TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

The most horrific crime - March 10th 2009, 09:48 PM

In another thread, the topic of what the absolute worst crime a person could commit was brought up. Suggestions were mostly rape and murder. On the one hand, people suggested that rape is worse, because of how traumatizing it is to the victim, whereas with murder, there's no trauma for the victim afterwards; they're dead. I personally find murder to be a worse crime, because when you're raped, there's at least the possibility of moving on with your life; it's hard as hell, requires a lot of resources and therapy, and at times can seem damn near impossible, but there is the possibility of piecing your life together. But when you're murdered...that's it. You're life is done. There's no possibility for recovery, no moving on and surviving.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: The most horrific crime - March 10th 2009, 09:52 PM

I agree with you, i think murder is definitely the worst crime. Rape victims, although very traumatized, still have their life, unlike murder victims.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FromTheAshes Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lils

Re: The most horrific crime - March 10th 2009, 10:35 PM

*SECOND PARAGRAPH MAY BE TRIGGERING*

I don't think either is worse. Yes, a murder victim has lost their life while a rape victim has the chance to heal from their experiences. Equally, murder leaves behind family and friends who have to deal with knowing their loved ones life was ended that way. Rape, too, can lead to family and friends of the victim having to come to terms with what happened to them - and while yes their loved one is still alive, at times they may seem like a completely different person, may even wish they had not survived.

Both crimes are terrible. But I don't think that one is 'worse' than the other, I don't think that one obviously causes more pain than the other. They are both horrific. But whether a rape will cause more pain in one case than a murder will depend on how the victim and the victim's loved ones respond, on an individual basis, and will also depend on the details of the crime - whether it's quick or drawn out, whether the victim knew their attacker, whether they saw the crime coming or were surprised by it, and any number of other things. So I don't believe one is worse than the other or that they're necessarily comparable.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: The most horrific crime - March 10th 2009, 10:55 PM

I really don't know which I think is worse.
Murder, doesn't just affect the victim. It affects everyone who knew the victim and then their families and their families. Murder takes a life and destroys SO many.
But rape is super devastating to the victim and they live with the crime for the rest of their lives.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 04:15 AM

I think it entirely depends on the person it is.
Me, I would rather be murdered than raped. But that is my own opinion, and I understand others would feel differently.

But then, I can't tell you why, but I think rapists, if truly traumatic full blown rapist, should be sent to death row, and I don't always think this of murderers. Kind of odd.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 04:22 AM

I would say rape because you have to live with the memory till the day you die.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 05:11 AM

Are there any other crimes you would qualify as 'the worst' or 'one of the worst'? Abuse, for example? Acts of terrorism?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#8 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 06:05 AM

I liked my post in the other thread. Did that one close itself, or something? Anyways..

I think that theft is the worst crime of all.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 06:10 AM

Why theft Jessie? And in every case, or is it on an individual basis?

-Robert Frost

(#10 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
Why theft Jessie? And in every case, or is it on an individual basis?
Theft is taking something, anything, from a person. It is taking something that is not rightfully theirs to take. Whether it is an object or not does not matter.

Rape and abuse are forms of theft. An abuser has stolen, from their victim, the feeling of safety and a sense of ownership over one's own body. Murder is a type of theft. A murder steals life. Torture is a form of theft. A person who tortures has stolen the right to fair trial, and more. And so on.

I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be kind

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 06:14 AM

That makes sense.

What about if a mother has kids and they're starving? Is it okay to steal bread from a store or something of that sort? (Just curious, we were talking about this in class )

-Robert Frost

(#12 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
That makes sense.

What about if a mother has kids and they're starving? Is it okay to steal bread from a store or something of that sort? (Just curious, we were talking about this in class )
Not in any country where there are programs which offer her assistance.

The honest man would beg for food before he stole it.

Also parents should not have children if they cannot provide for them.

I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be kind

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 06:21 AM

What if they could provide for them, and with our economy no longer can?
While, there are other assisted programs for food and so forth, I do know that our food place around here keeps running out. Not enough people have the means to donate, and honestly, even if I'm generalizing, some of the people who have enough to donate, simply don't.

-Robert Frost

(#14 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
What if they could provide for them, and with our economy no longer can?
While, there are other assisted programs for food and so forth, I do know that our food place around here keeps running out. Not enough people have the means to donate, and honestly, even if I'm generalizing, some of the people who have enough to donate, simply don't.
If PersonA cannot afford to donate, is it okay for PersonB to steal from him? If PersonC can afford to donate, isn't it his right to not do so? It would be theft--taking something that does not belong to you--if you stole from PersonA or PersonC. How is it justifiable to steal from one, and not the other? Because one can afford to donate and doesn't? So his being selfish and greedy means it is okay for others to do the same?

I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be kind

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 07:19 AM

I say repeated torture, rape and murder (of loved ones while the victim is forced to watch). Rape can also be done to the loved ones as the victim is tied up, helpless and unable to move, all they can do is scream and scream but because of a good location on the killer's part, it's of no use. The victim can also be raped, further enhancing their pain. Torture can comprise of numerous methods, some of them would result in a painful death, such as China's old "ling chi" (think that's spelt right). It's where the criminal is held up, parts of the skin are randomly cut off, then the wrists and ankles are cut off. Then, the forarms and shins are cut off. Then the shoulders to thighs are cut off. The person becomes a headless lump. To end it, they are stabbed once in the heart then beheaded. Another torture method is the very painful, Brazen Bull. Originally, a large iron pot is heated from the outside and the person is thrown inside and cannot escape. The term "brazen bull" came from when pipes were inserted into the iron pot to make the victim's screams sound like a bull's.

Other torture methods could comprise of cutting off one's fingers or toes and forcing them to eat them, or some methods previous serial killers adopted, such as Jeffrey Dahmer's method of using a powerdrill to someone's prefrontal lobe in order to give them a crude lobotomy.

Personally, my fantasies would be with various types of torture, but if you want to make it worse, rape and family members can be involved. So, torture and rape the victim, clean their wounds, tie them tightly. Do the same for family members, except they die while the victim watches. Then, you go back over and resume the torture and rape on the victim, and if you are brave enough or foolish enough, you let them go.

Most people would be haunted by what happens, although some wouldn't, such as a psychopath who has no remorse, fear, etc...., they'd definately feel all the pain but wouldn't have any post-trauma.

Acts of terrorism would depend. If torture is involved, maybe, it will depend on the techniques used, the skills of the person doing the torture and how long the torture lasts.

Abuse I don't think so, unless it is torture and rape. If it's simple punching the kid around, then no. That may be bad in society but it won't be as bad compared to other crimes.

I list torture and rape together because both are very good at causing mental and physical damage, so together, they'd be rather brutal. Using the loved ones is meant only to cause more mental damage to the main victim.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 07:40 AM

Murder I think is the worst of all. For while the victim feels no lasting pain, their friends and family do because of the way they had their life ended.

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Lee Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lee Awesome

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 07:51 AM

I agree with Jessie on the idea of theft. However I do want to point out something here.

A lot of you consider rape to only affect the victim. It doesn't, it affects their families, friends, partners and even future children too.

Because of rape I hold alot back from my family - which affects my relationship with them.

I have trouble with friends because of some things they comment on that now effect me differently than before my rape.

Relationship wise? I find it very very difficult to be with someone physically. I also now find it hard to relate to people that lead a similar lifestyle to that of the person who assaulted me.

As for children, though this is not what has occured with me, but a child can be affected if they were the result of rape.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
A lot of you consider rape to only affect the victim. It doesn't, it affects their families, friends, partners and even future children too.

Because of rape I hold alot back from my family - which affects my relationship with them.

I have trouble with friends because of some things they comment on that now effect me differently than before my rape.

Relationship wise? I find it very very difficult to be with someone physically. I also now find it hard to relate to people that lead a similar lifestyle to that of the person who assaulted me.

As for children, though this is not what has occured with me, but a child can be affected if they were the result of rape.
This can be argued for murder, torture, theft, rape (as you've already done), and I'll go as far to say, most other crimes. In that sense, torture has the same general effects as rape or theft, which makes neither of them nor the other crimes the "worst crime" if they all do the same damages.

The differences though are to the degrees of damage. Someone raped you, yippee, but if someone tortured you (and no, I don't consider rape to be torture unless they actually do torture and rape you), there would be physical and interpersonal and intrapersonal issues. I'm not sure with you if you are trying to use this example both as proof and/or an attempt to get some sympathy. If you're hoping for sympathy, none is happening.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Lee Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lee Awesome

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 09:32 AM

Umm. No. It's just that I was using it as an example so people couldn't go "Oh, that can't be right".

And, I actually found your assumption extremely offensive. Plus, I wasn't trying to say it wasn't happening in other crimes either. I was pointing out people weren't realising that rape doesn't just hurt the raped.

Ugh. You make me extremely upset.

Edit: If you or any other have any further comment to make to my posts, please PM me rather than post it in this thread.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 11:02 AM

Otay, guys, these are very sensitive topics for many of us, so please, let's make sure we're being respectful to everyone.

Yeah, that was pretty much the main point of my post, but to tack on my opinion at the end of it, I agree with Jessie's idea of theft of any sort being the worst crime. That groups together pretty much crime in general, so yeah, I'm going to go with that. I also agree with the idea that victims of any sort of crime will be affected [obviously], but that their families and friends may also indirectly be affected.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
If PersonA cannot afford to donate, is it okay for PersonB to steal from him? If PersonC can afford to donate, isn't it his right to not do so? It would be theft--taking something that does not belong to you--if you stole from PersonA or PersonC. How is it justifiable to steal from one, and not the other? Because one can afford to donate and doesn't? So his being selfish and greedy means it is okay for others to do the same?
Okay, I have to reply to this because.. well. Because I can.

No, if PersonA cannot afford to donate, then no, PersonB should not steal from him. Because, if PersonA can not afford to donate in the first place, then that doesn't make sense to steal from them, since my original point was to try and help everyone overal.
And if PersonC can afford to donate, it's his right I suppose you could say, but honestly, I personally think, that if you have the means to donate, you shouldn't give up your whole life savings, but especially in America, you should do what you can to help. Though it's not their responsibility, to me, morally, it would be the right thing to do for PersonC to donate.

Stealing from PersonC, stealing something insignificant to them, to keep alive I think is okay. The chances that PersonC won't even notice, is probably fairly high (In the case I'm speaking of at least). While if you're stealing from PersonB, then you're putting them in the same position as PersonA, meaning the whole idea would be pointless, because it would decline our society as a whole.

I'm going to hope that all made sense.

-Robert Frost

(#22 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The most horrific crime - March 11th 2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Umm. No. It's just that I was using it as an example so people couldn't go "Oh, that can't be right".

And, I actually found your assumption extremely offensive. Plus, I wasn't trying to say it wasn't happening in other crimes either. I was pointing out people weren't realising that rape doesn't just hurt the raped.

Ugh. You make me extremely upset.

Edit: If you or any other have any further comment to make to my posts, please PM me rather than post it in this thread.
First off, there is a triggering label at the start of this thread, so it's a giant red flag showing something may upset you. Second, I will continue to post on the threads regardless if it makes you happy or sad, however, if I have a specific issue concering you and not your posts, then I will PM you. Seeing as how I don't, then there's no need to.

You appear to have misinterpreted some of it. I never said nor implied that you said it isn't happening in other crimes. And I agree, rape among other crimes, hurt physically and mentally, and others.

Closed Thread