TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Women going gray to save money? No way!
As bad as economy may be, women won’t go gray for the sake of frugality

No matter how dire the economy gets, no matter how broke women become, an essential truth remains: You’ll have to pry their hair dye from their cold, dead hands.

It’s not that the economic downturn isn’t affecting women’s priorities at all. The Professional Beauty Association reports that many are extending the time between their hair appointments, foregoing facials, manicures and pedicures, coloring their hair at home and looking for other ways to save money. But go gray for the sake of frugality? No way, Jose.

Charla Krupp, author of the book “How Not to Look Old,” said that’s exactly how it should be — especially when the job market is so competitive. “Women cannot afford to go gray in this economy,” Krupp said. “When you’re competing for a job with someone who’s 10 years younger or 20 years younger than you are, being gray is the equivalent of wearing a necklace that says ‘57.’ Would you do that? You have to convey the message that you’re still in the game.”

Now brace yourselves, ladies: Krupp’s analysis goes even further.

“I tell women, ‘Go gray at your own risk,’ ” she said. “Going gray is step one of letting yourself go. There’s also letting your wrinkles show, getting fat, having bushy eyebrows. C’mon!”

To a small but increasingly vocal band of “gray-and-loving-it” women out there, Krupp’s sentiments represent fighting words. Many women who embrace their natural gray say they feel more content and more connected to their authentic selves. Plus they say their lives are less stressful: No more lengthy appointments to have their hair colored. No more panic when gray roots begin to show. And, they point out, just think of all the money they’re saving.

Anne Kreamer, 53, an author who described her transition to gray hair in the book “Going Gray,” estimated that she spent about $65,000 on hair color over a 25-year period.

“If I had invested that money, my daughters’ college education or my retirement would have been taken care of,” Kreamer said. “It is an actual choice that makes a difference in people’s pockets.”

But does she truly enjoy having gray hair?

“I adore it,” she said. “It’s thrilling. It’s fantastic. My hair is shinier, healthier, more vibrant. People ... stop me, literally, on the street to tell me, ‘I love the color of your hair.’ That never once happened in 25 years of dyeing my hair.”

As liberating as all of that sounds, Kreamer readily acknowledges that she’s in the minority.

“There’s not a single female senator with gray hair,” she noted. “Not a single female newscaster with gray hair. You can count celebrities on one hand: Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Morrison, Emmylou Harris. For women to have a genuine sense of this being an option, a lot more women who are professionals will have to go silver, gray, alabaster or what have you.”

Indeed. It doesn’t matter that Meryl Streep’s hair looked fabulous in “The Devil Wears Prada.” It doesn’t matter that Kathleen Sebelius, President Obama’s pick for Health secretary, is just plain cool-looking. Most women aren’t ready to go gray. Not yet, anyway. These days, 50 continues to be the new 30 — in large part thanks to hair dye.

Todd Bush, a longtime hairstylist in New York City, suspects that people will keep coloring their hair no matter how many celebrities and power brokers go gray in their lifetimes.

“I’ve never once in 24 years had someone come in and say, ‘Make me look like Aunt Bee from The Andy Griffith Show. I just love that steel-blue-gray thing she’s rockin’,’ ” Bush said. “I don’t think I ever will.”

Why hair color gets us so worked up
What is it about hair color that triggers such an emotional response — and such a willingness to spend money — from so many of us? While this area of life may initially appear to be trivial, superficial or even silly, a closer look reveals that it’s anything but.

In short, people’s hair color is intimately tied to the aging process. And for many women — and men — aging is not trivial or silly at all. It’s downright serious. This helps to explain why hair color can get us thinking about our identity, economic viability, fertility and even mortality.

“How many things can you control as you age?” asked Linda Warber, a Seattle hairstylist for the past 23 years. “A lot of things you can’t control. Which is why people turn to color: It’s something you can control relatively easily.”

Kreamer said it goes even deeper than that.

“Everyone has a mental picture of when they looked their best, when they were at their peak of everything — physical powers, mental powers — and that’s the look that people want to freeze,” she said.

