TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 6th 2011, 04:12 PM

This is kinda geting out of control..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=j_uaC-0pXPs

^ a new video shot by a high school student shows his friend getting his face smashed into a table by a police officer after the student asks a question. During the filming a teacher is heard saying that it is illegal to be recording the incident. Rather than come to the studentís aid, the teacher chooses to enable police brutality instead.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association is calling for an independent investigation after a 17-year-old Williams Lake woman said she was handcuffed and beaten by RCMP when she asked the officers for help.

Jamie Haller told CTV B.C. she was being chased by gang members on Sept. 10 when she stopped a passerby and asked her to call police.

The officers quickly arrived on the scene, but instead of helping Haller, she claims they quickly placed her in handcuffs, "roughed" her up and placed her in the back of a police cruiser.

Haller admits she became angry and started kicking the cruiser's window.

"One guy jumped in and was holding my legs down, the other guy was holding my upper body and he was punching me in the face, I know he must have punched me more than six times," Haller told CTV British Columbia.

She added: "I felt so afraid of the cops, more than I was of the people who were chasing me."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78P4UE20110926

A California policeman pleaded not guilty on Monday to killing a schizophrenic homeless man who was beaten and repeatedly shocked with a Taser in a videotaped July confrontation with six officers.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 735704 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 6th 2011, 06:41 PM

Wow, there are some asshole cops. Who would have guessed.

Protip: There are assholes in every profession. There's no excuse for what they did, but it doesn't make all cops assholes.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 6th 2011, 08:57 PM

I agree with Ben, the actions of some cops don't represent the actions of the whole. Just like in the Occupy Wall Street protests, there are some cops who abuse their power, but that shouldn't reflect on all of the NYPD, there are cops who take their job to "Protect and Serve" seriously.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 6th 2011, 09:36 PM

The cops are pigs. The problem is that every time you hear about 1 asshole cop, there are 50+ cops in his department covering his ass making sure he gets away with it.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 7th 2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
The cops are pigs. The problem is that every time you hear about 1 asshole cop, there are 50+ cops in his department covering his ass making sure he gets away with it.
You have a citation for that statistic?

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 7th 2011, 04:32 AM

*based off the virst vid*

Ok yet again, lets not pass judgement off a 1 min video on youtube....

Now lets look at the facts..

1. The cop was called on the student cues he stole his sisters purse
2. The cop asked if it was his, did he steal it, blah bllah blah..
3. The student would not give the cop the purse
4. The principle said he was suspended for his actions.
5. The kid then responds saying: "Fuck you! Why the Fuck am I being suspended!"
6. At which time the cop places the student under arrest for theft, DC, etc...
7. The student resists
8. The cop uses the needed force to place the student under arrest.

I don't know what makes you think arrests are suppose to be pretty and nice, cues there not. Most of the time when someone is placed under arrest they do not go willingly. The Offcier needs to be incharge of the arrest, not the arresty. If you resist, more ofrce will be applied untill you chose to listen or are forced to listen, simple as that.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 7th 2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
*based off the virst vid*

Ok yet again, lets not pass judgement off a 1 min video on youtube....

Now lets look at the facts..

1. The cop was called on the student cues he stole his sisters purse
2. The cop asked if it was his, did he steal it, blah bllah blah..
3. The student would not give the cop the purse
4. The principle said he was suspended for his actions.
5. The kid then responds saying: "Fuck you! Why the Fuck am I being suspended!"
6. At which time the cop places the student under arrest for theft, DC, etc...
7. The student resists
8. The cop uses the needed force to place the student under arrest.

I don't know what makes you think arrests are suppose to be pretty and nice, cues there not. Most of the time when someone is placed under arrest they do not go willingly. The Offcier needs to be incharge of the arrest, not the arresty. If you resist, more ofrce will be applied untill you chose to listen or are forced to listen, simple as that.
>playing around with his sister - he said he'd give it back at the end of break

>'resists arrest' - video shows no signs of this

>Has his head slammed down repeatedly on the table.

Yeah the officer was totally justified.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 7th 2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
You have a citation for that statistic?
The number was more of a guesstimate. The fact is that the department of officers who do things like this do their best to get him out of any trouble, because otherwise they'll look bad + have to employ another person.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 7th 2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:

>playing around with his sister - he said he'd give it back at the end of break

>'resists arrest' - video shows no signs of this

>Has his head slammed down repeatedly on the table.

Yeah the officer was totally justified.
That fact a police officer and the principle had to intervene does not make it "playing around". The brother stole his sisters purse, the sister said to give it back and the the brother said no and kept it. (really are we 5?) That's theft. They were in public not at their house, so that means they have to play by the rules just like everyone else.

You see when the cops tries to lift the student out of his chair when he won't comply and tries to put the students hands behind his back, the students won't stand up and stiffens his arms so the cop can't place him under arrest. And no his head wasn't thrown down on the table, his upper body was to gain compliance and so the officer would have the upper hand (aka being on top) cues the student decided to resist arrest.

Last edited by Halo345; October 7th 2011 at 02:41 PM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 7th 2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:

The number was more of a guesstimate. The fact is that the department of officers who do things like this do their best to get him out of any trouble, because otherwise they'll look bad + have to employ another person.
So pretty much you have no idea and just trying to start something.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 7th 2011, 07:17 PM

If any of the first two examples happened to me, I don't think I'd let it go. I'm a different person entirely when pissed off, and I can easily imagine myself going through the trouble of finding their address and evening the score when the're off duty. I'm serious. I'm fucking crazy when I'm pissed, and just watching/reading these got my hair standing on end. Especially the 2nd one. The first example is kinda stupid, but still provoking. The kid was being quite an idiot.

I accept that there are assholes everywhere and in every profession and school and workplace, but I won't accept them fucking me around, or for that matter anyone else whom I consider close to me.

/end rant

I'll post again when I'm calmer

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; October 7th 2011 at 07:28 PM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 8th 2011, 04:40 AM

^wow. And that why cops cary off duty.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 8th 2011, 05:09 AM

All of this cop hate is pretty scary. I mean yes some cops abuse their power but that doesn't make every time a cop needs to use force unjustified. I mean do you really think that the world would be a better place without them?! Hell no, chaos that's all we'd get from that. And Cosmo I know you aren't American but you make a blatant statement like "Cops are pigs" and it's kind of insulting to cops such as the ones that worked 9/11 and Katrina. They have a job, and yeah sometimes it makes them look bad, but most of the time they are in the right and seeing as we aren't there and aren't experiencing the situations first hand I don't see how we can judge.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#14 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 8th 2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
All of this cop hate is pretty scary. I mean yes some cops abuse their power but that doesn't make every time a cop needs to use force unjustified. I mean do you really think that the world would be a better place without them?! Hell no, chaos that's all we'd get from that. And Cosmo I know you aren't American but you make a blatant statement like "Cops are pigs" and it's kind of insulting to cops such as the ones that worked 9/11 and Katrina. They have a job, and yeah sometimes it makes them look bad, but most of the time they are in the right and seeing as we aren't there and aren't experiencing the situations first hand I don't see how we can judge.
Depends where you go. Over in America there are a few decent cops. Here in the UK I'd say we have quite a lot more good cops. Not all cops are 'pigs' but it seems like any time they're involved with managing protests they manage to incite violence themselves.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 8th 2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Not all cops are 'pigs' but it seems like any time they're involved with managing protests they manage to incite violence themselves.
Lol... that summed one aspect of it up very well.

Perhaps it's the areas I used to hang around in. The police were always on their toes and over reactive to small things, but crucially under-reactive to important things like someone getting the shit beaten out of them by 20 pathetic hoodlums. Too much effort to round them all up, decide which of them exactly are guilty in court etc. But yea.... over reactive to small things, like someone taking their bike on the pavement for 2/3 metres to chain it to the bike stand (not allowed to cycle on pavements).

Also noticed... that frequently the aggressive police are the overweight males, so just by trend those also tend to be quite lazy when it comes down to doing something more than fining someone for taking their bike on the pavement.

I really like the feeling when occasionally I get to talk with some decent honest police, which happens more frequently now, probably because I live elsewhere now. It's just not a feeling I grew up with and it'l take time to adjust. Occasionally I get stopped on my bicycle by some police for whatever reasons, usually good actually, like they're looking for someone, or one time I got stopped because I really was pissed off and "looked like I wanted to kill someone" (in their words), because two dumb shits were following me on the way to a friends house and I was just ready to lash out as soon as I got off the bike. I was on edge. They understood perfectly and let it go, even went looking for those morons. Around here, there hasn't been any of this crap with an officer for example kicking my bike over and throwing me against their car because I apparently looked disrespectfully at them, or because they didn't like my tone, which is something I remember happening to others more than once around where one of my friends used to live.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; October 8th 2011 at 01:21 PM.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 8th 2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Depends where you go. Over in America there are a few decent cops. Here in the UK I'd say we have quite a lot more good cops. Not all cops are 'pigs' but it seems like any time they're involved with managing protests they manage to incite violence themselves.
That's cues you don't hear about the good cops do. Unless he drags someone out of a burning acar or something people tend to not gaf and scrutinize them in an attempt to get out of hole they dug themselves.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 8th 2011, 01:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoDH...e_gdata_player

(#18 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 8th 2011, 01:19 PM

Let me clarify. I don't hold much of a grudge against police. I hold a grudge against assholes, and I don't give a shit if it so happens that some of those assholes wear badges.

The only grudge I may hold against British police is the organisation... more the legal side of all of it. Too indecisive. Being decisive doesn't mean using more force, it means knowing what you're doing, clear orders, clear guidelines and clear objectives. The riots showed what a mess the police were in. They should have dealt with it on the first day, and not take 2/3 days before realising that they need to seriously crack down.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 8th 2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
Let me clarify. I don't hold much of a grudge against police. I hold a grudge against assholes...
Ill give ya that. Haha

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Kitty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 9th 2011, 10:37 PM

It kind of looks like the kid tried to spin around causing the cop to lose control. Before that, the kid definiately looks like he is resisting arrest and kind of looks like he tried to smack the cop. I don't have sympathy.

The kid videotaping is an idiot and doesn't know how "freedom of speech" truly works. He does not have the right to tape in school. He obviously hasn't heard of loco parents.

Notice the sister isn't on tape?

Second one - so why the hell would you start kicking the windows in a police cruiser?

(#21 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 10th 2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Second one - so why the hell would you start kicking the windows in a police cruiser?
How would you feel if there was an intruder in your house threatening you, you manage to call the police, they turn up, smack you and pack you into their car like a bag of groceries?

I don't think most people would "calmly tell them they don't like it and to please stop"

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Cops who use badge to do whatever they want - October 11th 2011, 02:10 AM

My Ruger dispenses vigilante justice. All I ask from anyone is that he ask nothing from me. Hold the pulled pork please.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread