TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jodie <3

Cool Weed Vs. Alchol - March 13th 2009, 03:32 PM

I dont know if i'm really allowed to talk about this but if i'm not sorry i didnt know.

I cant believe this. How is it that its is legal to go out and get wasted but its not legal to smoke a dube. This i do Not understand. I think that gettin drunk is sooo much worse than gettin high. When your drunk your a idiot and can never drive but with weed you are as stupid you never get that fucked up and you can always drive. In fact i think you can drive better.

I dont understand this at all tho. How its legal to drink but not to smoke.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Peace
Be Safe!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
girl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: 410

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 13th 2009, 07:39 PM

i don't think you should drive when you're high either, but it's a dubm rule. it's better than smoking, too. smoking weed doesn't really have any proven long term effects but smoking and drinking both do

i like drunk people better than high people though, theyre more fun

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 13th 2009, 08:18 PM

Actually smoking weed is equally as imparing as alcohol, especially when driving. Which is why being caught driving drunk and high both fall under "driving under the influence" and will be punished equally.
Quote:
Cannabis impairs depth perception, attention span and concentration, slows reaction time, and decreases muscle strength and hand steadiness - all of which may affect a person's ability to drive safely.
Quote:
people who use cannabis heavily or regularly, or people with certain medical or psychiatric conditions, risk the following possible long-term effects:
  • Cannabis smoke contains tar and other known cancer-causing agents. People who smoke cannabis often hold unfiltered smoke in their lungs for maximum effect. This adds to the risk of cancer.
  • Smoking cannabis irritates the respiratory system. Chronic marijuana smoking has been linked to bronchitis. One study estimated that three to four joints per day causes the same damage as smoking 20 or more tobacco cigarettes.
  • The constant intoxication associated with heavy cannabis use often reduces motivation for work and study, although this usually returns when drug use is stopped.
  • There is a possible association between heavy regular cannabis use and the onset of schizophrenia. It is not clear, however, whether cannabis use releases latent symptoms of schizophrenia, or whether people use cannabis to help them cope with the symptoms of an emerging psychosis. Evidence suggests that continued cannabis use in people with schizophrenia accentuates psychotic symptoms and worsens the course of the illness.
  • Chronic, heavy use of cannabis may impair people's attention, memory and the ability to process complex information for weeks, months and even years after they have stopped using cannabis.
Source:http://www.camh.net/About_Addiction_...nabis_dyk.html

There is also the issue with the fact that weed is often laced with other drugs, and there is no way of controlling what the person growing the weed will add to it. Which means that along with the impairments they get from the weed alone, they may also have to deal with the effects of a number of drugs it could be laced with, such as cocaine. We also have the arguement that weed is a gateway drug; which it is. Having it legel may increase the number of people who move on to try harder drugs.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
girl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: 410

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 13th 2009, 11:59 PM

but ppl dont just randomly try weed, most start drinking first. drinking leads to weed. puberty leads to drinking. LETS BAN PUBERTY

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mel Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Mel

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 14th 2009, 01:50 AM

People do dumb things while using either, to be completely honest. Marijuana and alcohol both have affects on your body, which is why you shouldn't use either if you plan on driving. Each person handles different amounts of each differently.

Also, to the point above, there are a lot of people who try drugs without drinking first. Drinking doesn't always lead to drugs.

∞ 1.16.07 ∞ 7.4.07 ∞ 9.16.08 ∞

Click here to PM me. | Never Give Up ツ

I have not failed.
I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 14th 2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl View Post
but ppl dont just randomly try weed, most start drinking first. drinking leads to weed. puberty leads to drinking. LETS BAN PUBERTY
This... I think is garbage.

Many things can lead to drinking and other drugs.

Both alcohol and marijuana can impair your driving. Both can affect your body in different ways.

