TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Halo345's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 25
Gender: Other
Location: Uk

Posts: 492
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 2nd 2009

Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 7th 2011, 10:50 PM

With 9/11 coming up, everyone is asking what are you going to do in rememberence of that faithful day? I've heard a slue of anwsers ranging from saying a pray, putting up a flag, leaving a FB status to Joining the military, raising money for those effected, to sending thank you cards to all the FDNY firehouses. But some responses have shocked me, to say the least.

I've heard and had people tell me they will simply doing nothing. That since they don't feel that those events didn't effect them, that theres no need for them to do anything. That they have better things to do then recap something that happened a decade ago. That what happened on that day, means nothing today...

Let's recap what happened on that day for those of you that forgot...
-Nearly 3,000 people died that day
-343 FDNY firefighters and paramedics gave their lives trying to save the innocent
-NYPD and the Port Authority lost a combined 60 officers attempting to keep the peace and save victums
-The largest attack on US soil, in all US history, happened that day
-We had OUR twin towers destroyed, OUR Pentagon was badly damaged and thanks to those on Flight 93, OUR Washington DC was not damaged
-We were propelled into two wars, that has left over 6,000 US troops dead
-We no longer believed that we were safe in our country. The idea that the US could not and would not be attacked is gone.

This doesn't even list the emotional damage and impact it had on this country, and even more so on those who were directly effected by 9/11.

So tell me, why do people act as if this means nothing? As if the pain of that day, that the losses we faced, the confusion we felt, holds no meaning? That those who died do not, at the very least, deserve the respect to remembered on one day? Just One day.

Last edited by Halo345; September 7th 2011 at 11:20 PM.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 727888 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 7th 2011, 11:14 PM

When people say they are doing nothing, I feel as though they see no DIRECT relation to themselves - whether it is due to a lack of patriotism or the fact that they lost no one they were personally related to. It upsets me to know that there are people who are SO self-centered that they don't want to honor those who were lost (or those who lost loved ones) because it had no direct impact on their lives. It's sad. I didn't lose a loved one, but a few years ago, I interviewed someone who did and wrote an essay on it for one of my classes. When I read my paper to the class, there wasn't a single dry eye in my classroom - even though no one in my class lost anyone.

That horrible day 10 years ago is one that I will never forget, despite the fact that it had no DIRECT impact on me. Why? Because I felt the pain of those around me. I watched people cry and thought of those who left for work that morning and wouldn't be returning home (or, in my essay, where I wrote about a man who missed his usual train to his office at the WTC and because of that, he survived). But I also felt a nation come together with a hope, strength, and unity I had never experienced before. I saw support groups all over the country and people all over the world reaching out to help in one way or another. What the Taliban thought would divide and destroy the nation actually unified it in ways I would never have imagined.
That day was a day that proved that we truly are one nation, indivisible. We may have our differences (political views, etc.), but when it comes down to it, we stand firm with one another. That's a message that seems to have been lost in the last decade. I want to see the nation come back together and the 10th anniversary is a perfect time to do it.

As for what I'm doing to commemorate that day... Every year, I recall where I was and what I was doing when the attack happened... Then I bow my head in prayer for those who lost loved ones... Finally, I praise God that my family were all safe that day - the Taliban COULD have chosen another location or done something even more deadly than what they did and I thank God that it was no worse than it was (and it was devastating). I've been looking around for memorial services in my area to go to that night - to get that feeling of unity back.

We ARE one nation under God. We ARE indivisible. We ARE Americans.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 7th 2011, 11:25 PM

I am not doing nothing on September 11th. I am going to a meeting for a non-profit organization and then a chalk festival and then a clothes swap.

My friend "Uncle" Mark Reynolds died on September 11th and it was very sad for me. When the events of September 11th occurred, I was in 2nd grade and my mother came and ate lunch with me and my brother and we stayed in school the whole day despite nearly everyone else being pulled out of class. When we got home we got to see the two towers before and after and that was it. My parents told me bad men had hit the building with an airplane and a lot of people were scared.

I think many people my age, and those younger than I, have troubling remembering this day because, well, we can't remember it! There are children as old as nine who were born after it!

As a side note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gregory House View Post
We ARE one nation under God. We ARE indivisible. We ARE Americans.
I am an atheist and I find this kind of statement upsetting: the under God part. We have no officially declared religion, and the under God part of the Allegiance was inserted in the 1954 and is not 'canon' (for lack of a better word) of the nation as it was created. To declare that God is watching over the U.S.A. is nauseating to me.

Last edited by Daivia; September 7th 2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Responding to above post, spelling error
   
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while
********
 
*CatchingStars*'s Avatar
 
Name: Corri
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Washington in 2 months

Posts: 1,157
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: August 31st 2010

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 7th 2011, 11:32 PM

i swear reading this gives me the chills. when ppl say they arent doing nothing its like you live in america come on do you not care we were attacked by terrist ppl died during this and risked their lives to save those people and when they say i was like 5. so what your old enough to understand now it just makes me so mad. they cant even do the simplest thing. i mostly hate when we have moment of silence at our school and some kid is whispering the least you can do is sit quietly pay respect to those people who died because of this terrible thing that happened. it just worries me that these kids are our futrue these ppl will be our future.




Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.


   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 7th 2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I am an atheist and I find this kind of statement upsetting: the under God part. We have no officially declared religion, and the under God part of the Allegiance was inserted in the 1954 and is not 'canon' (for lack of a better word) of the nation as it was created. To declare that God is watching over the U.S.A. is nauseating to me.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm not changing my statement because your values are different from mine. In my opinion, we are one nation under God, whether you believe in Him or not. Believe what you will, but allow me to believe what I want to believe as well.
The point is that we, as a nation, are united, whether it is under God or not, but I will NOT change my statement to appease you as that was not the point of this thread.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 01:01 AM

Well I'm not really planning on doing anything. I mean I remember the day quite well, I was 12 after all. But personally I find watching the footage of it to be a bit sick and depressing. I saw it when it happened I don't need to see more footage of people jumping to their deaths to avoid being burned alive, or listen to the 911 calls of people who never made it out, thank you very much. I will think about it of course, it's really impossible not to, and I might write some kind of FB status on it. But I don't pray, and I don't buy into the whole media part of it, however I don't think that that makes me a bad person. It just makes me a person that would really like to move on.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equanimity View Post
i swear reading this gives me the chills. when ppl say they arent doing nothing its like you live in america come on do you not care we were attacked by terrist ppl died during this and risked their lives to save those people and when they say i was like 5. so what your old enough to understand now it just makes me so mad. they cant even do the simplest thing. i mostly hate when we have moment of silence at our school and some kid is whispering the least you can do is sit quietly pay respect to those people who died because of this terrible thing that happened. it just worries me that these kids are our futrue these ppl will be our future.
Sadly there will always be kids that can't be quiet during a moment of silence. It's always been like that, so I don't think it's really a reason to fear for our future.


I won't really be doing much, honestly. But I will be thinking about it a lot, and I'll probably have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCP6b...J2_aNLGmIl1_PQ on repeat on my ipod.



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 01:47 AM

I think you're misunderstanding people who say this. Mostly, anyway.

It's not that I don't want to do anything. I'm sure I'm just as sad and angry as you are over 9/11, trust me. But I personally don't get any internal satisfaction over candlelight memorials, putting up a flag, or anything like that. No matter what I do, it won't change what happened that day.

I have my memories, and these serve just me fine. I spare thoughts to those who lost loved ones that day and hope they've turned out ok. I don't call this a prayer, but it could be viewed that way. Then I live my life accordingly, because that's really all I can do. It happened 10 years ago, and I've been ready to move on for awhile. But that doesn't mean I'm ready to forget about those who died and call it a day. That will never happen.
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,647
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 01:56 AM

It's a huge deal every year and this year even moreso because it's the 10th anniversary. I still get chills when I think about it and I realize that it's a big deal to remember and everything, but after 10 years I've kind of moved on. I wasn't personally affected by it and it's been a long time now. I'm not saying I'll do nothing. I'll probably have a Facebook status up and my flag will be out.

I think as time goes on you're going to get more of that kind of response because people will move on more and younger people who were too young to remember or not born yet get older and it won't mean as much to them.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
eaty's Avatar
 
Name: Sarah
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Posts: 969
Blog Entries: 349
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 03:56 AM

For me, I can partly understand the people who don't do anything. The first few years after, it didn't really effect me. Some years I watched the memorial on the news, but it wasn't a big deal to me. But that was because I wasn't effected by it personally, I was 7 at the time. Like I understood how big a deal it was, and understood how much it sucked and hurt everyone.

Then it all changed a few years ago, when I met some FDNY firefighters who I am good friends with now. And heard their stories of the day, one of them seriously almost died that day and she means a lot to me. Since then, my whole thoughts about that day have changed. More so when I finally joined the fire service as a firefighter a couple years ago, because now in a way. Those 343 firefighters who died, even though I never met them in a way, they are family to me. Now every year, it is on my mind. I stop and just think of that day, and the people I know who were effected by it, and the people they knew. I pay my respect to FDNY every year, and almost every day.

So I understand both sides of it.


Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
I've heard and had people tell me they will simply doing nothing. That since they don't feel that those events didn't effect them, that theres no need for them to do anything. That they have better things to do then recap something that happened a decade ago. That what happened on that day, means nothing today...
Just One day.

I won't be doing anything of importance or commemoration 9/11. But that doesn't mean that I don't believe the events didn't effect me at all. Please don't make such assumptions.

I appreciate the bravery of the men and women who risked their lives on that day ten years ago, but I don't feel the need to attend a massive ceremony with a bunch of people talking about how terrible it is and how great America is.

9/11 began as a national tragedy, but now it's become a pissing contest for people to declare how patriotic they are. I appreciate the freedoms of being in America, but I'm not patriotic or nationalistic. There are many so-called "values" in America that I don't agree with or subscribe to, so to call myself patriotic and say I blindly love America would be to say that I agree with all of its policies and collective beliefs.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough
*********
 
Briana's Avatar
 
Name: Bri
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Neverland, Ohio

Posts: 2,851
Blog Entries: 232
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloserToTheClouds View Post
Sadly there will always be kids that can't be quiet during a moment of silence. It's always been like that, so I don't think it's really a reason to fear for our future.


I won't really be doing much, honestly. But I will be thinking about it a lot, and I'll probably have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCP6b...J2_aNLGmIl1_PQ on repeat on my ipod.
I've been listening to this all day, just for the memory of all those who have died.

I remember in High School, a bunch of kids thought it was "lame" to have yearly assemblies in remembrance. That's messed up.

Always, remember those who have died for us and those innocent lives that were lost. I will always remember!! Never forgotten. Always in my heart. <3


"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
MegaMadness's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Aussie Land

Posts: 5,564
Blog Entries: 16
Join Date: October 11th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 10:29 AM

Well to be honest I'm not doing anything for it. While sad, awful etc, it didn't happen in my country, no one I know was involved, and I can barely remeber it I was like 5 or so at the time. Dosen't mean I'm not upset and angry over what happened, it upsets and angers me alot to think about and see footage of it, it's just that I don't think me doing anything will do anything about it, and I don't really want to upset my self by thinking to much of it or seeing footage of it etc.


Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Zyzz's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 960
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 01:50 PM

Well why should I do something special for this day? There have been loads of tragic events that happened throughout the US history and not every single one of them is remembered on a yearly basis.

And I can even go throughout history in different countries for different tragic events that are not even remembered or even taught in schools.

If history is any indication everyone will forget it happened or just not have any rememberence. So in saying that, Why should we do this for one day and no longer do it for every other tragic event throughout history?
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while
********
 
Snufkin's Avatar
 
Name: Scott
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,982
Blog Entries: 104
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 02:38 PM

I won't do anything for it, since I get absolutely nothing out of saying a prayer, lighting a candle or whatever. I feel sad and angry everytime I think about 9/11 - I remember coming home from primary school to see my parents glued to the TV and we all sat watching it all day. I'm not part of the "one nation under God" but that doesn't make the event any less horrifying. But I'm still not going to do anything on the anniversary, because nothing I do will make any difference. I just remember.




