TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 20th 2011, 04:42 PM

Colonel Gaddafi has been confirmed dead. Really, I don't have much to say on the matter but I'm sure some people here will. "He wasn't given a trial" etc.

Associated Press have just reported that he was captured alive and wounded. If he was found dead after an assault, I think I would be indifferent. That he was found alive and then killed...that makes me uncomfortable.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 20th 2011, 04:52 PM

He was probably going to be sentenced to death regardless. At least this way he can't be turned into a martyr by constant news coverage and rally his loyalists against people.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 20th 2011, 05:51 PM

Admittedly the details from the ground are pretty shaky at present, but for me this has the hallmarks of what happened to Nicolae Ceauşescu in Romania back in 1989. I hope it isn't like that, because much as that man (like Gaddafi) did some horrible things it was still a grave violation of justice, but I must say I take no real comfort from knowing he is dead. If anything, I echo Scott's view that it makes me feel uncomfortable. The NTC will have to be very careful as to how they go about things now if they're going to prevent this turning into a powderkeg, which is the last thing Libya needs right now.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 20th 2011, 11:21 PM

Death's too good for people like him.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
California Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Joseph

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 23rd 2011, 09:06 AM

He was a horrible dictator, his own people stood up to him and ended his reign of terror and the horrible things he did, he did not deserve any trail what so ever.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 23rd 2011, 09:14 AM

Oh god. I have to be the one to say it.

...Rest in Peace.

I mean, yeah, he was a horrible person, and in no way am I justifying his actions. But I do not cheer for the death of a fellow human being. I'm VERY glad he is out of power, and that Libya can now begin to build the government that they deserve and that will bring them prosperity. But his family and supporters will suffer just as our family and friends would, and I feel bad for them. So, I hope that they turn out alright, and that the people of Libya can at least build happiness now, even with all of the lives in costed. I hope that it'll be worth it, because often with civil wars like this, the same thing happens in a few years.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 23rd 2011, 08:28 PM

It's a pity he wasn't given a trial in court that he should have had, however, I don't feel remorse or sympathy for how his life ended. It's not simply that he held a reign of power for years during which he terrorized the country, it's also that he had chances to surrender but instead chose to flee and hide like a rat, then finally beg for mercy.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Baxter Offline
Average Joe

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 23rd 2011, 08:50 PM

I'm not going to say Libya is a better place without him, because that sure as hell didn't happen with Egypt and Mubarak. I don't know enough about the NTC, but sometimes a country is better with a dictator, over a regime that cuts off clits and publicly whips citizens for speaking out against their religion.

I bet the UN told the rebels they needed to capture him and put him on trial for international war crimes. There's a Libyan doctor saying he died on the way to the hospital, and the bullet hole in his head was not a contributing factor. 'Cause now we have this:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-...adhafis-death/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 23rd 2011, 09:27 PM

Libya moved into the 21st century because of him, he wasn't as awful as made out to be.

Rest in peace, Colonel.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 23rd 2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Libya moved into the 21st century because of him, he wasn't as awful as made out to be.

Rest in peace, Colonel.
Mhm... Hitler pulled Germany out of recession. I don't think that justifies anything really.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 23rd 2011, 11:19 PM

according to a few news sources, it sounds like the temporary Libya leader is going to make Sharia Law the basis of other laws in the country.

http://tehrantimes.com/index.php/middle-east/3853-libyan-leader-promises-to-uphold-islamic-law

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 23rd 2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
according to a few news sources, it sounds like the temporary Libya leader is going to make Sharia Law the basis of other laws in the country.

http://tehrantimes.com/index.php/middle-east/3853-libyan-leader-promises-to-uphold-islamic-law
Makes you think what the fuck was the point in all this.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 24th 2011, 04:17 AM

I think the entire US thought process on this was...

"Guys... everyone thinks were jackasses for Iraq and Afghanistan, and other stuff.... what do we do?"
"Well, what if we just went along with what everyone else wanted to do... but what do they want to get done that we don't care about?"
"Well there's some leader in Africa they want dead?"
"Yeah! Nobody will mind if we kill some African leader!"
*Bombs Libya*

(#14 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 24th 2011, 04:42 PM

Unfortunate. A death of someone is also terrible, but I'm not sure why everyone is so against him. Of course he was an assbag, he was a dictator. He was corrupt, but what did he do that makes him a "terrible person"? Did he somehow kill lots of people (before they rebelled) or is it just our anti-dictator toughts flowing out? I'm just curious.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#15 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 24th 2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Did he somehow kill lots of people (before they rebelled) or is it just our anti-dictator toughts flowing out? I'm just curious.

- Justin
He ordered his military to fire on crowds of protestors. Gunships and fighter bombers and such.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 24th 2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
He ordered his military to fire on crowds of protestors. Gunships and fighter bombers and such.
Again, this makes him something of an asswipe, but he only did it because he believed it was best for his country. I'm sure Al-queda terroist see North America's involvment in their affairs bad, but we believe it's for the greateter good. I mean it's fine he's dead, at least the people of Libiya are free, but he died for what he believed in, and I see that as a respectable quality, even if they were fighting for the wrong cause.

Also, his army didn't have to listen, I would put the blame on them as well. They could've just said no and stood by the protestors who would obviously apreciate the help.

- Justin

Technologic

(#17 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 24th 2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Again, this makes him something of an asswipe, but he only did it because he believed it was best for his country. I'm sure Al-queda terroist see North America's involvment in their affairs bad, but we believe it's for the greateter good. I mean it's fine he's dead, at least the people of Libiya are free, but he died for what he believed in, and I see that as a respectable quality, even if they were fighting for the wrong cause.

Also, his army didn't have to listen, I would put the blame on them as well. They could've just said no and stood by the protestors who would obviously apreciate the help.

- Justin
Are seriously going to sit there and justify BOMBING CROWDS OF UNARMED PROTESTORS?

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Baxter Offline
Average Joe

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 24th 2011, 06:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXLQAUUpJwU

This is pretty interesting. Nelson Mandela is apparently a huge Gaddifi supporter, which is pretty cool. I wouldn't say the people of Libya are going to be 'free' when most likely they're going to be oppressed even more. It's more of, who's the lesser of 2 evils? The UN just spent billions of dollars in a civil war, backing the side of religious extremists. They were obligated to help the protesters because of what happened, I understand, but the fact that the country is going to be worse off than before is kinda sad.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: The Death of Colonel Gaddafi - October 24th 2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
Are seriously going to sit there and justify BOMBING CROWDS OF UNARMED PROTESTORS?
I'm not justifying anything. I'm saying it's barbaric for us to sit here and get joy from the death of a man who died for what he believed was right.
The armymade their choice to follow his orders, the people make their choice by not disbanding the crowd. I have the feeling other users here are "seriously going to sit there and justify the MURDER OF A MAN?"

I don't think it's a shame he's dead, but he got off his ass and did what he believed was right. I just find it sad that he had to die to see the error in his ways.

- Justin

Technologic

Closed Thread