TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 09:11 PM

OK so I want to know what people think of the whole media thing about Jade. Because a lot of people I know have joined in on the jokes about her and saying her dying is good...
Personally I never liked the way she got famous / used the media to make money without actually doing anything remotely useful.
BUT I think that what she is doing is amazing, trying to raise money to provide for her sons. And the coverage of her cancer has meant that the demand for the new cervical cancer jab has increased loads (in the UK anyway).
I've tried arguing the point that noone deserves to die, but I keep getting insensitive replies like "but shes so sick now shes gone half blind, its hilarious" (I'm half blind myself). Plus the fact that my best friends mam died of cancer when she was like ten.
I'm probably just ranting now ... Please someone say that there's other people our age who don't hate her!! (My faith in my friends for this, is already long gone )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 09:18 PM

I agree with you. I think what she has to go through must be so hard. I mean, there are so many people out there who have to go through cancer but it must make it more difficult being a celebrity.. though I agree that what she's doing for her kids is really brave and really good. And I hate the jokes. I've heard people saying things like 'God, I wish she would just die already', etc. and I hate it. I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread before now on this actually...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 09:20 PM

I have no reason to hate her; and therefore don't. I think it's really sad that she is dying and i too; agree that raising money for her sons is a good thing. She had a really tough upbringing and she wants to ensure her kids have a better future; seeing as she won't be around. There's nothing to hate about that. A mum doing what any loving mum would do for their children.

I agree people can be so insensitive - and they don't realise just how serious this is seeing as they haven't had to deal with it first-hand.

I'm thankful that her plight has helped raise awareness - even if she didn't really do anything in the first place to achieve her 'fame'; at least she is doing good now and it's quite a shame something like this had to happen in order for her to make her mark on this world in a positive way.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 09:23 PM

I dont hate her, personally, I rather like her & I think she is being very strong.

Any death jokes are not acceptable anyway, in my honest opinion

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 09:32 PM

I don't hate her either, I think it's amazing what she's doing, shes dying, and has only got a few days or something to live, she's promoting cancer and promoting people getting the cervical cancer jab, and raising money for her sons to have the upbringing she never had.
She might of got famous in an uncovential way but
She's dying, can't people just lay off her?

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 09:44 PM

I've seen Jade and the media circus that surrounds her a few times because i'm being treated at the same hospital as her [The Royal Marsden] but have never spoken to her. Her courage and attitude towards life is truely inspiring. People can trash talk her all they like, but are they in her situation? No, none of us are.

I think it's disgraceful that people are making jokes about her dying and saying how she shouldn't be making money out of it and everything else people are saying to criticise her. She's a young woman facing death and is doing her best to secure a future for her sons, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I know, perhaps more than most people how difficult it can be to go through cancer treatment. I don't know how she copes, with all the publicity that surrounds her and the press that follow her every move. I'm not saying they shouldn't, because she's lived her life in the public eye and so should expect interest in her illness.

She's done more for raising awareness of cervical cancer than any charity has been able to do, and any government project. Surely that is an achievemnet in itself.

Yes, she's done some stupid things, and you may not particularly like her, but that's quite irrelevent. People should have some respect and decency and leave her alone. She's only doing what she thinks is best for her kids.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 10:08 PM

I've never heard of her before reading the postings here. I suppose media coverage is mainly staying in the UK?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I've never heard of her before reading the postings here. I suppose media coverage is mainly staying in the UK?
Yeah. She got famous on Big Brother ages ago and has released books and perfumes and lots of other stuff no doubt. She's basically just known for being known.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 10:25 PM

I don't feel sorry for her at all. If she is prepared to use the media for her own ends then she has to accept that there will be negative consequences - in this case jokes about her dying.

It is in no way amazing what she's doing, it is like fixing a car: if you have the tools the job becomes much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
Yeah. She got famous on Big Brother ages ago and has released books and perfumes and lots of other stuff no doubt. She's basically just known for being known.
in other words: she's a sell out. Not to mention a racist

(#10 (permalink)) Old
InTheFlood Offline
Walking In The Sun...
I've been here a while

Name: Amelia

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 10:44 PM

I don't agree with the jokes at all, and I usually find those kind of jokes funny.
I don't agree with the amount of coverage that's gone into the actual declining of her health and everything.
But I do understand why she's doing it. I don't blame her for wanting to provide for her boys.

