TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 05:06 PM

What do you think? Does Facebook do enough to prevent bullying, should it do more? Should it even be expected to be involved? I think this discussion should revolve around the entire issue of cyber bullying on Facebook.

Last edited by forfrosne; September 19th 2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: changing topic

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 725718 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 05:16 PM

I think more should be done about Facebook bullying. There's an option to report any bullying, harrassment, images etc, but Facebook themselves do not do enough. It's very rare that somebody gets warned and/or removed from Facebook when somebody reports bullying..It's as though Facebook just sit there and watch it happen.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 05:23 PM

I think people should learn to overcome it with their own strength.

I'm not saying bullying isn't an issue, but if we keep coddling people and solving their problems for them, instead of teaching them to stand up for themselves and dealing with it on their own terms, then we're going to rob them of vital skills they will need later on in life.

Basically, for really serious issues, the tools should be there, but minor things should not warrant the banhammer.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 06:24 PM

I don't think Facebook does enough, and I think a could example of that would be a previous thread here in Debates, about the man who was jailed for 'trolling' a dead teenagers memorial page, and causing issues. Facebook did nothing, while the parents and friends of this young teen were forced to take action in their own hands.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 06:42 PM

I think Facebook could do a fair bit more about this, but doesn't want to for fear of infringing on people's freedoms or alienating its users. (Funny how they'll add random useless features without any qualms though...) There should certainly be scope for people challenging bullies head-on and overcoming them, but that's much harder on the Internet than in real life (particularly if there are a number of people involved against one person) and if people take advantage of the relative anonymity of the Internet to do that then they should be taken to task accordingly.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#6 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
I think Facebook could do a fair bit more about this, but doesn't want to for fear of infringing on people's freedoms or alienating its users. (Funny how they'll add random useless features without any qualms though...) There should certainly be scope for people challenging bullies head-on and overcoming them, but that's much harder on the Internet than in real life (particularly if there are a number of people involved against one person) and if people take advantage of the relative anonymity of the Internet to do that then they should be taken to task accordingly.
I think you're right. They probably want to help but don't know how much they can do. I think the answer is quite simple if you're a teenager who's been on the receiving end of some of the bullying that goes on, but the problem is that people working on Facebook aren't, so they have no idea what it's like or what needs to be done.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 06:58 PM

I've never actually reported anyone for bullying so I don't know how likely Facebook are to get involved. I've reported a racially offensive Page once before which got taken down.

I don't know what to think. At the end of the day there is a block button (easily located) which more people should use. A girl from school bullied me and she tried to start bullying me on Bebo but I blocked her straight away.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post
I've never actually reported anyone for bullying so I don't know how likely Facebook are to get involved. I've reported a racially offensive Page once before which got taken down.

I don't know what to think. At the end of the day there is a block button (easily located) which more people should use. A girl from school bullied me and she tried to start bullying me on Bebo but I blocked her straight away.
I think the problem is that blocking them only stops you seeing what they're saying. They can still keep saying it for everyone else to see.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

I think the problem is that blocking them only stops you seeing what they're saying. They can still keep saying it for everyone else to see.
Agreed, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 19th 2011, 10:22 PM

I think you're going to have this problem with cyberbullying regardless of the website it's on. The sites walk a fine line between not enough control and too much. There is a block feature which should be used (this kind of thing is what it's for). I do agree with Ben to a degree though, there are going to be people who say inappropriate or mean things no matter what you do and we need to empower kids so they don't let it get to them. If every single incident of bullying (or preceived bullying) was reported the system would back up and bigger/worse events may not get taken care of. There's also the issue of severity, who decides what's considered "bullying" and what isn't and how does Facebook decide what the punishment should be, if any is needed at all? That's why there's an age limit for an account and the block feature. I figure if people are bored enough to say bad stuff about me, they can say whatever they want, but I don't have to read it or deal with them because they probably aren't going to stop. (I've never been cyberbullied, I'm just saying that that's how I would react).

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#11 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 20th 2011, 01:14 AM

It's pretty easy to place the blame on the website instead of the people doing the bullying in the first place. I have a hard time seeing the higher-ups who control Facebook sitting in a room discussing the rude comments made by an overly hormonal teenager on another overly hormonal teenager's profile. When you have an account on any social networking site, you run the risk of people abusing you on there. It doesn't mean it's right, it's just what happens. If it's that big of a problem, deactivate your account and get someone to help you out (like a teacher, parent, counselor, etc). Simple as that, really.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 20th 2011, 03:25 AM

I think people should try to deal with the "cyber-bullying" (assuming it is that and not one-time petty name-calling) instead of immediately hoping some higher-up from FaceBook will come down and rescue them. There's always a block feature so you don't see what is said and that in most cases should be good enough. If the bullying goes to extremes, then there should be measures put in place for that and only that level of bullying.

To give an over-simplified example, if Tod posts on Jimmy's page, "you're a dick, you're a dick" for a month, Jimmy shouldn't try to report that to the facebook higher-ups. It can be annoying for Jimmy but all he has to do is lift his lazy finger and block Tod's comments. FaceBook tries to make itself as realistic as possible, so in line with that, people should be able to handle such issues by themselves. On the other hand, if Jennifer posts nude and humiliating pictures of Samantha, along with racist, deflamatory remarks on Samantha's page, there should be tools in place for Samantha to use.

I think FaceBook is hesitant to start rescuing people from the jaws of cyber-bullying as they first have to set criteria for when they are to intervene as well as what constitutes "cyber-bullying". There was a thread on TH in the bully section about what constitutes bullying and there was no consistent answer. As a result, people could report what they think is cyber-bullying but FaceBook says otherwise. Also, should FaceBook consider the age of the bully and receiver?

There is also a question of do they intervene even if the receiver of the comments does not indicate they are affected? Eventually a line will be crossed when they should intervene no matter what but setting these and other lines is difficult. Furthermore, if FaceBook does delete a bully's page, what stops the bully from starting all up again? I'm sure some bullies would stop but in other cases, FaceBook ends up playing Whack-A-Mole: Bully Version and constantly missing the bully as he/she evades.

The quickest and most effective method though is for the receiver to call it quits and cancel their account.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 23rd 2011, 01:37 AM

Facebook is lagging MAJOR protection against bullying. I don't think they do anything in general to prevent bullying (besides a block or whatever but that could hardly do anything if it was a big problem)
I hear too much about teens committing suicide after too many cases of bullying mostly on social networking sites or other digital networks.
Bottom line, they could step up their protect a bit.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 23rd 2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonxNinjas View Post
Facebook is lagging MAJOR protection against bullying. I don't think they do anything in general to prevent bullying (besides a block or whatever but that could hardly do anything if it was a big problem)
I hear too much about teens committing suicide after too many cases of bullying mostly on social networking sites or other digital networks.
Bottom line, they could step up their protect a bit.
Fair enough, FaceBook isn't 100% bully-proof. However, each time I read or hear people who issue complaints, like you're doing, I often call them whistle-blowers. The reason is they issue a complaint but don't suggest any possible practical solutions, so your voice gets lost as it doesn't contribute in attempting to solve the issue.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 23rd 2011, 06:46 AM

I think you should be able to report photos for bullying. Facebook has to check them first to see if that's true anyway so there's no real risk of you just reporting all images that you don't like. More work for them but I don't think that's an issue.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 24th 2011, 10:40 AM

I tend to be cynical over this whole cyber bullying thing. Not to be insensitive but I think people just need to grow some balls when it comes to issues like this.

People say cyber bullying is worse than actual bullying because it doesn't 'stay in the school yard'. I disagree- you can't just click exit in the school yard and make it all go away. Of course, that's a different issue.

I think if someone is calling you mean names over facebook block them and be done with it. However, sometimes I agree it can be really cruel and severe. To take a recent example from on here, writing crude things to the parents of dead children on memorial walls. Or, to take an example from my own life, I had a friend a few years ago who was 'outed' (so to speak) by a former friend of ours who posted an update about my friends sexual orientation. Things got really bad for them because everyone basically found out, including that guys family.

The problem I have with a term like 'cyber bullying' is that if someone is harassing you and making your life hell, it goes way beyond bullying and calling it 'cyber bullying' trivialises it. However if someone is calling you a bitch or a loser you should probably just get over it.

Sorry, I know I've gone way off topic. To answer the original question, I don't think there is much facebook can do. Millions of people use facebook, they can't be expected to fix every little instance of bullying on the website. Fair enough with hate groups and the like (about specific people) but if we're talking about comments/messages, then I don't know what anyone expects facebook to do.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 24th 2011, 09:43 PM

I think people need to take responsibility for their own life. I see so many people sitting back and expecting facebook to get rid of the bullying on their page when they haven't even deleted the "bullies" on their facebook! There's a block button for a reason.

In my experience, facebook is quite fast deleting things considered "bullying."

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#18 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 24th 2011, 10:16 PM

Here's what I don't get about bullying on Facebook, if you set your privacy settings to friends only where's the problem. You just don't friend people who you know don't like you, and you defriend someone who starts making rude comments, it's that easy. Or maybe it's not, could someone explain if it's not that easy.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

7 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 25th 2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Here's what I don't get about bullying on Facebook, if you set your privacy settings to friends only where's the problem. You just don't friend people who you know don't like you, and you defriend someone who starts making rude comments, it's that easy. Or maybe it's not, could someone explain if it's not that easy.
This is something I generally don't understand about cyber-bullying in general. People have the ability to click, "block", "defriend" or whatever the button may be and presto, the rude comments are no longer seen. Perhaps some people truly think if they respond by saying, "please stop, you're hurting my feelings", the person is going to think, "uh oh, I've saddened him/her, I better stop and apologize". If it's a bully, that's not going to work, a 8 year-old would probably know that. Again, it's something I don't understand so I'm in the same boat as you.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 26th 2011, 10:21 PM

Facebook does not do enough. My sister bullies people all the time on it. Nobody ever does anything. I think its wrong. People are emotionally hurt on Facebook each day. People need to do something about it.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#21 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 26th 2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceLeeDemarcus View Post
Facebook does not do enough. My sister bullies people all the time on it. Nobody ever does anything. I think its wrong. People are emotionally hurt on Facebook each day. People need to do something about it.
If you see something like that happening, especially if it's your sister, then you have a responsibility to step in.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 27th 2011, 07:50 AM

I have been bullied on FB and told to literally die...They are on my block list and will remain there forever and a day.

I don't see what people want from FB, to stop the bullying? Like, what would they do different? They already have block systems. What more do they need to have?

As for people not understanding why victims don't take advantage of the block button/delete... it is sometimes mental. They have to keep seeing it, because by then, they are believing what ever the bully may be saying. The brain wont let them hit the delete button. I saw it on Dr. Phil, about how the brain works when someone is going through the victim stage of bullying.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 28th 2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceLeeDemarcus View Post
In some cases, the person receiving the bullying may be unable to quickly talk with the bully. However, you have the ability to talk to your sister, whether it's walking down the hallway to her room or e-mailing her if she's not at home. Listen your own advice and do something about your sister's actions.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 29th 2011, 09:42 PM

Facebook does have a CEOP report button which you can install/download. But I don't think facebook does do enough. Then again that being said facebook has millions of users and unfortunately it would be very hard to moderate the millions of users on facebook and all the comments, I would hope that if bullying does occur on facebook the person who is being bullied by people on facebook would report them to facebook, the school/college/uni or the police and file a harassment complaint against the people doing the bullying.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Bullying on Facebook - September 30th 2011, 01:31 PM

I'm not sure what facebook can do and what people expect it to do about bullying. I mean there's the report button and the option to delete stuff off your profile etc if people are posting mean comments, and the option to delete people people off your account and even not accept them as friends in the first place if you think they might try to bully you etc. That in my opinion is enough. Facebook has better more important things to do then do something about things that can be easily sorted out by yourself whether its you confronting the bully, telling a teacher, police if its bad enough etc, deleting the person and their commentsor whatever. And I also dread to imagine how horribly misused and so much time wasted over a report bullying here button- it would be abused, by stupid one off coments, things not meant to be hurtful but are to the reader or a fight between friends that could be fixed in a few hours or a joke gone wrong or silly things like that - most people just think anything is bullying these days.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread