TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Haruhi Offline
Kpop Fan ~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jorddii

School makes girl write Apology letter to Rapist, then she gets raped again. - August 24th 2011, 10:44 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Springfield, Missouri’s Republic School District is having its pants sued off for its shocking failure to appropriately deal with the rape, and subsequent second rape, of a 7th grade special ed student.

The girl, who is not identified by name because of her age, reported to school officials in the spring of 2009 that she had been raped by a classmate. Required by Missouri’s Child Abuse Reporting Law to report the sexual assault to the Division of Family Services or to Greene County Juvenile Authorities, the school chose not to, and instead told the girl that they did not believe her.

It gets worse.

Republic School officials, including Superintendent Vern Minor, middle school Principal Patricia Mithelavage, counselor Joni Ragain, and school resource officer Robert Duncan then forced the girl to endure “multiple intimidating interrogations” until she recanted her accusal.

The lawsuit points out that the school’s own psychological profile on the girl stated that because of her disability, she “would forego her own needs and wishes to satisfy the request of others around so that she can be accepted.” Essentially, the school’s own file on their student said she was inclined to take back her own story under duress in order to please her teachers.

It gets even worse.

Republic School District then made the girl write a letter apologizing to her rapist and forced her to deliver it to him personally, before expelling her for the rest of the school year.

The following year after she was permitted to return to school, officials denied her mother’s request for extra monitoring and refused to separate her from her alleged rapist. Although the boy continued to attack and harass her, she did not complain to the school for fear of being expelled again.

Unfortunately, it gets much worse.

In February 2010, the boy allegedly forcibly raped the girl again, this time in the back of the school library. While school officials allegedly expressed skepticism of the girl, her mother took her to the Child Advocacy Center and an exam showed a sexual assault had occurred. DNA in semen found on the girl matched the DNA of the boy she accused, the suit says.

The boy was taken into custody in Juvenile Court and pleaded guilty to charges, the suit says. The specific charges are not stated in the suit.

Ugh. That poor young girl!

The lawsuit filed this summer claims, “School Officials acted recklessly in conscious disregard of and with deliberate indifference to the risk of [the girl’s] safety by failing to conduct an investigation into her allegations of rape and sexual assault, by suspending her from school, and by failing to provide her with any protection from her rapist.” Which is kind of a no-brainer.

And finally, it gets even worse.

The Republic School District is counter-suing the girl for attorney’s fees, calling the suit frivolous and not based in fact.

The rape kit proving she was sexually assaulted is hardly fictional. And the DNA evidence proving the accused was indeed the rapist is hardly imaginary.

This school is unbelievable clearly a danger to their own students. This story makes us sick.

Source: http://fotpforums.com/showthread.php...ts-raped-again

------------

I have to say, unfortunately I know how it is to be in her position. I really do feel for this girl, what happened is absolutely awful, and the way this school reacted, even worse. Disgusting!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: School makes girl write Apology letter to Rapist, then she gets raped again. - August 24th 2011, 11:27 AM

The poor girl ='(

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: School makes girl write Apology letter to Rapist, then she gets raped again. - August 24th 2011, 04:33 PM

Poor Poor Girl, who knows what else he could had done, the people who made this happen to her should loose their jobs and they should be sued! Poor Girl!

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: School makes girl write Apology letter to Rapist, then she gets raped again. - August 24th 2011, 04:35 PM

We already have a thread on this: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f38-c...who-raped-her/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: School makes girl write Apology letter to Rapist, then she gets raped again. - August 24th 2011, 04:46 PM

Poor girl. </3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: School makes girl write Apology letter to Rapist, then she gets raped again. - August 24th 2011, 08:23 PM

Since there is already a thread on this, I'm going to go ahead and close this. The other thread can be found here.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
Closed Thread