TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Disclosure.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 5,589
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: October 9th 2009

Question How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 10:44 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So 9/11 is just around the corner, marking 10 years since the tragedy. How will you remember that day and what does it mean to you?


   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
MegaMadness's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Aussie Land

Posts: 5,564
Blog Entries: 16
Join Date: October 11th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 11:53 AM

I'll remember cause of the date, like oh it's 9/11 but I'll also probably hear about it on the news, read it in the paper, hear people talk about it etc, and reflect on a it for a short while and feel sad/angry for a bit.


Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Last edited by MegaMadness; September 8th 2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: fixing spelling
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 06:05 PM

Honestly, probably not all that much. I'll probably think about it that day a lot, but I was quite young and it didn't really directly affect me. I was 8, and even though I had family almost get hurt they were fine. It is awful for those that did lose someone that day, and again I'll be thinking about that. But my day isn't going to stop because of it.



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?
**********
 
bitesize's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Ireland

Posts: 3,944
Blog Entries: 321
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 06:09 PM

Honestly, I don't know. I'd really like to do something to commemorate, even though I wasn't even eleven when it happened and I've only come to understand the full scale of the tragedy in recent months (got really into reading loads of stuff when I was procrastinating on studying for summer exams, heh.) But I don't know if there will be any local memorial events or anything, and I don't really pray, so I'm not sure what I would like to do. I cannot believe it's been ten years though, I really cannot believe it's been ten years.


Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
.....
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
...
...
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Halo345's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 25
Gender: Other
Location: Uk

Posts: 492
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 2nd 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 06:34 PM

I'll be doing this...

   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 06:53 PM

I'll remember what happened on that day in 2001 and those who died as a result, but more importantly I will be doing what those who flew the planes into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon wanted to stop - living my life as part of Western society. That to my mind is the best way of honouring those killed and sticking two fingers up to whose who would commit such acts in the first place.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while
********
 
Jocelyn.'s Avatar
 
Name: Joce
Gender: Female
Location: Paradise

Posts: 1,135
Join Date: January 28th 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 07:04 PM

As the time gets closer, its really starting to hit me again how truly tragic 9/11 was.

For the longest time the thought of the events of that day and people talking about them just annoyed me to be honest. For some reason that damn Toby Keith song would pop in to my head every time and all I could think about was idiot rednecks talking about sticking a boots up people's asses and that POS George Bush. What happened after the attacks really overshadowed the actual event in my eyes for a long long time.

I was only in 8th grade and I remember watching the plane hit the second tower, I remember watching them fall, I remember the panic and the fear. For some reason these past few days everything has flooded back in to my memory. I'm really happy it has in a way so I can go back to having some appreciation and respect for those that sacrificed their lives that day to save people, and continue to morn those who lost their lives so suddenly.

I won't be doing anything special to remember 9/11 besides having some quiet moments to myself or maybe watching some documentaries on tv.


When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while
********
 
Riddikulus's Avatar
 
Name: Ask me :)
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere!

Posts: 1,094
Blog Entries: 183
Join Date: January 4th 2011

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 07:18 PM

I was on holiday in America when it happened, and even though i was only young i will always remember hearing about it and how scary and upsetting it was for everyone. Also with it being on the news and stuff, and with cadets we have a memorial service.


'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'



Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12


RIP Peter <3
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough
*********
 
escape_thereal_world's Avatar
 
Name: Kelly
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 3,097
Blog Entries: 98
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 08:39 PM

I'll be at my grandparents celebrating Grandparents Day...such a horrible day to fall on

I'll pray that evening, just as always. 9/11 is a very hard time for my family...Other than thinking about it, probably will not do anything else. Once we get a home, I'm planting a "patriotic" garden in honor of all who died and who it affected. So one day!
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Zyzz's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 960
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 09:33 PM

Well it really didnt do anything to me honestly, So I most likely wont do much, I might watch documentaries on tv about it if I feel bored.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while
********
 
*CatchingStars*'s Avatar
 
Name: Corri
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Washington in 2 months

Posts: 1,157
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: August 31st 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 10:25 PM

my school does the moment of silence and in our history classes we talk about it freashmen do it in there health class




Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.


   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 7th 2011, 11:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZFkZiwMLZ4

Watching that, crying a little bit, and remembering the events of that awful day. I will probably be going to my church's memorial mass that evening. I think there's something happening on my college campus that night as well - a candlelight ceremony on the International Promenade.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 8th 2011, 12:11 AM

Kinda hard to forget, being literally across the river from what happened that day.

Not much I can do anyway, really. Spare some thoughts for it, and continue to live my life accordingly, similar to what dr2005 said. Can't believe its already been 10 years though.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 8th 2011, 12:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCP6b...eature=related - This is probably going to be on repeat on my ipod. I won't be doing much, but I will be thinking about it.



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,532
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 8th 2011, 12:57 AM

I was only in the 3rd grade when 9/11 happened but I remember the chaos that was going on and it was a complete tragedy. I watch documentaries and I think about all those lives that were lost and I pray that they found some comfort in the past 10 years. I will always remember 9/11 and I always light a candle in memory of those who's lives were lost.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Jas's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Location: London

Posts: 338
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 8th 2011, 07:25 AM

I remember - I remember not understanding what was really happening, feeling sad that I would never see the NY skyline the way it was 'supposed to be'. My mum wanted to pull me out of school because many people in different cities thought they would be the next city to be attacked, that it would be far more wide spread than it was. I traveled a lot that year, and I remember as security measures went up and up - there were tanks in front of the embassy when I was in Tokyo, that was new.

So I remember, but as far as how I *will* remember 9/11, ON 9/11? I don't think I'll do anything differently. It's been 10 years. We've moved on. It was tragic, and I feel for those who were more personally affected, but I don't feel a need to mark it out specially anymore.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
messed_up Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
messed_up's Avatar
 
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: New York, USA

Posts: 36
Join Date: February 13th 2011

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 9th 2011, 12:52 AM

I live in NY. I was in school and remember the principal going from grade to grade telling us what happened. I remember thinking my dad works right behind those buildings. That day everyone went home. one by one parents came to pick up their children. My parents came later and I was so relieved to see my dad. When I think back to that day I think how lucky it is that my dad decided to not cut through between the towers to go to a meeting like he was supposed to do at the exact moment the first tower got hit. I know how easily I could have lost him. I remember that a couple days later my parents tried to go to the office to retrieve the equipment. My dad had to beg the cops to let him go up. I remember them coming home with dust all over them. Every time I pass by ground zero I think of the people I know who lost someone that day. There was actually an earthquack here a couple weeks ago and it was hit the hardest downtown. People started running out of building screaming because they thought it was another attack. I think of 9/11 and I think of the day NY changed forever.


What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Hypothesis.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dez
Age: 23
Gender: They/them.
Location: Connecticut, USA

Posts: 19,250
Blog Entries: 139
Join Date: November 16th 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 9th 2011, 02:00 AM

I'll think about it a lot, and maybe look back on it for a moment, but that's all. It happened when I was in kindergarten, and a year or two, though, I watched the footage on the TV and cried my eyes out. I may do that again.


   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 9th 2011, 03:30 AM

I remember everything that happened that day. I was in 7th grade, in band class when we got the news. A man in a black suit, sunglasses, and a black briefcase that none of us knew came to the door. Our teacher went out into the hall with him and came back almost 10 minutes later with tears in his eyes and broke the news. Our hearts sank. For the rest of the day, the entire middle school had the news on... I don't think any of us actually did any schoolwork that day.

I always wonder who that man in the black suit was and why he approached my teacher the way he did. I don't think I'll ever know.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 9th 2011, 04:52 AM

I'll remember it as an important historical event I was around to witness on the news. On that day it happened, we were in assembly and as we went back to our homerooms, the principal called our teacher out of the room for a few minutes. When he came back in, he looked like he'd seen a ghost, sat down in his chair, put his head on his desk and cried. I figured someone he knew died. Our principal let us out early that day and I saw many teachers crying, which started to confuse me. As I waited for my father to pick me up from school, I heard people saying a plane hit a building. When I got home, I saw on the news the numerous replays of the first Twin Tower hit. I then saw as the second plane hit the second Twin Towers as well as when they fell.

To me, it means telling those who committed such crimes to fuck off and die elsewhere without causing such harm. The subsequent social effects of Middle Eastern people being viewed as suspicious is a reminder to me that people aren't in the same boat and to not let that event ruin my life.

One of my uncles was in New York at the time, so I was worried he died. However, he said that he was able to wrap up his meetings there earlier than expected, so he was in the air on a different plane while it happened.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 9th 2011, 05:06 AM

As I said on the other one, I will not got to a remembrance event, but instead will go volunteer at a non-profit organization and attend a chalk festival with a friend, not because of the day but because those thing were simply scheduled for the 11th as being a convenient Sunday.

Privately I will listen and watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGu0EA3Apog which is paired with a song by Tori Amos called I Can't See New York, which came off her walkabout album which my father says she did after 9/11, "and the world didn't make any sense anymore".
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
~Mr. Self Destruct~'s Avatar
 
Name: Matt
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Australia

Posts: 639
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: June 16th 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 9th 2011, 12:36 PM

I'll moan at the mindless nationalism and mourn those lives lost.
More importantly, I'll remember this as a horrid perpetuation of violence, and the 130,00 plus Middle-Eastern civillians killed in the following events as a direct consquence of extremism and retalliation.
I'll remember 9/11 as the day I watched hideous destruction unfold upon my young eyes at 2:00 AM one morning.
I'll remember 9/11 as an event that has proved to me, throughout the years, that when violence and terrorism prevail to instill fear and hate amongst a sea of hearts, that no positive effects will resonate. I don't sympathise with either side, and I mourn all civillians lost as a directly due to the corruption and hatred of mankind. I shall also remember all militants passed, be they Western or Eastern, "hostile" or "ally".
I'll remember the senseless loss of life.
(Sorry if it sounded awfully cliche and speech-esque ).


One million miles away...
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Harmony♥'s Avatar
 
Name: Shannon
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: IRAW!

Posts: 5,741
Blog Entries: 11
Join Date: March 31st 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 9th 2011, 03:41 PM

I'll watch the news coverage of that day, documentaries, and I'm thinking of buying or picking up the 9/11 Commission book that came out a few years ago, their thoughts of what happened are within.

I can still imagine everything that happened that day.











I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant




HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough
*********
 
Sincerely Yours ♥'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,042
Blog Entries: 26
Join Date: July 4th 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 11th 2011, 07:58 PM

Just thinking about it makes me sad. I woke up to a text saying "happy 9/11". I see no reason to be happy.

I'm remembering it by staying home & looking up stuff online about it.
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Hypothesis.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dez
Age: 23
Gender: They/them.
Location: Connecticut, USA

Posts: 19,250
Blog Entries: 139
Join Date: November 16th 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 12th 2011, 02:04 AM

What I actually did end up doing was watching some of the footage in the morning, and then listened to some of the names of the victims being called out on NBC, and then looked up some of the music like Heaven 9/11, and watched some videos dedicated to the event.


   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 12th 2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mr. Self Destruct~ View Post
I'll moan at the mindless nationalism and mourn those lives lost.
More importantly, I'll remember this as a horrid perpetuation of violence, and the 130,00 plus Middle-Eastern civillians killed in the following events as a direct consquence of extremism and retalliation.
I'll remember 9/11 as the day I watched hideous destruction unfold upon my young eyes at 2:00 AM one morning.
I'll remember 9/11 as an event that has proved to me, throughout the years, that when violence and terrorism prevail to instill fear and hate amongst a sea of hearts, that no positive effects will resonate. I don't sympathise with either side, and I mourn all civillians lost as a directly due to the corruption and hatred of mankind. I shall also remember all militants passed, be they Western or Eastern, "hostile" or "ally".
I'll remember the senseless loss of life.
(Sorry if it sounded awfully cliche and speech-esque ).
This is the most reasonable response I've seen. Three thousand deaths is sad, to be sure, but no one I've talked to has stopped to recognize that twice that many people die every hour. On the scale of human suffering, 9/11 is child's play. What's really important to 'never forget' is not the event itself but the violence and hatred that we "civilized" nations perpetuated afterward. Both sides declared jihad, but we're the ones who should be old enough to know better.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 12th 2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
This is the most reasonable response I've seen. Three thousand deaths is sad, to be sure, but no one I've talked to has stopped to recognize that twice that many people die every hour. On the scale of human suffering, 9/11 is child's play.
With respect, I would say an event which spikes the global death rate per hour by nearly 50% is not exactly "child's play" - particularly when 9/11, unlike the figure you refer to, consisted almost entirely of deaths not caused by natural causes. I do see the point you're making; I merely question the validity of the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
What's really important to 'never forget' is not the event itself but the violence and hatred that we "civilized" nations perpetuated afterward. Both sides declared jihad, but we're the ones who should be old enough to know better.
This I agree with 100%.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 12th 2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
With respect, I would say an event which spikes the global death rate per hour by nearly 50% is not exactly "child's play" - particularly when 9/11, unlike the figure you refer to, consisted almost entirely of deaths not caused by natural causes. I do see the point you're making; I merely question the validity of the comparison.
Yet if you look at the global death rate per day, it's a spike of 2%. In a month, it would be a deviation of less than 0.1% It's a lot for a single data point, yes, but there are so many points that it gets lost in the curve almost immediately. As for the manner of death; that was my point. It grabs our attention exactly because it's 'unnatural'. That said, as far as suffering goes, those deaths were essentially instant; in most places, I would think natural deaths (starvation, disease, infection, etc) are comparatively long and very painful.

So yes, it was a loss; remember it as such. But to remember this one loss and not think of all the others that go quietly by is silly, and to insult others for not doing the same is downright hypocritical.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 12th 2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Yet if you look at the global death rate per day, it's a spike of 2%. In a month, it would be a deviation of less than 0.1% It's a lot for a single data point, yes, but there are so many points that it gets lost in the curve almost immediately. As for the manner of death; that was my point. It grabs our attention exactly because it's 'unnatural'. That said, as far as suffering goes, those deaths were essentially instant; in most places, I would think natural deaths (starvation, disease, infection, etc) are comparatively long and very painful.

So yes, it was a loss; remember it as such. But to remember this one loss and not think of all the others that go quietly by is silly, and to insult others for not doing the same is downright hypocritical.
I'm not sure it's best to get into the comparative merits of death by kerosene explosion and/or building collapse contrasted with the causes you mention, but as I said I see your point. As I said in one of the other threads (of which there seem to be quite a number for one event, it should be noted), the reason why this gets more attention compared with other losses is because it radically altered both the international and domestic status quo. As Matt rightly pointed out, a lot of violence has been perpetuated as a direct result of what happened on September 11th 2001 (including the bombings in London on July 7th 2005, it could be said), and while I can't reliably comment on the situation in other countries I know the UK has been on either the highest or second-highest possible threat level available with all the ramifications therein (armed police on the streets, heightened suspicion levels generally, some dubious legal powers). True, in isolation the deaths themselves were a ripple in the global pond; in the context of modern world history, however, it's had consequences which will likely take decades to unravel. That is why I, despite being British with no further connection to the day, feel it is important to remember what happened - it is the only way to understand how we got to where we are now, both good and ill.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 13th 2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
I'm not sure it's best to get into the comparative merits of death by kerosene explosion and/or building collapse contrasted with the causes you mention, but as I said I see your point. As I said in one of the other threads (of which there seem to be quite a number for one event, it should be noted), the reason why this gets more attention compared with other losses is because it radically altered both the international and domestic status quo. As Matt rightly pointed out, a lot of violence has been perpetuated as a direct result of what happened on September 11th 2001 (including the bombings in London on July 7th 2005, it could be said), and while I can't reliably comment on the situation in other countries I know the UK has been on either the highest or second-highest possible threat level available with all the ramifications therein (armed police on the streets, heightened suspicion levels generally, some dubious legal powers). True, in isolation the deaths themselves were a ripple in the global pond; in the context of modern world history, however, it's had consequences which will likely take decades to unravel. That is why I, despite being British with no further connection to the day, feel it is important to remember what happened - it is the only way to understand how we got to where we are now, both good and ill.
I agree with that, and if the commemorative discussion tended along those lines I'd probably not be grousing. Like you say, the deaths were vastly less important than what caused them and what they caused, yet I rarely see anyone mention much besides the deaths themselves. For most people that I run across it's mostly just paying respect to the dead, which is where I start throwing numbers.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Halo345's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 25
Gender: Other
Location: Uk

Posts: 492
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 2nd 2009

Re: How will you remember 9/11? - September 13th 2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Both sides declared jihad, but we're the ones who should be old enough to know better.
I would question your definition of "jihad". If you mean by the Arabic translation of "struggle", "resistance", etc.. then I could agree with you (even thought that doesn't fix the context presented). But if you are stating we declared a "holy war", which the extremest have used to justify their behavior, then I can not.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
9 or 11, remember

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.