I'm not sure on the reasons for why it's legal but I thought of some possible explanations:
1) The history. Alcohol has been in the country's history for quite some time and wasn't always illegal. It seems like a rather lame explanation but people tend to be more comfortable with something that they've been around longer.
2) Drinking alcohol doesn't have any direct health effects on others, whereas smoking, I'm sure would lead to you blowing the THC and other drug molecules towards someone.
3) You can control the content of alcohol better. That is, with marijuana, you can lace it with something and the user wouldn't know until they used it.
4) Since alcohol has been in the history for quite a while, making it illegal would cause an uproar. It's better to just let it be legal, tax it to get some money and let it go. Everything will cause deaths in one way or another, so alcohol is no exception.

Both can lead to various disorders and both can affect the body. You could argue some advantages of marijuana over alcohol, such as there are far more deaths due to alcohol poisoning than to marijuana poisoning (not a single human case of marijuana poisoning because the amount that is needed and the time to take it is very high).

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 14th 2009, 04:27 AM

I remembered earlier that we were actually debating this in my philosophy course a month or so ago. We got a sheet on the top 7 reasons why marijuana is illegal. Now, I agree with some of these, others I do not but I will write them out for you to read.

1. It's believed by some to be addictive.
Under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug on the basis that is has "a high potential for abuse." What does this mean?

It means that the perception is that people get on marijuana, they get hooked and become "potheads," and it begins to dominate their lives. This unquestionably happens in some cases. But it also happens in the case of alcohol--and alcohol is perfectly legal.

In order to fight this argument for prohibition, legalization advocates need to make the argument that marijuana is not as addictive as government sources claim. Though most believe that this may never happen. Marijuana may not be physically addicting but it is mentally addicting.

2. It has no accepted medical use.
Marijuana seems to yield considerable medical benefits for many Americans with ailments ranging from glaucoma to cancer, but these benefits have not been accepted well enough, on a national level. Medical use of marijuana remains a serious national controversy.

In order to fight the argument that marijuana has no medical use, legalization advocates need to highlight the effects it has had on the lives of people who have used the drug for medical reasons.

3. It has been historically linked with heroine.
The first piece of federal legislation to formally regulate marijuana was the Narcotics Act of 1914, which regulated heroin, cocaine, and marijuana. The only trouble is that cocaine and marijuana are not technically narcotics; the word "narcotic," when used in English, has historically referred to opium derivatives such as heroin and morphine.

But the association stuck, and there is a vast gulf in the American consciousness between "normal" recreational drugs, such as alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine, and "abnormal" recreational drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine. Marijuana is generally associated with the latter category, which is why it can be convincingly portrayed as a "gateway drug."

4.It's associated with a undesirable lifestyle.
Marijuana is often thought of as a drug for hippies and losers. Since it's hard to feel enthusiastic about the prospects of enabling people to become hippies and losers, imposing criminal sanctions for marijuana possession functions as a form of communal "tough love."

5. It was one associated with oppressed ethnic groups
The intense anti-marijuana movement of the 1930s dovetailed nicely with the intense anti-Chicano movement of the 1930s. Marijuana was associated with Mexican Americans, and a ban on marijuana was seen as a way of discouraging Mexican-American subcultures from developing.

Today, thanks in large part to the very public popularity of marijuana among whites during the 1960s and 1970s, marijuana is no longer seen as what one might call an ethnic drug--but the groundwork for the anti-marijuana movement was laid down at a time when marijuana was seen as an encroachment on the U.S. majority-white culture.

6. Inertia is a powerful force in public policy.
If something has been banned for only a short period of time, then the ban is seen as unstable. If something has been banned for a long time, however, then the ban--no matter how ill-conceived it might be--tends to go unenforced long before it is actually taken off the books.

Take the ban on sodomy, for example. It hasn't really been enforced in any serious way since the 18th century, but most states technically banned same-sex sexual intercourse until the Supreme Court ruled such bans unconstitutional in Lawrence v. Texas (2003).

People tend to be comfortable with the status quo--and the status quo, for nearly a century, has been a literal or de facto federal ban on marijuana.

7. Advocates for the legalization of marijuana rarely, if ever, pose reputable or appealing cases
To hear some advocates of marijuana legalization say it, the drug cures diseases while it promotes creativity, open-mindedness, moral progression, and a closer relationship with God and/or the cosmos. That sounds incredibly foolish, particularly when the public image of a marijuana user is, again, that of a loser who risks arrest and imprisonment so that he or she can artificially invoke an endorphin release.

