TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 18th 2009, 04:47 PM

http://m.cnn.com/cnn/ne/ent/detail/267078/full
Quote:
More than 70 years ago, the very first superheroes debuted in the dire times of the Great Depression and the early years of World War II. Their names became legend -- Superman, Batman (or, as he was then known, the Bat-Man), Wonder Woman, Captain America -- and they're still with us today. A new exhibit at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles celebrates these icons from the Golden Age of Comic Books. Through a collection of rare original artwork and comics, the exhibit explores how a group of mostly Jewish artists created the costumed heroes who came to symbolize the hopes of a beleaguered nation. "In the 1930s, the American Dream had become a nightmare, and I think comic books and superheroes in particular provided an escapist form of entertainment that allowed the American public to go into a fantasy world where all the ills of the world were righted by these larger-than-life heroes," says Erin Clancy, a curator at the Skirball. Guest curator Jerry Robinson not only organized the exhibit, he's a part of it. The comic book pioneer created Batman's arch-enemy, The Joker, and named the caped crusader's sidekick Robin. (Success has many fathers, of course: Bob Kane, credited with creating Batman, has long disputed elements of Robinson's creation stories.) "We were just emerging from the Depression," Robinson recalls. "Superman started in 1938. Batman started in 1939. So, we were just recovering." Robinson says the villains changed with the times. "The first villains in the comic books were hijackers, embezzlers, bank robbers. It was the era of Pretty Boy Floyd and so forth. Once the war came along, we felt a need for more patriotic heroes to fight Hitler. "In fact," he adds, "Hitler banned American comics, at least Superman and superheroes. He said they were Jewish. Little did he know that the creators were actually Jewish. ... Hitler banned American comics, except one: Mickey Mouse, which was his favorite." One of the highlights of the collection is Robinson's original sketch for The Joker. "My first thought was that a villain who had a sense of humor would be different and memorable," he says. "So, I'm thinking of a name for a villain that has a sense of humor. I thought of 'The Joker' as a name, and as soon as I thought that, I associate it with the playing card, as my family had a tradition of champion playing; my brother was a contract champion bridge player. There were always cards around the house. "So I searched, and luckily it had the typical image of the joker, which came out of a tradition in Europe. This was an important element. Throughout history, we had court jesters, clowns, and so this was an iconic image that was also very useful." In our own times, the public is turning to costumed heroes again in record numbers. Movies based on comic books are box office leaders; comic books themselves remain a strong and growing industry. "I think the comic book superhero came out of a context in which the political, social and economic realties were a little tough," Clancy says, "and we can certainly relate to those realities now in our own day. I think the resurgence of popularity of superheroes can be attributed to that." Last year, audiences made "The Dark Knight" the second-highest grossing film of all time. The late Heath Ledger, who won a best supporting actor Oscar for his performance as The Joker in that film, spoke with Robinson before he died. "I was flattered to hear from him that he based the whole concept of The Joker's persona and rationale on our first concept of The Joker," Robinson says. With the box office success of "The Dark Knight" and "Iron Man" -- plus comic book-inspired films like "The First Avenger: Captain America," "The Avengers" and "Thor" in development -- it looks like superheroes will continue to inspire. "I think heroes are back," Robinson says. "I think you can almost chart it. The times are not so good -- we're looking for heroes."

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 18th 2009, 06:41 PM

You know, I hadn't thought about it, but this totally makes sense. As it says at the end of the article, "The times are not so good -- we're looking for heroes." During tough times, people look for something for inspiration, I guess, so no surprise that superheroes are making a "come back".

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 18th 2009, 08:37 PM

We need superheros, and clothes, movies and comic books with superheros are having a rise in sells. Superheros will always be there, always. Times of trouble call for a hero. Losing yourself in a comic book during a bad time makes it easier to manage. So yeah, basically I agree with the article.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 18th 2009, 09:59 PM

People like to live in fantasy worlds so I agree as well.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 18th 2009, 10:41 PM

Makes perfect sense. Having someone to look to for hope, even if he or she is fictional, can offer the inspiration needed to go just a little further, get a little more done, and be that much more optimistic.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Mithridates Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 18th 2009, 10:49 PM

People love linking stuff with the failed economy.

Guess people love hiding in their fantasies. Too bad because soon they won't even afford it much longer.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 18th 2009, 11:47 PM

It doesn't surprise me at all. The fantasy world is so much easier to deal with than trying to deal with the real world sometimes.

--A

(#8 (permalink)) Old
formerly a samurai
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Paul

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 19th 2009, 09:26 PM

Although there is a subsequent problem with this.
Superhero names!
Eventually we will end up with really stupidly named superheroes.

eg.

Faster than the speeding bullet, I am Broadband man

Love and honour form the basis of all strength.

Chivalry Isn't Dead

Send a message via MSN to the-nirish-ninja Send a message via Skype™ to the-nirish-ninja 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 19th 2009, 09:32 PM

I did think coincidence to begin with but now it makes sense. People look to someone to help them out and for escapism

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 19th 2009, 09:58 PM

I like the idea. A little kid with whosedaddy just lost his job and who doesn't know where the next meal is coming from needs superman's help to keep moving forward. Tis a great thing.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 19th 2009, 10:33 PM

It does make sense, really. As times have gotten harder, there are more remakes and more movies coming out with superheroes (Watchmen, Sin City, The Spirit, Batman movies with Christian Bale, etc). People do enjoy watching someone coming to save the day, because many of us - well, we can't.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 19th 2009, 10:38 PM

I'm glad! It'll be a second Golden Age for Superheroes! Just like in the 1930's-1950's!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Superheroes rise in tough times. - March 20th 2009, 07:07 AM

Also a good way to make money.

Closed Thread