TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Arrow Which three would you let into the US? - March 5th 2009, 11:06 PM

My sister is in high school, this was a part of her homework.

Ten immigrants are seeking admission into the US. You are a member of the selection panel that will choose 3 of these 10 for admittance. Who will you select? How will you decide?

Possible selection criteria - health factors, employment possiblities, benefit or burden on society, humanitarian reasons, level of education, who will be responsible for them (family), possible contributions to the US, and what other options do they have?

These are the 10:
1. A scientist who is working on a cure for cancer. He speaks no english and is a member of the Communist party.

2. The wife of a miner who is currently in the US but on strike. They have been seperated for five years.

3. A 5 year old girl whose older brother is in school in the US. Her parents have just died, she is living with an aunt. Her brother works at a grocery store while he puts himself through college.

4. A highly skilled craftsman who speaks minimal english. He has been promised a job in a furniture factory. He would like to do well so he could bring his family as well.

5. A young woman escaping famine. She is poorly educated and poverty stricken, entrance into the US is her only chance for survival.

6. An internationally know author who has been deported from his home country. He is a political symbol and desired by other countires.

7. A man escaping the army in his home country because it is involved in a civil war which he oposes.

8. A refugee whose life is endangered by the military he is however suffereing from lukemia and has one year to live.

9. A prestigous intellectual and film maker who has been convicted of drug possesion.

10. A worker who intends to join his family in the US and has been awaiting admission for 3 years.

We chose 4 (the obvious first choice), 8 (we debated between 8 and 3, but didn't see how her brother would be able to take care of her with his current job and go to school, and plus 8 would have a chance for better health care) and 10 (he has family and a job waiting).

Who would you choose and why?

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

Last edited by Tara.; March 5th 2009 at 11:22 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 5th 2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
These are the 10:
1. A scientist who is working on a cure for cancer. He speaks no english and is a member of the Communist party.

2. The wife of a miner who is currently in the US but on strike. They have been seperated for five years.

3. A 5 year old girl whose older brother is in school in the US. Her parents have just died, she is living with an aunt. Her brother works at a grocery store while he puts himself through college.

4. A highly skilled craftsman who speaks minimal english. He has been promised a job in a furniture factory. He would like to do well so he could bring his family as well.

5. A young woman escaping famine. She is poorly educated and poverty stricken, entrance into the US is her only chance for survival.

6. An internationally know author who has been deported from his home country. He is a political symbol and desired by other countires.

7. A man escaping the army in his home country because it is involved in a civil war which he oposes.

8. A refugee whose life is endangered by the military he is however suffereing from lukemia and has one year to live.

9. A prestigous intellectual and film maker who has been convicted of drug possesion.

10. A worker who intends to join his family in the US and has been awaiting admission for 3 years.

We chose 4 (the obvious first choice), 8 (we debated between 8 and 3, but didn't see how her brother would be able to take care of her with his current job and go to school, and plus 8 would have a chance for better health care) and 10 (he has family and a job waiting).
I picked number three because the girl's parents just died and I really think she needs her brother right now. Number four was the last choice I made and I really didn't want to pick anyone after the first two. I picked him however, because he has skills and could do well at his new job. I picked number ten because the man was been waiting for three years.

--A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider*man(girl) View Post

Ten immigrants are seeking admission into the US. You are a member of the selection panel that will choose 3 of these 10 for admittance. Who will you select? How will you decide?

Possible selection criteria - health factors, employment possiblities, benefit or burden on society, humanitarian reasons, level of education, who will be responsible for them (family), possible contributions to the US, and what other options do they have?

These are the 10:

1- cancer is an awful way to die and if he can cure it, thats a miracle.
5- She has no where else to go, I can't just let her starve.
7- If he can stand up for his beliefs that much, he would be an asset to this country.
and if i could only have one more spot I'd pick #10... he works, has family here, and has been waiting for 3 years.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 12:41 AM

These are the 10:

#3 because I think she needs her brother right now. If the brother works hard enough, he can take care of her. He's the only immediate family she has now. Besides, there are scholarships and such to help with schooling.
#5 because she has no other chance for survival.
#10 because he has been waiting for three years and is separated from them for three years.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:

These are the 10:

6.An internationally know author who has been deported from his home country. He is a political symbol and desired by other countires.