A much better argument for marijuana legalization, from my vantage point, would go more like this: "It makes some people happy, and it doesn't seem to be any more dangerous than alcohol. Do we really want to go around putting people in prison and destroying their lives over this?"

I actually just found this same handout on a website so the source is:
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/dru...na-Illegal.htm

Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 14th 2009, 08:22 PM

* The maximum road tracking impairment after the highest THC dose (300 ug/kg) was within a range of effects produced by many commonly used medicinal drugs and less than that associated with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08g% in previous studies employing the same test.

http://www.ridelust.com/marijuana-an...g-performance/

Here's the original study conducted by the Department of Transportation.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...ng/driving.htm

Basically if you take cold medicine or prescription meds and you are caught driving on them then you should also be arrested because the effects are similar.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 14th 2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingButterFly View Post
I dont know if i'm really allowed to talk about this but if i'm not sorry i didnt know.

I cant believe this. How is it that its is legal to go out and get wasted but its not legal to smoke a dube. This i do Not understand. I think that gettin drunk is sooo much worse than gettin high. When your drunk your a idiot and can never drive but with weed you are as stupid you never get that fucked up and you can always drive. In fact i think you can drive better.

I dont understand this at all tho. How its legal to drink but not to smoke.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Drink-driving is a crime and a very serious crime at that. Alcohol generally only affects you too. Anything smoked will be let back into the air

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 14th 2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Anything smoked will be let back into the air
so?

-------------------
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 14th 2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram Negative View Post
so?

-------------------
So it affects anyone who happens to be nearby

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 14th 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
You would have to be in a car or a small room for that too occur. That is what we call a "hot box".
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 12:35 AM

I really don't think there's any legitimate reason why it should be kept illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
I remembered earlier that we were actually debating this in my philosophy course a month or so ago. We got a sheet on the top 7 reasons why marijuana is illegal. Now, I agree with some of these, others I do not but I will write them out for you to read.

1. It's believed by some to be addictive.
Under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug on the basis that is has "a high potential for abuse." What does this mean?

It means that the perception is that people get on marijuana, they get hooked and become "potheads," and it begins to dominate their lives. This unquestionably happens in some cases. But it also happens in the case of alcohol--and alcohol is perfectly legal.

In order to fight this argument for prohibition, legalization advocates need to make the argument that marijuana is not as addictive as government sources claim. Though most believe that this may never happen. Marijuana may not be physically addicting but it is mentally addicting.

It's complete bullshit that marijuana's a schedule I drug. Schedule I means that it has no accepted medical value, although it's proven that it increases appetite and reduces nausea. It's used for cancer patients going through chemotherapy, which decreases appetite and greatly increases nausea. Opiates take away the pain, but nausea is a very common side effect, and it's not gonna help. Marijuana will.

2. It has no accepted medical use.
Marijuana seems to yield considerable medical benefits for many Americans with ailments ranging from glaucoma to cancer, but these benefits have not been accepted well enough, on a national level. Medical use of marijuana remains a serious national controversy.

In order to fight the argument that marijuana has no medical use, legalization advocates need to highlight the effects it has had on the lives of people who have used the drug for medical reasons.

Read above.

3. It has been historically linked with heroine.
The first piece of federal legislation to formally regulate marijuana was the Narcotics Act of 1914, which regulated heroin, cocaine, and marijuana. The only trouble is that cocaine and marijuana are not technically narcotics; the word "narcotic," when used in English, has historically referred to opium derivatives such as heroin and morphine.

But the association stuck, and there is a vast gulf in the American consciousness between "normal" recreational drugs, such as alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine, and "abnormal" recreational drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine. Marijuana is generally associated with the latter category, which is why it can be convincingly portrayed as a "gateway drug."

So basically alcohol, nicotine and caffeine are all legal and not considered gateway drugs. There's definitely a correlation there. If it was legalized it would have a different stigma and go in the first category. Ironically the fact that it's illegal causes it to be a gateway drug, which is pretty redundant.

4.It's associated with a undesirable lifestyle.
Marijuana is often thought of as a drug for hippies and losers. Since it's hard to feel enthusiastic about the prospects of enabling people to become hippies and losers, imposing criminal sanctions for marijuana possession functions as a form of communal "tough love."

This is ridiculous to even try to use as a convincing argument. Unconventional and bad are completely different things. Hippies aren't necessarily bad just because they're undesired by a large group of people. Negative stigma and and outright bad aren't the same thing. Is there something wrong with being gay since there's some negative association? What about being black, or muslim, or jewish, or asian, or any other minority out there? And if we're gonna go into stereotypes, the alcoholic who beats his wife is a lot more undesirable than the hippie, and alcohol's completely legal. Oh and while we're at it, let's ban mainstream rap since it's associated with the 'gangster' lifestyle. Bullshit.

5. It was one associated with oppressed ethnic groups
The intense anti-marijuana movement of the 1930s dovetailed nicely with the intense anti-Chicano movement of the 1930s. Marijuana was associated with Mexican Americans, and a ban on marijuana was seen as a way of discouraging Mexican-American subcultures from developing.

Today, thanks in large part to the very public popularity of marijuana among whites during the 1960s and 1970s, marijuana is no longer seen as what one might call an ethnic drug--but the groundwork for the anti-marijuana movement was laid down at a time when marijuana was seen as an encroachment on the U.S. majority-white culture.

So in other words, marijuana was banned as a way to promote racism. Cool.

6. Inertia is a powerful force in public policy.
If something has been banned for only a short period of time, then the ban is seen as unstable. If something has been banned for a long time, however, then the ban--no matter how ill-conceived it might be--tends to go unenforced long before it is actually taken off the books.

Take the ban on sodomy, for example. It hasn't really been enforced in any serious way since the 18th century, but most states technically banned same-sex sexual intercourse until the Supreme Court ruled such bans unconstitutional in Lawrence v. Texas (2003).

People tend to be comfortable with the status quo--and the status quo, for nearly a century, has been a literal or de facto federal ban on marijuana.

I can agree with this one. Legalizing it when so many people are completely against it would be a bad idea, although I think it should gradually be decriminalized in different states. Eventually we should start to legalize it in the different states, and then change the federal law. There are ways to legalize it and change the social stigma attached with it gradually and slowly.

7. Advocates for the legalization of marijuana rarely, if ever, pose reputable or appealing cases
To hear some advocates of marijuana legalization say it, the drug cures diseases while it promotes creativity, open-mindedness, moral progression, and a closer relationship with God and/or the cosmos. That sounds incredibly foolish, particularly when the public image of a marijuana user is, again, that of a loser who risks arrest and imprisonment so that he or she can artificially invoke an endorphin release.

A much better argument for marijuana legalization, from my vantage point, would go more like this: "It makes some people happy, and it doesn't seem to be any more dangerous than alcohol. Do we really want to go around putting people in prison and destroying their lives over this?"

Anyone who wants it legalized because it apparently has positive effects is an idiot. It should be legalized because it's much safer than alcohol, and the fact that it's regulated by criminals instead of the government just promotes gangs and other criminal activity.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 02:01 AM

Yeah I do not agree with most of the reasons, I just believe it was an interesting read, and to be honest I argued against all but I believe two of these reasons during our debate in philosophy class, however I am still on the fence as to whether or not it should be legalized.

Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MetaIce Offline
Average Joe

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 02:22 AM

Alright, I'm moving this to Debates, because it's more that than a question for D&A. If anyone disagrees, feel free to move it.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 02:33 AM

Weed is more time consuming unlike drinking a can of beer.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 02:49 AM

I don't really think either should be legal, to be honest. It's not good for our bodies and we don't need it to live. It's unnecessary.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsHope View Post
I don't really think either should be legal, to be honest. It's not good for our bodies and we don't need it to live. It's unnecessary.
We don't need a lot of things though. Fast food is bad for us and unnecessary but they exist because, in moderation, it's a handy and tasty snack not unlike alcohol

(#19 (permalink)) Old
primus diddy Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 03:48 AM

Because our legal system is not governed by logic. Read some of the new legislation that's going through...or any document from between 9/11 and the time that Bush declared war. None of it is really reasonable, including the illegalization of marijuana.

After it's been illegal for so long, I can imagine that legalizing it would be a huge chore. It's a lot more complicated than "Oh good I can smoke pot freely now!"...for our government at least. We have a lot of policies internationally that pressure other countries to constrict the production and transportation of marijuana that we would need to at least revamp. What about finding sources of marijuana that do not inadvertently support organizations around the world that we have been working for years to stop? I'm thinking mostly international drug traffickers that deal in more than just pot...which I'm sure is most of them.

What about the already very well established black market for marijuana sales probably undercutting what would be heavily taxed "official" pot? What if the sources of pot our government OKs isn't as good? Alcohol and tobacco have been okay in Western culture for so long that we don't really have to worry about those things as much.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is this: Ask yourself what's in it for the political leaders of this country? They're not really all that concerned with what's best for general public.

Searching my heart for its true sorrow,
This is the thing I find it to be:
That I am weary of words and people,
Sick of the city, wanting the sea;

Wanting the sticky, salty sweetness
Of the strong wind and shattered spray;
Wanting the loud sound and the soft sound
Of the big surf that breaks all day.

-Exiled, Edna St. Vincent Millay

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
You would have to be in a car or a small room for that too occur. That is what we call a "hot box".
So, second-hand smoke from cigarettes don't occur or don't affect others? If someone is smoking a joint or a cigarette and you are an unfortunate man to walk by, they blow the smoke at you, you inhale, you're affected. It may not be a huge affect to a point where you die but you still do get affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsHope View Post
Right, so let's get rid of computers, TV's, automobiles, fast-food, barbers, make-up, books, etc..., because they're all unnecessary and most of them are unhealthy (TV's and computers can affect eyes, make us sit and not move, fast-food.. I don't need to explain that, automobiles affect the environment, which can affect us or they produce CO which affect us). Let's go on a rampage of getting rid of unnecessary things and bring us back to the Stone Ages (or possibly get rid of some of the items there also).

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 03:49 AM

It should be legal for the government to be able to tax it and get money. So many people already use it anyways.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
It should be legal for the government to be able to tax it and get money. So many people already use it anyways.
So.. make cocaine, heroin, and whatever the hell else is there legalized if a large population uses it because the government can tax it? That could encourage people to use more of it if they can afford it already. Doesn't take a moron to figure out that doing such an action would have severe negative consequences.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
So, second-hand smoke from cigarettes don't occur or don't affect others? If someone is smoking a joint or a cigarette and you are an unfortunate man to walk by, they blow the smoke at you, you inhale, you're affected. It may not be a huge affect to a point where you die but you still do get affected.
Same can be said for automobile exhaust.

And second hand smoke from cigarettes is also related to enclosed areas such as bars.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
So.. make cocaine, heroin, and whatever the hell else is there legalized if a large population uses it because the government can tax it? That could encourage people to use more of it if they can afford it already. Doesn't take a moron to figure out that doing such an action would have severe negative consequences.
Marijuana is lesser than any of those drugs. In the high stand point and in health effects stand point. It's only as bad as alcohol. And when the economy is steadily failing and so many people are doing it illegally anyways, it would only be logical to legalize and tax it for the sake of economical stimulation.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Same can be said for automobile exhaust.

And second hand smoke from cigarettes is also related to enclosed areas such as bars.
True.. and I get the feeling this issue of cigarette/joint/automobile exhaust and closed areas is going to go in a circular debate. I haven't disagreed that they don't harm, you haven't either. I think we're agreeing on it..?

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 07:32 AM

I speak more of knowledge gained by experience, and me doing research from experience if that makes sense.

Drinking, makes people generally angry. While pot just relaxes you, and it's very rare to get angry or agitated while high from pot. For example, when my dad was drunk, he'd yell and so forth. When he was high, he was off in the corner doing whatever. My friends are also this way. When I drink, I get giddy and what-not, but I'm louder and more destructive than when I'm high. And this is generally, though not ALWAYS, the case.
While you shouldn't drive with both, I think weighing out positives and negatives, that if alcohol is legal, pot should be too. Pot can help with pain, they're starting to think it may help with ADHD and all that.