   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMadness View Post
Well to be honest I'm not doing anything for it. While sad, awful etc, it didn't happen in my country, no one I know was involved, and I can barely remeber it I was like 5 or so at the time. Dosen't mean I'm not upset and angry over what happened, it upsets and angers me alot to think about and see footage of it, it's just that I don't think me doing anything will do anything about it, and I don't really want to upset my self by thinking to much of it or seeing footage of it etc.
I'm with Megan. It didn't happen in my country so I don't do anything special that day. When I was in school in the USA we did a mini memorial and had mass after it but now I just don't.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Halo345's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 25
Gender: Other
Location: Uk

Posts: 492
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 2nd 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
I think you're misunderstanding people who say this. Mostly, anyway.

Most of the people I know who have told me what I stated in my first post, eiterh gave off the aditude or point blank said they don't give an eff.

It's not that I don't want to do anything. I'm sure I'm just as sad and angry as you are over 9/11, trust me. But I personally don't get any internal satisfaction over candlelight memorials, putting up a flag, or anything like that. No matter what I do, it won't change what happened that day.
I take it as more of respect then anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil View Post


I won't be doing anything of importance or commemoration 9/11. But that doesn't mean that I don't believe the events didn't effect me at all. Please don't make such assumptions.

I appreciate the bravery of the men and women who risked their lives on that day ten years ago, but I don't feel the need to attend a massive ceremony with a bunch of people talking about how terrible it is and how great America is.

9/11 began as a national tragedy, but now it's become a pissing contest for people to declare how patriotic they are. I appreciate the freedoms of being in America, but I'm not patriotic or nationalistic. There are many so-called "values" in America that I don't agree with or subscribe to, so to call myself patriotic and say I blindly love America would be to say that I agree with all of its policies and collective beliefs.
You don't have to agree with someone in order to love them. Just food for thought.

I think some of you are missing my original point. I'm not saying you have to be part of some huge PC cerimony or something in order to respect those who have died. My point was, the selfish, slef centered aditude that some indiviuals have given to me. I understand what happened effects everyone in a different way, but come on, some people have been down right disrespectful to me about "remembering 9/11". Don't you think all the firefighters who saw 343 of their friends.. their brothers die wish they could just forget.. that the emotional scars have cut so deep that they are nothing more then "zombies". Then emotional disconection that has happened that day have left them almost broken beyonnd repair.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while
********
 
Snufkin's Avatar
 
Name: Scott
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,982
Blog Entries: 104
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 04:52 PM

I also kind of understand what Jónsi is saying too though. Over here in the UK, we don't go to any great length to remember the 7/7 terrorist bombings. Not to the same extent as America does with 9/11. But people died, terrorists caused it, and the city came to a standstill. Should we remember one more than the other?




   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
I think some of you are missing my original point. I'm not saying you have to be part of some huge PC cerimony or something in order to respect those who have died. My point was, the selfish, slef centered aditude that some indiviuals have given to me. I understand what happened effects everyone in a different way, but come on, some people have been down right disrespectful to me about "remembering 9/11". Don't you think all the firefighters who saw 343 of their friends.. their brothers die wish they could just forget.. that the emotional scars have cut so deep that they are nothing more then "zombies". Then emotional disconection that has happened that day have left them almost broken beyonnd repair.[/color]
What about all the people that have died in multiple natural disasters? We don't have "Katrina Day" or what about all the people that died in all the other bombings since 9/11? I'm not trying to disrespect anyone that was deeply affected by 9/11, but if we all felt that sad for every bad thing that happened for that many years after the fact then we'd all walk around depressed 24/7. Your original post was not as clearly geared towards the people you know that outright disrespected 9/11. "I've heard and had people tell me they will simply doing nothing. That since they don't feel that those events didn't effect them, that theres no need for them to do anything. That they have better things to do then recap something that happened a decade ago." I have to say, I've seen a lot of people saying they won't do anything in this thread. I don't feel obligated to do anything to be honest, I would rather move on with my life after 10 years. It doesn't mean I'm disrespecting all the people that died or the people that lost loved ones. I've seen some people say that this year is more important than all the others, but WHY? It was just as painful to those that were directly affected last year and the year before, and the year before that.

This reminds me of a quote I love: "You see a million terrible things every day, on the news and in the paper, and in real life. I'm not saying that it's stupid to feel sad, just that it would be impossible to let everything get to you and still get some sleep at night."



