TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Who is and who isn't a celebrity? - March 19th 2009, 06:38 AM

I've been wondering this for a while and cant seem to wrap my head around it:

1) What makes a celebrity a celebrity?
2) Why do people post their personal lives in tabloids, magazines, etc.., willingly or unwillingly?

To me, I find it to be a farce. People cry out for equality in race, gender, etc... . Yet here, this is the exact opposite. If a celebrity dies, it gets put on the news, in the newspapers, etc... . But, if a few hundred random people die as usual, there's no fuss. Also, what exactly is it that they do? Some may be intelligent but why is it that actors or actresses are seen as celebrities? Why aren't more doctors seen as celebrities? Both groups benefit society, both make a good amount of money, yet an actor just has to walk out in the street and paparazzis take their photographs. If a doctor walks out in the street, at most, a previous client or collegue notices them but for the majority of the time, they're ignored. Of course, if a doctor discovers some break-through in medicine, then they're a celebrity for only a bit. No paparazzis, no fans wanting to get autographs, none of that for a long time.

So, what makes a celebrity? Some range in intelligence, some are male, some are female, some have a mental or physical disorder, some don't.

And I see far too often in magazines, the celebrities' personal issues are being talked about, such as "________ has dumped _______" or "______is pregnant". What is so fascinating about these magazines? They're people, they have their rough and good moments, just as everyone else does. Do people wish to look up to them, to become a celebrity? Why? After you die, maybe 10 or more years later, just like most other people, most living people (excluding family) will have moved on and forgotten about you.

So I'm curious, what makes a celebrity a celebrity? Sure some have talent, however, a doctor must go through university, medical school, etc..., then get a job. An actor may have some training then slowly move up. Yet, the doctor gets little publicity until of course he does a discovery and people kiss his/her ass. But after that, you're forgotten about.

So please, explain this to me. I see nothing special in a celebrity at all, just someone who either got lucky or was born into a well-known family. They're human, I see nothing special about an actor or actress. In a doctor, I see more yet how does the actor or actress help us? They entertain us, whereas the doctor can help treat us or discover a cure or more information on it. What does the actor and actress do? Nothing of the sort.

Of course, im generalizing. Musicians and atheletes are also celebrities, however, they tend to need more skill at playing an instrument. Of course, now, my view is that becoming a musician is more or less a farce. Go on American or Canadian or Britian's Idol and sing or do something. Forget about needing talent and slowly working your way up, just go, and do something.

Furthermore, what about celebrity shows. Paris Hilton's BFF? People are that desperate to be someone's friend or to get a friend? Just find some other friend, she's just another human, one who simply has more money but that is it. If it's for the money, it's not a friend, it's a walking, talking, breathing bank machine.

So explain these to me. Is it that people are so determined to get fame just for the sake of it? With all these reality shows, the "winner" gets some fame, even if it's some pointless show. And people are in love with this, things like American Idol. People just stare at and watch. Why not watch doctors go through medical school? Is there some reason people want to get fame?

I know I've asked a variety of questions but try to answer all or some of them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Who is and who isn't a celebrity? - March 19th 2009, 11:54 AM

Celebrity should be defined by who has achieved the most of done something remarkable, however it would seem the those days are long gone.

You get a lot of the Kevin Federline types, who are famous by association. Then you get the people who make sex tapes and stuff like that.

It seems that the people who have the most divorces, tragedies, breakups, drug scandals & take their clothes off the most become the most famous.

Then theres my personal favourite, the lovely reality stars who are just famous for being famous, no real point to them.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Who is and who isn't a celebrity? - March 19th 2009, 02:46 PM

1. Media Exposure - anyone can be a celebrity if they get the right exposure, we see it on the internet, Rick Astley having a resurgence in popularity with the rick roll. Josef Fritzl could be classed as a celebrity for doing whatever he did.

2. Cash + Idiots - Most will do it for cold, hard cash and to get rich quick. Others because the media has made them so and because the tabloids are too free. Mostly it is because idiots will buy these magazines, while there is demand there will be a supply

As you said: "________ has dumped _______" or "______is pregnant" wouldn't matter to those of us with more than one brain cell but it would seem there are a lot of people who do not

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Who is and who isn't a celebrity? - March 19th 2009, 02:55 PM

A celebrity is one of the following:

Idiot + Shallow talent + Money

Entrepaneur + Success + Snobbyness

Rich/Famous Parents + Stupidity

Talent + Complex social and personal life worthy of savvy media reporting for morons and people who have nothing better to do than look up some Hollywood person 12 times each day.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Who is and who isn't a celebrity? - March 20th 2009, 04:22 AM

[quote=xxEllexx;86808]Celebrity should be defined by who has achieved the most of done something remarkable[/quote]

This seems to be a good definition of what a celebrity should be. However..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter
Idiot + Shallow talent + Money

Entrepaneur + Success + Snobbyness

Rich/Famous Parents + Stupidity
AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic
1. Media Exposure - anyone can be a celebrity if they get the right exposure, we see it on the internet, Rick Astley having a resurgence in popularity with the rick roll. Josef Fritzl could be classed as a celebrity for doing whatever he did.

2. Cash + Idiots - Most will do it for cold, hard cash and to get rich quick. Others because the media has made them so and because the tabloids are too free. Mostly it is because idiots will buy these magazines, while there is demand there will be a supply

So, I think this has answered most of it but I want to hear answers from other people.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Who is and who isn't a celebrity? - March 21st 2009, 04:29 PM

I guess a celebrity is just anyone who is well known. That's why it's especially actor/esses and musicians. They create entertainment for many, many people. Think about how many more people see an actor in a movie as opposed to being healed by a certain doctor. The actor serves many more people than the doctor. However, the whole hype about celebrities is silly and unfortunate. Why does it matter if someone got pregnant/is dating someone/got drunk? It's sad how much attention is given to trivial things about celebrities. The only time I really care is if my favourite bands are announcing tours or something like that.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Closed Thread