TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: Are you glad smoking is banned
Yes/I would like to see it 26 61.90%
No/I wouldn't like to see it 12 28.57%
Undecided 2 4.76%
Meh/Don't Care 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Smoking Ban - March 6th 2009, 08:38 PM

Well, since it has been about 2 or 3 years since the smoking ban in public places has been in force in the UK do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing? Personally, I'm glad but then I'm a non-smoker. It does mean I can see clearly and do not have to go outside for fresh air (oh the irony). It also means I do not reek of smoke rendering my clothes unusable until they are washed.

Feel free to let this descend into a general debate on smoking/banning of it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Smoking Ban - March 6th 2009, 08:41 PM

I see it as a good thing because i have asthma and smoking makes it hard to breathe..

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Smoking Ban - March 6th 2009, 08:43 PM

I see it as very good thing. Idc what happens in their house (they can take crack for all I care), but when in public, like restaurants, the smoking ban is great.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Smoking Ban - March 6th 2009, 08:50 PM

Nope, I'm not at all pleased about the smoking ban. A much better solution would have been to create smoking and non-smoking pubs, because of the smoking ban many of the pubs in my area have had to close or are in serious financial difficulty. It should have been left up to the buisnesses to decide whether they banned smoking or not. Most of the places in which I would dislike smoking (eg restaurants) had banned smoking already so I see the whole issue as utterly unnecessary.

Similarly the scope of the legislation went way too far, I mean, including some bus shelters and train platforms? What the hell? That's a bit too far. Studies show there is pretty much no harm to people around you in well ventilated areas so they need to think about it a bit more.

Plus it's just not the same without smoking anyway, instead of smelling of smoke which was quite nice pubs now smell of urinal cakes and stale beer.

I don't smoke, so I'm not biased by that.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Smoking Ban - March 6th 2009, 08:54 PM

I think the smoking ban is great! Having smoking and non-smoking areas in restaurants and pubs was pretty much pointless cos the smoke still came over and it still stank. I don't want to be breathing in other peoples cigarette smoke; if they want to smoke they can go outside, i don't see the big deal.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Ban - March 6th 2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Similarly the scope of the legislation went way too far, I mean, including some bus shelters and train platforms? What the hell? That's a bit too far. Studies show there is pretty much no harm to people around you in well ventilated areas so they need to think about it a bit more.
I have to agree it went too far, especially with the signs at every major entrance, it's not banning it at a bus shelter makes a difference anyway people just stand behind and the smoke drifts in...

Quote:
Plus it's just not the same without smoking anyway, instead of smelling of smoke which was quite nice pubs now smell of urinal cakes and stale beer.
None of the pubs I've been in smell particularly bad, perhaps it's a local thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
I think the smoking ban is great! Having smoking and non-smoking areas in restaurants and pubs was pretty much pointless cos the smoke still came over and it still stank. I don't want to be breathing in other peoples cigarette smoke; if they want to smoke they can go outside, i don't see the big deal.
Fick's Law (Flux = Diffusivity * Concentration gradient) describes the rate at which smoke would advance. I can understand going outside and smoking in what many consider to be adverse conditions as not nice

(#7 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Smoking Ban - March 7th 2009, 12:37 AM

I wish all college campuses were smoke free. I've been to two different schools and you have to hold your breath everywhere. Not only does EVERYONE smoke but the smoke just seems to get everywhere. It's horrible, I've been having breathing problems for months.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#8 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Smoking Ban - March 7th 2009, 01:52 AM

I'd support a smoking ban here. I can't stand the way cigarettes smell. I don't care what you do in your house, but I don't want to smell it out and about in public.

--A

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Smoking Ban - March 7th 2009, 03:43 AM

I support smoking bans. I do not smoke, if you do that is fine, just donít do it around me because I have asthma and I rather not die of an asthma attack because you didnít feel like walking ten feet to go smoke outside. It is just courteous to others when you smoke in private or outside. Not everyone is willing to take the risks that others take when smoking such as lung cancer. Like I said it is your body, do with it what you like, just donít do it around me, especially in a crowded room, bar, restaurant or any other public indoor area.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Ban - March 7th 2009, 12:18 PM

I'll all for it, it's better for all of us non-smokers, especially children.
It worns of the dangers right on the packaging anyways.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Smoking Ban - March 7th 2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider*man(girl) View Post
I'll all for it, it's better for all of us non-smokers, especially children.
It worns of the dangers right on the packaging anyways.
They need to be like they are in Canada. They've got pictures and everything of what happens to your lungs when you smoke. That'd ward more smokers away.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Smoking Ban - March 7th 2009, 06:37 PM

In Ottawa, where I grew up, there was a big public debate about this when a waitress, Heather Crowe, got lung cancer. She said she had never smoked in her life, but the restaurant where she worked (a really great restaurant, actually) was always really smoky. Her oncologist did a bunch of tests and it turned out the type of cancer she had was almost identical to the kind of cancer that's linked to smoking. (The story never painted the restaurant owner as the bad guy. He's actually a really good guy and he and Ms. Crowe were friends. He was interviewed a bunch and was clearly geniuinely sorry and had no idea of the effects of 2nd hand smoke).