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,647
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 05:08 PM

It's bigger this year because it's been an even decade. I feel for everyone who lost someone and for the major tragedy that happened that day, but after 10 years I've kind of moved on. Not to mention that a bunch of channels are already showing special documentaries and have been since the 1st. I think the more they emphasize it the more it loses it's significance because by the time it gets here we're all sick of hearing about it.

This was a huge American tragedy that changed life as we know it and it is still so fresh in some people's minds and that's why it's a big deal. I think we just need to understand where everyone is coming from and respect how others choose to remember (or not).


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?
**********
 
bitesize's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Ireland

Posts: 3,944
Blog Entries: 321
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
-We had OUR twin towers destroyed, OUR Pentagon was badly damaged and thanks to those on Flight 93, OUR Washington DC was not damaged
We're not all American.

I don't mean any disrespect by that, but it's true ~ obviously the commemoration events, etc, are going to be a slightly smaller deal in the countries where it didn't happen. I would honestly like to do something to remember 9/11 but because my country was less affected by what happened than the U.S., there probably will hardly be any organised events or anything. I don't know yet what I'd like to do.


Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
.....
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
...
...
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 06:51 PM

As I said in the other thread, I won't be doing anything particular except for remembering what happened on the day and those who died, and making a point of carrying on my normal Western life in honour of those who died. To those who are saying it is not important because they are not American, I would counter that by saying 9/11 arguably changed the entire global picture, in ways we probably don't fully understand even now. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were direct consequences of what happened that day (Iraq being part of the so-called "War on Terror"), and it marked the start of a spate of terrorist attacks including those in Bali and London, and others in a trend which continues to this day. It has shaken our faith in our safety fundamentally, led to a drastic increase of visible law enforcement (to the extent that I routinely see police officers with submachine guns, which never happened before in this country), and arguably it has led to a fairly widespread ostracisation of the Muslim community and increased levels of mistrust overall. The direct effect of 9/11 may well be more limited to the USA, but it is one of those events which changed the world in a fundamental way and we need to acknowledge that if we are to cope properly with it.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?
**********
 
bitesize's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Ireland

Posts: 3,944
Blog Entries: 321
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
To those who are saying it is not important because they are not American, I would counter that by saying 9/11 arguably changed the entire global picture, in ways we probably don't fully understand even now.

Sorry, I just read that and realised that what my post said might have come off very offensively!! Obviously I know that the events of 9/11 affected the whole world ~ so much so that I still can't get it into my head that it's been a whole decade ~ and that it's important to remember no matter what country you're from or live in. I think that it would just feel a lot more real to me if it had affected me more personally, which it didn't really at all, because it seemed so far away. The closest I came to even knowing someone who was personally affected by the events was a girl in the school of the brother of a boy in my class. I'm probably lucky that it didn't hit me harder,so to speak (age was also an issue, I'd never even heard of the WTC before this) but the people that were closer were more personally affected and therefore will find it a much bigger thing to commemorate. I'm wording this all wrong ~ I know what a huge tragedy it was and since then I've come to have a much more real understanding of what happened.
I think I just get a little oversensitive sometimes on this site when I feel like people are assuming everyone here is from the US.


Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
.....
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
...
...
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Halo345's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 25
Gender: Other
Location: Uk

Posts: 492
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 2nd 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post



Sorry, I just read that and realised that what my post said might have come off very offensively!! Obviously I know that the events of 9/11 affected the whole world ~ so much so that I still can't get it into my head that it's been a whole decade ~ and that it's important to remember no matter what country you're from or live in. I think that it would just feel a lot more real to me if it had affected me more personally, which it didn't really at all, because it seemed so far away. The closest I came to even knowing someone who was personally affected by the events was a girl in the school of the brother of a boy in my class. I'm probably lucky that it didn't hit me harder,so to speak (age was also an issue, I'd never even heard of the WTC before this) but the people that were closer were more personally affected and therefore will find it a much bigger thing to commemorate. I'm wording this all wrong ~ I know what a huge tragedy it was and since then I've come to have a much more real understanding of what happened.
I think I just get a little oversensitive sometimes on this site when I feel like people are assuming everyone here is from the US.
Haha no your fine. My post was about Americans thinking it wasn't important, no citizens from other countries. My bad.
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
Sorry, I just read that and realised that what my post said might have come off very offensively!! Obviously I know that the events of 9/11 affected the whole world ~ so much so that I still can't get it into my head that it's been a whole decade ~ and that it's important to remember no matter what country you're from or live in. I think that it would just feel a lot more real to me if it had affected me more personally, which it didn't really at all, because it seemed so far away. The closest I came to even knowing someone who was personally affected by the events was a girl in the school of the brother of a boy in my class. I'm probably lucky that it didn't hit me harder,so to speak (age was also an issue, I'd never even heard of the WTC before this) but the people that were closer were more personally affected and therefore will find it a much bigger thing to commemorate. I'm wording this all wrong ~ I know what a huge tragedy it was and since then I've come to have a much more real understanding of what happened.
I think I just get a little oversensitive sometimes on this site when I feel like people are assuming everyone here is from the US.
No worries and apologies if it came across as directed at you - it wasn't, honest! It's just a general theme that I've noticed with the whole day and people's reactions to it, here and in the wider world. It's kind of like how Remembrance Day is going, and again I feel that's too important to gloss over. I know exactly what you mean though, and for the record I think some of the coverage of the day over here is bordering on mawkish - at the same time, I guess it's just important to emphasise that unlike some other events in recent times (such as Hurricane Katrina and the like, all of which should be acknowledged) this really did break up the status quo. I personally believe it will be decades more before we return to the pre-9/11 scenario, if we get there at all.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Anonymous.'s Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Posts: 1,042
Blog Entries: 46
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 08:59 PM

Okay, so I'm not doing anything. Are you gonna be mad at me? I'm 20 now, I was 10 then. I didn't understand then and I still hardly understand now. Most people my age (like at my middle/highschool and college) hardly understood. That doesn't mean I don't care. I just don't know what to do about it and I never have known what to do about it!

(This is directed to the OP and anyone else who think people who do nothing is being disrespectful).
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Paix et Amour's Avatar
 
Name: Sarah
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: Earth ;P

Posts: 570
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: September 2nd 2010

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
As a side note:

I am an atheist and I find this kind of statement upsetting: the under God part. We have no officially declared religion, and the under God part of the Allegiance was inserted in the 1954 and is not 'canon' (for lack of a better word) of the nation as it was created. To declare that God is watching over the U.S.A. is nauseating to me.

i was actually just about to mention that. i think its pretty stupid that its under god. not everyone believes in god or a god. im agnostic/atheist (i dont fully consider myself atheist) but i kind of find it offensive.

back to the topic subject - call me a bitch if you want, but i dont do anything on 9/11, because yes i feel bad for everybody that died/lost a loved one, and i think its great that people risked their lives to save them, many dying in the process, but it has nothing to do with me. i was 4 when it happened, so obviously i have no memory of it, but honestly i dont do any more then just have it kind of in my mind on that day. i dont pray (as i said before im agnostic/atheist) and i dont do anything special in memory or anything like that. to me its just another day basically. its not like we do anything special for any other days where lots of people die. 9/11 isnt the only time people die in such numbers. what about war? more people die fighting in useless wars and nobody thinks about the people who die that way?
  Send a message via MSN to Paix et Amour Send a message via Skype™ to Paix et Amour 
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Palmolive's Avatar
 
Name: Jessie
Age: 25
Gender: Girly.
Location: The stars.

Posts: 5,791
Blog Entries: 2318
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 10:41 PM

I have never really done anything for it and I doubt I will this year. I Guess we've done two minute silence at school before and that but I doubt they'll do it at college. I'm not a nasty person, i have full respect and think about all those people that lost their lives that day and I have more respect for the people who helped out and tried to save peoples life, but I just don't do anything. I'll watch the programmes and news and probably will cry like every other year. But other than this that's it. I can't change what happened and I know I have respect and think about those who were affected by this tragedy.


"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,647
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 8th 2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace And Love View Post
9/11 isnt the only time people die in such numbers. what about war? more people die fighting in useless wars and nobody thinks about the people who die that way?
I would argue that this is what Veteran's day and Memorial Day are for. One argument is that innocent people who were working or flying that day died because terrorists decided that it was within their religious beliefs (yes they were extremists I'm not commenting about Islam here) to kill Americans because they were taught to hate us. That's different from war because with a war you go into it knowing that people are going to die and be killed.

