TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 18th 2011, 10:50 AM

Do you think that someone who has a lot of tattoos and piercings still be able to have the same opportunity as the next person if their attending a job interview?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
thefirstlady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 18th 2011, 05:57 PM

Definitely. Someone's tattoos and piercings do not affect their work ethic or define who they would be as an employee or a person. I'm heavily tattooed and often fall under this stigma by others, but have never had issues getting a job because of them. Both of my arms are covered, I have my lip pierced, stretched ears, and a facial microdermal anchor. I've found that once I get to the interview stage, while some may have reservations seeing me at first, once they get to know me they love me. I'm very hard working and a nice person which tends to go over well with management. Tattoos and piercings should not be a reason why someone does not get hired.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 18th 2011, 11:17 PM

I would say a person with tattoos or piercings should usually have the same opportunities, but in jobs like foodservice, piercings should be removed for obvious reasons. Other than that, as long as there are no visible obscene tattoos, it shouldn't matter.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 18th 2011, 11:22 PM

Unfortunately a lot of places won't hire people if they've got piercings and/or tattoos on show.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's how it is.

Maybe they're more lenient with this kinda thing in the US...?

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 19th 2011, 12:48 AM

Depends on the job. If they're going to be in a placement where they'll need to be in front of lots of customers lots of the time and they'll have to appeal to the customers, I'm not sure tattoos or piercings are appropriate. Therefore they should be covered or removed if possible, and if not possible then the seriousness should be considered - if very serious, don't hire, if not serious just hire and see how it goes.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 19th 2011, 03:40 AM

The opportunity should be excluded depending on the nature of the job. If it involves customer service-like jobs not in a hair, tattoo or piercing salon, the opportunity should be questioned. By this I mean only tattoos or piercings that are visible, large, numerous and/or intentionally offensive. If the person has offensive tattoos on, say, their back, then it doesn't really matter unless the job requires being shirtless.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 19th 2011, 05:00 AM

Not if it's going to give the business a bad reputation. Businesses depend on consumers for profit, and therefore they have to make decisions based on the consumer's interest. If a 40 year old woman with kids is buying 250 dollars worth of groceries and the grocery bagger has tattoo sleeves and a nose piercing, she might think that he/she is contaminating her food through traces of illegal substances on his/her hands; either that, or they're stealing some of her items without her knowing. But if it's stuff like construction or other heavy manual labor, then the consumers aren't really gonna give a shit because they're not gonna stand outside and watch you build their house in 104 degree weather. Hell, they might even bring you a glass of water. But when we're talking about businesses that revolve around consumers that think negatively about tattoos and piercings, then I don't think they should have the same opportunity.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 19th 2011, 05:47 AM

Body modifications do not change a person's character. I understand both sides of the argument in this, but I really think people need to stop being so judgmental.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 19th 2011, 06:05 AM

People with tattoos and piercings should still get the same opportunities as someone without them. It does not change their character or how hard they work.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 19th 2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
People with tattoos and piercings should still get the same opportunities as someone without them. It does not change their character or how hard they work.
True, it doesn't change their correct or how hard they work. However, in businesses where employees have to give a certain image to potential clients, tattoos and piercings may cause a negative look. For example, suppose someone works at a crummy diner as a waiter/waitress. It's probably not going to matter whether they have tattoos or piercings since customers aren't expecting five-star service. However, if someone goes into a 5-star world class restaurant that requires a formal dress code, having visible tattoos and piercings can create a stereotypical negative view of the waiter/waitress. To avoid shooting myself in the foot, by "negative view", I mean people with tattoos that are either large, intentionally offensive, gangster-like tattoos or large piercings. Having small ear-rings or a butterfly tattoo on the neck would be very unlikely to be seen as negative.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 19th 2011, 03:39 PM

Yes, I think they should have the same opportunities as people without body modifications. I have two tattoo's, and while they aren't visible, I would be terribly upset if my employer didn't higher me because of what I decided to do with my own body. If tattoo's are visible and not easily hidden, I could understand that there might be a problem. But, I think employer's are becoming more lenient towards employees and tattoo's. My boyfriend has a lower arm tattoo, and at one job is required to wear a long sleeved shirt underneath his work shirt. But, at his other job, they don't care. It just depends on the work place.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 20th 2011, 10:13 PM

My employer made me remove 3 ear piercings because apparently they "didn't look professional".

