TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 19th 2009, 05:50 PM

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/we...mPeKbJHJw.cspx
Quote:
An openly gay junior high student is claiming his rainbow wristband got him singled out and discriminated against at school..
When will teachers go after gangs and leave non violent people alone?

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 19th 2009, 05:54 PM

is claiming does not mean is true.

I believe he's kicking up a fuss for no good reason

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 19th 2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
The student handbook from the school states, “In part that any designs or lettering that promote sex or sexual innuendos are prohibited.”
Although I think the slogan on the rainbow is ridiculas, as rainbows arent gay, even if they can be a gay symbol, I don't see how it promotes sex, and its not an innuendo.

I can see why the school might have an issue with it if a large portion of their school are conservative christens, as to them rainbows are a promise from God, not just a gay symbol. But then the issue of free speech and discrimination comes up.

I think the kid probably should wear a non-sloganned rainbow, I mean if he's out, its going to be obvious why he is wearing a rainbow. In fact, most people probably would catch on even if they didn't know his out status.

I don't see why the mother was contacted though That's over the top.

Quote:
is claiming does not mean is true
Yeah, but everything really in this forum tends to be based on claims in different ways. A claim doesn't automatically make it false.

I think its all a bit of an over reaction on both sides, and that they need to discuss it.

I'm also interested if any of the students actually cared, as he isn't breaking the rule I quoted earlier, so there is no obvious grounds for it unless there's been complaints.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 19th 2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Although I think the slogan on the rainbow is ridiculas, as rainbows arent gay, even if they can be a gay symbol, I don't see how it promotes sex, and its not an innuendo.

I can see why the school might have an issue with it if a large portion of their school are conservative christens, as to them rainbows are a promise from God, not just a gay symbol. But then the issue of free speech and discrimination comes up.

I think the kid probably should wear a non-sloganned rainbow, I mean if he's out, its going to be obvious why he is wearing a rainbow. In fact, most people probably would catch on even if they didn't know his out status.

I don't see why the mother was contacted though That's over the top.

Yeah, but everything really in this forum tends to be based on claims in different ways. A claim doesn't automatically make it false.

I think its all a bit of an over reaction on both sides, and that they need to discuss it.

I'm also interested if any of the students actually cared, as he isn't breaking the rule I quoted earlier, so there is no obvious grounds for it unless there's been complaints.
I was trying to point out that there are two sides to this story. While discrimination cannot be condoned in any way almost everyone on this forum will side with the student without all the info such is the nature of the forum. I was also trying to point out that it's not right to pass any kind of judgement as fact until the allegation is proven/disproven

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 19th 2009, 06:16 PM

I think he should be asked not to wear something that says rainbows are gay.

Beware of the cats.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 19th 2009, 06:28 PM

I think it is a complete overreaction on both sides. Firstly, the boy is 14. His age is a factor in this just because immaturity at that age is not uncommon. Yes, he's standing up for his sexuality, but there are better ways to go about it. Doing something with the knowledge it's going to create issues is silly.

His mother's reaction to the principal's phone call was also ridiculous. Hanging up on the principal helps NOTHING. While she may have been offended, she should of had the respect to at least try to compromise or solve the situation in some manner.

Like it was said, the school should use it as a learning opportunity. Best way to handle something that is much more prominent in society.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 19th 2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Natali said she decided to take matters into her own hands and contacted the American Civil Liberties Union. ACLU Arizona Executive Director Alessandra Soler Meetze said she thinks personal bias and politics came into play.
I assume they would have checked if te events actually happened?

Quote:
Public Relations Director for the Peoria School District Bonnie Apperson said Quintanilla never violated a code of conduct. She said the principal called Quintanilla’s mom to warn her and to protect the teen, and that he was never in trouble.
The events happened. The school confirmed this.

The issue is, was the school right or wrong for doing this?

After re-reading this last quote, the school acknowledges te kid broke no rules, and they were doing it to 'protect' te kid? This makes little sense, surely its te kid's choice to be out, so where did the school feel it was their choice?

I'm not saying its discrimination... by the sounds of it, the school wasn't being homophobic, it doesn't mean they were right, which is the question tat probably should be addressed. If he didnt break rules, should they have contacted the mother?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 19th 2009, 07:10 PM

It was just handled completely wrong by both sides. They're both at fault.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 02:44 AM

This story made me happy, in a sense. The mother is on his side, and I find that both touching and promising. That's where acceptance begins--in the home. When young people aren't afraid of being themselves at home, it encourages them to be unafraid of their differences.

The school handled this wrong. Being openly gay isn't flaunting sex. It isn't an innuendo. They should protect him by EDUCATING his peers, not by censoring his sexuality.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
“In part that any designs or lettering that promote sex or sexual innuendos are prohibited.”

I don't really see how it promotes sex or sexual innuendos. Personally, i don't see anything wrong with the wristband. However, the mothers reaction is a bit over the top and hanging up on the principal.. that's just silly.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
ThisIsMe Offline
Common sense ain't common
Not a n00b

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 02:57 AM

wow
seriously?
i think edge is right,
dont go against gays, bi's, or anything
but its already easy enough to recognize gangsters and such,
(with much more than just a silly wristband)

In this world of hate there has to be a light Be that light and spread some love Maybe this day the youth can make a difference, No more hate.
-Christofer Drew

days since i last SHed.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 03:04 AM

Mother should sue the school for harassment.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 04:38 AM

First, this is completely biased. He says they harassed him or whatever, yet where is the proof?
Second, what is the full story? This clearly is only half the story.
As for the quotes the Invert gave, I think that by "protect", I assume it to be a version of brace yourself, the storm is yet to come by other students (or if it gets to that, other parents complaining).

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 01:03 PM

If the student really has been harassed or bothered by other people about his sexual orientation, then he has a case. A wristband representing a sexual preference isn't an innuendo, therefore he broke no rules.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 01:34 PM

I agree with Lee on this one. I think he's making a big deal out of nothing.If I interpeted the article correctly, the principal seemed to think that because the kid was openly gay and promoting it on his wrist, that some students or teachers might harass or bully him, and that he was calling the boy's mother to warn her that the boy could get harmed because of his wristband, not because the boy was in trouble.

Maybe they both overeacted a bit.But I'm on the school's side this time.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 03:16 PM

I am a BIG supporter of gay rights but despite this, this kid's an idiot. I mean he says that line, "Like, don’t single us out, it’s who we are." Yet by wearing this armband he's singling himself out. Now if it was just a rainbow armband then who cares. But at my public high school I never saw anyone mess with a gay kid, and there were plenty openly gay guys and girls as made obvious by the large participation in the Day of Silence. And it's a good thing I didn't see anything because it would not have been good for the harasser. My point is if this kid was simply being harassed for just being gay then yes there would be a problem. But walking around with it written on your arm and then being upset when people single you out because of it, that's just stupid.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 04:37 PM

What the kid is wearing is wrong and segragting

It actually offends straight kids who like rainbows...

What if som1 has a shirt that says. Every colour is straight except for a rainbow braclet.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
First, this is completely biased. He says they harassed him or whatever, yet where is the proof?
Second, what is the full story? This clearly is only half the story.
As for the quotes the Invert gave, I think that by "protect", I assume it to be a version of brace yourself, the storm is yet to come by other students (or if it gets to that, other parents complaining).
how dare you tell the truth if it shows a gay person in a bad light

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
If the kid isn't breaking rules, it should be his choice... and its not like he's going to be completely unaware of what sort of thing might happen. But if he should do it knowing the risks is a different question. A phonecall to his mother I highly doubt was needed. Not to mention, didnt they phone a few days after the kid wore it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
how dare you tell the truth if it shows a gay person in a bad light
Yeah, to be fair, gays are still often protrayed in a bad light in most news sources. Though this article actually seemed quite impartial.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
If the kid isn't breaking rules, it should be his choice... and its not like he's going to be completely unaware of what sort of thing might happen. But if he should do it knowing the risks is a different question.
I agree, it should be his choice. However, I'm just saying that the "protect" thing may have been a way to say that if he keeps it up, it could be riskier even though he's not breaking any rules.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 20th 2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I agree, it should be his choice. However, I'm just saying that the "protect" thing may have been a way to say that if he keeps it up, it could be riskier even though he's not breaking any rules.
Which is something that he would surely recognise? Or something they could have talked to him about. I fail to see the need to contact the mother. Again this is unrelated to homophobia.. just my own curiousity.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Gay Peoria student's rainbow wristband generates controversy. - March 21st 2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Which is something that he would surely recognise? Or something they could have talked to him about. I fail to see the need to contact the mother. Again this is unrelated to homophobia.. just my own curiousity.
I agree, they could have talked to him about it, and I'm sure he knew it already. But I suppose contacting the mother would be a way of protecting their asses by showing they actually did try to do something, let the parents know (who would have known anyways). I know it seems rather foolish to do, however, that's what I think of it. I also think the kid is stirring up the shit for petty reasons, as plenty of other kids are bullied, harrassed, etc..., yet here he is whining about something that he knew would get him harassed yet he did it anyways.

Closed Thread