TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RadkeLover Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Tyler

Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 1st 2011, 06:13 PM

I recently put up a post about a rapist getting out of jail earlier, and one comment said that most people do not want rapists and molesters in their communities and near their children, do you think that it would be a reasonable thing to give them their own community to keep THEM away from US. Yes, i know it sounds like segregation, but the African american people didn't do anything to deserve to be segregated, these people did, so what do you think, use our own tax money to keep them away from us, or let them wander around us and possibly commit more rape?

What is love? I lost the meaning long ago.
  Send a message via AIM to RadkeLover Send a message via MSN to RadkeLover Send a message via Skype™ to RadkeLover 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 1st 2011, 06:20 PM

I oppose this for the same reason I oppose the death penalty - what happens when an innocent man or woman not only is forced to serve time for a crime they didn't commit, but is then forced out of society even further? That, and what about the cases of statutory rape when it was consensual sex between, say, a 17 and 19 year old but the parents of the former pressed charges?

You can't ~Here to help! PM me!!~
take away
my strength

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 1st 2011, 06:39 PM

I'd start off by saying that I don't think anyone deserves to be segregated as such, regardless of what offences they may have committed in the past. Your right to be part of society is not utterly voided if you commit certain crimes, after all, and nor should it be as that is vindictiveness rather than justice. On the specific idea raised, I don't think it provides a practical solution - shutting them off would merely be the same as putting them back in prison, but without a valid reason to, so you end up with potential double jeopardy claims being raised. I would further echo Dan's concerns as well. So for me, it's a non-starter.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 1st 2011, 06:50 PM

There's actually a woman here in Orlando trying to get this to happen. Most people are COMPLETELY and VEHEMENTLY against it. The fear is with them all in one place there would be no one to watch them. After all it's not like they couldn't leave their little suburb, they have to shop somewhere. The problem most people have is that when a sex offender moves into a community someone always knows about it and decides to watch them for themselves, in fact pretty much everyone in the area does. Therefore if they see a child go into that house, or the person being alone with a kid or whatever someone will most likely notice and stop it. But who's going to do it when the only people around are other sex offenders. I believe the statistic is like 96% of sex offenders will be repeat offenders. And when you think about it since the registry is screwed up (like a drunk kid who gets caught peeing in public has to register, or an 18 year old that had sex with their 15 year old significant other...) those people might make up that 4% that doesn't repeat, since they were never really a problem to begin with. In other words, no I don't think putting them all in one place is a good idea.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#5 (permalink)) Old
RadkeLover Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 1st 2011, 08:42 PM

hmm, good points, all of you, but what about if it was repeat offenders of over 20? hmmm?

Send a message via AIM to RadkeLover Send a message via MSN to RadkeLover Send a message via Skype™ to RadkeLover 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 1st 2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitchAurox View Post
hmm, good points, all of you, but what about if it was repeat offenders of over 20? hmmm?
What if it had repeat offenders over 30? It doesn't matter because as mentioned, they need to eat and drink, which means going to stores or have people buy for them (this isn't feasible as the segregation hinders or may even eliminate job opportunities). Also, all communities in theory have some form of law enforcement. If there's no such law enforcement, what's to stop the segregated people from going bonkers and raping and killing each other? In that case, you might as well toss them in a ring and say "fight to the death".

It's a no-go for me also because I see so many negative and problematic situations outweighing the extremely few (or perhaps there are no) positive situations. It's also not practical at all. You'd be better off just suggesting many group homes or half-way houses designated only for sex offenders, as that restricts where they'll sleep but they can still go out into the community to buy food, get jobs, etc... . Furthermore, these group homes or half-way houses would be a temporary situation for the sex offenders, sort of a way for them to get back on their feet before they venture out into the world. It has no segregation at all.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 2nd 2011, 04:03 PM

I don't like this idea for three main reasons:

1. People who are wrongly convicted would be sent to this community, which would (in some ways) seem more shameful than simply being in prison. There are few places more frightening for an innocent person to be.

2. People who have a rape conviction based on statutory rape laws. I'm not talking about a 30 year old having sex with a fifteen year old, but an 18/19 year old having consensual sex with a 16/17 year old. Putting them in the same community as hardened offenders and true creeps is a grossly inflated punishment for something that (circumstantially) shouldn't even be a crime.

3. It would cost a fortune. You'd either have to take over an abandoned town, or build a new one from scratch. And besides all of the buildings and structures needed, you would need cameras, fences and other security measures. It's simply not feasible from a financial standpoint. Most prisons are already perfectly adequate for such needs, so there's no reason to give these people a place outside of the prisons to live their lives like they didn't do anything wrong.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
RadkeLover Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 2nd 2011, 04:16 PM

good points all of you, this was just a debate, i love debates!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 9th 2011, 03:10 AM

No, they should stay in jail. Not be given privledges.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 9th 2011, 04:17 AM

TheWitchAurox, since everyone has said forming a community for this isn't going to happen and you haven't given any counter-arguments, I'll add a spin on this. Why do you think building such a community would be beneficial? Once they're released from prison, they're most likely on the sex-offender registry anyway, which acts as an indirect way of containing them, so would you keep the sex-offender registry or remove it? Also, instead of a community, would you think a hospital or secured institution for only sex offenders that have directly victimized people be put in there, or would you want all sex-offenders to be put in there? There are forensic psychiatric hospitals that already exist but as far as I know, they're for anyone who fits the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara. View Post
No, they should stay in jail. Not be given privledges.
Considering this is a debate, you've got to provide your reasoning and can you describe what you mean by "priveledges".

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 9th 2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
I'd start off by saying that I don't think anyone deserves to be segregated as such, regardless of what offences they may have committed in the past. Your right to be part of society is not utterly voided if you commit certain crimes, after all, and nor should it be as that is vindictiveness rather than justice. On the specific idea raised, I don't think it provides a practical solution - shutting them off would merely be the same as putting them back in prison, but without a valid reason to, so you end up with potential double jeopardy claims being raised. I would further echo Dan's concerns as well. So for me, it's a non-starter.
My thoughts exactly, Dave.

One million miles away...

(#12 (permalink)) Old
RadkeLover Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 10th 2011, 11:46 AM

The Man and XX Master: well, i posted this a week ago i think, and i have terrible memory, so i dont remember exactly why, but i think it had something to do with how my ex got molested and beat by her uncle and her uncle got out and is now tracking her down to hurt her. but that may or may not be the reason

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 11th 2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
I don't like this idea for three main reasons:

1. People who are wrongly convicted would be sent to this community, which would (in some ways) seem more shameful than simply being in prison. There are few places more frightening for an innocent person to be.

2. People who have a rape conviction based on statutory rape laws. I'm not talking about a 30 year old having sex with a fifteen year old, but an 18/19 year old having consensual sex with a 16/17 year old. Putting them in the same community as hardened offenders and true creeps is a grossly inflated punishment for something that (circumstantially) shouldn't even be a crime.

3. It would cost a fortune. You'd either have to take over an abandoned town, or build a new one from scratch. And besides all of the buildings and structures needed, you would need cameras, fences and other security measures. It's simply not feasible from a financial standpoint. Most prisons are already perfectly adequate for such needs, so there's no reason to give these people a place outside of the prisons to live their lives like they didn't do anything wrong.
I agree with all these points.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Debate: Rapists and Molesters should have own community? - October 11th 2011, 11:37 PM

I will throw in my two cents...I'll expect my change later :P

I am against this for several reasons, I agree with the points made about the logistics of making a new community for sexual criminals. It would be a nightmare to set up. It will also fall apart quickly, since A) you won't have a diverse mix of people to create and maintain jobs (who wants to be the urologist?!?!) B) Who would want to deliver goods to such a town?

Basically, It would dissolve apart within a matter of months, maybe weeks.

That aside, it wouldn't solve anything. Even if you have major repeat offenders, then why would we let them back out into a closed community? They are already in a closed community. It's called Prison. If you want to get let out of prison, prove to the staff that you are changed and can make a positive impact in the regular community. Otherwise, why would we let you out of the guarded community in the first place?

Also, as one of the persons who have skirted the date rape, I agree that more discretion is needed in the judging of these laws. Consenting couples shouldn't be punished in the same bracket as rapist.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
Closed Thread