TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Texting & Driving. - October 9th 2011, 07:34 PM

*I guess this could go here, feel free to move it if necessary.*

My aunt's boyfriend picked me up on Friday with his two boys who are 6 and 9. He had me (18), my sister (15), and my cousin (14) in the car with him. While driving on the highway, he started texting. I started getting angry but I let it go. Then he started swirving all over the place. I was scared for our lives. But I kept my mouth shut because I know he would've just told me to shut up. So, if you were in this situation would you say something? Would you be mad? Would you ask them to stop even though they're wayyyyy older than you?

Tell me your thoughts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 9th 2011, 08:14 PM

I think that texting and driving should be illegal. In my city (Chicago) and I think many other larger cities, talking on the phone while driving (and this includes texting) has become illegal. I'm not sure about EVERYWHERE else, but I don't text and drive. A text isn't as important as my life. That person can wait until I'm stopped at a stop light, or I get to where I am destined to be. I took an oath on a website, and got a thumb ring that I wear on my right thumb to remind me of this. The oath is for a family who lost their daughter due to texting and driving.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 9th 2011, 08:21 PM

Where I live (California), texting & driving IS illegal, as well as talking on the phone & driving & using other handhelds while driving. I think it's a great law, but not enough people get pulled over for it. I have friends that text & drive with me in the car & usually I won't say anything unless I notice it's affecting their driving. I know for my boyfriend, he drives crazy if he's texting. That is definitely when I tell him to put down the phone. For older people, well, that depends. My dad texts & drives sometimes, but I keep my mouth shut or it would start this big dispute about him having more driving experience than me. He doesn't drive crazy anyways, so no big. But if it made me really uncomfortable, I would probably say something.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 9th 2011, 09:50 PM

Well I personally think that there are times when talking on the phone and driving are necessary, such as when you are lost, or someone has and emergency. Texting and driving is not illegal here, usually though if there is someone else in the car with me I'll give it to them to write the text, my dad does the same thing. If I'm by myself and decide to answer I can usually do it without looking at the phone, though I NEVER text and drive while on the highway. If I'm driving over 30mph I won't text and drive.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 9th 2011, 10:25 PM

With the old-style phones, it was easier. I used to text and drive all the time. The key was to memorize how many clicks it took on which numbers. Granted, I would read the responses at stops. I can't do that anymore because there are too many keys. Even with touch pads, I can't feel the clicks or the boundaries of the keys.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 9th 2011, 10:38 PM

Here in the UK its illegal and I was actually shocked and totally surprised it is not in the US. The US needs to play catchup and realise it's very, very dangerous.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 9th 2011, 11:14 PM

What your aunt's boyfriend did was downright stupid regardless of his age. Even if he had no passengers with him, his driving could've caused an accident. I'd be angrier than a wet cat in a hay stack but I would do my best not to act out toward the driver (or in your case, all of you in the car). The boyfriend was being stupid, driving fast, swirving like a madman, distracted, and the last thing he'd need is people shouting at him. If I were in the car, I'd wait until he parked and then I'd slap him silly. If I truly felt scared, I'd ask him to pull over because I have to use the bathroom badly, otherwise I'm dumping in the car. Once he pulls over, I go to the bathroom, come back and before he can start up, I'd try to wrestle the phone from him. I wouldn't ask for him to not use it because someone who is that reckless and stupid probably wouldn't listen.

When I'm driving, I rarely use the phone, unless it's for an emergency, I'm lost, I'm late or something else important. However, it has to be a short conversation and using hands-free communication so I can have both hands on the wheel. I can drive automatic and manual, so I'm more willing to answer the phone when I'm driving an automatic car. If it's an important call, I'll park then talk, hand the phone to a passenger for them to talk or use hands-free communication for a short talk, especially at red lights.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 9th 2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Here in the UK its illegal and I was actually shocked and totally surprised it is not in the US. The US needs to play catchup and realise it's very, very dangerous.
Oops. Sorry, I didn't clarify that where I am it IS illegal. But a lot of people don't listen and they just do whatever the hell they please. Especially him.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 10th 2011, 12:48 AM

It's a shame that so many people are obsessed with technology that they can't wait until they've finished driving to send a text. Sure, some journies take a while, but I have plenty of friends who would text multiple times over a 10 minute drive.

It is dangerous, it should be illegal, and I'm glad it is illegal here.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 02:51 AM

It's illegal in BC and I'm glad it is. No text is worth a life.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
equinox Offline
the hardest part is letting go
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 02:59 AM

Its illegal here. If a text is that important to send right then you can pull over.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 08:33 AM

I think it's one thing to talk on your mobile phone while driving. At least you are still looking at the road. But to text and drive is just ridiculously stupid. Anyone who thinks it is a good idea to take their eyes off the road for an extended amount of time, only use one hand to steer for an extended amount of time, and be concentrating more of typing instead of driving should have their license taken off them immediately. It is dangerous and there is never a good reason to text and drive.

Here, it's illegal to use your mobile phone while driving, including when stopped at a red light. You can talk on your mobile, but it has to be hands-free. And for people who've only just gotten their license (in the last year), it's illegal to use a hands-free mobile as well.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 10:16 AM

I think stopped at lights it's fine. Otherwise no. It's more dangerous than talking on the phone driving ... at least on the phone your eyes are on the road not checking your spelling -.-

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 11:52 AM

You know, I'll show my age here, but I distinctly remember a time when there were no cell phones whatsoever. And you know something? We all got by just fine.

We've been conditioned to expect immediacy in everything we do, and the idea that we all have to be connected to each other all the time, instantly and immediately and on demand is something that's been artificially created. It's so powerful, though, b/c it taps into the pleasure centers of the brain, all that attention.

I digress...

Studies show that merely talking on the phone while driving is the equivalent of driving drunk, the level of impairment in attention and concentration is the same, with the same accident rate, too. Txting while driving is like letting a 5 year old drive, as you see.

So, what I'd do for the safety of everyone in the car and other drivers and pedestrians is to respond as if the driver txting and attempting to drive WAS a five year old, and tell him to turn it off immediately, and if he refused, take the phone away and turn it off.

Some things are worth getting into an argument over, and when it comes to actual physical safety, it's one of them.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 12:58 PM

If they can actually text and drive, without compromising their attention to the road too much (which is almost impossible), then I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. I'd get pissed if I saw them looking 80% of the time down at the phone though, which is pretty much what most people do when they text.

But, not on the highway going 70mph/130kmph. Maybe going slowly like 20mph-30mph through a built up area, assuming there aren't many hazards.

Pretty much a no.

What would I do? Not sure. I'm not really friends with any nutcase who does such things so I don't imagine myself in that position. But if I really felt in danger I guess I would just get out and take a bus. Or on the highway... hitch-hike.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 06:39 PM

A lot of people claim that they're "good drivers," but it doesn't take long for something bad to happen...especially when you're driving 30+ miles an hour. A second can make a huge difference, and I wouldn't even care if it was the best driver in the world. No one should be texting while driving; even at stop lights (though it's not near as bad as texting while moving the vehicle). If you see someone text while driving, suggest that the stop. If not, have them drop you off and see if you can get someone else to drive you. It's irresponsible behavior, and puts lives at more danger than driving already does alone.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 07:52 PM

It's illegal in Michigan. I still do it in traffic jams and at stoplights, and would hope to have a ticket reduced and/or thrown out if I was caught in that situation. Texting at speed is idiotic, the only time I did it I ran a red at 50mph.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 09:25 PM

I would've told him that I didn't appreciate it.
I don't believe in texting and driving, I never do it.
I always have someone text for me, or I don't text at all.
I think it should be illegal.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 09:26 PM

I mean I think it should be illegal where I'm at.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 12th 2011, 09:48 PM

Where I live, it is Illegal to text and drive. I never text and drive unless I'm at a red light and I need to respond to something, then and there. That was completely wrong for him to do that, specially with a car full of people and on the highway, where he could risk the lives of the other cars. I would have totally grabbed his phone and yelled at him.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 13th 2011, 12:03 AM

It's illegal here in California and I'm glad for that. Albeit, I do think that you should be able to call someone in the event of an emergency.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#22 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 13th 2011, 04:26 AM

Like other people have said, my mom has the passenger (whoever's in shotgun) text for her. I think if you don't have passengers who can text for you, that person's just gonna have to wait.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Texting & Driving. - October 13th 2011, 06:54 AM

{Friend is texting while driving}

Me: Hey, can't that wait till later?
Friend: I can drive don't worry.

{He texts, swerves a bit out of lane}

Me: Dude, you can't do this.
Friend: You're just overreacting man.
Me: *sigh*....