TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Eight out of 10 kids are addicted to their mobile phone, according to a poll.
A massive 81 per cent of children aged six to 17 said their mobile was their most important possession and they use it nearly six hours a day.
In an average day, they send and receive 34 texts and make eight calls.
A spokes man for www.youngpoll.com, said: "Children are spending a lot of time on their mobiles.
"But parents feel more at ease knowing they can get in touch."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...5875-21215211/

I'm not surprised by this, but i am surprised at the extent to which they say kids use their mobiles. I mean, who makes eight calls a day?!

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 06:52 PM

That's ridiculous!

Quote:
"But parents feel more at ease knowing they can get in touch."
Then give them freaking emergency phones! No child needs to use a phone that often!

I don't mind aged 14/15 up, but any younger that than is just insane.

My cousin, he's eight, when they moved to the US he got some sort of child's phone that just has like, his mom and dad's numbers programmed to use.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 06:52 PM

I'm also not surprised by this. I think I use my computer far more often than my phone. Sometimes I even forget to check my phone. I do love my phone and would miss it if it was taken away, but that would be because I don't have the option of using it.

--A

(#4 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 07:44 PM

I hate telephones. This would never be me.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LifeSong Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: D

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 08:02 PM

I'm pretty darn addicted to my phone... my girlfriend and I are texting CONSTANTLY throughout the day. I send and receive at least 60 texts on an average day... often more...
And we talk on the phone for an average of about...maybe 2 hours everyday as well.
I feel really silly saying those numbers out loud, but I just love her so much! If my phone was taken away and I couldn't talk to her I don't know WHAT I'd do.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 10:22 PM

Not surprised. Every time I go do something with my sister (shes older) she ALWAYS gets calls and texts....and I'm just wondering how the hell she uses her phone so often...

As for me, I don't use it much...But...hey, where's my phone?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Curioser and curioser . . .
Average Joe

Name: Reid

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 10:44 PM

it doesn't really surprise me

Quote:
aged six to 17
uh. . .

Kids that young have phones?

If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want
them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.
-Albert Einstein

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmello Kid View Post
it doesn't really surprise me

uh. . .

Kids that young have phones?
I got my first phone when i was 8, so it's not that surprising.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 11:06 PM

I keep losing my phone, honestly, I could live without it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I mean, who makes eight calls a day?!
Huh? Either calls is supposed to be a lot? That used to be normal for me when I actually used my cell & not just let it fall behind the sofa & leave it there for a few days, as I do now.

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Care-o-Bear Offline
I <3 him! :)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Caroline

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 11:49 PM

I use my phone a lot. I am always texting my boyfriend throughout the whole day. However, I'm not addicted to the phone, more addicted to him When I'm not texting him, I hardly have anything that I do with my phone, aside from occasionally texting a few other people. I hardly ever make calls on my phone, I just hate phone convesations, always have.
And it doesn't surprise me that there are so many kids addicted to their phones, though. It's quite sad, actually.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 21st 2009, 11:54 PM

I got a cell phone for last Christmas, and I really don't think it was worth the money. I didn't really want one before that, either. I usually leave my phone in my backpack unless I'm going out, and it usually dies then I keep forgetting to charge it again. I'll probably get rid of it when I'm 18 because I don't want to pay that much for something I don't really care for. I don't really understand why people think they're so great, I'm more addicted to Gabriel, my iPod Touch.(Yes I did name my iPod) It pics up Wi-Fi and we have that at home, also I know how to get into the internet at school with it too. It also has all the iPod features as well as lots of space, I have some TV shows on there. He's kind of like a computer/ipod/tv cross.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#13 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 22nd 2009, 12:55 AM

I text a couple times a month, but calling friends is good for those "where are you I'll meet you on the corner of mass ave in 15 minutes near that cafe with the green chairs" moments. I try to get simple phones to avoid getting hooked.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 22nd 2009, 01:00 AM

Heh, one of my roommates is like that. It's hard to actually have a conversation with her at times, she keeps herself so connected to her network through Facebook and texting. Not that I'm complaining, really; everyone has their vices and texting is among the more innocent ones. She does a good job of balancing her "friend network" with her close friends, impressively so, although I do wish she wouldn't prioritize her phone bill ahead of rent when she gets a paycheque. ;>>

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 22nd 2009, 01:46 AM

Figures, there are preschoolers using cell phones nowadays.

As much as I love communicating with my family and friends in an quick manner. I would much rather have a face-to-face conversation with someone.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#16 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 22nd 2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
six to 17 said their mobile was their most important possession and they use it nearly six hours a day.
I don't know about you, but that actually does surprise me. When I was six, I didn't give a damn about cell phones. I'm not even sure I knew what they were, actually. I'm sorry, but if I were a parent I would not let a six year old have a cell phone. First of all, a six year old is not responsible enough to own a cell phone. And even if they were some freakishly responsible kid, there's no reason they need to be making eight phone calls a day, and obsessing over texting. As for the other parts, the only thing that bugs me is people way to obsessed with texting. I can text maybe a couple times an hour at most, otherwise I just go insane. People who don't concentrate on anything but they're cells really can be annoying.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#17 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 22nd 2009, 02:33 AM

That's about how much I use my phone a day HOWEVER, all of my texts and calls are to my parents because I go to school out of state. I do think that kids younger than high school using their phones that much is just ridiculous. But that's because I think kids younger than high school age having cell phones is ridiculous.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 22nd 2009, 02:42 AM

I am not addicted to my phone.I can put it down at anytime.I swear...

Anyway, I know 11 year olds who text and call more than I do, although I don't use my phone that often, so I'm not surprised by this at all.It's just sad really.Attached to a small screen when they could be outside enjoying nature and the beauty of the world around us.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 24th 2009, 05:04 AM

There should be an age limit on cell phones.

We put restrictions on everything else.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
alysaurus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ali

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 27th 2009, 08:12 PM

Wow. I'm sixteen and I just got my first cell phone, and there are six year olds with them? o_O; That's around when I was giving my Barbies mohawks. xD

I usually make about fifty texts a day, but I check it alot because sometimes I need to slide my phone open for it to receive a message sent hours ago. I guess that makes it look as if I'm an obsessed teen.

As for calls, I only make one phone call a day, and if he didn't live a few states away, I would talk to him face-to-face instead. That's just crazy so many people are dependant on phones like that. Almost pathetic. =/

And I want to walk around with you
Just you, just you, just you, just you...
  Send a message via MSN to alysaurus  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 27th 2009, 08:23 PM

I got my only cell phone last year, and 6 year olds have cell phones? SAY WHAT?!

Honestly, texting is just a waste of time.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 27th 2009, 11:04 PM

Psssh Matt.

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x

(#23 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 27th 2009, 11:50 PM

not surprising.... people freak out if you dont text them back straight away and stuff its ridiculous, JUST PUT THE PHONE AWAY. for a few hours at least anyway, lest we miss something important.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 28th 2009, 04:06 AM

I don't use my cell phone a whole lot usually. I may call some friends or parents to see when and which train station they want to pick me up from. However, I think my average calls per day is around 2-3 (including text messaging, which I hate). Then again, some days I make 1 call or zero calls.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 28th 2009, 05:08 PM

I sometimes make more than eight calls per day, but that's usually for scheduling, meetings, transportation, and all-around important things that I need to know. Few of my calls are longer than two minutes.

As for texting... I limit myself, and I've never sent more than five in one day.

I don't understand how kids can think cell phones are such an overwhelmingly important thing to have and use. Six-year-olds? There is no reason for them to have or use cell phones. I don't even---

Excuse me. I need to take this call.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 28th 2009, 05:14 PM

.... And the other 2 kids are the ones with crappy phones.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 28th 2009, 05:52 PM

well i don;t have a cell and i don't know wether that's a good or bad thing

You're amazing just the way you are

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Jane Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 28th 2009, 06:20 PM

I remember my first phone was comparable to a brick haha. I have a love/hate relationship with my phone - I hate the fact I can be contacted at any given moment during the day, they're almost like a tracking device! However I can't leave the house without it, so I would say I'm addicted to it considering the amount I use it! I just feel safer when I have my phone with me. I must say though, a 6 year old with a phone? That's definitely pushing it.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 28th 2009, 06:20 PM

Im addictd to all 52 mobile/cell phones I have.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 29th 2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_me_again View Post
Im addictd to all 52 mobile/cell phones I have.
LOL, must be a fun time forking out those phone bills.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Acerbated Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Niki

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 29th 2009, 07:32 AM

I love my cellphone, but not for calling. The only person who calls me is my mommy ^__^;
I use my cellphone most for alarms texting and the games on it, sometimes the camera. I send around 100 texts a day if I text a lot, otherwise I'll send maybe 30 in a day.

Every time I try to give up, a little voice called hope says "one more try"

(#32 (permalink)) Old
InTheFlood Offline
Walking In The Sun...
I've been here a while

Name: Amelia

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 29th 2009, 12:03 PM

Well that's definitely not me.
I always either lose the charger or the phone
I prefer MSN tbh.

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║▌║
ORIGINAL MCFLY FAN

"Another year over, and we're still together.
It's not always easy, but McFly's here forever
I know you believe me, when you look into my eyes
'Cause McFly never dies, because The Heart Never Lies!"

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Anna Skye Offline
live and let love...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 29th 2009, 01:43 PM

I think it's really scary how addicted little kids have become to technology. Remember the days when kids went outside and used their imaginations? I'm scared for the future of our artists, because when imagination isn't exercised daily, it doesn't work. Eep

peace and love

If you read this signature,
know that someone cares about you.
You are not alone.

<3 Contact me

last cut: 4 august 2010
last purge: 13 march 2010

(#34 (permalink)) Old
lukethekid Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Luke

March 29th 2009, 02:47 PM

this poll totally fits me, but i don't call ppl but like 3 or 4 times, AT THE MOST, but i am txting ppl constantly, b/c it's a easy connection and it's like superfast

super fast*

Last edited by udontno; March 29th 2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: merge--please use the edit button to post corrections

(#35 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 29th 2009, 03:43 PM

I remember getting my first phone aged 10, and it being a brick with the snake game on it
i can't believe 6 year olds have mobiles these days,
aged 6 i was more intrested in dolls and dressing up =\

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Ive been in dark places, Ive survived and learned and become stronger".

(#36 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Eight out of 10 kids addicted to their mobile phone - March 29th 2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_160 View Post
I remember getting my first phone aged 10, and it being a brick with the snake game on it
i can't believe 6 year olds have mobiles these days,
aged 6 i was more intrested in dolls and dressing up =\

The old nokias, lol,

The 5110 & 3210 Both had snake, then the Nokia 3310 had Snake 2

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
Closed Thread