TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Exclamation Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 07:42 PM

Since there was a thread for he atheist one.
What do you people think of the Christian ads?

Here are the main three out now:
"There IS a God, BELIEVE. Don't worry and enjoy your life"
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 53.1 "
"There definitely is a God. Now join the christian Party & enjoy your life."

PS: If you have seen more Christian ads, post them here too!

Since we are on this topic:

Quote:

Christian party advert draws more than 1,000 complaints

The advertising watchdog has decided not to launch a formal investigation into a controversial advertisement from the Christian party proclaiming that "there is definitely a God", even though it has become one of the four most criticised adverts of all time.

The advertisement was unveiled by the party last month in response to the British Humanist Association's bus adverts, which state: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." The Christian party's advert – displayed on 50 London buses – carries the slogan: "There definitely is a God. So join the Christian party and enjoy your life."

Figures from the Advertising Standards Authority reveal that the advertisement has so far attracted 1,045 complaints – and rising – making it the fourth most complained about advert since the ASA's records began. But it has decided not to launch an investigation because the poster is deemed to be 'electioneering material', and falls outside the remit of its codes of practice.

The ASA says it has been deluged with complaints since the beginning of the year, indicating the extent to which advertising has become the latest battleground between conflicting ideologies. Last month the Christian party's London headquarters were vandalised in an attack which police believe was a religious hate crime.

A spokesman for the ASA said today: "We will not be investigating the Christian party advert. We do not play the numbers game, it is about measuring the complaints against the advertising codes and judging whether or not there appear to be a problem under the rules." He said the Christian party ad was not investigated because the primary purpose of the poster was to promote the party.

"The advert was electioneering material as defined by clause 12.1 and therefore not subject to the code." The clauses states: "Any advertisement or direct marketing communication, whenever published or distributed, whose principal function is to influence voters in local, regional, national or international elections or referendums is exempt from the Code."[so you can say whatever you want during political ads?]

In January the ASA concluded that the aetheist "There's probably no God" bus ad campaign by the British Humanist Association did not breach the current advertising code and again decided not to launch an investigation.

That advert attracted 326 complaints, some complaining that the ad was offensive and denigratory to people of faith. Others challenged whether the advert was misleading because the advertiser would not be able to substantiate its claim that God "probably" does not exist. The ASA council concluded that the ad was an expression of the advertiser's opinion and that the claims in it were not capable of objective substantiation. Although it acknowledged that the content of the ad would be at odds with the beliefs of many, it concluded that it was unlikely to mislead or to cause serious or widespread offence.

People complaining about the Christian party advert believe the claim "there definitely is a God" is misleading because it cannot be substantiated, while some individuals have also objected that the advert is offensive to atheists. But the ASA spokesman said that even if the advert had fallen within the remit of its code, it was unlikely it would have investigated because of its decision not to investigate the aetheist bus campaign. The codes are being reviewed to streamline them and a public consultation is expected to be launched before the end of the month.

The ASA has also decided not to investigate two other advertising campaigns of a similar nature. An advertisement from the Russian Orthodox Church that stated "There IS a God, BELIEVE. Don't worry and enjoy your life" was, the ASA council considered, a reflection of the opinion of the advertisers and unlikely to mislead readers.

Similarly, the Trinitarian Bible Society's ad that claimed "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 53.1 " generated complaints that it was offensive and was insulting to atheists and non-Christians. Some also objected that the ad was misleading because it implied that God exists.

Last edited by R.K.; March 11th 2009 at 07:48 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
"There definitely is a God. So join the Christian party and enjoy your life."
This is unacceptable unless they can prove there is a God. Just like beer which needs to prove any claim it makes so should this. Religion is far more dangerous and endemic than beer anyway.

I'd hate them to be on any busses, even if it meant withdrawing the atheist ones

Quote:
was misleading because the advertiser would not be able to substantiate its claim that God "probably" does not exist.
Gordon Bennett! I don't know if they're just major idiots and/or extremely deluded. Believing in God is pretty delusional to start with

(#3 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
This is unacceptable unless they can prove there is a God. Just like beer which needs to prove any claim it makes so should this. Religion is far more dangerous and endemic than beer anyway.

I'd hate them to be on any busses, even if it meant withdrawing the atheist ones

Gordon Bennett! I don't know if they're just major idiots and/or extremely deluded. Believing in God is pretty delusional to start with
Read the article below: apparently, they don't have to prove it, since it's a "political" ad. Though funny how the attack on the HQ was a "religious" hate crime...

Last edited by R.K.; March 11th 2009 at 07:54 PM.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K. View Post
Read the article below. apparently, they don;t have to prove it, since it's a "political" ad.
-facepalm-
Anyone can see that it's just a front

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
-facepalm-
Anyone can see that it's just a front
The Christian Party is a genuine political party, and their platform is based on the establishment of a Christian theocracy. For them, therefore, there is no line drawn between politics and religion, and there is no difference between a statement of Christian faith and a political advertisement. Luckily for everyone, though, they're even less popular than the BNP.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 08:50 PM

Meh the adverts kind of annoy me. It's not that I don't believe in God, I sort of do. But they took the Atheists ones WAY too seriously. Christians advertise their faith outside churches all the time, the Atheists make some bus adverts and they get all cranky. Seriously, they all need to chill out; an advert on a bus does NOT prove or disprove God's existence.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Des

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Believing in God is pretty delusional to start with
I'd like to say this is a bit insulting :/ Just because someone believes in God, that does not make them delusional. If you want to go that way, the same can be applied to every religion and every non-religion. For some you would be the delusional one for NOT believing in God.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 09:49 PM

Oh dear. I wouldn't appreciate having religion shoved in my face every time i catch the bus into town. What do i think about the Christian bus campaign? Not much. Do i care what they are trying to say? No, not really.

Why can't they just advertise kinder buenos on buses then everyone would be happy. :]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 09:54 PM

I'm trying to find something positive from those signs, but I just can't at the moment. They are saying there definitely is a God, which from what I understand can't technically be proven, and that people who don't believe are fools for not doing so. Then it says to enjoy your life after that.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 11:02 PM

To be honest, it doesn't bother me if this is on the side of a bus or not. I could care less.

With that being said, I've never ridden public transportation in my life before and could probably count the number of buses I've seen (on brief trips to the city) on my hands.

--A

(#11 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
To be honest, it doesn't bother me if this is on the side of a bus or not. I could care less.

With that being said, I've never ridden public transportation in my life before and could probably count the number of buses I've seen (on brief trips to the city) on my hands.
Are you serious???

(#12 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 11:16 PM

Saaame... I mean I dont normally even read whats on the side of buses, and if people have nothing better to do than complain about an advert... on a bus! then they really need to sort it out...

Also to some extent, saying there is a God, is just as bad as saying there isn't a God, and then those who want proof, they could be doing more research and more to prove their point rather than just saying prove it, to be honest if you are still at that point, why are you complaining? Some people have made up their mind, and they're doing as they please with what they know, while other people just blatantly blaspheme, insulting what some people DO believe..

I AM a Christian and I DO believe in God, but I've made up my mind... But whether it was an atheist, or anyone from any religion spreading their views on a bus... to be honest, it wouldn't phase me :L.

Sorry this is just my point of view... You'll probably all disagree :L

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Also to some extent, saying there is a God, is just as bad as saying there isn't a God, and then those who want proof, they could be doing more research and more to prove their point rather than just saying prove it, to be honest if you are still at that point, why are you complaining? Some people have made up their mind, and they're doing as they please with what they know, while other people just blatantly blaspheme...
This is a different situation than you just proclaiming there is a God.

THIS IS AN AD.
Ads have certain "truthfulness" standards. Like you can't make up complete poop or say whatever you want to promote your product.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 11th 2009, 11:36 PM

I'm not sure what the atheist bus campaign was like, but surely that was just as 'bad'... I can understand what your saying, but some people find someone saying 'there is no God' to be very offensive...

Not many ads take the side of saying were right, your wrong, but with an ad like that there was always going to be controversy, but I guess their reasoning was the atheists have had their view, why cant Christians?

I don't know all the ins and outs of advertising laws, but the fact the ASA is not going to investigate it, one can assume there is nothing majorly wrong with their campaign, and its all well above board, whether it be a legal loophole or not.

Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
The Christian Party is a genuine political party, and their platform is based on the establishment of a Christian theocracy. For them, therefore, there is no line drawn between politics and religion, and there is no difference between a statement of Christian faith and a political advertisement. Luckily for everyone, though, they're even less popular than the BNP.
In that case I would vote for BNP long before the Christian Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictionByNature View Post
I'd like to say this is a bit insulting :/ Just because someone believes in God, that does not make them delusional. If you want to go that way, the same can be applied to every religion and every non-religion. For some you would be the delusional one for NOT believing in God.
Hearing voices which are not there is one of the diagnostic criteria for multiple personality disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
I'm not sure what the atheist bus campaign was like, but surely that was just as 'bad'... I can understand what your saying, but some people find someone saying 'there is no God' to be very offensive...
Except they're saying "There is probably no God", like carlsberg say theirs is probably the best beer.

*the next sentence could be very triggering, especially to New Yorkers for it references 9/11 and is thus whited out*

To be honest this ad to me is a shameful piece of propaganda the atheist one on the same scale would be like having a picture of the WTC and a caption "Imagine if there was no God"

(#16 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
The atheist ad of "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying & enjoy your life" got 326 complaints.
Is there a difference between saying something with a "probably" VS a "definitely" + calling people "fools"?
Quote:

Hearing voices which are not there is one of the diagnostic criteria for multiple personality disorder
I'd say more schizophrenia

(#17 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 12:34 AM

In all honesty, they don't bother me. I'm not overly religious, either. I don't mind other religions and I just.. look the other way if it DOES bother me. To each his own, I guess.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K. View Post
Are you serious???
Of course I'm serious. Is that really that surprising? I live in a rural area without things like buses. I didn't see a crosswalk until I was about 12 years old and went to camp. We have three stoplights in my whole county. We have one high school with 700 kids for the whole county. Things like public transportation just don't exist.

