TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 12:31 AM

http://news.aol.com/article/gregory-...-organs/384479
Quote:
An Ohio couple whose teenage son was injured in a snowboarding accident has filed a lawsuit, claiming his doctors harvested his organs before he was declared dead. Eighteen-year-old Gregory Jacobs, of Bellevue, Ohio, suffered a "closed head injury" two years ago while snowboarding on a high school-sponsored ski trip in Findley Lake, N.Y. He was airlifted to Hamot Medical Center in northwestern Pennsylvania, where he died. The suit, which was filed earlier this month, claims doctors and a representative of The Center Organ Recovery & Education (CORE), a group that helps hospitals procure donated tissue, caused Gregory's death by administering medication and by removing his breathing tube. Michael and Teresa Jacobs also allege that their son had not been formally declared brain dead when surgeons began the transplant procedure. Hamot and CORE deny any wrongdoing. Hamot says, "The care that Gregory received throughout his course of treatment at Hamot following the severe head trauma he sustained was timely, appropriate and well-documented. Proper consent was received in order for his organs to be donated and the protocols that were followed were consistent with all established donation procedures. Any claims otherwise are completely baseless. ... We will vigorously defend against any accusations of wrongdoing." A statement from CORE reads in part, "As in all donation cases, CORE followed all regulated medical protocols in the case of Gregory Jacobs. The allegations against CORE are baseless and untrue." On The Early Show Monday, co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez remarked to Michael and Teresa that many people would find it "preposterous" that a hospital would intentionally kill a young man for his organs. "Well, it's not," Michael said. Asked why he believes it, Michael resplied, "Because they did. I know they did, by the evidence of what my wife has told me." Teresa says, "The records indicated that they started harvesting procedures including the incision when he was alive. And he was not even pronounced dead until 29 minutes later. That's pretty shocking." The Jabobs' attorney, Dennis Boyle added, "Our experts are telling us that, had his organs not been taken, he may very well have survived and recovered from this accident." When Rodriguez noted that, "The hospital will tell you that they did everything on the up-and-up. ... They say Greg met the criteria for death technically." "That simply is not the case," Boyle responded. "Even the hospital's own records show that he had brain stem function minutes before he was taken to the operating room to have his organs removed. He never met the criteria for brain dead. And, in fact, he never was dead or brain dead. You know, it is shocking, but I saw the hospital statements, and the only thing we can say is we're looking forward to going into court and presenting this evidence." "To be fair," Rodriguez said, "I should say that the district attorney's investigation concluded that nothing criminal was done. The Center of Organ Recovery insists that they followed all the protocols. There seems to be, from all the investigations, no criminal liability. So why are you so strongly pursuing this?" Because," Teresa answered, "I believe that's false." What does she hope will come of this? "I would like to see the ones that are responsible for Greg's killing be held responsible," Teresa said. Michael, who signed the consent form, recalled for Rodriguez that, "They tell you that your son's brain dead and that his organs can be used for children. It's a process that they use to convince you. When you feel there's no hope or you're told that there's just absolutely no hope and that he will be dead in so many hours, you know, I decided to sign the paper for organ donation. I signed that alone. My wife had no part of that." Asked what message he has for other parents who may find themselves in that Situation, Michael said simply, "Don't do it. No one -- I found this out after O King that -- no human on Earth has the right to tell someone else they can take somebody's organs. No piece of paper should ever be allowed. If that person isn't a donor, isn't signed up to be a donor, there should be no question about it."
Speechless.......

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Mel14 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 01:50 AM

Ohmygod.....thats terrible.

I'm a house of cards in a hurricane.
A reckless ride in the pouring rain.
He cuts me and the pain is all I wanna feel.
He'll dance away just like a child.
He drives me crazy, drives me wild.
But I'm helpless when he smiles.

He broke my heart when I broke his xbox360

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 02:29 AM

I shall wait until it is confirmed/denied before passing judgement

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
I shall wait until it is confirmed/denied before passing judgement
exactly, Emotions<logic

*cough*Islam*cough*

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
exactly, Emotions<logic

*cough*Islam*cough*
*cough*religion*cough* Please excuse my coughing fit

It's not the end user's fault so much as the media's. Reading between the lines shows that the article believes this allegation to be true. While the reader should be able to differentiate between fact and fiction it can be hard with such weasel words

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 03:15 AM

Brain stem activity doesn't necessarily show that he is isn't brain dead.

Beware of the cats.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 03:45 AM

What happened to Gregory Jacobs is terrible. And unfortunately, that's not the first time a patient's imminent death has been "rushed" just so doctors can harvest organs. While I am all for helping others, this is why I'm not so sure if I'm all for being an organ donor.

What shocks me: "Our experts are telling us that, had his organs not been taken, he may very well have survived and recovered from this accident." That is extremely shocking to me. I've heard of this happening before, but only in situations in which it was evident that the victim had no chance of recovery. It is horrible that Gregory Jacobs died, when there is a possibility that he could have lived.

Organ harvesting is always a sticky situation: specifically, when do you harvest the organs? The quicker the organs are harvested, the better chance the transplants have of succeeding.

Gregory Jacobs should not have died. It is a tragedy that he died. But I don't think he died in vain, at the very least. His organs probably saved several lives.

Any time a potential organ donor is almost dead, I assume it must be a horrible choice for doctors to make. If they "rush" the death of the donor (which I, personally, do not condone), they could salvage organs to save the lives of, say, five other patients. If they wait for the donor to die naturally, his or her organs may not be usable (remember that there can't be much time between when the organs are harvested and when they must be transplanted), and it's also possible that the potential recipients of the organs could die before they received the organs.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 03:48 AM

I don't know the father's last statement kinda upsets me. I mean what if the victim is too young to have registered as an organ donor, their organs can still do a lot of good. I get that he's upset but I'm with Hyper Sonic, waiting it out.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 04:07 AM

I really hope this isn't true. If it is, that's absolutely horrible.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 04:21 AM

If the kid's going to be braindead, might as well "harvest his organs" and give some other person who may be able to live and function a chance.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 05:26 AM

Well, I sure hope not.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 06:34 AM

I really hope the parents are just grieving and making this up. If this is true, then that's just horrid.

~Cody

Normal User

(#13 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 06:45 PM

That better not be true! That's awful if it is.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 06:49 PM

Corrupt Doctors Same sh*t in China

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 07:23 PM

A skeptical man once told me that he'll never become an organ donor because they "rush" you to die if you are actually dying. I don't actually believe that, but yeah, that's horrible.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#16 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 09:00 PM

I hope this isn't true. One of the things they teach us in school is that they don't "rush" your death, they wait until you die. Stories like this are really going to hurt the potential organ donors. It's going to scare people away, making it worse for others. However, if this really happened I don't think they should be silenced about it.

--A

(#17 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Did Hospital Kill Teen For His Organs? - March 17th 2009, 09:03 PM

As much as people say that they don't "rush" your death i still have my concerns. That said, i'll willingly give all my organs when i die.

This though, is shocking if it's true.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread