TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 24th 2011, 04:14 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

This is pretty sad:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...18/detail.html
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 24th 2011, 01:07 PM

What the hell makes a 13 year old girl do that?!

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 25th 2011, 04:41 AM

Ian Lambie and Isabel Randell (2011) published a meta-analytic article discussing the various typologies for juvenile arsonists according to age groups. They examined a bit over 20 studies from 1991 to 2008 and for the age group including 13-year old children, the motivation was always a mix of anger, depression and anxiety stemming from parental upbringing. In essence, the fire setting was a way to release anger and get revenge without the intent to kill. Some studies also found children were experimenting and curious, having no skill at controlling the fire.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21382537

My view is in line with the 2 researchers aforementioned. For example, a grass fire may go all over the place depending on the grass or just in a main area. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and the only person in danger was the 13-year old girl, assuming nobody else was near-by. Also, setting a couch on fire doesn't harm anyone unless the person is on the couch but the article suggests it was unoccupied. Setting the bedroom on fire is a bit of a different story as it erases the memory of those who use the bedroom, even if the room is unoccupied. So that one may be more along the lines of revenge and anger, not curiosity.

I question the charges of first-degree murder because to me, it suggests the intended targets were either in the vicinity of the fire. I could understand that for the bedroom fire but am interested why it is six counts of first-degree murder. Although I am also interested in what made the police shift their suspicion from the 17-year old to the 13-year old. I'm not suggesting the girl is innocent or guilty, that's not something I care to dwell on until the trial comes to a close.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 25th 2011, 05:42 AM

Get some help for the child not jail time.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 25th 2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ✖Truth✖ View Post
She still committed attempted murder, just because she's a child doesn't mean she shouldn't be punished in some way. While she's incarcerated she should get the help she needs, but not a get out of jail free card.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 26th 2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythan View Post
She still committed attempted murder, just because she's a child doesn't mean she shouldn't be punished in some way. While she's incarcerated she should get the help she needs, but not a get out of jail free card.
Hold your horses there bub, she hasn't committed anything because her case hasn't been through trial yet. Save the blame game until after.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
pezpollution Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Thomas

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 26th 2011, 06:04 AM

Kids don't just go around setting fires. I think untill proven guilty or innocent she needs mental help. If she's proven guilty I hope they get her some help.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 26th 2011, 08:52 AM

She quite obviously has some sort of issue.

She should get help, not jail

xx

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 26th 2011, 09:36 AM

Some people simply are Pyromaniacs, it's a personal opinion, but some people don't consider it to be a mental condition, but simply a "dangerous hobby".

(#10 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 26th 2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ✖Truth✖ View Post
I wonder if you'd be quite so lenient if it was a 13 year old male, or even a 15 year old male. I don't believe you would, you'd join the rest of the crowd with pitchforks. That tends to be how public opinion works. Female, needs help. Male, evil bastard. Just another things on the list of things I notice which cause me a huge amount of anger.

To those who say she needs help but should not be punished - does this give me a free pass to try and burn down my house? I mean, it's not as if I'm going to be punished for it, right?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: 13-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Attempting To Kill Family By Setting Fires - September 26th 2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I wonder if you'd be quite so lenient if it was a 13 year old male, or even a 15 year old male. I don't believe you would, you'd join the rest of the crowd with pitchforks. That tends to be how public opinion works. Female, needs help. Male, evil bastard. Just another things on the list of things I notice which cause me a huge amount of anger.
If she were black, she'd probably be sentenced to death!

Closed Thread