TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Angry Locker Rooms - September 22nd 2011, 01:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

At my school (and I'm sure at many other schools) have locker rooms that are open, no stalls or anything to change in, so therefore you have to change in the open.
Well I go to a Middle School where we have the lockers, 2 bath room stalls, 2 showers in a little cave thingy and then a little open area with more showers. Well considering we are teens and growing up and all that we are all VERY shy. Some of us try to hide in the showers (P.E teachers won't let us go in the bathroom stalls which I find completely stupid.)
Basically here is my opinion: We should be able to change in the bathroom or wherever because there could very well be girls with ED problems, and seeing other skinny girls would trigger them. There could also be SHers and depression/suicide girls as well (not saying it's just girls but could very well be a problem with the guys too). I'm just saying I don't think it's a very smart idea to force us to change in the open, especially since we are growing teens and the least we want is many other girls alongside us watching us. It just thoroughly pissing me off.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Locker Rooms - September 22nd 2011, 03:31 AM

Honestly, I disagree with this. I remember being in middle school and hating the whole changing thing so much, but I got over it as did most everyone I know. Having all the "shy" people change in the stalls took too long and we'd end up spending most of the period changing. I found that if it was that big of a problem, the girls would learn how to get changed by putting the gym clothes on and taking the school clothes off AFTER. (I know people that can change their underwear without revealing a thing, it's quite impressive.)

As far as the eating disorder thing goes, if it would be that much of a problem I feel like they could get a note from a professional saying that it could be harmful to their mental health to change with everyone else.

In my experience, girls don't really look at other girls in the locker room. Just be glad you don't have to shower anymore.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Locker Rooms - September 22nd 2011, 04:45 AM

Oh boy do I remember changing for gym in middle school. I went to a small private school and the only place for us to change was the VERY tiny bathroom with two stalls, a sink and about 5 feet left of just space. There were 10 girls in my class, all in this bathroom at once. I developed slower than the other girls and wasn't wearing a bra at the time and they would make fun of me and refuse to let me change out in the open area where most of us had to change. However they also wouldn't let me get to one of the stalls first. So I would sit outside the door waiting so I could change, listening to them talking about me... Ah yes changing for gym in middle school. They definitely should let you change in private, it's ridiculous. Or at least have the option.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Locker Rooms - September 22nd 2011, 04:47 AM

I disagree with the OP as well on several points. First, there could be people who cut, who have eating disorders and whatnot but if you're going to be that paranoid, you might as well go into a room and never come out. If people are triggered by the sight of others, then frankly I think that can be good because in the social setting, it forces them to suck it up and be more comfortable so hopefully it will affect them less. If a student truly is that affected, they should seek psychiatric help and have the psychiatrist issue a notice to the school that the student should be allowed to change by themselves as part of their therapy.

Second, as for looking at each other, you all have the same parts. You won't have a girl suddenly scream, "look everyone, Jessica has a vagina!" and have the rest of the room gasp in awe. The sizes of the parts may vary but you've just begun your teen years, it's expected you'll grow in various ways.

Third, it can be a way of getting over ridiculous shyness about having others see you. Your P.E. teacher either doesn't realize your ridiculous shyness or wants you to tough it up. I support your P.E. teacher in not letting you change in the bathroom stalls because if you're that shy and recluse, you could intentionally or unintentionally harm yourself with nobody being around to notice in time. Also, it would take far too long for each of you to go one at a time in the stall to change. You'd be late for class and class would have to end early because you'd take so long to change.

Perhaps it's different for females but for males, we all had to change in an open area, where there was 1 bathroom stall and 3 showers. Nobody was shy about changing because frankly, there was nothing to be shy about, unless of course you were taking a shower. However, due to all the humiliation people would get while taking a shower, nobody took a shower in the gym. When we changed, there was joking, laughing, the occasional fight, etc... . In fact, if someone was shy about changing, they'd be laughed at because frankly, that's ridiculous.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread