TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 13th 2011, 09:14 PM

This is a news story I read today:
http://www.whiotv.com/news/27886932/detail.html

My opinion is that the failure of the chaperones is unacceptable, and the fact that the student who told her parent is being punished when she has done no wrongdoing is blatantly wrong.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 13th 2011, 10:06 PM

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the student was punished for not telling the chaperones that they should be doing their job instead of watching a movie, and then for bringing it to light at a later date?

The lack of logic school boards are capable of demonstrating really knows no bounds, to say nothing of how undermined their whole reporting process now is thanks to that precedent. Morons.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .

(#3 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 13th 2011, 10:22 PM

Uhh what?

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. She gets punished because the chaperones weren't, you know, chaperoning?

Poor kid, that's really unfair. I can't imagine how they came to the conclusion that they should punish her. Unbelievable.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: Casey

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 13th 2011, 10:53 PM

Apparently the lack of logic and reason isn't limited to individuals. It's a shared anti-talent among entire school boards and disciplinary committees.

I faced it
A life wasted
I'm never going back again

Having tasted
A life wasted

I escaped it
A life wasted

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 14th 2011, 05:04 AM

This is crazy.
The chaperones should have been chaperoning and in my opinion, the 8th grade did the right thing by reporting it.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 14th 2011, 05:47 AM

Yes, she should have told them when it happened, but she's a kid. Why should she have to tell adults how to chaperone teenagers? It's not right that she is being punished. And maybe I'm crazy, but 8th grade Prom? Isn't that just another dance? O.o

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 14th 2011, 06:05 AM

Surely there must have been some sounds being made from the two having sex or sounds from other students. At the very least, one of the chaperons could have turned around in their seat to make sure all as well at the back of the bus. If not them, the bus driver has a rear view mirror they are meant to use. If anything, the bus driver should be getting in trouble, the kids having sex should be in trouble and the chaperons should be told they may not be wanted for chaperoning in the future.

An 8th grade prom? It's 8th grade for fuck sakes, why do they need a prom? Yes it's nice they're going to high-school but a prom for that seems silly.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Serene Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 14th 2011, 06:39 AM

I had an 8th Grade Prom, lol

9 Adults and not one of them see's full on intercourse going on in the bus, I honestly don't see how that's possible.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 14th 2011, 09:48 AM

This is stupid.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youre the diamonds, youre the pearls
Lets make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Its your future, its your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Lets make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 14th 2011, 07:58 PM

This is stupid. The 8th grader thought they were doing right, but now they're being punished for it? Guess that's going to teach him/her to keep their mouth shut next time huh?

The chaperones should have been doing exactly what they're meant to do; watching the kids.

(I also believe that an 8th grade prom is ridiculous, but our 'end of year dance' was called a Dinner Dance, so it would be just another term for that)

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Smitten

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 15th 2011, 12:21 AM

-facepalm-
epic American logic.

You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jayme

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 15th 2011, 02:40 AM

thats so crazy wrong! poor kid :/

"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering." -Ida Scott Taylor

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 15th 2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
-facepalm-
epic American logic.
I facepalm at these comments too.

How you just speak about the topic at hand and not insult my country in the process? I'd appreciate it.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 15th 2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
This is crazy.
The chaperones should have been chaperoning and in my opinion, the 8th grade did the right thing by reporting it.
The chaperones should be chaperoned themselves.

If you've got some spare time, read this:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-s...-d/#post631229

But don't if you're easily triggered. If you're not easily triggered then go ahead.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
AboutAGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Allison

Angry Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 15th 2011, 10:56 PM

This is ludicrous.

I simply cannot believe that they would ever punish a young girl for telling them what THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE! I mean, honestly, what did she do wrong? She reported something a day late because she was shaken-up by what she had witnessed, not to mention embarrassed!

What kind of spineless creature could take away the most important social event of this young-girl's lifetime? I mean, honestly! I'm so furious with this entire school at the moment. It's disgusting. They'd better consider themselves amazingly lucky that I live no where near them right now, I would definitely give them a piece of my mind and organize a number of community protests!

The poor thing...

I may not be homecoming queen,
The valedictorian,
The star of the scene.

