TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 01:46 AM

In Afghan Student facing 20 years in jail

Do you want to guess what the crime is? Open the article! & be very very glad you don't live there...

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/student-facing-20-years-in-hell-1643069.html

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 01:47 AM

That's really sad. :-(

--A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 01:48 AM

Islam is backwards. Until they get reasonable laws the world will see it as backward

(#4 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Islam is backwards. Until they get reasonable laws the world will see it as backward
With the whole Blasphemy laws & the attempt to pass them... It really scares me...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 02:01 AM

That's so sad.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 02:06 AM

That's sad. Not unpredictable, though. Which makes it even more sad.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#7 (permalink)) Old
8evey8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Evey

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
you can't blame the religion for the idiots who misinterpret what it says.
i will agree that some of the beliefs are an extreme but i think it's only b/c its old fashioned and unlike other religions it hasn't moved w/ the time, for example Christianity, and Judaism. the one's that are backwards are the ppl who gave off this retarded sentence.

great i just turned this into a discussion

CRAP!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
The Supreme Court's decision means Mr Kambaksh's best hope is now a presidential pardon, which will force Mr Karzai to choose between fundamentalists in his government and the rule of law.
Either he fights the fundementalists in his government now or he has to do it later, the issue will not go away. If he does it later it will be harder as by not fighting them over this issue he will effectively be agreeing with the judgement of the fundementalists therefore strengthening their position and weakening the position of the moderates. As Machiavelli says, a fight can only be postponed to the advantage of others and to your disadvantage.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Turquoise Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 02:36 AM

It's the fundamentalists, the super Muslims, the people who don't understand the principles of Democracy and human rights, only those of religion. I wish that kid could have lived in America or Britain where an outspoken and creative mind could have brought him great success.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 02:52 AM

thats so terrible.
mind you, if you knew that was the price to pay why the hell would you download the article.
if i was lived their i'd wanna keep my head down!

good on him for being obviously so passionate though

(#11 (permalink)) Old
LillyImp Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lilly

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 02:58 AM

It's terrible how oppressed they are.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8evey8 View Post
Bingo! You got that right.

But that is really sad.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#13 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 04:44 AM

This is so horrible and unjust. Every time I think we are getting closer to a world were everyone can be treated equally and with respect something like this happens and makes me realize how far we are away from that goal.

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 04:58 AM

Suppression of rights is awful, but such a severe punishment for someone who merely is curious about the topic is shameful. Those judges should be removed from their posts immediately, and the charges should be dismissed.

But, unfortunately, some things are still very much backwards in the world.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 05:14 AM

That sad. =/

Couldn't he have predicted it would happen though.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8evey8

Bingo! You got that right.

But that is really sad.
|Huh??? What the? How are they in the wrong? From what I can see they are the ones who ACTUALLY FOLLOW THEIR RELIGION, instead of just ignoring whatever their teaching say, but then still claiming to be these cafeteria believers that pick & choose whatever is comfortable for them in today's society.

Hello? The Holy Books are the word of God. They aren't THAT if you change the entire content because, apparently, you're more advanced than your god.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K. View Post
|Huh??? What the? How are they in the wrong? From what I can see they are the ones who ACTUALLY FOLLOW THEIR RELIGION, instead of just ignoring whatever their teaching say, but then still claiming to be these cafeteria believers that pick & choose whatever is comfortable for them in today's society.

Hello? The Holy Books are the word of God. They aren't THAT if you change the entire content because, apparently, you're more advanced than your god.
What is wrong with picking and choosing what you want to believe in. Is i better to blindly follow an idol or have a brain and think for yourself? I don;t see anything wrong in only following the teachings that speak to your heart. I think the all or nothing mentality isn't good in most scenarios this being one of them. And yes I will choose to ignore my teachers if in my heart I think what they are preaching is wrong. More people need to stop being lemmings and use their heads if change is ever going to happen.

Last edited by soul; March 13th 2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: haha wrong animal lemmings not lemurs :P

(#18 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
What is wrong with picking and choosing what you want to believe in. Is i better to blindly follow an idol or have a brain and think for yourself? I don;t see anything wrong in only following the teaching that speak to your heart. I think the all or nothing mentality isn't good in most scenarios this being one of them. And yes I will choose to ignore my teachers if in my heart I think what they are preaching is wrong. More people need to stop being lemurs and use their heads if change is ever going to happen.
apparently living under islam is like living in the middle ages, where female rights are not allowed and domocracy is not known,

I think all religion is bull**** but thats my opnion. anyway did any of you guys hear about the muslim protestors ealier this week over here in the uk?
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul View Post
What is wrong with picking and choosing what you want to believe in. Is i better to blindly follow an idol or have a brain and think for yourself? I don;t see anything wrong in only following the teachings that speak to your heart. I think the all or nothing mentality isn't good in most scenarios this being one of them. And yes I will choose to ignore my teachers if in my heart I think what they are preaching is wrong. More people need to stop being lemmings and use their heads if change is ever going to happen.
huh? Do you not care at all about the truthfulness of your texts? Or your religion & your salvation?

Furthermore, if you're picking & choosing anyway, why not pick to throw out a 2000 year old book writen by savages that sold their own daughters & instead, if you want to learn some good morality or how to get along in TODAY's world, pick up a more current book on ethics & etc - so you wouldn't have to throw out most of the book to get some good lesson.

This picking & choosing allows to retain superstitious beliefs & lets the religion adjust. Result? People seem to choose whatever the hell they want. From discriminating people put down in their holy books, stopping scientific progress because of old dogmas, but at the same time neglecting/ignoring rules/prohibitions that they commit all the time themselves, because the almighty perfect Word of God doesn't really mean what it says it means.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 03:52 PM

Hmm that's really awful,
20 years, for trying to make things equal. =\

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#21 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K. View Post
huh? Do you not care at all about the truthfulness of your texts? Or your religion & your salvation?

Furthermore, if you're picking & choosing anyway, why not pick to throw out a 2000 year old book writen by savages that sold their own daughters & instead, if you want to learn some good morality or how to get along in TODAY's world, pick up a more current book on ethics & etc - so you wouldn't have to throw out most of the book to get some good lesson.

This picking & choosing allows to retain superstitious beliefs & lets the religion adjust. Result? People seem to choose whatever the hell they want. From discriminating people put down in their holy books, stopping scientific progress because of old dogmas, but at the same time neglecting/ignoring rules/prohibitions that they commit all the time themselves, because the almighty perfect Word of God doesn't really mean what it says it means.
i don't see anything wrong with being your own person and using your mind (God gave it to you for a reason). I do agree that religion is outdated for the most part but to say it has no place in modern society is ludicrous. You act like every teaching is worthless and or a deleterious influence on people. I can find at least a few good things about most belief systems. While religion has created a fair amount of harm you can't act like no good has come from it. I am not even going to go into how things pan out with weighing the good vs. the bad on that one. Religion gives a lot of people a lot of hope and strength regardless of wether they belief every word of their faith or not. As for the almighty word of God not meaning what is says... I don't believe any religious text IS the word of God but more rather man's interpretation of God's word so of course it can be misinterpreted and even incorrect (humans make mistakes).

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 04:14 PM

Grr. When I read things like this it angers me. What about all the murderers, rapists etc. out there? Shouldn't the police and the justice system be more concerned with them than people who do 'crimes' like this. GRR

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Islam is backwards.
This always seems so ironic for me. When it first began, it was the most forward religion and culture, both generally, academicaly, and in womens rights. But now it seems to have stopped, at least for fanatics.

To be honest, the article scared me. Twenty years for downloading an article.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:

arnt i allowed to express my opnion? and i never said get rid of religion
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkiller7 View Post
arnt i allowed to express my opnion? and i never said get rid of religion
Um I don't think my response was to you...

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 06:40 PM

Now all I can say to all of the posters who live in the United States or a similar place with rights toward freedom - be happy you live where you do. Love your countries, and don't complain so damn much about trivial things. ;D

=P

(#27 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 06:57 PM

Whoa. That's so sad.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Um I don't think my response was to you...
ah sorry... :P
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 07:50 PM

That's awful. And people wonder why there is no talking with nor diplomatic approaches with these types of cultures.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 13th 2009, 08:40 PM

I was thinking when I first read the title, he beat someone up right? But what he actually did... that's so wrong, he shouldn't be punished for that.

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 14th 2009, 08:08 PM

This is present in a few religions. There is technically no free speech in the Bible or Koran so anything that opposes a certain religious view point is blasphemy and can be punished by prison, death, etc.

Last edited by Gram Negative; March 16th 2009 at 03:29 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Student facing 20 years in jail. Guess the crime. - March 16th 2009, 03:13 AM

That is shameful

People take ancient texts (which might not even be true) and try to use them to justify murder and intolerance.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Closed Thread