TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

The Third Wave - October 12th 2011, 07:17 PM

I saw a television program about the third-wave neo-nazi movement that happened in the 1960's where a teacher turned a majority of a sophmore class into neo-nazis. Before diving into this debate, I highly recomend reading this first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Wave

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: The Third Wave - October 12th 2011, 09:52 PM

What's there to debate about? A teacher ran an experiment to show the dangers of becoming a fascist society even in a strong democratic country. I don't really see a debate, I saw a teacher going above and beyond in his job.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: The Third Wave - October 13th 2011, 03:17 AM

Of course, but on the program some people argued his practice was immoral, and he was actually fired from his job for his "Immoral" practices. So I guess a better thing to debate and speculate on is: Was the practice immoral? Did he deserve to do fired? Do you feel if the study was carried out in modern times, would students still "fall" for the 'trick'?

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: The Third Wave - October 13th 2011, 03:59 AM

Interesting experiment.

Horrible, awful book.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: The Third Wave - October 14th 2011, 06:26 AM

Agreed, it was an interesting experiment, but the book wasn't as great.

Overall I think Fascism is slandered far too much, it's actually quite an effective system of government.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: The Third Wave - October 14th 2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Overall I think Fascism is slandered far too much, it's actually quite an effective system of government.
Depends entirely on your view of the function of government, particularly in terms of how it treats people who don't conform to its chosen ideal. That however is another topic.

It's an interesting experiment, and reminds me a lot of the Milgram experiment in terms of the impact of authoritarian figures on otherwise free-thinking individuals. I understand the ethical concerns about it, but it certainly provides an insight into our true nature. It also rather gives the lie to Sam Harris' claim that in order for good people to do bad things, you need religion - on the basis of these experiments, all you need is a suitably strong central authority and God has nothing to do with it. That is also another topic, however.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: The Third Wave - October 15th 2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
Depends entirely on your view of the function of government, particularly in terms of how it treats people who don't conform to its chosen ideal. That however is another topic.

It's an interesting experiment, and reminds me a lot of the Milgram experiment in terms of the impact of authoritarian figures on otherwise free-thinking individuals. I understand the ethical concerns about it, but it certainly provides an insight into our true nature. It also rather gives the lie to Sam Harris' claim that in order for good people to do bad things, you need religion - on the basis of these experiments, all you need is a suitably strong central authority and God has nothing to do with it. That is also another topic, however.
Don't you mean Steve Weinberg?

Since you brought it up though, I wouldn't say God has nothing to do with it. Certainly the quote is an exaggeration for effect, as most quote are, but the point itself still stands: "Sufficiently atrong authority makes otherwise good people do immoral things," and as far as authorities go, Almighty God is pretty damn high on the list.

As you say though, that's another topic. More generally, I would say this: never trust authority implicitly, never forego your responsibility to be skeptical, and never ever trust any feeling that tells you that you are superior to another thinking being. If you can think yourself superior to a rapist or a theif, then you can think yourself superior to a pauper or a jew. The only safe way to be a good person is to be good to everyone, not only to those who you judge to be worthy.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: The Third Wave - October 16th 2011, 05:22 AM

I recall watching a spin on this; a documentry called "The Wave" whilst studying Milgram in Psychology.
Indeed, a very eye-opening social experiment.

One million miles away...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: The Third Wave - October 16th 2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Don't you mean Steve Weinberg?
Shit. Was reading a Sam Harris article and the name stuck - sorry. I really need to raise my game from now onwards, this is just getting sloppy.

Quote:
Since you brought it up though, I wouldn't say God has nothing to do with it. Certainly the quote is an exaggeration for effect, as most quote are, but the point itself still stands: "Sufficiently atrong authority makes otherwise good people do immoral things," and as far as authorities go, Almighty God is pretty damn high on the list.
That isn't what Weinberg said, though, is it? (Especially now I've got the name right this time!) He said, and I quote, "But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Not, "But for good people to do evil things, that takes a sufficiently strong authority" - if he had said that, I would not object so much. As he does, I do.

Quote:
As you say though, that's another topic. More generally, I would say this: never trust authority implicitly, never forego your responsibility to be skeptical, and never ever trust any feeling that tells you that you are superior to another thinking being. If you can think yourself superior to a rapist or a theif, then you can think yourself superior to a pauper or a jew. The only safe way to be a good person is to be good to everyone, not only to those who you judge to be worthy.
I agree entirely. (Didn't see that one coming I imagine! )

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: The Third Wave - October 16th 2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
That isn't what Weinberg said, though, is it? (Especially now I've got the name right this time!) He said, and I quote, "But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Not, "But for good people to do evil things, that takes a sufficiently strong authority" - if he had said that, I would not object so much. As he does, I do.
Are you familiar with the principle of charity?

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: The Third Wave - October 17th 2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Are you familiar with the principle of charity?
I am indeed; I apply it as a matter of principle. Unfortunately, I do not see how it can apply to his use of the word "religion" without calling into question the rationality of the choice of words, which somewhat defeats the point of the principle of charity. It is intended to prevent misconstrual of statements, not to prevent someone being hoisted by their own petard if such statements are flawed. "Religion" has a particular meaning, and one which I am confident Weinberg was fully aware of when he made that statement. The full passage, after all, was as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Weinberg
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Source.

Quote:
RIP Nick

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: The Third Wave - October 18th 2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply.

The only purpose of government is to maintain the existence of government. I think, as Nigel Hawthorne once said, while playing the role of Sir Humphrey Appleby (A member of Her Majesty's Civil Service).

"Hacker: How many people do we have in this department?
Sir Humphrey: Ummm... well, we're very small...
Hacker: Two, maybe three thousand?
Sir Humphrey: About twenty three thousand to be precise.
Hacker: TWENTY THREE THOUSAND! In the department of administrative affairs, twenty three thousand adminstrators just to administer the other administrators! We need to do a time-and-motion study, see who we can get rid of.
Sir Humphrey: Ah, well, we did one of those last year.
Hacker: And what were the results?
Sir Humphrey: It turned out that we needed another five hundred people."

(#13 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: The Third Wave - October 18th 2011, 10:13 AM

I think a government should treat people like people, not like machines or expendable resources. In my opinion that rules out fascism. I've got no source that it's what fascism constitutes, but it's based on observation, history lessons, TV documentaries etc.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; October 18th 2011 at 12:07 PM.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: The Third Wave - October 19th 2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
The only purpose of government is to maintain the existence of government.
[citation needed]

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: The Third Wave - October 19th 2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
[citation needed]
Ayn Rand, philosopher and writer.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: The Third Wave - October 19th 2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Ayn Rand, philosopher and writer.
There is no god.

Source: Ayn Rand, philosopher and writer.

Sorry bub, either proclaim your atheism now or do better than claiming Ayn Rand as a fundamental authority of politics.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: The Third Wave - October 19th 2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
There is no god.

Source: Ayn Rand, philosopher and writer.

Sorry bub, either proclaim your atheism now or do better than claiming Ayn Rand as a fundamental authority of politics.
She can be right about one thing, and wrong about another.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: The Third Wave - October 19th 2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
She can be right about one thing, and wrong about another.
Okay, so she's right about god but wrong about government. Glad we got that sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile
The only purpose of government is to maintain the existence of government.
[citation still needed]

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: The Third Wave - October 19th 2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Okay, so she's right about god but wrong about government. Glad we got that sorted out.

[citation still needed]
I know I walked myself into that one after I logged off of my computer

Overall though, government is run by people who have an interest in sustaining and expanding the strength of the government, the whole "for the people, by the people" concept is nonsense, it doesn't work.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: The Third Wave - October 19th 2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
"for the people, by the people" concept is nonsense, it doesn't work.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: The Third Wave - October 19th 2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
I'm not saying it's not desirable, but the system always breaks down, one group of people takes too much power and it becomes democratic only in name, or no one has any power and nothing gets done. You need a level of central authority to efficiently run a government.

Closed Thread