TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 27th 2011, 02:45 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

(CNN) -- A Delaware pediatrician accused of molesting more than 100 of his patients was sentenced Friday to serve his lifetime in prison.
Earl Bradley, whose practice was in Lewes, was given the maximum sentence of 14 life terms, plus 164 years in prison without the possibility of parole, according to a statement from the office of state Attorney General Beau Biden.

He originally had faced 529 counts of rape, sexual exploitation of a child, unlawful sexual contact and other charges. In June, he was found guilty of 24 counts.

The charges include first-degree rape, forcing girls to perform oral sex on him and filming dozens of children engaging in sex acts.

Police officers and detectives, but none of the alleged victims, testified in June at a bench trial, which is held before a judge without a jury. Bradley's attorneys did not call any witnesses, nor did they make closing arguments.

The evidence against Bradley is based on video seized from his home and office, Biden has said. Public defenders in April challenged the scope of a search warrant used to acquire these tapes, but the judge ruled against them.

According to the indictment, the abuse occurred between 1998 and 2009. All but one of the 103 victims were girls, some as young as 2 years old. Police arrested Bradley in December 2009.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/26/....html?iref=NS1

--------------------

Aside from the sheer scope of this man's heinous crimes, I'm wondering why so many young children were in the doctor's office without their parents. I understand that a doctor doing this is pretty rare, but I would think a parent would want to be in the room, if only to be informed immediately of anything that might be wrong with the child.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Halo345's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 25
Gender: Other
Location: Uk

Posts: 492
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 2nd 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 27th 2011, 05:32 AM

And he can rot in hell.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 27th 2011, 07:58 AM

I'm also baffled why the parents weren't in the room with the children. For a 2 year old? Hell, a 2 year old cant even describe in detail the symptoms, so why on Earth would the parents let the kid go by themselves? I do put some of the blame on the parents because their presence would have almost certainly eliminated their children being victimized. It also calls into question, if a parent lets their 2 year old see the pediatrician by themselves, what else is the parent not around for or possibly neglecting? I'm not blaming the parents for the actual sex crimes, rather for allowing the opportunity to be wide open.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
MegaMadness's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Aussie Land

Posts: 5,564
Blog Entries: 16
Join Date: October 11th 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 27th 2011, 08:33 AM

That's terrible.


Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
chook14's Avatar
 
Name: Ella
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 208
Join Date: August 15th 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 27th 2011, 01:22 PM

That's disgusting. I can't believe that went on for 11 years. Those poor kids


"He who does not weep, does not see" - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables.

<3
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while
********
 
Jocelyn.'s Avatar
 
Name: Joce
Gender: Female
Location: Paradise

Posts: 1,135
Join Date: January 28th 2010

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 27th 2011, 02:23 PM

I have a 2 year old and I would never let him back with the doctor alone. If anything, they require you back there because they need to question you about their development and if they're reaching the appropriate milestones. If the doctor ever requested to see him alone we'd be practically running out of the door.


When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
FairyPoppins's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 859
Join Date: March 21st 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 28th 2011, 12:35 AM

I agree with the question of why these children were alone.

Even if a young child can say where it hurts, they can't give full details. Plus, any advice the doctor gives would be forgotten, so the child would just come away with a piece of paper.

This is ridiculous.

The man is a monster all the same.

I get so irate when I hear of people in positions of trust abusing kids. It gives everyone a bad name and since I work with children myself as a Nursery Teacher and am about to study to become a Paediatric Nurse, this really fucks me off!


"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 28th 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball&chain View Post
I have a 2 year old and I would never let him back with the doctor alone. If anything, they require you back there because they need to question you about their development and if they're reaching the appropriate milestones. If the doctor ever requested to see him alone we'd be practically running out of the door.
Asshole probably lied and said standard procedure.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough
*********
 
forfrosne's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 3,311
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 29th 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 28th 2011, 04:13 PM

He's sub-human. Monster.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 28th 2011, 07:38 PM

I second The Man And XX Master on this one - those children should not have been left in his company without a parent present, and I find it baffling that so many did so. That isn't to cast general aspersions on medical professionals or others working with children, I hasten to add, more that the parents are legally responsible for their child's welfare and so should be present in such matters. It doesn't detract from what this particular person did and nor should it, but it does raise questions about the slightly careless attitude to such matters which seems to be coming across. I sincerely hope I am mistaken in that regard.