And it's different from natural disasters because we can't prevent natural disasters, but we can prevent terror attacks. Natural disasters, with the possible exception of wild fires, aren't caused by humans so there's nothing we can do about them.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 9th 2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post

You don't have to agree with someone in order to love them. Just food for thought.

I feel as though "love" is tossed around far too often. Do I "love" my country? No, not really. I enjoy the personal freedoms I have, but there are near countless flaws.

I think that honoring the rescue workers, ordinary citizens and every other person who helped on that day is a good thing to do. My point wasn't about ignoring their bravery, sacrifices or actions. My point was that the true focus of what we're commemorating on 9/11 seems to have been blurred.

As I previously stated, I won't be going to a memorial or ceremony. However, the events of that day will most certainly be on my mind come this Sunday. My way of recognizing the anniversary of the event is private. It's simply some personal reflection.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?
**********
 
bitesize's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Ireland

Posts: 3,944
Blog Entries: 321
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 9th 2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimSupergirl View Post
I'm 20 now, I was 10 then.

That really is another issue, especially with regards to TeenHelp ~ most members here were too young to understand the full extent of the event when it occurred. I'm definitely at the older end of the scale on this site and I can say I definitely didn't really understand it when it happened. Like I said I'd never even heard of the World Trade Centre and it's really only in the last year or couple of years since I started reading up about it more that I've really realised how huge it was, and actually got a sense of the horror of it all. This post isn't attacking or telling anyone off, sorry if it comes across as that, but it is something to note. I can't believe this happened half my life ago.


Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
.....
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
...
...
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 9th 2011, 09:31 PM

I was listening to the radio on my way to work this morning and the two hosts of the show were discussing 9/11 and they referenced a song (of course), Alan Jackson's, "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?". They also discussed that 9/11, for many of us (especially younger people), was an event that, in a way, stole our innocence. When a tragedy like this happens, it really wakes you up to the fact that the world really can be an evil place - I know that for me, this was the first truly horrible act of war I had ever experienced. Of course I had heard about events like Pearl Harbor and the various wars which took so many lives, but I had no personal connection to it because it didn't happen in my lifetime. With 9/11, however, it was an event that I experienced in such a profound way and it really was a wakeup call that not everyone is a good person.
In a way, 9/11 DID steal my innocence, even though I was still pretty young (12) when it happened and I didn't fully understand it. All I knew was that evil people stole the lives of innocent men, women, and children and they had no clear cut reason for doing it (terrorism, in my mind, was not a valid reason).
Thinking of it as an event which stole my childhood innocence really put it into a different perspective that I probably never would have thought of, but it's true. It was the first event that showed me the world could be an evil place.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Anonymous.'s Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Posts: 1,042
Blog Entries: 46
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 10th 2011, 12:43 AM

Well, for me, it didn't really steal away my innocence because I simply didn't understand. So when people ask me about 9/11, I'm simply caught off guard and only basing what I say from information about it. I'm still like an innocent child inside. What would you say about those kinds of people? Would you say they were being disrespectful if they could not help not understanding it?
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Tara.'s Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Girl.
Location: Colorado.

Posts: 2,039
Join Date: February 13th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 10th 2011, 02:40 AM

But, people say the same about things like the Holocaust. It's just normal in this country to not care about others, really.


To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 10th 2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara. View Post
But, people say the same about things like the Holocaust. It's just normal in this country to not care about others, really.
Frankly I feel more tied to the Holocaust then to 9/11, because:
-I learned of the Holocaust when I was ten (as opposed to 9/11 when I was 7)
-I'm Jewish (in heritage only, not in the religious sense) so it really to hurt to think of those kind of horrors being visited those who knew my blood relations.
-My ancestors narrowly escaped the Holocaust, whereas no one in my family narrowly escaped 9/11.