Ironic.. as I was writing this, someone called me, told me they got wasted and got in a fight and put their friend in the hospital. I've never heard of anyone doing that while on pot.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
C-cyanide Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chesca

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 15th 2009, 01:05 PM

Despite there being more obvious long term and short term effects of alcahol there are also many long term and short term effects of weed.
Alcahol may make people act dumbfounded and Out of character, it also causes liver problems and other health problems but smoking itself includes risks of lung cancer and bronchitis, Weed however contains chemicals that effect the brain and neurotoxins which can cause long term psycological effects such as paranoia,Schizophrenia and depression.
The reason why drinking is legal is because alcahol in small amounts can be beneficial for the body such as red wine, however the consequences of underage drinking and drunk driving are strict, maybe not as strict as as the punishments of drug use.
  Send a message via MSN to C-cyanide  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

March 15th 2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
True.. and I get the feeling this issue of cigarette/joint/automobile exhaust and closed areas is going to go in a circular debate. I haven't disagreed that they don't harm, you haven't either. I think we're agreeing on it..?
You haven't disagreed but you haven't said that we should make automobiles illegal if they use gasoline.

Quote:
And by making something illegal you are supporting the drug cartels. They probably love you by the way. If people didn't make things illegal then they wouldn't be making BILLIONS.

The prohibition of alcohol allowed the Italian Mafia take a foothold in America...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-cyanide View Post
smoking itself includes risks of lung cancer and bronchitis,
No link between lung cancer and weed.

Quote:
Weed however contains chemicals that effect the brain and neurotoxins which can cause long term psycological effects such as paranoia,Schizophrenia and depression.
Not exactly. You have to be predisposed to those conditions in the first place.

Last edited by udontno; March 15th 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: merge
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
8evey8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Evey

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 16th 2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl View Post
i don't think you should drive when you're high either, but it's a dumb rule. it's better than smoking, too. smoking weed doesn't really have any proven long term effects but smoking and drinking both do
smokin weed does has long term effects same as smoking pretty much b/c u dnt know wat they mix the weed w/ and the smoke is bad 4 ur lungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post

Also, to the point above, there are a lot of people who try drugs without drinking first. Drinking doesn't always lead to drugs.
agreed

Quote:
Drink-driving is a crime and a very serious crime at that. Alcohol generally only affects you too. Anything smoked will be let back into the air
im lost where were u goin w/ this?

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jodie <3

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 16th 2009, 02:55 AM

Wow all I was saying is I think its stupid how its legal to go to a bar and get trashed but when you lite something up you get in trouble. That is sooooooo stupid. So stupid. It should really be the other way around.

Peace
Be Safe!

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 16th 2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
There is also the issue with the fact that weed is often laced with other drugs, and there is no way of controlling what the person growing the weed will add to it. Which means that along with the impairments they get from the weed alone, they may also have to deal with the effects of a number of drugs it could be laced with, such as cocaine. We also have the arguement that weed is a gateway drug; which it is. Having it legel may increase the number of people who move on to try harder drugs.
Oh please, a drug dealer, in general, is not going to waste their expensive drugs on lacing. Lacing with other drugs is generally on a user level. The only case of laced pot I've heard of from all my stoner friends (which is a large pool of people and years of smoking), is where pot's been laced with things like coca-cola to increase the weight. At the end of the day, a dealer is running a business. They want you to come back. If you dont get what you are wanting, you'd go elsewhere.

Pot is a gateway drug? I don't see how. Lots of pot mokers are just that, hence there are pot heads. Not to mention, perhaps the people who are willing to try weed are just the people who are more likely to try other things. I mean it makes sense. They were already willing to break the law for pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Nor does pot.

Quote:
Then ban it being smoked in public buildings, like with the smoking ban. Second hand smoke isnt harmful in a well ventilaed area. Or if you are smoking at home, then it should be your choice to smoke in your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Weed is more time consuming unlike drinking a can of beer.
Drunkeness is more time consuming.