1. Science is important for competition. Communism is irrelevant because from what I've seen people that live in some communist countries are competitive. CHINA. He would however have to renounce his membership.

4. The worker is highly skilled and knows some English to be able to work and become a better speaker. Plus he will be able to support his family if he has a good job... we won't have to...

5. She might be poor and uneducated but she is young. She therefore has enough time to become educated with help from the government in the form of grants, scholarships.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 01:24 AM

I picked 1,2, and 10.

1 because if the guy can cure cancer then come on lets get him in here.
2 because she hasn't seen her husband in five years and there's no reason not to let her in
10 because the dudes been waiting 3 years as has his family.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#7 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 01:30 AM

1. duhhhh cancer cure buys you a ticket!
3. Who else is going to take care of her? Plus she needs family now more than ever.
5. I am not going to let someone die just because there is a better candidate for entrance!!

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 02:04 AM

Ignoring the fact I really couldn't care less about US immigration, I treated these as though they were non-EU nationals wanting entry into the United Kingdom

1. It's not the 50s any more and curing cancer can cause long term good

6. Nothing gets you good foreign relations like offering exile to a celebrity, moreso if from a rouge state

4. Workers = good for the economy

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 02:42 AM

Speaking as an immigrant who's lived in Canada since the age of ten, I cannot choose. There needs to be more information. I understand that this is just a school assignment but if you want to actually teach how immigration works, there's needs to be more information. Immigrants are not accepted or rejected based on one sentence about their life

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamverybeautiful View Post
Speaking as an immigrant who's lived in Canada since the age of ten, I cannot choose. There needs to be more information. I understand that this is just a school assignment but if you want to actually teach how immigration works, there's needs to be more information. Immigrants are not accepted or rejected based on one sentence about their life
Very true, this was our problem with the assignment.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Don't see why i would be working on a selection panel for that type of thing.

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 6th 2009, 11:08 PM

1. A scientist who is working on a cure for cancer. He speaks no english and is a member of the Communist party. - No because we will still benefit from the cure for cancer.

2. The wife of a miner who is currently in the US but on strike. They have been seperated for five years. - No. Since there is no evidence or talk of how the woman is doing in her other country, I'd assume she's okay.

3. A 5 year old girl whose older brother is in school in the US. Her parents have just died, she is living with an aunt. Her brother works at a grocery store while he puts himself through college. - That girl really has a chance at something good, and would probably be more comfortable with her brother. And I'm a sucker for little kids.

4. A highly skilled craftsman who speaks minimal english. He has been promised a job in a furniture factory. He would like to do well so he could bring his family as well. - He will work hard for his family, and he's already been promised a job.

5. A young woman escaping famine. She is poorly educated and poverty stricken, entrance into the US is her only chance for survival. - I pulled a utilitarianism standpoint, and said the other guy joining his family will help more people than this woman would. But it was a hard choice.

6. An internationally know author who has been deported from his home country. He is a political symbol and desired by other countires. - Other countries can have him then.

7. A man escaping the army in his home country because it is involved in a civil war which he oposes. - There are other places he can go.

8. A refugee whose life is endangered by the military he is however suffereing from lukemia and has one year to live. - He's going to only live here for a year anyway.

10. A worker who intends to join his family in the US and has been awaiting admission for 3 years. - He has been waiting already. And it will beneifit his family. - Don't need drugs, he can find another place.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 7th 2009, 01:11 AM

These are the 10:

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#14 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 7th 2009, 01:32 AM

We all want a cure to cancer.

If the US is her only chance of survival, why deny her the chance to live?

He already has a family in the US and would probably have a job waiting for him.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#15 (permalink)) Old
8evey8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Evey

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 8th 2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
These are my three

These are the 10:
1. A scientist who is working on a cure for cancer. He speaks no english and is a member of the Communist party. if he is helping for a cure for cancer bring him in who cares if he is a commy. the language barrier is an issue but wat he can give is so much more

4. A highly skilled craftsman who speaks minimal english. He has been promised a job in a furniture factory. He would like to do well so he could bring his family as well. he will b working producing goods that we need.

10. A worker who intends to join his family in the US and has been awaiting admission for 3 years. same answer as the last one.
These three are the only ones that I think can contribute something positive to our economy.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Kyle11 Offline
Designated Informer!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kyle

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 8th 2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:

These are the 10:

Okay so my choice's are a bit off the mainstream and There's a reason to it. First, the 5 year old girl, she has her aunt and is stuck in a situation that for most young girls is a tragedy. Yes she still has family across the border, but is old enough to start learning english, math, social skills, and may in the future to our country good.

The second, a young woman escaping famine. Yes she is young, but she could also learn to be bilingual and a very good translator, starting out small and working up, as long as she knows some English and assuming she can find a place to stay, she makes another great choice because she is willing to work hard and it shows because she has not much left.

The Third of coarse is the author. Why? Because he has a political edge against his own country and he has an influence to others. When Another country sees that we've taken him in and let him express the First amendment maybe he will wright about it and again do good to the American cause, right?

Definitely NOT an easy assignment, but with quick thinking and gut feeling, it is made a little bit easier.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 8th 2009, 07:59 AM

I just want to explain why I didn't choose number 3 as many people seem to be choosing it. This girl is 5 years old, you'd think her brother would have to have been in the US for at least a year, so she probably barely knows him. She has a place to live at this time. If she went to live with her brother he would have no choice but to drop out of school. He'd at least have to take another job to support them both and in order to do that and take care of his sister he'd have to drop out. Placing her with him would probably wreck both of their lives. It would be better to let the brother finish school and then have the sister come over.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#18 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 8th 2009, 10:09 AM

This wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I only had issues with one or two.

These are the 10:
1. A scientist who is working on a cure for cancer. He speaks no english and is a member of the Communist party. If he's going to cure cancer, he'll do it no matter where he is.

2. The wife of a miner who is currently in the US but on strike. They have been seperated for five years. This one was a difficult choice to make. I'm not sure if they have children, which would have made it a definite. However they have been separated five years which probably means she has been trying that long to get into the country, or just about.

3. A 5 year old girl whose older brother is in school in the US. Her parents have just died, she is living with an aunt. Her brother works at a grocery store while he puts himself through college. Her aunt is the better choice, for now. She can come to America later, when her brother has a steady job and isn't in college. A better life is only better when you're going to be provided for. How is he going to afford a babysitter? Does his job provide healthcare for the little girl? Probably not.

4. A highly skilled craftsman who speaks minimal english. He has been promised a job in a furniture factory. He would like to do well so he could bring his family as well. He and his family are still together. All countries have furniture factories--since the number of attempts made to enter the country isn't mentioned, I'll assume this is his first. Good luck, next time.

5. A young woman escaping famine. She is poorly educated and poverty stricken, entrance into the US is her only chance for survival. Unfortunately, programs to save those faced with poverty cannot save everyone. Accepting someone into the country on these grounds doesn't make much sense, to me. We need to eradicate poverty but... /shrug.

6. An internationally know author who has been deported from his home country. He is a political symbol and desired by other countires. Saying no to this man was difficult. However, it doesn't appear he will be a threat to the US if he is not allowed here. Let another country have him. His life isn't in danger, at least not that is mentioned, and he hasn't been separated from anyone.

7. A man escaping the army in his home country because it is involved in a civil war which he oposes. I think this is my most selfish choice, on the list. I wouldn't want Canada to send my brother back to the US for running to escape war and I don't want my country to do that, to other people.

8. A refugee whose life is endangered by the military he is however suffereing from lukemia and has one year to live. I'm an ass, but he's dying. If he were just suffering from lukemia but had a chance of survival, yes. But he IS going to die.

9. A prestigous intellectual and film maker who has been convicted of drug possesion. Mr. Prestige can go to jail in his own country.

10. A worker who intends to join his family in the US and has been awaiting admission for 3 years. Addition to the work force + reuniting family = (Y).

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#19 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 8th 2009, 11:04 AM

These are the 10:

Yes.

Won't work there, why should you work here? No.

Either she'll need lots of attention or she'll be a whiner. Either way, no.

Others are more useful so too bad.

No use: stupid and probably going to be a beggar.

Definately yes.

Oh well, others on the list are more useful.

No point, he'll die anyways.

Sure, let him in.

Wait 3 more years.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Which three would you let into the US? - March 8th 2009, 11:32 AM

Well if he only has a year to live then at least his final year could be lived without fear of being found by the military.

He's already been waiting 3 years and his family are already over there so he'll have a place to live.

I'm not really sure on a 3rd one at the moment.

Closed Thread