TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 04:06 PM

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...aring-flag-pin

Thoughts?
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 741519 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 04:10 PM

same with school kids wearing American flags and getting suspended. because Latino kids find it disrespect..

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 04:43 PM

It's stupid really. But, I understand where the hotel is coming from. It clearly stated in their handbooks that it couldn't be worn, and the man went against it. I hope he wins, don't get me wrong, since he deserves to wear whatever he would like. However, it was in the policy.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 04:50 PM

He got what he deserved. He wore the pin despite it being against company policy and he deserves to suffer the consequences. He is not a special case, and just because it's the american flag shouldn't make it a special case. He broke company policy, it's no different than if he wore a Westborro Baptist Church pin.

He signed contracts to work there, and agreed to policy. He screwed up. If your school said "No green hair" and then you show up with bright green hair and refuse to wash the color out, so they suspend you, how is this unfair?

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 05:29 PM

If it's against the rules to wear a pin then they deserve the punishment, regardless of what's on the pin (except maybe special occasions).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ✖Truth✖ View Post
same with school kids wearing American flags and getting suspended. because Latino kids find it disrespect..
Fuck political correctness.

Perhaps he shouldn't have worn it, because it's against company policy, but what kind of facking company supports this kind of shit in the first place? I wouldn't stay in that hotel. I'd rather camp out with alligators.

And if anyone finds the American flag offensive, or the British flag, or Russian or Chinese, they should go shoot themselves for being born a total idiot.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 09:27 PM

BDF: Well said. The flag shouldn't be offensive, but wearing it was against the rules.

Boobies: Exactly.

- Jusitn

Technologic

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 10:25 PM

Regardless of how I feel about the policy, I really don't have any sympathy for the guy. If you knowingly break your employer's rules, what do you expect to happen? If you think a rule is unfair, get the rule changed first, then do whatever it is you wanted. Otherwise you've no one to blame but yourself.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post

Perhaps he shouldn't have worn it, because it's against company policy, but what kind of facking company supports this kind of shit in the first place? I wouldn't stay in that hotel. I'd rather camp out with alligators.

And if anyone finds the American flag offensive, or the British flag, or Russian or Chinese, they should go shoot themselves for being born a total idiot.
While this crap does happen, (Muslim groups want to change Switzerland's flag because it has a cross), this is not a policy about banning the American flag because its offensive, otherwise they wouldn't have the flag flying in front of the place. A hotel wants their employees to look as professional as possible, and that means no personalization of their uniforms. If they allow an American flag, they have to allow other flags as well or else they're being 'discriminative'.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 16th 2011, 11:53 PM

There is obviously more to this story. Regardless of the content of the badge, it is ridiculous to fire someone over wearing a pin instead of just politely pointing out the employee handbook and asking said person to remove it. I very much doubt they walked into work, saw him wearing it and fired him straight away.

The fact that he felt so strongly about it that he went to the press kind of makes me think that he refused to take it off. If that is so, then what is on the pin couldn't matter less.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 17th 2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post

Yet in america in schools you are told not to wear american flag memorabilia

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 17th 2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
There is obviously more to this story. Regardless of the content of the badge, it is ridiculous to fire someone over wearing a pin instead of just politely pointing out the employee handbook and asking said person to remove it. I very much doubt they walked into work, saw him wearing it and fired him straight away.

The fact that he felt so strongly about it that he went to the press kind of makes me think that he refused to take it off. If that is so, then what is on the pin couldn't matter less.
Did you read the article? It said he was asked to remove the pin or go home. He idiotically choose the wrong choice and walked out. He was then fired.

- Justin

Technologic

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 17th 2011, 06:27 AM

I have no sympathy for the guy at all. He was warned of company policy, told the reasoning behind it and was told what would happen if he didn't comply. He chose not to comply, got fired and is now crying about it hoping to change the policy. He's only got himself to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF

You've got tunnel vision by suggesting the company is some big evil organization that finds the US flag offensive so they seek to prevent it from being worn. Bullshit. If the story were changed to the employee being fired because he wore a dolphin pin because he loves dolphins, you wouldn't give a skewed political insight since it's not relevant. That's the exact same thing here.

I agree with you though that if someone finds a country's flag offensive, they're a total idiot and can tackle a speeding 18-wheeler for all I care.

Quote:
Regardless of the content of the badge, it is ridiculous to fire someone over wearing a pin instead of just politely pointing out the employee handbook and asking said person to remove it. I very much doubt they walked into work, saw him wearing it and fired him straight away.
What is ridiculous is the fact you haven't read the story and are basing your comments on fuck knows what, otherwise you look like a fool. If you took the time to read the very short article, you would have noticed the following two sentences in the quote below. That wasn't so difficult, now was it?

Quote:
Sean May told reporters Friday that his manager ordered him to remove his lapel pin or go home. May, a 26-year-old front desk supervisor, went home. He says he plans to fight the policy.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 17th 2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
You've got tunnel vision by suggesting the company is some big evil organization that finds the US flag offensive so they seek to prevent it from being worn. Bullshit. If the story were changed to the employee being fired because he wore a dolphin pin because he loves dolphins, you wouldn't give a skewed political insight since it's not relevant. That's the exact same thing here.
I never said or suggested that lol. Certain companies in are known to set up facked up policies like this, so they appeal to a wider customer base of ethnic minorities who otherwise find shit like national flags offensive, or even "Happy Christmas" written on cards offensive.

I probably didn't come across clearly. Didn't mean to suggest that the company itself finds it offensive. I'm probably getting trigger happy with throwing these accusations around, but I get real annoyed with this shit joke called political correctness.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; October 17th 2011 at 12:44 PM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 18th 2011, 03:31 AM

Sucks for him but the handbook says:
Quote:
‘No other buttons, badges, pins or insignias of any kind are permitted to be worn.‘ No matter an individual’s national preference, political views or religious affiliation, it is a standard regulation which ensures equality for all Grand Performers [employees].”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/flor...ican-flag-pin/

It's not about the flag he could of had a Mexican flag but in the end of the day it will still violate the dress code.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 18th 2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelios View Post
Sucks for him but the handbook says:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/flor...ican-flag-pin/

It's not about the flag he could of had a Mexican flag but in the end of the day it will still violate the dress code.
I agree.

It would certainly be different if he was in trouble for wearing an American Flag pin, he was simply in trouble for wearing a pin, irrelevant of what it represented. Also, in my opinion, work dress codes should be allowed to be more strict, as you choose to work at a company, while yo are required to attend a school.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 18th 2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Hello,

Did you read the article?

Quote:
Sean May told reporters Friday that his manager ordered him to remove his lapel pin or go home. May, a 26-year-old front desk supervisor, went home. He says he plans to fight the policy.

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 19th 2011, 02:56 AM

Um, not to jump in front of the firing squad here, but I think you guys misread Marguerite's post. The thread's title is "Fired for wearing American flag pin;" I read her post as saying that that is both a ridiculous scenario and not what happened.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Hotel Employee Fired For Wearing American Flag Pin - October 19th 2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Um, not to jump in front of the firing squad here, but I think you guys misread Marguerite's post. The thread's title is "Fired for wearing American flag pin;" I read her post as saying that that is both a ridiculous scenario and not what happened.

No we're pointing out she said this:

Quote:
I very much doubt they walked into work, saw him wearing it and fired him straight away.
Quote:
When the article says:

Quote:
Sean May told reporters Friday that his manager ordered him to remove his lapel pin or go home. May, a 26-year-old front desk supervisor, went home.
And he chose GO HOME. THEN he got fired.

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

Last edited by ARTPOP; October 19th 2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: MAD copy-paste :/

Closed Thread