--A

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Des

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Hearing voices which are not there is one of the diagnostic criteria for multiple personality disorder.
Last time I checked... Just because someone believed in God it didn't mean that they heard voices I believe in God but I can tell you that God doesn't speak back to me they way you and I would talk and I don't hear His voice in my head.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 02:24 AM

I personally don't even notice the Ads on buses or on any public display.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 02:38 AM

Believing in God makes you delusional? And Christians apparently hear voices? No, no, no.

The first statement was pretty offensive and I don't think it was really necessary. But to move on from that, Christians don't necessarily hear actual voices. You can receive a message from God simply be pondering on something for awhile and deciding in your heart whether or not it is of God. You don't actually hear God talking to you.

Perhaps the reason that a lot of people are pessimistic atheists is because they lack knowledge about what Christianity really is and only pay attention to the religious nuts out there that force children to pray in tongues and say that the world is evil and base what they think Christianity is on that.

But anyway, the advertisements. It doesn't affect me either way, so I don't really care. They could have the signs and it wouldn't bother me or they could not have the signs and I wouldn't really care.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsHope View Post
Christians don't necessarily hear actual voices. You can receive a message from God simply be pondering on something for awhile and deciding in your heart whether or not it is of God. You don't actually hear God talking to you.
I just wanted to point out that that is just your personal opinion, and that there are many, many Christians who will venomously disagree with you.

While you may call and identify yourself as a Christian, that doesn't mean that all your personal beliefs change the meaning of the religion. There are thousands of die hard Christians out there who would simply see you as a 'fake Christian.'

You're yourself and have your own beliefs; I respect that, but please don't speak for other people.

Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican Roll View Post
I just wanted to point out that that is just your personal opinion, and that there are many, many Christians who will venomously disagree with you.

While you may call and identify yourself as a Christian, that doesn't mean that all your personal beliefs change the meaning of the religion. There are thousands of die hard Christians out there who would simply see you as a 'fake Christian.'

You're yourself and have your own beliefs; I respect that, but please don't speak for other people.
You're right. Different Christians believe differently. I was pointing out that just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you're delusional or any less sane than the next person. There are Christians that aren't religious nuts. I'm sure there are some religion-crazy people that practice other religions as well. I'm sure there are even some non-religion-crazy people out there too. No matter what you look at, there will always be people who take it to the ridiculous extremes.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
You're right. Different Christians believe differently. I was pointing out that just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you're delusional or any less sane than the next person. There are Christians that aren't religious nuts. I'm sure there are some religion-crazy people that practice other religions as well. I'm sure there are even some non-religion-crazy people out there too. No matter what you look at, there will always be people who take it to the ridiculous extremes.
  • All Christians believe in God
  • delusion - a mistaken or unfounded opinion or idea (Source)

While a belief in God may be considered mistaken it is certainly unfounded. Moderates who keep their faith to themselves are ok, it is the pushy ones that I cannot abide by: this is true of any religion but also applies outside of religion on many topics (such as those who think tails is better than sonic )

(#25 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
  • All Christians believe in God
  • delusion - a mistaken or unfounded opinion or idea (Source)
Okay. I'm not going to argue with that. But how is Christianity unfounded? Christians believe in the Bible as their proof. And just because those who aren't Christian don't believe in the Bible doesn't make it any less true to those who are Christians. No one is absolutely sure about any religion, even if they think that the religion that they follow is THE ONE. So there's really no proof for or against any religion out there. Faith is what it's all about. You have to have faith.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 09:00 PM

I know this is a debate forum, and discussing the ins and outs of this is what this is for, but an advert like this is never going to be accepted by everybody, and when they put it out there they knew that, its obvious that not everyone will accept it... However the purpose of an advert is to tell you about something, this advert tell you about God, and for a Christian, the bible, the word of God, and just events in day to day life is proof enough that there is a God.

But here the argument of things like the big bang come into play, and creation, and all sorts of arguments stem from this as to whether you believe or don't believe what is written in the bible. For Christians, it is our duty to tell people about God, as it is written in the 'Good book' of what we all believe to be the Word of God, true. The advert is simply doing this...

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
[/list][/color] Okay. I'm not going to argue with that. But how is Christianity unfounded? Christians believe in the Bible as their proof. And just because those who aren't Christian don't believe in the Bible doesn't make it any less true to those who are Christians. No one is absolutely sure about any religion, even if they think that the religion that they follow is THE ONE. So there's really no proof for or against any religion out there. Faith is what it's all about. You have to have faith.
I was expecting the Bible to get a mention somewhere. It is unfounded because it's the printed word. By that logic Sonic the Comic could be a holy text and Sonic the Hedgehog is a divine being.
Faith is a lousy argument to be used from what I've heard, usually used when one can't support a claim

(#28 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Christian Bus Campain - March 12th 2009, 09:32 PM

And yet faith is what millions of people live by everyday...

EDIT: Im not sure how much you believe about our past, present and future, but whether you like it or not, you believe things you have not seen, and how? By faith...

Closed Thread