“But the reality is that we’re a constantly evolving creature. You can’t stop it in any way, shape or form. If you embrace your biological age, you can actually extend your life expectancy. They’ve done studies that point to that.”

Kreamer added that we don’t fool anyone about our biological age when we dye our hair. While doing research for her book, she learned that people can still guess others’ ages pretty accurately regardless of their hair color.

So why bother, then? Experienced hairstylists say there’s a reason — albeit an unfair one.

“It’s cliché but true: When men go gray, they look distinguished. Women look old,” said Bush, the New York stylist. “I mean, how many women with gray hair are sex symbols? How many female George Clooneys, Steve Martins and Anderson Coopers are there? None that I can think of.”

David Stanko, a hair colorist at the New York salon Angelo David and a hair-color consultant for Redken, stated it even more plainly.

“In actual fact, gray hair is not that attractive,” Stanko said. “It’s rare that you have the Olympia Dukakis snowy-white, beautiful look. Or Meryl Streep in ‘The Devil Wears Prada’ — her hair looked snowy and white and clean. Just like gray paint, just like soot and dirt on your car, gray hair just looks dirty and old and unkempt.”

This impression of gray hair keeps us buying all those boxes of Clairol or Just For Men, or rushing back to the salon every five weeks. And even though those hair-color appointments require a significant time commitment, Stanko noted that those very appointments often represent the only real break a busy woman gets.

“It’s a haven for women,” he said. “They can turn off the BlackBerry. They can talk about themselves, or just sort of space out a little bit. It’s comfort time. It’s me time .... Plus it keeps people feeling good. When your hair is cut and shiny and colored, it’s like buying a new blouse.”

A symbol of self-acceptance
Autumn Lingle, 52, one of Warber’s clients in Seattle, said she loves going to the salon and having her hair done. These days, though, she’s going in for cuts only, not for color.

Her decision to abandon the dye after years of maintaining a dark brown color had nothing to do with money or time.

“It was extreme self-acceptance,” she said. “When I turned 50, I accepted who I am. I still wear makeup. I still work out. I eat really healthy. I just thought, ‘This is it, folks. I’m not going to pretend anymore.’ ”

Lingle has been struck by how many of her friends have praised her for being so brave for going gray.

She figures her decision will save her about $1,200 a year — a sum of money she can use to pay for textbooks for her daughter in college. It’s also made her happy to think that her new look could give her more gravitas in her city government job in a suburb of Seattle.

The biggest motivation for giving up color, though, involved wanting to be herself.

“I like it. It’s very freeing,” Lingle said. “There’s some power in age and some relaxation with it.”

Lingle has been hit with an unexpected plot twist, though. Just this week, she learned that the city government she works for is cutting positions, and she’ll be losing her job.

Will she reconsider coloring her hair again before heading out on job interviews? She paused for a minute, then answered.

“No, I’m not going to dye my hair. I’m going to go as I am, take it or leave it,” she said with a laugh. “It will be interesting.”
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29647902

I don't care how much money it saves me, I'd never let it stay gray. Lol. I'm only 20 years old and I've been going gray for two years now.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 01:46 AM

I don't think I'll ever let my hair go gray. My mother, however, is. She says it is because of the money. She's very cheap, so it doesn't surprise me.

--A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 01:47 AM

I suppose it could be seen as related to dignity. You might not have a job but you can always keep yourself pretty. When I start to go grey/bald I'll shave it off like Kerry King

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 04:57 AM

My mom gets her hair recolored every 5-6 weeks. She refuses to let herself go gray. She looks REALLY young for her age and she's not willing to let her hair age her.
I have a feeling I'll be the same way. :P

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 05:06 AM

My mom still hasn't had a grey hair so I hope I have her genes

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
I suppose it could be seen as related to dignity. You might not have a job but you can always keep yourself pretty. When I start to go grey/bald I'll shave it off like Kerry King
And get some nice tattoos?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 06:18 AM

I don't know what I'd do. I think gray hair could be a beautiful thing, along with wrinkles from laughing. Embrace it, I think.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 09:50 AM

I think gray hair is absolutely beautiful. I don't plan to spend my entire life coloring my hair. Wrinkles and grays go well together.