But when this high school thing is done.
I'll be something better than anyone,
I'll be what no one else can be.
A shooting star for all to see.
That all along I've been becoming me.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 15th 2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutAGirl View Post

What kind of spineless creature could take away the most important social event of this young-girl's lifetime? I mean, honestly! I'm so furious with this entire school at the moment. It's disgusting. They'd better consider themselves amazingly lucky that I live no where near them right now, I would definitely give them a piece of my mind and organize a number of community protests!
That is ludicrous. An 8th grade prom isn't the most important social event of a girl's lifetime. Do you think the grade 12 prom is a less important social event or even attaining her dream job? According to you, none of that is anywhere near as important as a small party from passing grade 8. Before you continue spouting nonsense, just think about this for a second. If the grade 8 prom is the most important social event in a girl's lifetime, explain why.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
AboutAGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Allison

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 15th 2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
That is ludicrous. An 8th grade prom isn't the most important social event of a girl's lifetime. Do you think the grade 12 prom is a less important social event or even attaining her dream job? According to you, none of that is anywhere near as important as a small party from passing grade 8. Before you continue spouting nonsense, just think about this for a second. If the grade 8 prom is the most important social event in a girl's lifetime, explain why.
No, I'm not saying that it's more important than her first child, her dream-job or her marriage, I'm saying that up to this point in her lifetime- this is the most important event. When you're in middle school, there seems like there's no social event greater than the eighth-grade dance and the coming-of-age that it includes. It's the grand send-off to high school- the celebration of making it to the final points of childhood. In her school, it is the senior prom, considering it only goes up to eighth grade!

I mean, this is what she's had to have been contemplating since the beginning of the year- this is where everyone will be. This is going to be the grand event that will forever be remembered as the last big bash before leaving behind that school, closing that chapter in their life. It's ridiculous that they'd deprive an innocent girl of an experience like that.

I may not be homecoming queen,
The valedictorian,
The star of the scene.

But when this high school thing is done.
I'll be something better than anyone,
I'll be what no one else can be.
A shooting star for all to see.
That all along I've been becoming me.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 16th 2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutAGirl View Post
No, I'm not saying that it's more important than her first child, her dream-job or her marriage, I'm saying that up to this point in her lifetime- this is the most important event. When you're in middle school, there seems like there's no social event greater than the eighth-grade dance and the coming-of-age that it includes. It's the grand send-off to high school- the celebration of making it to the final points of childhood. In her school, it is the senior prom, considering it only goes up to eighth grade!

I mean, this is what she's had to have been contemplating since the beginning of the year- this is where everyone will be. This is going to be the grand event that will forever be remembered as the last big bash before leaving behind that school, closing that chapter in their life. It's ridiculous that they'd deprive an innocent girl of an experience like that.
You're pressing your views onto what she believes. Perhaps it is the most important social event in your life thus far but it need not necessarily be hers.

I'm biased then because the school I went to had pretty much nothing for celebrating entry into high-school. Granted, our school went from kindergarten to grade 12. The school I went to clearly enforced the idea that prom is for grade 12 graduates, not for any other grade. It may make her departure from that school tainted but if she has other good memories, they can serve to make the school positive. If she has good positive memories from her time at the school, I find it sad that this one silly event would tarnish all of them and make her dislike her time at that school. It may be the last grand event but it shouldn't be the thing that defines her view on her experience at that school.

The thing you're forgetting is in the school's eyes, she's not an innocent girl, she's at fault. I consider the school's view on this to be horseshit because it serves as side-stepping those who are truly at fault, the adults. If they want to punish this one girl, they should be fair and punish all of the grade 8 students on the bus, however, that would generate a protest, something the school doesn't want.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Smitten

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 17th 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
I facepalm at these comments too.

How you just speak about the topic at hand and not insult my country in the process? I'd appreciate it.
I live at the Jersey Shore. I think I have a legitimate right to facepalm at America.

You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 17th 2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post

I live at the Jersey Shore. I think I have a legitimate right to facepalm at America.
I don't live very far, and I still don't see your point.

Does the shore have its fair share of idiots? I imagine so, but I've also met some pretty cool and smart people from there. And does this place represent the 300 million+ people in America? I don't think so.

You find dumb people everywhere in the world, not just America. You associating this particular flawed logic as "American" is completely uncalled for and makes you sound like an ignorant kid.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Far Offline
You're not alone.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matthew

Re: Honor Roll 8th Grader Punished For Reporting Students Having Intercourse On Bus - May 17th 2011, 05:04 AM

Since when are 8th graders having sex? And since when was sex actually possible on a school bus? I'd be a bit.. embarrassed to whip my junk out and get off, not to mention the noise would alert every living thing within a 50mi radius.
  Send a message via MSN to Far Send a message via Skype™ to Far 
Closed Thread