On a more general note, I do not understand why the US justice system persists with imposing tariffs that are physically impossible to fulfil, like the 164 years in prison without parole. Will they soon be moving into the realm of imprisoning cadavers to ensure such sentences are adhered to? I mean, come on - call it a whole life tariff and be done with it.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Fabrication's Avatar
 
Name: Fallon
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Kansas

Posts: 585
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: April 20th 2011

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 28th 2011, 08:49 PM

I agree with everyone on why those children were being left alone seeing as they are little (ie. one being a 2 year old) they can't describe what is wrong. Even I am 12 almost 13 and my mother still comes in the room with me.
The man is a monster and deserves every punishment he received.
he needs to rot in hell. 'nuff said


"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 29th 2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
I second The Man And XX Master on this one - those children should not have been left in his company without a parent present, and I find it baffling that so many did so. That isn't to cast general aspersions on medical professionals or others working with children, I hasten to add, more that the parents are legally responsible for their child's welfare and so should be present in such matters. It doesn't detract from what this particular person did and nor should it, but it does raise questions about the slightly careless attitude to such matters which seems to be coming across. I sincerely hope I am mistaken in that regard.
Would it be grounds to investigate those parents as it does imply some neglect from their careless attitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
On a more general note, I do not understand why the US justice system persists with imposing tariffs that are physically impossible to fulfil, like the 164 years in prison without parole. Will they soon be moving into the realm of imprisoning cadavers to ensure such sentences are adhered to? I mean, come on - call it a whole life tariff and be done with it.
The issue with calling it a life tariff/sentence is it doesn't mean the person must remain incarcerated for life, since the government can overrule and grant parole/probation or completely let the person go. So what you're suggesting does in fact exist. I agree, it is silly to give a sentence of 164 years, especially since Bradley is around 58 years old. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Bradley


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 29th 2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Would it be grounds to investigate those parents as it does imply some neglect from their careless attitude?
Possibly - it would need far more information than is present in the article though. It should certainly raise some alarm bells with the social services if it hasn't already though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
The issue with calling it a life tariff/sentence is it doesn't mean the person must remain incarcerated for life, since the government can overrule and grant parole/probation or completely let the person go. So what you're suggesting does in fact exist. I agree, it is silly to give a sentence of 164 years, especially since Bradley is around 58 years old. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Bradley
I'm not sure how it works in other jurisdictions, but in the UK when a "whole life tariff" is applied it is meant as life without parole. The grounds for releasing someone on licence in such circumstances is I believe limited solely to compassionate grounds such as terminal illness, and only then if their risk to the public is suitably low. Otherwise, they stay inside until they die. If the US justice system wishes to achieve likewise it could follow the same model and it would at least make more sense than setting implausible tariffs which if anything suggest someone doesn't know how to count. As you say, it's pretty silly.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 30th 2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
I'm not sure how it works in other jurisdictions, but in the UK when a "whole life tariff" is applied it is meant as life without parole. The grounds for releasing someone on licence in such circumstances is I believe limited solely to compassionate grounds such as terminal illness, and only then if their risk to the public is suitably low. Otherwise, they stay inside until they die. If the US justice system wishes to achieve likewise it could follow the same model and it would at least make more sense than setting implausible tariffs which if anything suggest someone doesn't know how to count. As you say, it's pretty silly.
Canada can a "dangerous offender status", in which the sentence for whatever crime can be indeterminate and last until life. Getting on parole/probation for that is extremely difficult. It seems the US finds this unconstitutional.

I have a question for the UK approach: are wrongful convictions ever examined and if so, are those people exonerated? I do like the idea of having a life sentence where the person actually serves their entire life in prison and not just a part of it, otherwise, it shouldn't be called "life without parole". I'm not sure how the prison situation is in the UK but in the US, as I'm sure you know, it's massively over-populated, which has led to people being released early to make room for others. They're not let free completely, they usually have some monitoring, whether it be house-arrest anklets or something else.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Pediatrician Ordered To Spend Life In Prison For Molesting Patients - August 30th 2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Canada can a "dangerous offender status", in which the sentence for whatever crime can be indeterminate and last until life. Getting on parole/probation for that is extremely difficult. It seems the US finds this unconstitutional.
That's pretty similar to the grounds on which a whole life tariff is applied here, I think - it certainly sounds comparable. If the US find that unconstitutional despite imposing 100-year-plus sentences then frankly I find that baffling. Having said that, it wouldn't be the first thing in the US Constitution I find baffling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I have a question for the UK approach: are wrongful convictions ever examined and if so, are those people exonerated? I do like the idea of having a life sentence where the person actually serves their entire life in prison and not just a part of it, otherwise, it shouldn't be called "life without parole". I'm not sure how the prison situation is in the UK but in the US, as I'm sure you know, it's massively over-populated, which has led to people being released early to make room for others. They're not let free completely, they usually have some monitoring, whether it be house-arrest anklets or something else.
Yes, they can be examined and that is currently the responsibility of the Criminal Cases Review Commission. They have the power to review cases and decide whether they should be referred to the Court of Appeal or Supreme Court. Depending on the outcome of that appeals process, an offender may then be exonerated as with any other case if the setence is quashed. The prison situation here is comparable with the US; however, the guidelines at present I believe employ a triage-esque situation when it comes to early release, such that those on shorter sentences will be released first if required (subject to usual parole requirements). Those with whole life tariffs will not be.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
life, molesting, ordered, patients, pediatrician, prison, spend

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.