I think it's a little silly to say that people in the U.S. don't care about others.
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Fading Light.'s Avatar
 
Gender: bird bird
Location: the empty house

Posts: 9,233
Blog Entries: 68
Join Date: September 20th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 10th 2011, 08:29 AM

I won't be doing anything, for many of the reasons people have already stated. I'm not American, for one. I don't know anyone who was personally involved - I'm not saying that this means I don't care about those who were, because I do, but I'm just saying that as it doesn't directly affect me, I'm less inclined to do anything. There have been other disasters, whether natural or caused by people, which have had similar death tolls, but we don't make such a big deal about all of them. Yes, 9/11 was a tragedy, yes, a lot of people died, yes, it's ten years since it happened, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be waving flags or having a moment of silence or anything. What would that achieve? I don't even remember the day it happened - I was too young. I'm not being disrespectful; I'm just trying to put things into perspective. It's not the first time something like this has happened, it probably won't be the last, and I would much rather direct my attention towards changing what I can now, rather than remembering something that's happened in the past.
That said, I have nothing but respect for those who are choosing to attend memorials and such to remember the day. That's their choice, their opinion, and they're welcome to it. It's just not mine.


if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
PlayingPretend's Avatar
 
Name: Elliotte
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: California

Posts: 1,384
Join Date: October 19th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 11th 2011, 12:03 PM

I'm not doing anything. I'm not turning on the TV, reading through the papers or through online articles, commemorating the event, the lives that were lost, or the people that rushed and tried their damned hardest to save as many of those lives as they could, etc., and I'm not losing sleep over it. Because in no way does my lack of celebrating the event mean that I do not feel sad or that I am not heartbroken for the people who have lost family and friends in the event. That does not mean I do not respect the men and women who defended themselves against the attacks. That does not mean I do not respect the fireman, policeman, paramedics, etc. on, and off, the scene, who did their damndest. I do have a heart. I do feel for the people. But based on my opinions, which I will not share due to their being controversial (and no, has nothing to do with that I believe in the conspiracies), I do not "celebrate" the event. I have my reasons, and they are just as valid as the reasons people have that DO commemorate it. I think this is an unfair blanket-generalisation, because not doing anything on the day of 9/11 means none of what you claim.


If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.


   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Everglow.'s Avatar
 
Name: Hollie
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: London

Posts: 4,781
Blog Entries: 719
Join Date: January 19th 2011

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 11th 2011, 12:36 PM

I'm not really doing anything. I've watched the news and stuff and I remember the day and what happened, but at the time I was 6 years old and I didn't really understand it. Also, living in the UK, I don't feel personally attached to what happened in any way. I do feel sad about it, and I obviously have all the respect in the world for the people who were and are affected by the event, but I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary for it.


❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Marguerite's Avatar
 
Name: Marguerite
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,064
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: June 1st 2010

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 11th 2011, 12:47 PM

I find the original post quite offensive really. You act like those who are not doing anything to 'remember' 9/11 are bad people. Does praying or having a minute of silence help those affected by 9/11 or erase the day? No. I'm not saying it's bad to do it... if that is what you want to do, then that's great. But awful things happen every single day, people die in greater numbers than what happen on September 11th. Maybe it's symbolically more important. It changed the world. But you're talking about lives and I don't see why those lives that were taken, albeit in a cruel, horrifying and unfair way, deserve more respect than those lost every single day be it in war or by cancer or in fatal car accidents.

I was young when 9/11 happened but old enough to remember the huge impact it had on the world. I remember the watching the footage of the towers falling and the people jumping out of the windows for lack of other options. I feel awful that so many people lost their lives. I can't believe that people do that to one another. I respect all the heroes who risked and even lost their lives that day helping others. Just because I don't go light candles or stay silent for a minute or pray doesn't mean I don't, and doesn't mean the others who go about their lives don't either. It doesn't make you better or mean you care more.

Life goes on. It's been ten years. When will you stop doing something? Will it be all your life or will you not be outraged by the idea of doing nothing in 2021? Do you something for every tragic event in America's history?

And if you didn't have a minute of silence or go to a candle light vigil, do you think it wouldn't mean anything to you? If so, does it worry you that you need to physically prove that you remember 9/11 to care about it?


To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while
********
 
Snufkin's Avatar
 
Name: Scott
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,982
Blog Entries: 104
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Remebering 9/11... but with a twist. - September 11th 2011, 12:57 PM

A little different, but for anyone who has Twitter and is interested, The Guardian have a Twitter feed set up detailing the events of the day as they happened - you can follow it here.

Edit: Then they just Tweeted saying that the account is now ending. Odd. Oh well...as you were.





Last edited by Snufkin; September 11th 2011 at 01:07 PM.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
9 or 11, remebering, twist

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.