TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 13th 2011, 06:50 PM

I don't know how many of you are aware of Toms Shoes. It's basically an organization where you buy a pair of their shoes, and they give a pair of shoes to a child in a third world country who doesn't own a pair of shoes.
But I was recently reading Seventeen magazine, and I saw an add for Bobs by Sketchers. Same thing, same mission.
It kind of shocked me for a moment, I thought, are they really ripping off someones own original idea? I mean don't get me wrong, the more the merrier! It's going for a good cause!
But, I was just wondering, if they asked for permission to do the same thing as this guy, or just simply took it upon themselves and stole their idea.
What do you think?

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 13th 2011, 08:13 PM

I like the fact that they're still giving shoes to the kids, but they're undercutting TOMS on the more expensive shoes, which I think is wrong. Also, the fact that they are the same style is dumb. If they'd designed a different pair, then people might buy both and more kids would get shoes and it would be good, but they haven't. They have basically copied. I'm unsure as to whether I consider the fact they copied right or wrong, purely because I'm unsure of the legal issues. If they've done it legally then the copying I have no problem with. But to be honest I really think they should have designed their own shoe at least.

Do they need to ask permission? I would have thought if they hadn't got permission when they needed it, they'd get sued or something like that?

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 13th 2011, 08:19 PM

What a complete and utter rip off.

If it was a different style of shoe, a name that wasn't a guys name then I'd say it was nice of them to do it but they're doing exactly what Toms are doing, same style, named using a guys name, donating a pair to a third world country. Where is the originality in that?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 13th 2011, 08:20 PM

These sorts of organizations have been around for years but the way they generate money or material wealth for the target poverty community varies. In a sense, you could say Toms Shoes stole the idea from, say, Dave's Shoes and Dave's Shoes stole it from Harold's Canned Goods and so forth. However, "stole" is an inappropriate word to describe these organizations. There's no need to ask for permission unless there's a patent or copyright, which there obviously wouldn't be, thus, it's simply modelling after a certain corporation as opposed to being a deviant. Think of the various fast-food restaurants that currently exist in any given country. They all have the same idea: give cheap "quality" food to hungry customers, or more specifically, give a burger, chicken wings, or whatever the food is to hungry customers. It's like saying Wendy's stole the idea from Harvey's, who stole it from McDonald's who stole it from Burger King, etc... .

Back on topic, I'm not a shoe expert so I'll assume the two organizations have a similar style, otherwise the article in Seventeen would be even more pointless. It's business, in other words, if there's a lucrative field with organizations getting rich, you can bet your ass other organizations are going to want their pot of gold. It may not be very imaginative but that's not necessary.

Also, on a different note, I wouldn't use Seventeen magazine as a reliable source for such information. It's glamorized more than Paris Hilton is. It's geared toward teeny-boppers and teens who want to see something flashy or something to gossip about. If you want to read more about it, find a more reliable source. It's also a guideline on here to cite it so we all can use the same source you're using without having to dig around online to find that particular article.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 13th 2011, 08:51 PM

I suppose the best phrase for this is "imitation is the best form of flattery". It no doubt appears underhanded, but something like this happens quite often and provided the originator's business model is sound they can usually weather the storm. Certainly, Toms appears to be strong enough considering the first report I could find for this was back in 2010 - if anything, Sketchers damaged their own reputation rather than Toms' prospects. It'd certainly be better if Sketchers had shown a little more originality in their effort, but seeing as both are supporting the same worthy cause I can't really complain too much on that front. As long as both can co-exist that's best in the long run after all.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 13th 2011, 09:51 PM

Charlie, the name behind Tom isn't because the creator's name is Tom, it's because it's really short for Tomorrow. As in, buy a pair of shoes today, give a pair of shoes tomorrow. But they had a problem fitting tomorrow on the tag of the shoes so they shortened it tom. I saw the founder on the Ellen DeGeneres Show, and he explained the name and how people can get mixed up with that.

And The Man And xx Master, where you said
Quote:
I wouldn't use Seventeen magazine as a reliable source for such information. It's glamorized more than Paris Hilton is. It's geared toward teeny-boppers and teens who want to see something flashy or something to gossip about.
I never said it was a reliable source or that it just popped out where EVERYONE just had to see it, it was a simple one page add. Nothing too glamorous or something to gossip over. Though I see how you can look at Seventeen as just a gossip flashy magazine, but I'm not going to rant about that, simply because that's how guys see it as.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 13th 2011, 10:41 PM

Well, one quick thing to point out... companies only do this for tax reasons. Every dollar they give to chairity when you purchase any product saves them two in taxes later that could be donated to the children. Buisness is buisness, and if you care to buy the shoes, who cares? But don't delude yourself into thinking you're saving the world.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#8 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 13th 2011, 10:43 PM

I saw Bobs for the first time in a Sketchers store about a year ago. My mouth actually dropped open because they are the EXACT same shoe. Exactly the same, and the whole "Bobs" thing. I mean I just didn't get it, the giving shoes to kid thing is a great idea and the more the merrier but why not even try to hide the fact that they are ripping off Toms.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 16th 2011, 02:04 PM

I have to agree with The Man And XX Master in this one.
There are loads of different non-profits/ organizations/ businesses/ that do the same thing. Look how many non-profits raise money/get food for the hungry people around the world. Or how many clothing stores there are.

