; I have been in theatre for 3 years, and I'm also a member of my church youth group, volunteer regularly at Manna Food Bank, am a member of the Beta Club, have gone on mission trips, interned at a local theatre, have had a job for 2 years, and have a normally active social life. And my grades are fine. The fact that some students fall in love with/want to go to college for these activities is their choice and it works out for some of them. Just because there are more traditional courses of study that can be improved doesn't mean the rug should be pulled out from under all the creative programs. Not to mention the economic contribution that artistic companies make to communities, which would be lessened if students were never exposed to any kind of art during their time at school.

I agree that the academic subjects are vital to our school systems, and the public school design isn't exactly perfect but neither is anything else in our society. The issue between homeschooling/public/private might be solved in the future but I'm sure it can be reconciled while still keeping extracurriculars around.


When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.

Last edited by asyoulikeit; March 9th 2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typos, yay
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 10th 2009, 12:33 AM

The problem is that the poster said it as a fact. Also, even the most basic stats course should have taught you that you don't need to have an entire population for an effective study. A study may not be the most accurate, but if done correctly they can predict trends pretty well.

Yeah, it is a close-minded statement to whine about how kids won't have opportunities outside of the classroom if schools don't provide it. The poster I was replying to mentioned how she had a social life because of theater. That's sad and she should make an effort to get out more. You clearly do have a social life. Did you really need the theater to fulfill yourself?

Kids are exposed to it through the school, but that's different from sponsoring programs after school. There are still community drama programs, the YMCA, and other similar programs. If the school doesn't provide them, there are still opportunities available.


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 10th 2009, 02:39 AM

I'm going to reiterate that all people pay taxes for schools in their area. So even the parent's of homeschooled children are paying taxes that go to public schools. I think it would have been great to have this in my school district.

If so-and-so is a better football player than someone else, they should get the spot whether or not they are homeschooled.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 10th 2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adean View Post
The poster I was replying to mentioned how she had a social life because of theater. That's sad and she should make an effort to get out more. You clearly do have a social life. Did you really need the theater to fulfill yourself?
I do not recall her asking for your advice on her social life.

Some people do need Theatre to fulfill themselves...because Theatre is their passion. Perhaps it is difficult for someone without this to understand, but passion brings pleasure and joy to one's life. It's perfectly alright to love what you do.

"Getting out more" is a term most often used to describe expanding one's social network. If someone meets great people through Theatre, why is that such a problem? You're acting like they said "I have a social life because of the internet". Theatre requires the cast and crew alike to work together as a team, in order to create the best production possible. When you spend three to four hours a day with the same people over the course of a few months, you tend to bond. This is normal human nature.

It'd be nice if you could try to refrain from attacking posters personally; our life choices are of no concern to you. Just because you seem to despise the Fine Arts does not mean you have to spread the misery. =]

Quote:
Kids are exposed to it through the school, but that's different from sponsoring programs after school. There are still community drama programs, the YMCA, and other similar programs. If the school doesn't provide them, there are still opportunities available.
In most cases, these programs cost money. If you didn't know, many people live in poverty and struggle to afford simple necessities. It's emotionally and developmentally unhealthy to live a life with no hobbies because you cannot afford them, especially for children. Programs such as sports, drama, and band are very helpful in healthy cognitive development, for it engages the child's mind and body while exposing them to new social situations every day. A school's duty is not simply to provide an education, but to also provide a healthy environment in which children may learn and grow.

However, every bit of this is off topic. This isn't a debate of whether or not extracurricular activities should exist.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 10th 2009, 04:32 AM

It's okay I'm only a little insulted. Mostly because she's right on my account, not only is theatre my passion, but it's all I know, I don't get along with people outside of theatre because most people outside of theatre see me as a freak. I burst out into song, I quote shows, I'm big and dramatic and over the top and I need theatre people to have a social life, blame my parents if you like. But you see I don't care that I don't have a social life outside of theatre, I don't care that I don't get along with people who don't know the difference between effect and affect, who don't know who Gene Kelly is, who love to drink all of the time, and listen to shitty music, and who enjoy the High School Musical movies. I don't know blame my private middle school that focused on the performing arts and did a Shakespeare play every year and made dance a mandatory class. As for doing community theatre, honey I live in Orlando, where the arts are constantly snubbed and there's barely any work for adults let alone high school students. I couldn't get a job because my parents couldn't get me a car and someone had to babysit my younger brother, plus I was dancing everyday of the week plus voice lessons. You see as I tried to say before, when one's chosen career is theatre we need ALL of the experience we can get if we want to get anywhere. High school extraciricular activites are pretty much free, you've got to be very lucky to have parents who can afford outside lessons. So yes I do need theatre to fullfill myself, when I was 15 I blew out my knee and I stopped dancing, and I regret that everyday because I feel like part of me was missing. I'm sorry that you don't already have a career you're passionate about, but I do so don't pity me because I'm happy. And I think it would be truly sad that other kids who share my passion couldn't have my opportunties.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 10th 2009, 01:06 PM

Public schools are supported by taxes...so as long as the kid's parents pay their taxes, public school facilities should be open to them. In fact, as far as I know, public schools are even available to kids whose parents don't pay taxes. (As part of the whole no-child-left-behind thing, as I understand it.)


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
asyoulikeit's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: MURKA!

Posts: 417
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: Homeschooled kids - March 10th 2009, 05:45 PM

I agree about the taxes going to public schools in that every family is already paying for the public services including schools. How the state spends those taxes seems to vary by area, which is probably why there is so much conflict on whether homeschooled extracurricular students are taking away school funds. (I'm still on the fence about this, as I don't know what the financial effects of this bill will be on my school) My director made a good point about the sports teams/auditions/band tryouts; if they're being conducted fairly (meaning the students are judged on merit, not other factors like school spirit/personality) then a homeschooled student shouldn't be stopped from proving their skills and having a chance to be chosen. Yes, it will be difficult for them to keep up with school schedules if they don't attend that school but some can deal with that (anyone who can't won't stick with the team for long anyway).

As for statistics, yes a simple random sample (larger the better) CAN predict the trend of an overall population but any stats class will also tell you that the results aren't gospel truth and any outliers in the data will skew the information you get. Most surveys include a little bit of bias, whether or not it's on purpose. I'm simply saying that it's difficult to make any general statement about schools and taxes because the laws vary and no one has taken data from every single institution. Sorry for the off-topic-ness, but I had to get that out.

And the extracurriculars are a good outlet for students who are living in poverty; that's a really good point. Outside resources have an expense in almost any community, while schools make an effort to provide the students with whatever materials and convenience possible. Kudos to all the theatre fans, by the way <3 <3 <3 I can't imagine going for more than a couple months without being involved in a production.


When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
homeschooled, kids

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.