I think it was a little OTT since they were just regular bars/studs and not a huge industrial piercing or something.

I can understand if I was working in a really physical profession, or with food. But I work with 3-4 year-olds, it makes absolutely no difference to the job. Plus, in my last job where I worked with 1-2 year-olds (i.e. more chance of piercings being caught/grabbed), I had 16 at one point (15 in ears, 1 in nose) and my manager didn't bat an eyelid.

Therefore, I think it just comes down to the personal preference of the employer, rather than the nature of the work. I don't agree with this - I think that unless there is a proper reason (e.g. health and safety) it's a bit unnecessary to be so strict.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 21st 2011, 08:24 AM

Yet, people who modify their body are often associated with an immoral character. Personally, I think a business owner should have full discretion with hiring and firings.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 21st 2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight. View Post
Do you think that someone who has a lot of tattoos and piercings still be able to have the same opportunity as the next person if their attending a job interview?
No. Don't get me wrong. If I was an employer I wouldn't have a problem with someone with many tatoos/piercings, and I don't have a problem being served by someone with them. But if you tattoo yourself and get obvious piercings you are probably aware of the stigma that comes with that, so you need to deal with the consequences. People should have the right to do what they want with their body, but others also have the right to react accordingly. If you don't get a job because you've tatooed half your body, it's pretty much your fault.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 21st 2011, 08:10 PM

Whether you like it or not, people can and will judge each other and when you have a job it's about representing the company. If my shirt isnt tucked in it doesnt effect how I do my job but I will look scruffy. If you have lots of tattoos and piercings everywhere, lets be realistic here, it doesnt look professional. No, it doesnt change who you are as a person and yes you have the right to do what you want with your body but don't expect to get a job.

PM // VM

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
alixthetree Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: alix

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 21st 2011, 09:06 PM

No, I don't think they do. Last fall I worked at a sandwich shop for about a month and while I was they, the owners told me about an employee that came in one day with a visible tattoo on her neck and because it was against their policy and she knew it, they fired her.

Where I currently work, they haven't had much issue with tattoos but I'm not supposed to be wearing my lip piercing as it's apparently against policy. Though I know at the same location they treat people differently (another girl has a monroe and wears it every day working with food, where as a day that I forgot to take mine out I get in trouble.)

I know it's not fair but it happens.

Accept and Never
Forget Only
Life Dies.

No matter the amount of negativity you're presented with...
5 minutes from now could be your best moment.
-Mod Sun

Send a message via AIM to alixthetree Send a message via MSN to alixthetree Send a message via Skype™ to alixthetree 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 21st 2011, 09:45 PM

So far the only people in this thread saying it shouldn't matter are those who actually have tattoos/piercings etc.. Speaks a lot, i think.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 21st 2011, 09:47 PM

Perhaps in an ideal world it wouldn't matter, but sadly it does. As lots of people have said, most bosses want staff who give a professional appearance, so just like they wouldn't let you come to work in jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops, they often don't hire people with excessive tattoos or piercings. I think it's a much bigger issue that people with facial or other disfigurements don't get hired on similar grounds. At least with piercings and tattoos you've chosen to look that way.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 21st 2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
If I was interviewing two people for a potential job own with tattoos and one with no tattoos I would probably hide the one with no tattoos because I don't want to give the company a bad name I don't think it is appropriate to let tattoos show at work in a professional setting.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 22nd 2011, 07:21 AM

Some places you can't have visable tat's or any piercings for obvious reasons (ie: Military, Police, Fire Departments, etc...)

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Ali Baba Offline
Honesty, Loyalty, Respect.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alexandra

Re: Tattoos, Piercings and Work? - August 22nd 2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
No I don't. I think for a very limited amount of jobs that it might be suitable, for example if you were attending a job interview for a tattoo parlour, but otherwise I reckon someone who is heavily tattooed would have a hard time getting past the interview stage. I would love to get a small tattoo but I'm studying Law at the moment so I can't really get one. I'm thinking about a small, white ink tattoo, somewhere very hidden. I know I wouldn't get hired if I had a visible tattoo. Who would hire a tattoed lawyer in all fairness.

Closed Thread