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║▌║
ORIGINAL MCFLY FAN ģ

"Another year over, and we're still together.
It's not always easy, but McFly's here forever
I know you believe me, when you look into my eyes
'Cause McFly never dies, because The Heart Never Lies!"

(#11 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 11:14 PM

Okay, I agree that it's a good thing that this has raised awareness of cervical cancer, and also that she's doing her best to provide for her sons.

BUT what I DON'T agree with is the fact that she gets all the special attention, just because she appeared on some Big Brother show. There are people everywhere with cancer, so why should it be her who gets her wedding dress paid for and all the special attention and money? Cancer doesn't pick and chose who it affects, we're not all "celebrities" but we all deserve some help, especially financially for us all to get the best treatment available.

I would never wish cancer on anyone and I definitly don't want her to die. But I just think it's unfair how she got all the special attention when there are people out there who have REALLY made a difference and who suffer from cancer. The way the media goes on about it, it's like she's the only person in the world with it.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#12 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Jade Goody? - March 11th 2009, 11:53 PM

Ill be outright honest with you, I started out out making those jokes along with my friends... Then I saw an interview with her, and it hit me what I had actually been doing... Once I saw she was a real person it just eugh, I feel so horrible, so whenever anyone makes those jokes now, I remind them, shes a real person you know!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Jade Goody? - March 13th 2009, 02:37 AM

I feel very sorry for her. I really really hope I never die of anything so slow and inexorable, it must be terrible watching yourself die. Just the very thought makes me shudder, she's coping with it a lot better than I would be which makes her a stronger person I guess?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Jade Goody? - March 13th 2009, 02:53 AM

I don't think what's she's doing is particularly amazing.
People out there are dying of cancer every day, and she is just one single cancer sufferer. I'm sure plenty of other people would love to have the same resources as her. I understand she wants to make money for her sons to better them and give them a good life.
Instead of spending all of her energy making money for them should she not be spending her every living moment with her sons, doing things she's not going to always be strong enough to do.
I know she's lived alot of her life in the public eye and she was once very well liked but she has also been quite rightly hated for good reason. So no I'm not going to be one of those people joking and laughing about her having cancer, because that's just horrible and I would not wish cancer upon my worst enemy but I think she needs to get away from this media circus and spend some quality time with her boys and give them firm, strong, nice memories of her.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Jade Goody? - March 13th 2009, 09:26 AM

I don't hate her. She's became a name in herself. Ok she's made some bad mistakes *celeb big brother for one, but she's had the courage to try and correct them, in the public eye.

I have passed her whilst on holiday, and she dotes on her two sons. ANY mother would try and provide for her children. Its not like she's asking for money. Magazines WANT to interview her. She's putting the money away to help provide for her little boys, as this is the only way she can.

People should cut her some slack. She's dying, for crying out loud. Let her be.
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Tericon Offline
The Waistcoated Wonder
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Nat

Re: Jade Goody? - March 13th 2009, 11:39 AM

I never like people who get famous for nothing. And I think the media storm around her is ridiculous, there are countless others dying of cancer, confined to sterile hospital beds and they don't get any of this attention, or the money she is gaining from it. Fair enough, she wants her sons to be happy, but so do those mothers with terminal cancer living out their last days.

^ And yes, if she truly cared for her kids, she'd be spending quality time with them, not lapping up the media attention. I'm sure she already has enough money for her kids to have a lifetime in the spotlight.

I do agree that making jokes against her is just disrespectful, death should never be a pun.

'If you've got the inclination
I have got the crime' - Oppurtunites - PSB <3

'Reel me in and cut my throat' - World- The Killerz <3

When we fall in love, we're just fallin' in love with ourselves... - Spiralling- Keane <3

(#17 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Jade Goody? - March 13th 2009, 02:52 PM

Before this thread, I have never heard about this person.

I checked the wiki & nothing special.

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Tericon Offline
The Waistcoated Wonder
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Nat

Re: Jade Goody? - March 15th 2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K. View Post
Before this thread, I have never heard about this person.

I checked the wiki & nothing special.
You got that right ^^

'If you've got the inclination
I have got the crime' - Oppurtunites - PSB <3

'Reel me in and cut my throat' - World- The Killerz <3

When we fall in love, we're just fallin' in love with ourselves... - Spiralling- Keane <3

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Jade Goody? - March 15th 2009, 03:22 PM

A summary if you will

1. Just hours after arriving (on Big Brother), she had flashed one of her boobs and left viewers stunned with a torrent of foul language.
2. Jade was a figure of ridicule. She was branded a “pig”, two-faced and ignorant. Rival contestants labelled her “thick” and “ugly”.
3. She thought East Anglia was called East Angular, and that it was somewhere near Tunisia. And she reckoned Rio de Janeiro was a person.
4. Lapping up the publicity, she once told a reporter she planned to dedicate a room in her house to all her front-page covers.
5. She became embroiled in a race row with Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty. She ranted at the actress: “You’re not some princess in f*****g Neverland. I don’t give a s**t. You’re a normal housemate like everybody else. You need to come to terms with that.” She added: “Go back to the slums and find out what real life is about lady.”
6. Later Jade confessed she wanted to headbutt the Indian actress and branded her “Shilpa Poppadom”.
7. Jade’s popularity nosedived overnight and Ofcom received a staggering 45,000 complaints. Her perfume was removed from the shelves and her autobiography dropped by publishers.
8. She then contracted cancer and turned out to be a saint.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Jade Goody? - March 15th 2009, 04:14 PM

In all honesty i wish people would just leave her alone, she only has days to live.
It's not like shes doing these interviews for her own benefit, shes making sure her boys are provided for. I'm sure any mother would do the same in the that situation.

She's dying yet shes still promoting the cervical cancer jab, SO many more people are getting the jab now, and she has raised more awareness for it, i know loads of girls at my college are talking about the jab and calling up their doctors surgery to ask about it. So if her doing these interviews and promoting this jab could well save hundreds of lives, or even one life, who are we to judge her for that!?

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Jade Goody? - March 15th 2009, 04:27 PM

i love your summary of her. it put a grin on my face

I don't think she should be getting anywhere near this much media attention. If anything, right now she deserves privacy so she can spend time with her family.

I'm not going to say I hope she dies, because it'd be so terrible for her sons. But I will say that I personally feel that she's a useless waste of space who never deserved to become as famous as she is, and the only thing she's really good at is making me laugh. But at her, not with her.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Jade Goody? - March 16th 2009, 01:46 AM

I've never heard of her before, but it's sad when anyone has cancer. She doesn't sound like a very likable person though.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Jade Goody? - March 16th 2009, 01:49 AM

The people who like her have an IQ of about 60

(#24 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Jade Goody? - March 22nd 2009, 05:26 PM

I really honestly never liked this woman. I was following the news for a while, and all I thought was , "what the hell, people get cancer every day. The only reason anyone gives a crap about her is because she's famous for being a douchebag on TV."

And all of a sudden she gets cancer and we're supposed to call her brave and a saint? She milked that disease for all it was worth, and played the oh poor me card so well she probably set a new record for its usage. And she did it for her sons. Big freaking deal! So all that money is going to make sure they have a cushy lifestyle, when it could instead be used to help fund cancer research.

Lastly, I don't know why people felt sorry for her because she was getting so much media attention. She wanted it that way, god forbid she should loose the spotlight before she died.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Jade Goody? - March 22nd 2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
I really honestly never liked this woman. I was following the news for a while, and all I thought was , "what the hell, people get cancer every day. The only reason anyone gives a crap about her is because she's famous for being a douchebag on TV."

And all of a sudden she gets cancer and we're supposed to call her brave and a saint? She milked that disease for all it was worth, and played the oh poor me card so well she probably set a new record for its usage. And she did it for her sons. Big freaking deal! So all that money is going to make sure they have a cushy lifestyle, when it could instead be used to help fund cancer research.

Lastly, I don't know why people felt sorry for her because she was getting so much media attention. She wanted it that way, god forbid she should loose the spotlight before she died.
I do agree with you that she's not exactly famous for doing anything than being a bit of an idiot. However, i don't really think you can say that she's milked it. Unless you've had cancer, you can't understand what she had to go through. Anyway, she's dead now, and may she rest in peace. And luckily for you, you won't have to hear as much about her anymore.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Kokoro Offline
AKB48<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mi Sun

Re: Jade Goody? - March 22nd 2009, 09:54 PM

I never liked her at all on BB, but I feel for her, she didnt deserve to die of cancer.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Jade Goody? - March 23rd 2009, 12:58 AM

Rest in peace. What a sad ending.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Jade Goody? - March 23rd 2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Rest in peace. What a sad ending.
Sad and ironic given that she died on Mother's Day

Closed Thread