TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Christ lover- Offline
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Angry FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 12:37 AM

This is just COMPLETLY nuts because they are trying to cut down on bomb threats and guns shootings they want to cut down on that THE STUPID part is ALL they can controlis CELL phones IN the school calling outside sources in You could call from home OR if you go to the same school arrange it at your house. What's even STUPIDER is the punishment ALL you get is your cell phone taken up and FEDERAL law with NO jail time NO nothing
I got this from teachers at school do you find this to be an attemp at safety that WILL NOT WORK plus many of us use it anynow because in class they aren't going to focusing on taking up CELL PHONES I just think this is STUPID to do.
  Send a message via AIM to _Christ lover- Send a message via MSN to _Christ lover-  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 12:43 AM

I couldn't find anything about a law being proposed about this, do you have a source?

I think that cell phones should be allowed during school hours, for instance when you have breaks and are at lunch. I don't see the problem with being able to phone your mother to tell her to pick you up or something. During class, I don't think they should be allowed.

--A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Christ lover- Offline
Average Joe

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 12:48 AM

The teachers were telling us this after a phone went off in math today.
  Send a message via AIM to _Christ lover- Send a message via MSN to _Christ lover-  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 12:57 AM

I'd definitely like to see a source.

Also, if you want to make an argument for it, not shouting about it builds credibility.

So here's my view:
Why do you need cell phones in school anyway? Have them in school, but there's no need to pull them out unless you're in a life threatening situation or need it due to an emergency. Need it for extra curriculars after school? Keep it turned off and in your locker. There's no reason to text/other cell phone in class anyway. There are so many things phones can do these days that teachers really don't have much control over what is going on. There's simply no reason for it.
I do see it as a safety enhancing measure, probably because I've seen it first hand - a student called in a bomb threat from her cell phone in the school bathroom. It caused a HUGE problem, including a student having to go to the hospital because of a panic attack that ended with her passing out and hitting her head.

Whether it would work or not is questionable. Any kind of law generally makes people try to test it. I also don't believe it should be something at the federal level. It is noto a matter of national security. Strengthen local/state mandates, sure. But leave it to them. National government has other things to worry about.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
_Christ lover- Offline
Average Joe

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emily~ View Post
I'd definitely like to see a source.

Also, if you want to make an argument for it, not shouting about it builds credibility.

So here's my view:
Why do you need cell phones in school anyway? Have them in school, but there's no need to pull them out unless you're in a life threatening situation or need it due to an emergency. Need it for extra curriculars after school? Keep it turned off and in your locker. There's no reason to text in class anyway.
I do see it as a safety enhancing measure, probably because I've seen it first hand - a student called in a bomb threat from her cell phone in the school bathroom. It caused a HUGE problem, including a student having to go to the hospital because of a panic attack that ended with her passing out and hitting her head.

Whether it would work or not is questionable. Any kind of law generally makes people try to test it. I also don't believe it should be something at the federal level. It is noto a matter of national security. Strengthen local/state mandates, sure. But leave it to them. National government has other things to worry about.
BINGO They make a law, but have really NO punishment I mean I get my phone taken up for a max of a year WOW. How many people youu think that will stop?I mean it's not like cell phones are 1000s of dollars or anything ether just buy a new one that won't stop many people.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 01:11 AM

It's not a matter of what punishments they have for it. At a federal level, the government shouldn't be mandating cell phone usage in schools because it is NOT a matter of national security. I don't care about what punishments they have. It's not something that belongs at the federal governmental level.
Still, getting your phone taken for a year? That can be painful for some people. Some people literally have their life in their cell phones. You lose a lot if you get it taken away. Yeah, you can replace the phone or change your service, but the information you once had is gone. And hell, speaking from a parent's perspective? If you were stupid enough to use your phone when you know the consequences, you don't deserve a replacement.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#7 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 01:13 AM

It's dumb, I mean I'm not in high school anymore, but I would have gone hungry a lot if I couldn't text my parents to bring me food after school when I had rehearsal, as I had no car to go get some myself. Also one day we had a lock down and I would have spent the entire hour freaking out if I wasn't able to text my friend who was texting his dad who is a cop to figure out what was going on. I think that cell phones are important to have, you had better silence them during class, but other than that who cares.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Curioser and curioser . . .
Average Joe

Name: Reid

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 01:19 AM

I can't find anything about this anywhere. Honestly, I think your teachers were just trying to scare you.

If it is true, it doesn't sound like a good idea, kids will still use them, and teachers probably won't care.
Though, I do agree, cell phones in class is bad. During breaks and lunch they're fine, though.

. . . yay short posts

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want
them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”
-Albert Einstein

(#9 (permalink)) Old
_Christ lover- Offline
Average Joe

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 01:26 AM

I mean if it is true everyone have to be on board because a law like that is hard to enforce since the police can not be EVERYWHERE at once.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 01:28 AM

Phones should be allowed in school. Turned off for lessons, yes. But i don't see anything wrong with being on your phone at break or lunch?

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 03:27 AM

Source or it doesn't exist.

Despite that, we had cell phone issues in our highschool, such as people texting answer to other people with their phones on mute. Sometimes people who weren't in the class or had already done the course and were not in class would text people in class. But, if the phones in class were to be turned off, that would be fine. Outside of class, I see no reason why it'd be a problem, providing you don't shout on the phone in the hallway and bother other classes.

In university, I haven't had a professor that cared if the phones went off in a lecture, providing you didn't answer it. If you turn it off, then he/she didn't care. During a test, it can get you into shit, especially if the phone is with you, and depending on the profs and TAs, you automatically lose and fail the test. During tutorials, it can get annoying. During labs, it just makes things all that more hazardous because you're not watching the experiment with your full attention.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 03:39 AM

Cell phones should not be allowed in school. PERIOD. They're not needed to learn, if there's an emergency school's have their own phones. It doesn't necessarily need to be made into a law, it should be common sense. Kids are so spoiled not that they think they have a right to it.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

Last edited by Tara.; March 18th 2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: spelling

(#13 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 04:45 AM

^I went to a school with 4000 students, when the hurricane season of 2004 hit us in Florida there were multiple occasions of the school making us leave early. You think that it's practical to make 4000 students use the school phones to get in touch with their parents. Sorry but cell phones are a necessity. What about students with extracurricular activities, or jobs that don't get a chance to go home and get their cell phones. Why should they have to go the whole day without a way for anyone to get in touch with them?

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 04:55 AM

What about shootings ? Or any other emergency !! I found something similar of source http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...EA.cspx?rss=20

Last edited by Blackwing; March 18th 2009 at 05:01 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 05:07 AM

Looks like someone kind of got a source.

They have phones in every class room at schools, and one for public use, so I don't think cell phones are necessary. And honestly, I get pissed off when I see people constantly texting to someone who is in their next class, it's just stupid and annoying because then they don't listen to the lesson and waste our time by asking stupid questions which the teacher already answered. Is it so hard to just talk to your friends next period?

What happened to the good old days of passing notes?
  Send a message via MSN to WhySoSerious?  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 05:11 AM

But its for one state I don't see a federal one!

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 05:21 AM

People survived school not having a cell phone with them for hundreds of years. There are still payphones on most campuses if you really need to call someone. Honestly I think cell phones are just hurting students more then helping them. Texting in class is becoming a huge problem.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
^I went to a school with 4000 students, when the hurricane season of 2004 hit us in Florida there were multiple occasions of the school making us leave early. You think that it's practical to make 4000 students use the school phones to get in touch with their parents. Sorry but cell phones are a necessity. What about students with extracurricular activities, or jobs that don't get a chance to go home and get their cell phones. Why should they have to go the whole day without a way for anyone to get in touch with them?
Schools have more than one phone line. Schools prepare for emergency situations (they're supposed to anyway). That'd be something they pre-plan. Ten years ago students got along just find without cell phones. Students use cell phones as a distraction, texting others students.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 11:56 AM

Cell phones are a very nice luxury to be able to use before and after school, and while I don't think a federal law is necessary, I do understand the frustrations towards using a phone in any way while school is in session.

Also, I would like to see a source on this.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 18th 2009, 01:16 PM

I don't think cell phones should be banned from schools, but restricted use of them would be good. At my college there is a strict cell phone policy, which is up to the instructors to interpet and enforce. Some of the professors here hate cell phones going off in class and hate it when people are texting, so they take the cell phone away or ignore it. A few of them tell people to put the phones up, and then go into rants about people texting in class. And although people still use their cell phones, not everyone does.Only a few text in class.

I guess my point is a strict cell phone policy in high schools might be useful, but banning cell phones altogether would not work.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Manarius Offline
More than meets the eye
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jason

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 01:50 AM

I don't know if it's federal, but many schools have implemented some sort of ban on use. This article is from a couple years ago but...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1616330.shtml

I think cell phones should be allowed in school as long as they are turned off and they are provisioned for emergency use only. If you get caught using it during class, you lose it. You don't need to be able to send text messages during class or make phone calls between classes. School is for learning, not to strengthen your social sphere.
 Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 01:53 AM

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?!!?

They can't do that... that is COMPLETELY ridiculous!!! I have to keep in contact with my mother, what if she needs me!!! That is FAR more important than school. Plus, as long as it's not disrupting other students learning, there should be no problem with it. If you don't want to pay attention, your grades will reflect that. Teachers are not babysitting goody goody two shoes. This is insane. I will keep my phone with me.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 01:54 AM

They can take my phone from my cold dead texting fingers

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost-myself View Post
WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?!!?

They can't do that... that is COMPLETELY ridiculous!!! I have to keep in contact with my mother, what if she needs me!!! That is FAR more important than school. Plus, as long as it's not disrupting other students learning, there should be no problem with it. If you don't want to pay attention, your grades will reflect that. Teachers are not babysitting goody goody two shoes. This is insane. I will keep my phone with me.
Some parts of this quote can be easily resolved. What if your mother needs you so desperately? Simple: get home schooled and problem is solved.

But, for the majority, they go to a school. Notice the bolded part? It's a pretty big problem: how do you get the phones to not disrupt? Simple: you ban them. But, that in itself leads to large problems. It does disrupt and it does get used for cheating. It leads to more distraction, which is a contributor to poorer grades.

Overall though, schools have several phones in case an emergency occurs. That, and the schools tend to be located in close proximity to many other buildings or houses and people. So, if an emergency occurs, many others around the school are there to help.

It'd be ideal if you could have them and the kids didn't use them to cheat and result in distractions. However, that doesn't happen. Some kids may have phones and not use them to cheat or cause distractions, however, the majority clearly do use them to cheat and such.

Ideally, use the phones outside the school building and not call people inside would be ideal for getting rid of this issue of cheating and distractions.

So, to all the ones who use it for cheating and such I support it a ban on it. You had cell phones, you knew cheating was not allowed, you knew distractions bothered everyone, yet they persisted. It's your fault, learn to live without it. People managed to get by for hundreds of years without using cell phones, so you can too.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Some parts of this quote can be easily resolved. What if your mother needs you so desperately? Simple: get home schooled and problem is solved.

But, for the majority, they go to a school. Notice the bolded part? It's a pretty big problem: how do you get the phones to not disrupt? Simple: you ban them. But, that in itself leads to large problems. It does disrupt and it does get used for cheating. It leads to more distraction, which is a contributor to poorer grades.

Overall though, schools have several phones in case an emergency occurs. That, and the schools tend to be located in close proximity to many other buildings or houses and people. So, if an emergency occurs, many others around the school are there to help.

It'd be ideal if you could have them and the kids didn't use them to cheat and result in distractions. However, that doesn't happen. Some kids may have phones and not use them to cheat or cause distractions, however, the majority clearly do use them to cheat and such.

Ideally, use the phones outside the school building and not call people inside would be ideal for getting rid of this issue of cheating and distractions.

So, to all the ones who use it for cheating and such I support it a ban on it. You had cell phones, you knew cheating was not allowed, you knew distractions bothered everyone, yet they persisted. It's your fault, learn to live without it. People managed to get by for hundreds of years without using cell phones, so you can too.
I just want to say that it's not the phones that cause bad grades it's the students themselves. I texted in class plenty of times, never to other students though just my parents. Especially when I was waiting for college letters. I NEVER cheated with my phone. Yet somehow I've managed to be accepted to 18 colleges and 5 honors programs, wow having my cell phone in school definitely destroyed my education.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
LoveMeNot Offline
Average Joe

Name: Shelly

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 02:46 PM

They're pulling this kinda stuff at my school. Except everything has escalated, and now teachers are taking out mp3 players/Ipods etc, and making us take them to the office.

---------------------------
I'm not your princess,
This an't our fairy tail.
I'm gonna find someone someday
Who might actually treat me well

---------------------------
I'll Keep You My Dirty Little Secret

(#27 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I just want to say that it's not the phones that cause bad grades it's the students themselves. I texted in class plenty of times, never to other students though just my parents. Especially when I was waiting for college letters. I NEVER cheated with my phone. Yet somehow I've managed to be accepted to 18 colleges and 5 honors programs, wow having my cell phone in school definitely destroyed my education.
The students to cause bad grades but phones can be a method to help do so.

I'm going to quote myself because you seem unable to fully read what I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare
So, to all the ones who use it for cheating and such I support it a ban on it. You had cell phones, you knew cheating was not allowed, you knew distractions bothered everyone, yet they persisted. It's your fault, learn to live without it. People managed to get by for hundreds of years without using cell phones, so you can too
Notice the part in bold? If you don't use it to cheat, then I wasn't referring to you. Read carefully before jumping to conclusions.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 06:32 PM

Cell phones being banned from schools is idiotic. I think kids should turn their phones off in class, but be able to use them between classes and at lunch. The school should be able to set the rules in regards to punishment for having your phone on in class.

And anyway, wouldn't it be better that kids have cell phones so that if there's an emergency inside the school, they can have a way of contacting their parents or the authorities?

And what about teachers that use their phones during class? Do they get punished for it? I think they should.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#29 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Notice the part in bold? If you don't use it to cheat, then I wasn't referring to you. Read carefully before jumping to conclusions.
No I did see that but what I getting from you is that you're still saying that cell phones should be banned simply because some students use them to cheat. I've never been a fan of punishing the many for the crimes of the few.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 08:01 PM

This is already a state law here [Rhode Island], students are not allowed to use cell phones in school. First time a teacher catches a student using it, they hold the phone until the end of the day. Second time, it goes to a safe in the main office and a parent has to come pick it up. Third time, the phone goes to the police station. However this is a law not enforced by many teachers..I know quite a few teachers at my school are pretty lax about it and will let us use our phones to call home etc. There are ways to get around it tho..students know how to text or make calls without the teacher seeing/hearing and we're allowed to use our phones once we get outside.

In the case of emergencies, I do believe our teachers would let us use our phones but there wouldn't really be a need to. Most cities in my state have something called 'Ed-Connect' which is basically where the principal of a school/superintendant of a district can make a call that goes to every student's home; therefore, parents are aware when school is closing early because of an emergency, when there are fires, etc. Therefore cells aren't needed.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 08:10 PM

My cousin's school completely banned cell phones. They're not even allowed bring them into the building. Granted, it's a small school of only 80 but still.

If teachers did their jobs properly then they could catch the kids who were using their phones and punish them.

I don't think an overall ban is needed, but something does need to be done. Too many people are texting in class. It's so ridiculous.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 20th 2009, 10:01 PM

Heh. I use my phone in class all the time. And I'm one of the top students. So yeah, it may be a temporary distraction, but a lot of the time, it's a necessary break, and for those who actually want to learn, it evidently doesn't hold them back.

As for the actual law..pfft. Campus rules state no phones in class. Teachers use their phones at times.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: FEDERAL law banning cell phone use in school - March 25th 2009, 10:23 PM

I think cell phones are necessary in school, but they should be put away during classes and lunch. Some of you might disagree with me on the second one, but I go to a high school where there are three different lunch times. It'd be easy for students taking tests to text to someone in lunch for answers. It'd lessen the risk factor of getting caught by half because the only way to get caught is if the testing student got caught texting, not both students.

And I also agree that the majority of the problem has to do with a student's work ethic. I'm an honors/AP student and I've texted in class before, but I'm on the honor roll and I keep up with my work.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

Closed Thread