That said, my family is fairly blessed with decent hair. I got one good gene, eh?

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 02:45 PM

I can understand not wanting to go grey, but I would've thought that there are higher priorities than hair... Oh well.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
And get some nice tattoos?
If I have the cash I will

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 02:57 PM

I understand why women would not want to go grey... I'm going white anyways, yay for red hair.
I think, once wrinkles become more prominent, I may go grey/white gracefully.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Starlett Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tal

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 03:12 PM

My Mum started to go grey when she was 16... my brother has followed in her footsteps! He's 18 and has been putting dyes in his hair for the past year and a half because he has got quite a lot of grey. He feels like he is too young to have grey hair and that is why he puts a colour in.

I have been dying my hair for the past 4 years, purely because I wanted to try out different colours etc. At the moment I have my hair dyed black but I'm trying to let it grow out so I can go back to my natural colour which is brown. However, I have noticed I have a few grey hairs appearing so I'm thinking I will have to rethink my plan because although they are well hidden in the underneath bits of my hair, I do not intend risking a full head of grey appearing Therefore I have turned back to the hair dye!

Also, I was watching a thing on TV about this and they were saying that a lot more people are using home hair dye kits to save money. I suppose, generally, people avoid letting their hair stay naturally grey because they associate it with ageing and don't want to embrace that at the particular time. I can relate, I mean, I'm 21, I wouldn't want a full head of grey hair, I don't even like the few I have.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlett View Post
Also, I was watching a thing on TV about this and they were saying that a lot more people are using home hair dye kits to save money. I suppose, generally, people avoid letting their hair stay naturally grey because they associate it with ageing and don't want to embrace that at the particular time. I can relate, I mean, I'm 21, I wouldn't want a full head of grey hair, I don't even like the few I have.[/color][/font]
Yeah, I remember seeing an article on this on the internet. It also says the deodorant is still selling as normal xD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...our-lives.html

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 04:10 PM

Because women are shallow like that

/me quickly puts up his flameshield

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 04:32 PM

I think I'll probably end up dyeing my hair when it's gray. My mum dyes hers, but she does wacky colours and is trying to get it dyed purple.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Because women are shallow like that

/me quickly puts up his flameshield

Do men dread going bald like women dread going gray?

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 06:21 PM

I think the money could be better spent on something more worth while then letting your hair not go grey. It's part of growing old and I know no-one really wants that but you might as well do it and be proud of it, for lack of a better term instead of hiding it away under some dye job.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 07:10 PM

I'd never keep my hair gray, but my mother says onces her hair is gray, it's staying gray. She doesn't see the point in spending all that money.

And neither do I, to be honest. I'd still do it though.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 08:19 PM

I'll probably just let it go gray. Bleh. I don't want to bother with chemicals.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#20 (permalink)) Old
8evey8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Evey

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 09:48 PM

vanity is a dumb reason 2 go broke. if u dnt have it the n dnt dye it.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 16th 2009, 09:51 PM

There's actually a trend where a purposeful streak of grey is put through the hair...odd, huh? Well, as for greys and me...I don't think I'll worry about it just yet.
It's an issue to be dealt with later. I wouldn't be suprised if the future-me swung either way - I'm a cheapskate, but I like to look nice as well.

=P

(#22 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 17th 2009, 12:15 PM

Heh, now i see my mums thinking. Oh dear though, she looked way better pre-grey-ness.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Confused1isin Offline
Straight Edge LIFE!!!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelly or Khaos

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 17th 2009, 01:05 PM

I think that once I go gray, or silver (native american hair rocks) I'll keep t that way. I see gray hair and wrinkles and signs of wisdom and life experience.

"It took a funeral to make me feel alive"
"
Forget regret or life is yours to miss, no other road, no other way. No DAY BUT TODAY!!!!"
  Send a message via AIM to Confused1isin Send a message via MSN to Confused1isin  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Women going gray to save money? - March 17th 2009, 03:04 PM

it depends on how old i am when i start going grey... if i'm young then i'll probably dye it, but if i'm old then i'll go grey gracefully

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

Closed Thread