So smoking in public has been banned in Ottawa for years now...almost 10 I think. I like it. I don't smoke, so it's not an inconvenience to me. I can see how (especially in the winter!) people would hate the inconvenience of having to go outside to smoke but, to be 100% frank, when you start smoking, you know that there are gonna be places where you're not allowed to smoke (all hospitals are non-smoking, so are most office buildings and stores) so you already know you're gonna have to go outside to smoke sometimes.

I can see why they'd want to ban it in bus shelters, though. When I still lived in Ottawa, in the winter you could have ten people crowded into this tiny shelter waiting for a bus and if someone lights up in there...it's hard enough to breathe already with the crowd, but to add smoke to that could cause issues for people.

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Ban - March 7th 2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
They need to be like they are in Canada. They've got pictures and everything of what happens to your lungs when you smoke. That'd ward more smokers away.
We've had them for years in England and they simply don't work

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Smoking Ban - March 7th 2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
We've had them for years in England and they simply don't work
Have they stopped nonsmokers from starting?

(#15 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Smoking Ban - March 8th 2009, 10:22 AM

Smoking has recently been banned in my State, in the US. I live in a small town. Our town is an entirely water-based economy. We have marina's and restaurants/bars, that's literally all in terms of businesses. The bar sides of the restaurants are really suffering right now, and it is honestly because of the smoking ban. We're so close to two other states, one of which does not ban smoking in bars and people are going there, instead. Of course there are the locals and the dedicated, but seriously? It is a bar. Even some non-smokers smoke when they're drinking. If it is the bars CHOICE, then some bars will ban it and some won't. Then customers will be able to make their own choice.

The law in our state allows for business to apply for waivers to the law (that expire in 2011) but our restaurant owners have been trying and aren't having any luck, so I can't imagine how people actually get them.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Smoking Ban - March 8th 2009, 10:28 AM

I think it's a good idea because like said when you go into pubs and restaurants now you aren't walking into a massive cloud of smoke and coming out smelling like it which isn't really nice especially when you are trying to enjoy a meal and all you can smell is the smoke from the person on the next table over.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Pandaloo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Smoking Ban - March 8th 2009, 10:36 AM

Yes most definitely. I hate the smell of smoke and I can't stand it when I'm at work and the customers smell of smoke.

So I'm very glad that I don't have to go out and have people blowing smoke in my face often.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Smoking Ban - March 8th 2009, 12:44 PM

In my town, so many pubs have closed down because of the smoking ban. a lot of people are drinking at home/going to parties where they can smoke and drink, rather than having to go and smoke outside a pub.

It's quite ironic because I do smoke, but i agree with that it is nice to go into a pub and not have the whole place massively smokey, and that everyone with asthma/who don't like the smell etc, can now go to pubs and clubs etc without like choking.

But i do think it went a bit far putting the age up, and banning smoking in bus stops, train stations.
anddd there should be a few more smoking sheds, just so we don't have to stand in the rain.

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Smoking Ban - March 9th 2009, 12:44 AM

It should be down to the owners of the building. It's like I agree that our university should ban smoking in our lecture rooms, hallways, libraries, etc... but the smoking ban also means I couldnt even smoke in a uni accomodation room (one person rooms).

Same with pubs, I think they should be allowed to choose, or to be allowed to have smoking nights that are advertised as that, so those who dont want it, can avoid it that night.

I think banning smoking in outdoor areas like bus stops, train platforms, etc is ridiculas.

Warnings are deterants, to a small extent. But the vast majority of smokers I know are fully aware of the risks... so the pictures dont do much.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Ban - March 9th 2009, 12:47 AM

If businesses were given the choice then none of them would elect to ban smoking and nothing would have changed and I'd be coughing like a madman still. If they didn't get a metaphorical kick up the arse we'd still have the conditions of the Industrial Revolution

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Smoking Ban - March 9th 2009, 01:40 PM

I live in the States, and my college currently has a smoking ban. I think it's a good thing, even though the ban isn't enforced and people still smoke on campus. It does make it a bit easier to go out on campus and be able to breathe now.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Smoking Ban - March 9th 2009, 05:15 PM

I think it's annoying because a lot of places here were already smoke-free minus some places like bars and small restaurants. I think it should be left up for the owners of the businesses to decide. Most buildings went smoke free anyway to help keep the place clean.

Beware of the cats.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
.commers
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Re: Smoking Ban - March 9th 2009, 07:54 PM

I have astama and I smoke,I dont mind the ban but the thig I find is even non smokers hang around the smoking garden and no one complains
it is rediculous to ban it inside a bus shelter with three sides becasue the side that is open is big enough to let people breath freely and openly.
Bars im abit here and there with as its like if you dont want to be around smoke move away,its the same with drunk people if you dont want to be around with them move awayy
i can see the whole health aspect but alot of people binge drink and thats not banned in public places and it can be in very small cases bad for other people aswell

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Smoking Ban - March 10th 2009, 01:02 PM

We have the same policy and California, but people can still smoke in semi-outside places (like the little bus stop shelters).

I like it, since the smell of smoke makes it difficult to breathe for us non-smokers. But I agree that banning smoking in three-sided shelters is kind of ridiculous.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Smoking Ban - March 10th 2009, 01:09 PM

I like the ban in some ways, I don't smell, nor have my lungs filled with tar.
However, I hate it that my friends, and dad etc smoke, and our evening is interrupted when they have to go outside, yes I know its there choice, but it still irks me. Also the smell of pubs now is horrible, I'd rather smell smoke than toilets.

Also, I find it ridiculous... the actual scientific data that suggests smoking is linked to lung cancer, yeah it is a little, but passive smoking? Barely at all. It only takes 2 out of one hundred people to get cancer for something to be carcogenic now. So people saying they don't want to get cancer from people smoking near them, you're fine, the chances of it happening are very slim, you'd probably be more likely to get cancer from deoderant, which, guess what, is also carocgenic.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Smoking Ban - March 10th 2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyheartbeat View Post
I like the ban in some ways, I don't smell, nor have my lungs filled with tar.
However, I hate it that my friends, and dad etc smoke, and our evening is interrupted when they have to go outside, yes I know its there choice, but it still irks me. Also the smell of pubs now is horrible, I'd rather smell smoke than toilets.

Also, I find it ridiculous... the actual scientific data that suggests smoking is linked to lung cancer, yeah it is a little, but passive smoking? Barely at all. It only takes 2 out of one hundred people to get cancer for something to be carcogenic now. So people saying they don't want to get cancer from people smoking near them, you're fine, the chances of it happening are very slim, you'd probably be more likely to get cancer from deoderant, which, guess what, is also carocgenic.
I agree with you for the most part, but what about asthmatics, young children, and people with health problems?

Do you have a source to the study of carcinogens in deoderant? I'm interested.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Smoking Ban - March 10th 2009, 01:37 PM

Sorry, most of my knowledge to do with carcinogens comes from debates with lecturers and students in my university. So I don't actually have a source... which makes me sound less believable, but I guarantee its fact.
As with the people with health problems, yes smoking does not help, it hinders with asthma, and young children shouldn't be in pubs anyway

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Ban - March 10th 2009, 01:40 PM

I think the bans a good thing. We have the right to not get ill due to people smoking around us.
You can't really blame banning smoking for ruining businesses, because as they don't attract smokers, they do attract non-smokers, so I don't really think you can blame juse the smoking ban. There are alot of other reasons aswell, like the price of alcohol being raised all the time.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Smoking Ban - March 10th 2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post

They've recently started putting pictures on cigarette packets here too. Some of them are a little too far to be honest though. There's one with what looks like a heroin injection on it, saying that smoking is highly addictive. Yes, it's addictive. But in the same league as heroin? Hardly. I think it's gone too far.

As a smoker I may be biased, but I don't agree with the smoking ban. Fair enough non-smokers shouldn't have to be around it, but why make someone feel guilty for having a cigarette? Like Jack said in his post, a lot of the pubs in our area have closed because people can do more in their own home. It's old people that I feel sorry for though. Older people are more likely to catch colds and get ill etc, and being made to go outside in the middle of winter for a cigarette, something that they enjoy, isn't fair in my opinion. Not when other things could have been done to try and make everyone happy. I think instead of the ban there should be different areas for people who want to smoke and people who don't. Like what they used to have in restaurants; a smoking area, and a non-smoking area.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
CoffeeAddict Offline
legen..wait for it..DARY
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Smoking Ban - March 11th 2009, 12:52 AM

In Australia smoking is banned in pubs and whatnot, and even though I'm a smoker (who is trying to quit lol) I still think it's a good idea. I try not to smoke in front of other non smokers. Most places these days have allocated smoking areas outside anyways, so I don't see the big deal when other smokers get all cranky about it

Who do you carry that torch for, my young man?
Do you believe in anything?
Or do you carry it around just to burn things down?

Meet me tonight on the turnpike my darling,
where we believe in everything.
If we sweat all these debts then we're sure to drown,
so let's strap ourselves up to this engine now
with our God who we found laying under the back seat.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Smoking Ban - March 11th 2009, 01:12 PM

I don't particularly like the ban...I do smoke, but like not even on a weekly basis.
I do support it in places like restaraunts and to some extent bars/clubs, but I think you should be allowed to smoke in pubs. Banning it in shisha bars is also a silly idea, the whole point of them is that you go to smoke shisha...now you have to lug the pipe outside???
I think it would be a better idea to have a partial ban, so bann it in resteraunts and bars/clubs. It's a British thing to go to the pub for a beer and a smoke, and I think pubs should be allowed to choose whether they keep this up or not. And as for shisha bars, like I said the whole point is that you go to smoke, if you don't like it go to a normal bar?!

(#32 (permalink)) Old
New Username: Mindsend
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Smoking Ban - March 12th 2009, 03:32 AM

I voted yes. But here's the kicker; I am a smoker myself.
With the reason I voted what I did a bit vague to me, I, for some reason, think that maybe if there was a ban on smoking maybe it would help me kick this nasty habit. I've tried so hard to quit and to fail at every attempt seems to make it seem more hopeless for me to stop.

Our lives are made in these small hours,

These little wonders,
These twists & turns of fate

Time falls away, but these small hours,
These small hours still remain

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Ban - March 12th 2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiciansasssistant View Post
I don't particularly like the ban...I do smoke, but like not even on a weekly basis.
I do support it in places like restaraunts and to some extent bars/clubs, but I think you should be allowed to smoke in pubs. Banning it in shisha bars is also a silly idea, the whole point of them is that you go to smoke shisha...now you have to lug the pipe outside???
I think it would be a better idea to have a partial ban, so bann it in resteraunts and bars/clubs. It's a British thing to go to the pub for a beer and a smoke, and I think pubs should be allowed to choose whether they keep this up or not. And as for shisha bars, like I said the whole point is that you go to smoke, if you don't like it go to a normal bar?!
I've said this before but it seems I need to repeat myself; the government needed to intervene, if businesses had been able to choose then very few would have banned smoking and the status quo - with the inherent public health issues - would have been maintained. It happened right up until the Great Stink in the 1800s and even the clean air act 1952 met opposition but nobody can deny they are for the greater good

No, the point of a bar is to drink alcoholic beverages and many bars have beer gardens for anyone who wants to smoke.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
urgbogdurgbog Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ryan

Re: Smoking Ban - March 13th 2009, 01:47 AM

i think a ban is too far, it should be up to private institutions to choose whether or not they would like to allow it.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Smoking Ban - March 13th 2009, 04:32 AM

I live in the States, near Jessie, and she already explained how our State's smoking ban works.
Buuut, that being said, I think it's a good thing. I choose not to smoke so I don't want to have to breathe in smoke when I decide to go out to a restaurant or such. My non-smoking isn't harming anyone but second hand smoke *does* harm me. So go outside if you want to smoke. I don't see the big deal.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Ban - March 14th 2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittneyNicole View Post
I live in the States, near Jessie, and she already explained how our State's smoking ban works.
Buuut, that being said, I think it's a good thing. I choose not to smoke so I don't want to have to breathe in smoke when I decide to go out to a restaurant or such. My non-smoking isn't harming anyone but second hand smoke *does* harm me. So go outside if you want to smoke. I don't see the big deal.
I agree, actions have consequences so if you choose to smoke the consequence is having to go outside

Quote:
i think a ban is too far, it should be up to private institutions to choose whether or not they would like to allow it.
We'd get nowhere if we let business decide everything. There would still be slavery and you can forget the New Deal of the 30s. State intervention is required for progress against big business. Not to mention many pubs have a beer garden where it is legal to smoke

(#37 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Ban - March 14th 2009, 07:42 PM

I think it's a good thing. I know quite a few smokers who have quit just because they couldn't be bother with the whole standing out side the door to smoke thing and what not.

But I also know people who refuse to go to certain places 'cause they can't smoke, which can't be good for businesses. =/

Closed Thread