Quote:
Um... actually there's an argument to be made to suggest this. One part of it being, so long as laws about driving, similar things and perhaps where it can be done (so safety of others issues), why should the government have the right to send us to jail for this, if no one else is getting hurt.

Quote:
Despite there being more obvious long term and short term effects of alcahol there are also many long term and short term effects of weed.
Alcahol may make people act dumbfounded and Out of character, it also causes liver problems and other health problems but smoking itself includes risks of lung cancer and bronchitis, Weed however contains chemicals that effect the brain and neurotoxins which can cause long term psycological effects such as paranoia,Schizophrenia and depression.
The reason why drinking is legal is because alcahol in small amounts can be beneficial for the body such as red wine, however the consequences of underage drinking and drunk driving are strict, maybe not as strict as as the punishments of drug use.
Mental problems is rare, and pot is rarely the only drug that's been taken by a sufferer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8evey8 View Post
smokin weed does has long term effects same as smoking pretty much b/c u dnt know wat they mix the weed w/ and the smoke is bad 4 ur lungs.

Lacing isnt common. Weed smoke, with no tobacco, isnt as bad as tobacco.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 16th 2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
I speak more of knowledge gained by experience, and me doing research from experience if that makes sense.

Drinking, makes people generally angry. While pot just relaxes you, and it's very rare to get angry or agitated while high from pot. For example, when my dad was drunk, he'd yell and so forth. When he was high, he was off in the corner doing whatever. My friends are also this way. When I drink, I get giddy and what-not, but I'm louder and more destructive than when I'm high. And this is generally, though not ALWAYS, the case.
While you shouldn't drive with both, I think weighing out positives and negatives, that if alcohol is legal, pot should be too. Pot can help with pain, they're starting to think it may help with ADHD and all that.

Ironic.. as I was writing this, someone called me, told me they got wasted and got in a fight and put their friend in the hospital. I've never heard of anyone doing that while on pot.
You said exactly, or pretty much what I was going to Maria.
If I drink, I sometimes loose parts of my night, if I smoke... I sleep, which is a rare, and welcomed break. A reason why some of my stoner friends smoke more than drink, or smoke rather than drink, is to do with, at least in my area, pot is less expensive than a night out drinking.
I'd never drive stoned or drunk, if I had to choose I'd always say stoned, as I'm more alert, and aware of what is happening. Obviously, I don't plan to do it though.
I've only seen pot as a gateway drug on few occasions, and this is mainly to do with the person in question, their mental stability, and for the record, no I am not saying only mentally ill people take hard drugs, but from personal experience and my friends, those who suffer depression, and are looking for a different outlet, start on harder ones. Not everyone is like this obviously, but the ones who smoke for fun, are not about to start shooting up.
I understand that some people smoke pot to break the law, 'cause it's cool', and some will take harder drugs for this reason, but most of the stoners I know, only smoke pot. It depends on your views, how much you're willing to risk, and ultimately, how you haven't listened to the danger of drugs such as heroin, if you are going to progress further into hard drugs.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 16th 2009, 06:21 PM

I also want to point out, that some of the people with the highest grades in our school smoke pot. The ones that drink have the lowest grades. That's just for you people who think grades are everything

And Lou, that was well put.

Millian Harm Principle - As long as you're not psychically hurting anyone else.
Drinking hurts others physically sometimes if you're a raging, abusive alcoholic.
Smoking pot, if you're not around others, or the people you're around don't care, -shrugs-

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
GotSeoul? Offline
Hopeless.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Moony

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 31st 2009, 02:42 AM

Nevertheless, marijuana will always be a topic with no real ending.

I'm a war of head versus heart
My head is weak, and my heart always speaks.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
guyofpain Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cody

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 31st 2009, 02:51 AM

Alcohol should be banned to be honest...

I don't hear of people getting high and beating their wifes, Or people getting high and getting into fights. People who get high usually just lay back and enjoy the show. From most times I can tell.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Weed Vs. Alchol - March 31st 2009, 03:01 AM

Today was two weeks since this thread had been inactive. Therefore, it has been bumped, so I'm going to close it. Please do not bump old threads.

--A

Closed Thread