TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 01:36 AM

http://news.aol.com/article/town-aga...-killer/386054

CHICHESTER, N.H. (March 18) - Angry residents of a small central New Hampshire town are demanding that authorities remove a convicted child killer from their community.

More than 200 residents of Chichester packed a town selectmen's meeting Tuesday, most of them calling for Raymond Guay's removal during about two hours of emotional testimony. Many parents said their children can't sleep and are afraid to play outside.

I say let him stay. He served his time, leave him alone. If the government says he can live there, then he can live there.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 01:51 AM

As much as I don't agree with what he did, and it makes me cringe, he served his time. He was released on parole so the jail obviously felt he had done his time. Leave the man alone.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 01:57 AM

I think he should be allowed to live where ever he wants. He's got to live somewhere.

--A

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 02:42 AM

At least you know he is a killer. Force him to move and he might not notify the authorities to avoid situations like this.

Beware of the cats.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
I say let him stay. He served his time, leave him alone. If the government says he can live there, then he can live there.
Did you not read the long list of charges and convictions? I'd be terrified to have my children anywhere within ten miles of this man. The residents have every right to be angry over this.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 02:43 AM

Nah, he's fine to stay. I know of at least three of four convicted sex offenders in my town, but we don't rally to stop them? Why, because I honestly think all of them are harmless now.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
The residents have every right to be angry over this.
Couldn't agree more, they have every right to be angry. However, he, as a human, has a right to live somewhere. If he chooses that place to live in, he's breaking no laws doing so, therefore, he is allowed to.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LadiesLlama Offline
|Bring On The Rain|
Average Joe

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 06:22 AM

Government are separate from society. Society will run you out, if you're not conformed. The world is, even still, a lot like high school.

||I knew when I looked in his eyes ||
||That he was gonna be
trouble for me ||

PM||VM

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 06:25 AM

Personally, I wouldn't want him in my town or the next town over. I don't care how much time he served, you can't change what he did. The question is where to put him, being that he was already released.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider*man(girl) View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want him in my town or the next town over. I don't care how much time he served, you can't change what he did. The question is where to put him, being that he was already released.
Agreed, you cannot change what he did. But why not get a repeated thief to be told to go to the next town over? They can steal millions, ruin your life, put you on the streets.

If he wants to go to a town, then let him. Everyone has done bad things, nobody is inexusable. It's picking at which crimes society doesn't like. It's much like high school, only many people are older. Same mentality though. As said in highschool, grow up.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Agreed, you cannot change what he did. But why not get a repeated thief to be told to go to the next town over? They can steal millions, ruin your life, put you on the streets.

If he wants to go to a town, then let him. Everyone has done bad things, nobody is inexusable. It's picking at which crimes society doesn't like. It's much like high school, only many people are older. Same mentality though. As said in highschool, grow up.
I don't think it's picking at crimes. There's is a major difference between killing someone and stealing. Everyone has faults, but not everyone murders people.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 11:44 AM

Wait... maybe those poor children can't sleep at nights BECAUSE YOU DAMN PARENTS DON'T SHUT UP ABOUT THE GUY & SCARE THE LIVNG DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THEM?!

How about just saying "Don't come/follow/play/etc with strangers" & not get the poor kids paranoid...

As much as I do understand the folks, they are still assholes; this kind of inhumane treatment is what drives people to commit crimes.

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassago View Post
Government are separate from society. Society will run you out, if you're not conformed. The world is, even still, a lot like high school.
Couldn't agree more. The government may say he can live there but society can make his life unbearable so he has to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K. View Post
Wait... maybe those poor children can't sleep at nights BECAUSE YOU DAMN PARENTS DON'T SHUT UP ABOUT THE GUY & SCARE THE LIVNG DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THEM?!

How about just saying "Don't come/follow/play/etc with strangers" & not get the poor kids paranoid...

As much as I do understand the folks, they are still assholes; this kind of inhumane treatment is what drives people to commit crimes.
Because fear is the best method of control. Just as fear of terrorism let the Patriot Act though, fear of getting shot means that the kids will do whatever you say

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:

LOL, I quite agree. That's just was I was going to say.

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post

Because fear is the best method of control. Just as fear of terrorism let the Patriot Act though, fear of getting shot means that the kids will do whatever you say
I haven't looked at it from that perspective... Though I do not see the parents trying to push laws onto children as a means of control + I doubt most of the parents enjoy the kid whimpering all the time & being afraid to go out... So I'm not sure how it relates to "fear used as a control tool" scenario.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I haven't looked at it from that perspective... Though I do not see the parents trying to push laws onto children as a means of control + I doubt most of the parents enjoy the kid whimpering all the time & being afraid to go out... So I'm not sure how it relates to "fear used as a control tool" scenario.
"Don't go outside or the murderer may do nasty things to you" is an excellent way to make someone do the chores for example.
Not to mention that if adults today impregnate fear within their children such a law preventing such criminals near children could well pass in the next generation

(#17 (permalink)) Old
footfoot Offline
My pal's name is foot foot.
Average Joe

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 06:30 PM

Sure, the town has every right to be angry but he also has every right to live where he wants (within the bounds of his parole) in peace.

The book (and movie) Little Children is partially about a sex offender that is harassed by town watchgroups trying to get him to move out. At one point, he goes to the pool during a really hot day and everyone there freaks out and the cops are called to kick him out. He says, "I just wanted to cool off!"

I believe people have the right to know if there is a sex offender around but no right to harass him/her.

Quote:
Pinckney has reported hearing gunshots outside his house, and one neighbor threatened to burn it down.
It's disgusting behaviour.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 07:05 PM

I don't condone what he did. He did a horrible thing, but he served his time and they need to accept it.

I mean, how the hell do they think making him move out is going to help?

He'll have to move to some other town. And if they don't want him living there, is he going to be made move again? It's not realistic in the slightest.

He has just as much right to live there as they do. Their behavior is horrible.

And why do you think the kids are scared so much? Because their parents made them that way. They can only blame themselves.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I believe people have the right to know if there is a sex offender around but no right to harass him/her.
I think the problem is that people will treat those ex*-criminals differently if they know, whether it's actual harassment or just trying to stay away from them.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:

you took the words right out of my mouth.

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
I don't condone what he did. He did a horrible thing, but he served his time and they need to accept it.

I mean, how the hell do they think making him move out is going to help?

He'll have to move to some other town. And if they don't want him living there, is he going to be made move again? It's not realistic in the slightest.

He has just as much right to live there as they do. Their behavior is horrible.

And why do you think the kids are scared so much? Because their parents made them that way. They can only blame themselves.
The problem is that it is within human nature to blame others, it's more the path of least resistance again

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 19th 2009, 11:37 PM

On the one hand, I know I myself would be afraid if there were a convicted murderer living near me. But on the other, I'm very pro-rehabilitation for criminals, no matter what their crime was. The only alternative to not allowing the rehabilitation of a criminal is to imprison them until they're dead, or to administer the death penalty, neither of which I agree with. After coming out of 20 years of prison, and being watched like a hawk by parole officers and the community at large, I think it's doubtful he would risk anything stupid.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#23 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 20th 2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
On the one hand, I know I myself would be afraid if there were a convicted murderer living near me. But on the other, I'm very pro-rehabilitation for criminals, no matter what their crime was. The only alternative to not allowing the rehabilitation of a criminal is to imprison them until they're dead, or to administer the death penalty, neither of which I agree with. After coming out of 20 years of prison, and being watched like a hawk by parole officers and the community at large, I think it's doubtful he would risk anything stupid.
Not unless he has some medical shit compulsion issues which they missed... Those types almost can't learn...

(#24 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 20th 2009, 12:21 AM

They can't really do anything about it. These kinds of people have to live somewhere. All the more reason for them to keep a better eye on their kids, I think. If you watch you children, there shouldn't be a problem.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#25 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Town Wants Child Killer To Move Out - March 20th 2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:

hehe, this seems to be pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
The problem is that it is within human nature to blame others, it's more the path of least resistance again
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsHope View Post
They can't really do anything about it. These kinds of people have to live somewhere. All the more reason for them to keep a better eye on their kids, I think. If you watch you children, there shouldn't be a problem.
Well, there's a problem with this. First, they can do something about it, and if he has some sense (assuming something actually happens to him), then he could theoretically sue.

But, the other part about watching the children, as much sense as that does make, I doubt that they'd resort to using that much common sense =/

Closed Thread