Why is it so different if a big name shoe company wants to help out by doing the same thing as a non-profit does? Are you not going to eat at burger king because white castle was the first fast food style of restaurant?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 16th 2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonxNinjas View Post
And The Man And xx Master, where you said I never said it was a reliable source or that it just popped out where EVERYONE just had to see it, it was a simple one page add. Nothing too glamorous or something to gossip over. Though I see how you can look at Seventeen as just a gossip flashy magazine, but I'm not going to rant about that, simply because that's how guys see it as.
I didn't state it because it's, "how guys see it as". I stated that because the information in there is hardly a reliable source and you have to admit, its focus is on glamorizing to the teen girl audience. The thread is about 2 businesses and common business practice, not something you find a silly teen magazine. I would say the same thing if it were in a glamorized teen boy magazine.

Consider the example I gave of fast-food restaurants in my earlier post.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 16th 2011, 08:26 PM

I don't think it's a bad thing if they want to have the same mission as TOMS. My sister & I definitely laughed the first time we saw a commercial for BOBS, because it was so obvious what they were copying, but really it's no big deal. They're doing it for a good cause. Although, I think they could have come up with a more original name & style.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 18th 2011, 06:49 AM

Donate shoes to poor children in first world countries and I might buy a pair.

Guile's Tiers of Importance
Myself.
My Relationships.
My People.
My World.

I won't send a dollar to a third world country as long as children in my country go without. Anyway, it's better for the economy to keep the money internal.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 18th 2011, 07:05 AM

They need food more than they need shoes.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 19th 2011, 10:20 PM

^ Some third world countries don't allow the child to go to school if they don't have shoes. They give the shoes so they can get an education.

- Bert McCracken

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 20th 2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
^ Some third world countries don't allow the child to go to school if they don't have shoes. They give the shoes so they can get an education.
If you give a person who is on the brink of death due to starvation a pair of shoes and say, "here you go, now you can get an education and make money to eat", that's going to be useless. If you give the person food and water but not shoes, they can stay alive first, then get shoes. Food and water are more important than having a pair of shoes.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Haylee. Offline
Just breathe.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 20th 2011, 04:59 AM

I think it's dumb. the end. lol. and pathetic.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 20th 2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
And if we send them flightsims they can all earn Pilot's Licenses and then buy shoes!

Riiiiiiiiight?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 22nd 2011, 02:57 AM

My point to that comment Master And The XX Master is that there are already organizations out there to provide food and water to the needy. I know UNICEF is an organization to provide clean water. I'm not aware of an organization for food, but then again, I can't list off every single organization out there.

- Bert McCracken

(#19 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 22nd 2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Why is it so different if a big name shoe company wants to help out by doing the same thing as a non-profit does?
I have noticed in many cases, when people associate "big-name company" and "donation", they also think of "tax write-off", there is a lot of cynicism apparently.

It definitely seems like this Bobs concept infringes on some of the intellectual property rights of Toms. Of course this puts Toms in a hard spot because if they then try to sue to protect their rights then Sketchers could easily try to make them out as the bad guy simply on the grounds that they're being sued over a charity concept. Quite a twisted situation.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 22nd 2011, 05:10 PM

FlyingTrue: It's true, all of the grocery stores that say "Donate a dollar to a child today" make that much back in taxes, no one, especially a large coporation can afford to do something for nothing. Even if donating money gives you a nice feeling inside, no one just does something without some form of benifit.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 22nd 2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
They need food more than they need an education if they're starving.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Toms Shoes VS. Bobs by Sketchers - October 22nd 2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythan View Post
They need food more than they need an education if they're starving.

As I said in my above post, there are already organizations to help provide those needs. I think it's nice that someone like this organization creator (TOMS Shoes) thought of a more out-of-the-box idea like that because I haven't heard of a group to provide shoes to those who can't get an education because they don't have proper footwear.
I think this idea is neat and will help the kids get a better education. But yes I do agree food and water is extremely important, BUT, like I said, there are already organizations out there to help provide that.

- Bert McCracken

Closed Thread