TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Sex changes in children - October 5th 2011, 10:26 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So this semester I'm taking a sociology course on gender and sexuality in society. We recently covered transgendered people and the crimes against them etc, but most of this was about adults.
I bought up a documentry that was shown a little while ago on English TV ... as part of the Body Shock series. The show explored the idea of children as young as 11 starting hormone replaecment therapy to prevent puberty so they could later have a sex change. I found the show really interesting and agree with the idea of choice if the child is clearly tormented by gender dysphoria.
However, many people in my class thought it was awful, and that gender reassignment should only be done in adults. I know there's a chance that they might change their minds, but when a child is so determined to change their gender that they try to do so themselves, surely that shows a real problem, not just a phase??
Here's part 1 of the documentry on youtube ... it's really interesting and at points pretty moving if you have time to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4woW5ViUqK0
What does everyone else think? Should children have the right to choose gender reassignment at the age of 11?

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Sex changes in children - October 5th 2011, 10:33 PM

I'm going to say no, although I am completely open to allowing a transgender child to live as the gender they feel most comfortable I don't think surgery before age 18 is appropriate. There's the possibility that they might change their minds, but also do we know the long term effects of this on growing kids? I'm thinking most doctors wouldn't consider surgery until the child is fully grown anyway. As for the hormone replacement I'm not sure.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Sex changes in children - October 5th 2011, 10:41 PM

Yeah I wouldn't mess with a kids hormones until they are at least 18. It's just not safe.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Sex changes in children - October 6th 2011, 01:42 AM

I would have always said the same until I saw this ... kids who go through puberty have a very hard time changing afterwards, boys develop a wider frame, adams apple etc, things that can't then be changed with surgery like genitals can.
I don't know about the actual surgery being done until they have finished puberty, because if they then decide not to at say 18, they can stop HRT and maybe regain some elements of puberty. And they would still have the biological sex they were born with.
I just think making kids through puberty, denying them HRT, when they are suffering from obvious psychological problems because of it isn't fair :/

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread