TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 12:28 PM

I'm doing my coursework on behaviour in dogs and was really disgusted to find this.

http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/dog.html

I'll admit I'm not a vegetarian but I really don't like the idea of wearing or testing on animals. I know someone's probably going to say 'but you still eat meat' but I eat meat because I like the taste and to get protein as I don't eat a lot of other foods containing protein. I don't see the point in wearing animals when we have perfectly good materials to make clothes out of.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I'm a vampire
Not a n00b

Name: Dylan

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 12:36 PM

That is disturbing. I am a vegetarian and one for animal rights. This kind of stuff really bothers me. I understand that you are not a vegetarian, but I still think it is great of you to believe this wrong. Through certain actions this kind of thing could be brought to an end. all you have to do is believe and have the courage to stand by your decision.

MUSIC = LIFE
  Send a message via AIM to Phoenix Enforcer  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 12:58 PM

We have perfectly good materials to make thing with... likr animal skin. I don't beleive in animal testing on toiletries, but I think it's best to test medication on animals before they do on human. And animal skin is the best material for some thing, like shoes, I can't think of a material as good as leather for shoes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 02:13 PM

they dont care about the animals they test the products on they just want to make sure there products are safe for humans.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 02:19 PM

Animal testing is really really vital, personally I'm all for it so long as it's not done for cosmetic testing or testing things like shampoo which is pointless.

Wearing animal skin I don't have that much of a problem with either, but so long as the animal is killed for another purpose (Eg food) and then the skin is used for clothing rather than being thrown away.

As for the website, yeah that's horrible.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 03:02 PM

Vegetarian lol.

I guess the fur thing bothers me a bit. It's a waste.

FOR animal testing (exception: make up shit), unless you provide some other: affordable testing method, without involving animals & still affective.

Anyone got alternatives?

Last edited by R.K.; March 6th 2009 at 03:10 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 03:49 PM

I do realise that it is necessary to test medicines on animals but I don't like it. I wish there were other ways we could do and hopefully in the future there will be.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Animal testing is really really vital, personally I'm all for it so long as it's not done for cosmetic testing or testing things like shampoo which is pointless.

Wearing animal skin I don't have that much of a problem with either, but so long as the animal is killed for another purpose (Eg food) and then the skin is used for clothing rather than being thrown away.

Seconded, if an animal is to be killed for meat or fuel then it'd be wrong not to use the fur. It's about getting the most efficient use out of the animal so you do not have to kill as many and that's been practised for centuries if not millennia. Unfortunately there was a knee jerk reaction which said all fur was bad instead of killing for fur only or killing the animal humanely.

If animal testing can save a human life then I am for it

to the OP: your title and post seem to differ in meaning

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Seconded, if an animal is to be killed for meat or fuel then it'd be wrong not to use the fur. It's about getting the most efficient use out of the animal so you do not have to kill as many and that's been practised for centuries if not millennia. Unfortunately there was a knee jerk reaction which said all fur was bad instead of killing for fur only or killing the animal humanely.

If animal testing can save a human life then I am for it

Can I just quote instead of writing out the same answers again? Thanks!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 06:51 PM

i couldn't even look through a quater of that without wanting to vomit/cry. It's completely sick, if you ask me. none of these animals needed to die, nobody would've been killed if they'd been left to live their lives in happiness. it makes me want to protect my little doggy more than normal.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Animal Testing - March 6th 2009, 08:00 PM

I say it needs to be done on medicine, because there's no other way. I don't really care about cosmetics, I'd rather not have them tested on animals, but can you make cosmetics safe without animal testing? If so, then sure... you shouldn't use them.

On the fur thing, you might as well use animal fur if you're getting fuel and food out of it. I would truly prefer it to be honest.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: Animal Testing - March 7th 2009, 01:39 AM

That was rather disturbing...

I'm not opposed to fur as long as all of the animal is being used, because humans have relied on animal meats and fur and bone since the beginning of time. There are ways to ensure that none of the animal is wasted. However it's not necessary for the animals to be killed brutally and painfully.

I disagree with hunting as a sport, because for lots of hunters, it's all about the kill, and they never use the animal and leave it to rot. That's a waste.

And some animal testing is necessary for medical purposes... we need testing for research and medical advancement. I disapprove of pointless testing on cosmetics however...

~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~

I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld

Send a message via MSN to WhySoSerious?  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Animal Testing - March 7th 2009, 02:22 AM

That website was sickening. Personally, I don't agree with animal testing. I wish there were other ways however. I definitely don't think that we should have to test things like makeup on animals and I think these testing centers should be closely regulated.

--A

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Animal Testing - March 7th 2009, 02:52 AM

Animal testing is okay if used properly, restricted and only when completely necessary(such as testing for medical reasons and efficiently) We should try to do it as little as possible. As for eating meat, humans and animals have been eating meat for longer back than anyone can know. However, I disagree with the way many get our meat. I've considered going vegetarian before because I'm afraid to eat packaged meat.... maybe I should just take up hunting and get my own meat. There is such a mass production of meat that many producers just try to get as much as possible for as cheap as possible and use steroids to get more from less cows. It's scary and cruel.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Animal Testing - March 7th 2009, 04:02 AM

I'm for animal testing depending on a) the animal being tested and b) what they are testing. If it is for cosmetics, I'm at a debate on that one. If it's for medicine, I support it. As for the website, well to me there is a difference between a dog and a chicken: the dog can be loyal, can be like a best friend, whereas a chicken cannot. If you're going to kill the dog, then you don't treat its meat like a pile of shit or cram the dogs in an inhumane way. You kill it but without causing it so much pain as they do. My answer if they do that: do it back to them, make them feel the pain. This is one of the main reasons I won't torture or harm a dog but I have absolutely no problem making people (koreans or not) suffer and torture them.

If you're going to eat the dog, that's fine but don't leave the meat ontop of a random bird cage or have the other dogs see what happens. This goes with one of the rules I live by: hurt an animal I like (i.e. dogs), and you feel the same amount of pain, in the same areas but for a lot longer, that is, you hurt it for 30 minutes, you will suffer for 30 hours. If after the 30 minutes you killed the dog, the same happens for you, it's only fair. The other option: you kill a family or large amount of dogs, then either you suffer for the total amount doubled, or you and your family/relatives/friends suffer the average length. Then, if the dogs were killed, so are the family and such. That too is morally correct.

But I mean (and this is from the website): "This is another photo of a Phillipine dog being tortured by having his or her forelegs dislocated and tied behind his or her back and having a metal can forced over his or her mouth and nose", is completely unnecessary. That is requiring the "human" to be tortured and see just how those "humans" react.

Call me a hypocrite if you like because I have no problem eating meat of most animals, however, dogs are special. Granted, they're still an animal and what we do to cows and chickens is probably very similar, however, cows and chicken mean nothing to me, dogs do.

Closed Thread