TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 03:13 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Everyday I get a little more sure that there is NO WAY a republican will have a chance in the upcoming election. This guy is fucking nuts. Did you know that now that DADT has been repealed all of the gay soldiers are going to use it as an excuse to have sex while serving, did you know that I certainly didn't but apparently if you are gay all you do is have sex all of the time. It's truly scary that with all of the progress gay rights have made this presidential term that some republican psycho could wiggle his/her way into office and destroy it all. I don't think it has a shot at happening but who knows, I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep well until after the election next year.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#2 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 03:59 PM

I completely agree. Definitely scared for my rights right now.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 04:49 PM

I am so horribly disappointed by this. We should be proud and support all our troops who have acted so selflessly as to serve their country.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

Last edited by Angel; September 24th 2011 at 08:21 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 04:54 PM

Agreed!

Ridiculous. I recently watched a video of a soldier serving overseas called his father and came out as gay once the DADT was repealed. It was very touching, but now, someone is going to ruin these guys' chances of being themselves. We should all be proud of our soldiers, not booing them because of their sexuality. Who cares?

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 05:02 PM

As what Shannon said, why can't people be who they want to be? No matter who they are and what their sexuality, they deserve to be treated the same way as everybody else.
DADT better stay repealed.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 05:06 PM

Whether you agree or disagree with DADT, or homosexual behaviour in general, booing them is a horrific act and is incredibly homophobic.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 05:08 PM

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone in the military should give a damn about their personnel's sexual orientation. It has absolutely no bearing in combat preparedness, troop morale, efficiency or any other vital aspect of serving in any branch of the military.

Some people here say that they can't believe a republican could be elected, based on this and many other words/actions/ideas that they've brought forth. But unfortunately, I have a painful lack of faith in the American electorate, and I think it's a real possibility that one of these whackjobs could become the next president.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 08:09 PM

Leave it to the Tea Party Republicans, and Republicans in general to pull a stunt like this. They also shouted that a man should die rather than the government pay for his treatment because he had no health insurance. These people sicken me.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 24th 2011, 09:13 PM

I have mixed feelings on this issue because I feel much of it is obscuring the actual issues. Regarding the soldier, I don't care if he was booed or applauded. When you ask a question, particularly one that delves into controversial waters, you should expect mixed reactions and that's exactly what the soldier got. As for Santorum not giving, "sufficient respect to a serving soldier", that is minor stuff that obscures the actual issue.

The soldier is a grown man, he can live with not getting sufficient respect from a politician. If I booed a soldier because he said he's a homosexual, that has no bearing on whether I support the troops, there's a massive leap in logic between those two ideas.

As for Santorum saying he didn't hear the boos, that is no longer relevant as he's clearly hearing the soldier now as well as the boos. He actually worsened the situation by alleging to have not heard the boos.

When it comes to the soldier, I respect him because he's putting limb and life on the line in the name of his country. It doesn't matter if he's homosexual, heterosexual, tree-sexual or whatever other orientation for three reasons. First, one's sexual orientation does not completely define each individual, it's only a component of one's identity. Second, the sexual orientation isn't a determinent of one's proficiency in the military or being manly. Third, any sexual orientation isn't an infectious social illness. It's not like he'll walk around and his gay particles will find a non-homosexual person to latch onto and infect until they become a fellow gay person because they didn't get their anti-gay vaccine.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 25th 2011, 04:52 PM

This is why I believe the GOP are evil and as such do not associate with anyone considers themselves a member or follower of it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Gay soldier booed at GOP convention - September 25th 2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
This is why I believe the GOP are evil and as such do not associate with anyone considers themselves a member or follower of it.
To be fair not everyone in the GOP is evil. In fact in the article it mentioned at group called GOProud, that is a conservative gay rights group.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

Closed Thread