TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 17th 2011, 08:17 PM

This article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-yvo..._b_951758.html

A French legal matter where a woman wanted to divorce her husband because he wasn't "putting out" anymore, and won 8,500 pounds as a result.

So, here's my question.

Do you believe that a partner no longer opting for sex is ok grounds for a divorce? Why or why not?

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 17th 2011, 08:52 PM

Yes. If one person in the relationship is not willing to accommodate the needs of the other, then the issue is no longer sex, it's something much more serious.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 17th 2011, 09:01 PM

Now that's a tough one...

I suppose if we were talking about a complete withdrawal of any kind of physical or emotiona intimacy - being left out in the cold, so to speak - then I would say yes, that can be a ground for divorce. However, I'm not so sure about sex itself, and the more I think about it the less convinced I become. Firstly, sex drive naturally decreases over time as a result of declining hormone levels - the peak is in the 20s if I remember correctly, and it starts to go down from the 30s onwards - so you may genuinely have cases where people have little or no sex drive as opposed to wilfully holding back from their partner. Secondly, it raises all kinds of questions about violation of consent - having sex isn't in the marriage vows or register, after all, and forcing someone to have sex regardless could be a violation of their individual liberty. Finally, as the article points out, it could be twisted into a presumption that sex is a given in marriage, which leads to all kinds of problems when you come to cases of marital rape and sexual assault. So, much as I can sympathise with the complainant in the article, and agree with Matthew's suggestion that it may point to more fundamental problems with the marriage itself, I would be very reluctant to move sex into the realms of obligation because the potential consequences could be so severe.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 17th 2011, 09:15 PM

I don't get it... it's not about sex here at all. If they want different things on such a fundamental level, then they shouldn't be together anymore.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 17th 2011, 09:20 PM

Well... I don't think it should be considered a crime to not have sex with your partner. Saying that would being leaning towards saying that rape and sexual assault are okay because your partner should be having sex with you; at the very least, it would give partners a way to emotionally blackmail their partners into having sex by saying "I'll report you for not having sex with me". People have the right to choose whether they want to have sex and I think it would be very wrong to take that right away.

But in terms of being grounds for divorce, I would agree with that. I mean... there would have to be some sort of guideline because divorcing someone for not having sex with you every day would be unreasonable and divorcing a partner for not being able to have sex (eg. Due to surgery) would be unreasonable, but sex should definitely be a part of marriage.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 18th 2011, 03:18 AM

No, why? because you vow to "Through the good times and the bad."
Yes it's horrible to have a sexless marriage but sex is not the only good thing about a marriage.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 18th 2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelios View Post
No, why? because you vow to "Through the good times and the bad."
Yes it's horrible to have a sexless marriage but sex is not the only good thing about a marriage.
I think the point is that if you deny sex to your partner, you're the one causing the bad times. That's not a good idea.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 18th 2011, 01:40 PM

I say, no. I don't think sex is an obligation in marriage- that's why we have a little thing called marital rape.

No one should "have" to have sex with someone. When someone forces you to have sex, it's non-consensual and it's rape.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 18th 2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I say, no. I don't think sex is an obligation in marriage- that's why we have a little thing called marital rape.

No one should "have" to have sex with someone. When someone forces you to have sex, it's non-consensual and it's rape.
I don't think anyone is saying you should be able to rape your partner.

But what your saying is, if two people get married, and one suddenly decides that "sex is over forever", the other person HAS to deal with it?

I honestly think thats a perfectly fine reason for a divorce. People need to stop pretending sex isn't an important part of a relationship.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 18th 2011, 05:14 PM

I think it can be reasonable grounds for divorce. I mean sex is an important part of a relationship. And honestly if one partner isn't willing to have sex for a LONG time, I'm talking years, they shouldn't be surprised if the other starts looking for it somewhere else. I know a couple where the wife didn't put out for 20 years and he left her for a younger woman, who had divorced her first husband who was much older because they weren't able to have a sex life. And now they are very happy together.

Now in some situations where there's kids involved I think it's not the best reason for a divorce. I read Kathy Griffin's book and her family is Irish Catholic so they didn't believe in birth control. But her grandmother didn't want a lot of kids so after like 3 kids she told her husband that she didn't want anymore kids, and he said well we aren't using birth control, so she said fine then no more sex, and he left her. And because divorce also wasn't looked highly on she told the people in her church that he died.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#11 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 18th 2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying you should be able to rape your partner.

But what your saying is, if two people get married, and one suddenly decides that "sex is over forever", the other person HAS to deal with it?

I honestly think thats a perfectly fine reason for a divorce. People need to stop pretending sex isn't an important part of a relationship.
It is certainly important, but any relationship which stands or falls on the availability of the other person for sex is on pretty thin ice as it is. As I said in my first post, sex drives decline naturally with age, and there are plenty of ways to be intimate with a partner without needing sex provided both have the right mindset about it. Much as many couples may continue to have active sex lives for the remainder of their lives, many others don't. It doesn't mean one group is right and the other is wrong, and in some respects it raises the question of whether sex is being used as a convenient excuse for some to justify infidelity. That may sound a bit harsh, I admit, but on the other hand it's not that hard to keep your fly zipped if you really want to...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 18th 2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

I think the point is that if you deny sex to your partner, you're the one causing the bad times. That's not a good idea.
If that's the case then yes. If you deny your partner sex then there is something else that's wrong many marriages actually divorce because of that.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Do We Owe Our Spouses Sex? - October 19th 2011, 03:13 AM

No, you don't owe your partner sex. But you also don't owe your partner your continuing devotion if being with them is no longer making you happy.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread